PDA

View Full Version : Halo Controls - Legacy or Default? (Exp. online players help pls)

kazual
01-23-2002, 02:00 PM
I was used to Legacy because I used to play alot of 007 goldeneye, but after I wen through max payne I am kind of accustomed to default..

Sometimes I think legacy is better and sometimes I think default is better... when I start platying Halo online which control setup will be most effective?

JJaX
01-23-2002, 02:03 PM
There is no better way to play.

Its all about the users preferences. I prefer Default with inverted look and inverted flight. Because i always inverted when playing FPS on the PC , Like Quake + UT etc.....

Besides, Inverted people are always better! :D

:cool:

Xboxmaster2001
01-23-2002, 02:06 PM
Lecacy with inverted thumbstick

BiohazardEHW
01-23-2002, 03:04 PM
Invert? Hell no, that messes me up way too bad. I use Legacy because im used ot 007 games also...and I played Max Payne and can barely move around :)

kazual
01-23-2002, 03:12 PM
Wit Legacy you can't side step (Strafe) And at the same time aim up or down, because strafe and look up or down are on the same thumbpad.. so wouldnt that make the default users have an advantage?

Was just a thought......

SciFi
01-23-2002, 03:29 PM
Legacy, non inverted, and I rarely use sidestep...
about the disadvantag thing, On default you can't turn and aim...
or at least you can with the same problem...

JJaX
01-23-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by kazual
Wit Legacy you can't side step (Strafe) And at the same time aim up or down, because strafe and look up or down are on the same thumbpad.. so wouldnt that make the default users have an advantage?

Was just a thought......

Uhhh as you strafe with the right thumb stick, tilt up / down with right thumb stick to aim up / down. ;)

Im guessing here, But i think im right

JJaX
01-23-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by SciFi
Legacy, non inverted, and I rarely use sidestep...
about the disadvantag thing, On default you can't turn and aim...
or at least you can with the same problem...

With any controls you can do this (GASP!!)

To turn and aim is actually quite simple and i would hope you do this often.

Left thumb stick strafing. Right thumbstick push left to turn left push right to turn right, tilt up/down to aim.

Uh Derrrr, Uh Derrrrrrrr

DayUM people, are you sure youve played FPS games before???
If you cant do simple manuvers like turn and aim at the same time maybe you should just stop....just stop.

http://www.thegoonies.com/Cut_GooniesWithSigns.jpg

SciFi
01-23-2002, 04:19 PM
I ment that as a reply to Kazual...
I didn't mean that you can't turn and aim on defoult, but that you can sidestep and aim on Leagacy...
If you can't turn and aim, you best put down the controler...:rolleyes:

kazual
01-23-2002, 04:44 PM
But if you set it as Legacy then when you strafe right (or left) you need to put the right thumbstick straight to the rigth..

You can't keep moving in sidestep and look up/ down at the same time, since the same thumbstick is used for both commands..

I could just be really dense right now (been studying for the last 48 hours for exams...) But I think I am right..

And I have had quite a bit of FPS experience, just not with console gaming.. with consoles it was goldeneye 64 and perfect dark mostly.. but I played alot of them :)

kazual
01-23-2002, 04:46 PM
Of course, I haven't gone on to my xbox to check if what the hell I am talking about is right or not.. maybe I should do that...

Just disregard this entire post if its true, Id go downstairs to check but I honestly dont have the time..

Edit: Went to check it out to see if I should stop making an idiot out of myself..

What I found was it is possible in legacy also, but to me it was alot more difficult being as how they are on the same analog stick..

Back to the topic : What do you use, Legacy or Default? Why?

SciFi
01-23-2002, 04:48 PM
WOW...
You actually have a good Idea...

aronx
01-23-2002, 07:35 PM
Think for yourself Kazul. Jesus, just plug the game in and try both settings and see which one you like better.

kazual
01-23-2002, 08:43 PM
I just like seeing what other people use.

Do you have a problem with me being curious?

Anyone else have a preferance over legacy and default?

Plewis
01-23-2002, 08:53 PM
i use defalt, non-inverted... mainly because I haven't tried anyother way.

JJaX
01-24-2002, 07:33 AM
Pc gamers are used to the mouse + keyboard combo.

The keyboard handles all the body movment. While the mouse handled all your looking. If you looked left you would walk left. Get it??

This is how default pans out. The left analog = keyboard; Right analog = mouse.

With legacy controls it plays more like golden eye or 'most' console FPS. So some people prefer that.

I prefer default(inverted) as i answered above in a proir reply.

Bundy
01-24-2002, 10:52 AM
I am a default inverted guy. I tried doing non inverted but it just completely messed me up. So i switched to inverted and it is very comfortable to me.

I am very happy with the way Bungiee did the controls for Halo. I was worried how a fps would translate after so many years of fps on a pc.

JJaX
01-24-2002, 10:55 AM
Bundy?
4 touchdowns in one game Al Bundy??

Bundy
01-24-2002, 12:04 PM
well that is how i got my nickname.. my last name is bundren and i was an avid fan of married with children so all my friend started calling my bundy.

guys my dad works with call him al.

:)