PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft f*cks up big time

mattcoxonline
01-23-2002, 04:51 PM
XBOX EURO AD CAMPAIGN REVEALED - FIRST IMAGES!

Adverts link:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/openpic.php?name=..%2Fscreenshots_library%2Fdir_77%2Fvortal_pic_38833.jpg

Microsoft's bizarre European Xbox promotions set to make Sony's Third Place look sensible

17:18 When Xbox launches in Europe on March 14, it will not only change the way we perceive videogames, but fundamentally alter the very fabric of society. Or so Microsoft would have us believe. What could be more obvious? A hairy bar of soap; a stag with handlebars; a manta ray with handles - all inextricably involved in the "redefinition of the work ethic," the arrival of Xbox heralds. Even Geri Halliwell never got this deep, man.
Four vivid images - released today, marking the beginningof Microsoft's European push - are to be used to promote the console, each trumpeting the new Xbox marketing slogan, "Play More." Harvey Eagle, European advertising manager for Xbox states in a press release accompanying the images that: "The advertising perfectly captures the spirit of the Xbox brand." Still confused by the false teeth and ****tail umbrella, we tracked Eagle down, in order for him to explain the meaning behind the campaign.

Eagle - The advertising perfectly captures the spirit of the Xbox brand. The initial wave of executions defines what "Play More" means and as the campaign develops, further executions show how real life changes when you view the world with a "Play More" attitude.

Can you explain the concept of "Play More"?

Eagle - We're all living life harder than we ever did. And one of the things that emerged through research is that it's important to get the balance right between work and play. From the day we're born we instinctively play, but as we go through life, play tends to get relegated in the pecking order, so we're addressing that by encouraging people to make more time in their lives for play.

How is this concept symbolised by hairy soap and stags with handlebars?

Eagle - The brand ads are showing how the world changes when you look at it with a Play More attitude, so a stag becomes an opportunity to, you know, have a ride. A bar of soap with a pube gives an opportunity to make someone smile by creating a face, etc.

Do you not feel you're just being surreal for surreal's sake, and trying to outdo Sony with its rather vague "Third Place" concept?

Eagle - Not at all. It's an entirely different concept from Third Place. I don't really want to comment on what Third Place means, but Play More is very much a positive call to action which is very different from the PlayStation promise.

In the press release there are some quite bold socio-political statements, like: "Through extensive research in Europe we've identified, and will tap into, a change in mindset pervading European youth culture - a redefinition of the work ethic," seemingly linking Xbox to this shift. Isn't it just about playing games?

Eagle - Oh, it's totally about the games - of course. But at the same time, we're building a brand, and a great brand stands for something: we want to champion play.

But, you feel Xbox is part of a redefinition of the European youth's work ethic?

Eagle - Xbox is a new brand, and this is a long journey - something that's going to evolve over a long time. We're being sympathetic to what we think people feel out there.

"Play More" is quite similar to McDonald's tagline, "Enjoy More," isn't it? Do you see certain similarities there?

Eagle - [laughs] I can't say I do.

The website is initially very confusing, but has many entertaining little features. Was this essentially what you were trying to achieve?

Eagle - It's simply: "We made you play and we hope we gave you five minutes of entertainment in your work day" - and that's really all this campaign is about.

What's certain is that the campaign is vivid, striking, and challenges you to think about how it relates to Xbox - which is precisely what Microsoft wants you to do. Once you've checked out the images, we suggest you head straight to the official Play More website, which is filled with things to do, nice touches, and media to experience. Backed by such a campaign. expect the mighty Xbox to garner a huge amount of attention in the run up to the March 14 launch. You can run, but you can't hide.

LynxFX
01-23-2002, 04:59 PM
And how has Microsoft f*cked up exactly? It is just another weird marketing campaign.

As for the initial posters they all make sense except the pubes on the bar of soap. That is just freaky. :D

Toonz
01-23-2002, 05:11 PM
I agree where is the ---- up

l Maximus l
01-23-2002, 05:27 PM
I don't think they messed up...I mean, come on...this is priceless! lol...not because they are false teeth...because all the teeth are straight when it's a UK add! :D

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/screenshots_library/dir_77/vortal_pic_38838.jpg

E-Xbox
01-23-2002, 06:37 PM
hey man
those are sweet advertisements
i mean come on, its just OUT OF THIS WORLD just like the XBOX!!!!
i love it
hehe
lata :)

aronx
01-23-2002, 07:28 PM
Remember, MS is advertising to Brits They have to dumb them down so people over there can understand.

arnie
01-23-2002, 07:58 PM
that shiot is awesome, I (personally) do not like it, but the Brits are kinda outta it anyway. So they'll probably love it too.

monkeyman
01-23-2002, 08:00 PM
hehe awsome i kinda like it

XBA Staff
01-24-2002, 06:28 AM
Actually in a TV advertisement you try to have some kind of a meaning or try to send out a certain message about your product. But with these I see no message in it. It seems more comic than is should.

I don't care what anyone else says...the First DC commerical with that lady stealing the DC in Tokyo and running through the streets was one of the best console advertisments ever.

LynxFX
01-24-2002, 10:22 AM
Actually Tyrell I think Microsoft is trying to send out a huge message with this ad campaign. Heck it is spelled out for you on every poster. "Play More". Can't get more specific than that.

If anything they are made so that you actually remember them later. I see this ad campaign as something that Nike would do, or has done in the past. They are doing it now even with their new Training, truning or whatever it is commercials.

l Maximus l
01-24-2002, 11:46 AM
I just look at it and notice a sense of irony. The picture with the dentures actually has straight teeth! What's up with that? I thought this was an add for the UK? :D

alien_69
01-24-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mattcoxonline
A bar of soap with a pube gives an opportunity to make someone smile by creating a face...
:rolleyes:

mattcoxonline
01-24-2002, 12:34 PM
Maximus says:
The picture with the dentures actually has straight teeth! What's up with that? I thought this was an add for the UK?
LOL, true, true....and they're white too... :(

aronx (aka *******) says:
Remember, MS is advertising to Brits They have to dumb them down so people over there can understand.
Shut it jackass...
Brits dumb?? How the hell can an American say that...
Fair nuff, there's a few yanks that are clever but you get jackass' like you who don't know jack sh*t.
Your nation is stereotypically (sorry, too big a word for you) dumb...

I, along with many other people, will disagree with you on this, but I'm not even gonna get started.

aronx
01-24-2002, 02:02 PM

Shut it jackass...
Brits dumb?? How the hell can an American say that...
Fair nuff, there's a few yanks that are clever but you get jackass' like you who don't know jack sh*t.
Your nation is stereotypically (sorry, too big a word for you) dumb...

I, along with many other people, will disagree with you on this, but I'm not even gonna get started.

Point proven once again.

l Maximus l
01-24-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by aronx

Point proven once again.

Aronx..shut the hell up, dude. Let's not turn this fun website into a racist dump.

mattcoxonline
01-24-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
Aronx..shut the hell up, dude. Let's not turn this fun website into a racist dump.
Thanks man.
I didn't see the point of why he had to make that comment anyway.
I mean, it's not as if Brits come on here and slag Amercians off... ;)

l Maximus l
01-24-2002, 02:13 PM

Thanks man.
I didn't see the point of why he had to make that comment anyway.
I mean, it's not as if Brits come on here and slag Amercians off... ;)

And, why would they? Americans and British folks are the two greatest nations on the planet. We are united together. I say we request to ban aronx for that statement. That's WAY over the line.

xboxking
01-24-2002, 10:42 PM
Maximus, what about us Aussies.
Surely we're up there with the yanks and the brits.

GokuX
01-25-2002, 12:17 AM
I thought the bar of soap was supposed to look like Mario. I seriously thought they were making fun of Mario/Nintendo somehow when I saw the pic before I read the article.

DOOM
01-25-2002, 08:20 AM
Dude, That's Typical Euro Humor! I Love The Deer With The Handle Bars On His Antlers, LOL!!!

david1231231
01-25-2002, 08:12 PM
I would hate to get involved in this but I do have to say that British humor is rather dry and confusing. I have seen many British Comedian on TV and they never seemed to make me laugh mostly because the jokes made no sense. Don't think I have anything against the British, because I don't, it is just that they have no sense of humor. As for the comment about Americans being dumb, I will have to disagree with you, during the relatively short period of time America has been around (about 220 yrs) we have gone to a country with almost nothing to THE NUMBER ONE WORLD POWER in the world. Compare this to other countries in the world including Britian and China, and I think that Americans are pretty smart (granted the increasing amount of ****heads) .How was this done, with the ingenuity and intellect of AMERICANS. I for one am proud to be an American and hope that you will get over the idea that Americans are dumb mattcoxonline

David1231231