PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 2 not within the next year. Halo 2 "On the way."

LTM360
07-30-2004, 03:21 PM
Microsoft CEO says their next-gen console is at least 12 months away; corporate spokespeople decline further comment.
Yesterday, Microsoft held its annual financial analyst meeting at its corporate headquarters in Redmond, WA. Besides addressing bigger issues such as the software behemoth's search-engine war with Google, CEO Steve Ballmer also talked about Microsoft's future plans for its games division.

Unfortunately for gamers, it's looking more like far future plans. Although he said the company is "hard at work" on its next-generation console, Ballmer flat-out said "there's no new Xbox in the next year."

Normally, such a blunt statement's meaning would be unequivocal, but in the world of corporate finance, his words could be interpreted many ways. Did Ballmer mean the next Xbox wouldn't arrive in the next 12 months or calendar year 2005? Or did he mean the console wasn't coming during Microsoft's next fiscal year, which ends on June 30, 2005?

Though the latter scenario could mean that the next-gen Xbox could still be released during the fourth quarter of 2005--as many analysts have suspected---Ballmer did not elaborate. "That's all we'll say," he told the conference. He wasn't kidding, either. Microsoft spokesmen contacted by GameSpot said, "We’re going to decline commenting on Steve Ballmer’s remarks."

Ballmer also did not say if the Xbox Next would be on display at next year's E3, where rivals Sony and Nintendo will be showing off their next-generation consoles. However, he did re-confirm Halo 2 was "on the way" and the Xbox platform now has "over 400 games."

-Gamespot (www.gamespot.com)

Well, I think we all knew that Xbox 2/Xenon was still more than a year away, but it's good to see confirmation of that.

I'm getting sick of XBA's news people! You all are good!
I didn't notice "Halo 2 was 'on the way'" on the front page report! :cuss:

You guys are doing a grand job...
/me feels stupid.

Whizard97
07-30-2004, 03:54 PM
Come on, why launch next year when the XBOX 1 is still building steam.... ??

TheCovenant
07-30-2004, 05:41 PM
yea man, i want the next gen systems to be pushed back as far as possible. im enjoying my xbox still, and i dont want to have like, 1 year of halo before i have to get a new xbox with no backwards compatibility...

that would blow...

Variation-XBA
07-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Now people are going to take that quote all wrong and use it for the stupid Aug24th thing... Sigh

LTM360
07-31-2004, 09:50 AM
Now people are going to take that quote..." "and use it for the Aug24th thing...

Because that's what it means. :)

ShaDovV RyDer
07-31-2004, 10:45 AM
LOL AMEN LTM...we know that halo2 has got to be comin out on the 24th and thats further proof right there in that article.

Variation-XBA
07-31-2004, 01:11 PM
Because that's what it means. :)

Give it up.... >_<

AlBoogy
07-31-2004, 03:16 PM
Im with Variation. Please give it up already. Unicorns exist and you can find gold at the end of a rainbow too.

l Maximus l
08-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Well, so, we don't have exact confirmation yet... But, I do have some good news:

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geiko.