PDA

View Full Version : Bytes per hour

aronx
01-24-2002, 02:39 PM
I'm curious. If I'm playing Halo online, approximately how many bytes per hour am I transmitting/receiving? I only ask this because my ISP has 3G limit per month (I can upgrade this amount for a price, if necessary).

LynxFX
01-24-2002, 02:47 PM
When you play with the tunnel service through gamespy it actually has a counter of bytes sent and bytes received.

Depending on how much you play I think you will hit exceed that 3 gig limit before the month is up.

I'll have to check to see what the final numbers are after like an hour of playing.

wizkid918
01-24-2002, 05:08 PM
if it is anything like PC games it isnt very big, My ISP used to have a 2.5gb limit, i played all the time, never had a problem

manboy
01-24-2002, 05:56 PM
It's a lot bigger than PC games. That is why it requires a broadband connection.

LynxFX
01-24-2002, 05:58 PM
I agree that it is much bigger. This is also why servers lag on Gamespy with just 4 players when there is no lag on a server with 32 players for a pc game like UT.

The upstream is the biggest requirement that I can see for online xbox gaming.

wizkid918
01-24-2002, 06:50 PM
there is a lot of lag in UT because 20 of the 32 are 56kers, and sure, it is on a DVD making it big, but the whole game is using programmable shaders to use the nvidia chip making programming a lot smaller, and if there is no lag, then there cant be too much data being thrown around, ive been in some pc games with all cable users and lag, i think a lot of it has to do with the net code, and most likely the xbox games net code is gonna kick arse but i dont think you have to worry about gigs being sent through while playing your games, there is no way..yet