PDA

View Full Version : FPSs in a post-Halo 2 World

Peepers
08-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Taking for granted that Halo 2 will be awesome, one has to wonder what will become of all the other Xbox FPSs once Halo 2 comes out. How long will it be before there's even market for other FPSs again? I mean it's kind of hard to sell us even a Cadillac of video games if we already have Rolls-Royce's. What about the FPSs to be released after 11/9/04? Do even the best of them have a hope of competing against the combined strength of Mastercheif and Xbox Live?

How will the FPS world be different after 11/9/04?

Koopa
08-01-2004, 02:29 PM
it will be just fine. doom3 and half life 2 and far cry and stalker and unreal 3 and battlefield 2 are more than ready to compete with halo 2.

on xbox though, idunno. republic commando looks nice.

but contrary to popular belief, halo 2 is not the only big game coming out soon.

RockTheCasba
08-01-2004, 03:00 PM
they said halo 2 has already gotten 700 thousand copies preordered in my paper.

LiquidX
08-01-2004, 03:00 PM
it will be just fine. doom3 and half life 2 and far cry and stalker and unreal 3 and battlefield 2 are more than ready to compete with halo 2.

but contrary to popular belief, halo 2 is not the only big game coming out soon.

Really the only FPS that can compete from that list is Half-Life 2 IMO.

I think after Halo 2 there will be a flood of "Halo 2 killers" that all fall short. To me Halo 2 looks like the peak of first person shooters this generation. Halo 2 will be de-throned in like 5 years.

TOTTEN
08-01-2004, 03:08 PM

No it looks ****ing awsome. But how many people will buy it every one of my friends thought it sounded good untill they heard starwars then it was shot down. Half life 2 will compete with it but I dont know about how well it will do.

Casper
08-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Really the only FPS that can compete from that list is Half-Life 2 IMO.

I think after Halo 2 there will be a flood of "Halo 2 killers" that all fall short. To me Halo 2 looks like the peak of first person shooters this generation. Halo 2 will be de-throned in like 5 years.
5 years? You're kidding me, right? I mean, you have to look at it that probably about 50% of XBox owners are this die-hard about Halo, hence why they own an XBox. But for me, I look at games like Ghost Recon 2, Half Life 2, Doom 3, and other shooters that aren't so run-and-gun'ish which I know I'll be 'flamed' for...but that's just my type of games.

I will take a strong tactical shooter that requires pin-pointing of a strategy and tactics over a game that is a run around, blast em up chaos scene anyday - but that's just me I bet.

Splinter-Seal
08-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, Halo is a fantastic game, and I still play it to this day. I am sure that Halo 2 will be an icon in the multi-player world for a long time, not to mention having it's single player campaign played to hell and back.

As wonderful as Halo is, on occsasion I need/want something different. I played Halo religiously until Counter-Strike, and Rainbow Six 3 hit the shelves. Now, by no means am I saying that those two games are better than Halo, but I do have alot more fun with them. Yes, it took the aspect of multi-player, and XBox LIVE to pull me off games like Halo, but they still managed to do it.

I predict that upon Halo 2's release, Ubi is going to be pummeled for a while, in terms of "Most popular online game". However, Ubi is not exactly stupid, and I assume they will have something up their sleeve. I use Ubi Soft, because as we know, Rainbow Six 3 has taken the LIVE world by storm, and I figure it's safe to assume they will again. Do I think Black Arrow is going to be a chock under Halo 2's wheel? Hell no. But, I do think something will be in less than 5 years. Be interesting to wach how it unfolds.

Koopa
08-01-2004, 06:33 PM
No it looks ****ing awsome. But how many people will buy it every one of my friends thought it sounded good untill they heard starwars then it was shot down. Half life 2 will compete with it but I dont know about how well it will do.

on xbox maybe not as well, but i'm sure it will do veerryy well on pc.

Whisper
08-01-2004, 09:04 PM
5 years? You're kidding me, right? I mean, you have to look at it that probably about 50% of XBox owners are this die-hard about Halo, hence why they own an XBox. But for me, I look at games like Ghost Recon 2, Half Life 2, Doom 3, and other shooters that aren't so run-and-gun'ish which I know I'll be 'flamed' for...but that's just my type of games.

I will take a strong tactical shooter that requires pin-pointing of a strategy and tactics over a game that is a run around, blast em up chaos scene anyday - but that's just me I bet.

But dude you are the suxoRz!!lolo11eleven1! at RS3

# 1 Stunner
08-01-2004, 09:24 PM
halo 2 will keep its reing as long as the online doesnt gget hacked or cheated real easy, i have faith in bungie in this..

l Maximus l
08-02-2004, 12:49 AM

That's because Halo requires fast reflexes and true gaming ability...not hiding and camping all day just to pop someone in the head when they decide to walk after camping for 5 minutes :p

Peepers
08-02-2004, 01:32 AM

I've never really played Half-Life or the Doom series, so I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think you could group these games with GR as a tactical shooter. In fact, I'd always assumed that they were even more "run 'n gun" than Halo...

If my assumptions about this are wrong, that would drastically change my thoughts about these upcoming games.

I still think Halo 2 will be the undisputed champion for the entire duration of the Xbox console. The only way this won't be the case is, as Stunna said, if cheating and hacking become rampant. But unless there's some irreperable glitch (like the lean glitch in RS3), I'd trust Bunjie to resolve those issues.

SoundX
08-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Well if you look at FPS games that came out after Halo Combat Evolved, you can see that they use alot of ideas from that game. Which, in the end made FPS Potentially better than they would be without those ideas in their mind. Even if some people incouraged developers to be original.

Halo 2 is no doubt going to have the same outcome, six months down the line after its release we will be seeing and playing alot of games that remind us of it.
Sure at first it will be hard to compete with this killer game but my guess is nearly all Xbox/FPS owners will have Halo 2 after six months or so. Which will make it easier for other developers to drop in with their new ideas and make some money.

Basicaly, it can only lead to good things in my opinion.

thrAsher
08-02-2004, 08:04 AM
If only Halo 2 WOULD lessen the number of FPS's being developed for the Xbox!!! I'd love it.

Hopefully Fable shows MS that RPG's can be both good sellers, as well as genre-busters, on the Xbox and we get a whole slew of Japanese RPG ripoffs and Fallout wannabes. I'd be psyched to no end...

Peepers
08-02-2004, 02:26 PM
SoundX and thrAsher both make good points. I agree that Halo 2 will have a distince influence on FPS's to follow, but as thrAsher says, it could also crowd out the current and future competition and cause developers and publishers to look to other genres. By the same token, Fable could also crowd the RPG market.

Only time will tell what ramifications these groundbreaking games will have.

mattgame
08-02-2004, 03:18 PM
I think it will only make people work harder to make better FPS games which will benefit us. Halo set the bar really high maybe even too high for Halo 2 but we have to wait and see.

SoundX
08-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Lets be honest here, six months after Halo, how many people went out and bought Red Faction 2 hoping for another Halo?

Another point I want to make. I find that when I complete a fantastic game like Halo for instance, it fuels my desire for more games of that genre and more games that play like that. So really, when Halo 2 has died down a bit, developers will have a key moment to swoop in and start handing out the FPS goods and get alot of sales.

However crappy they turn out to be... *throws red faction 2 against the wall*

ShaDovV RyDer
08-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Halo2 is gonna be the top game for a hell of a long time...i think that itll be the best game from the day it comes out to the day halo3 is gonna be released but thats my opinion...im lookin forward to all the games comin out after halo2 cause they will all try to live up to that standard...some games that i think can compete with halo2 are HL2 Doom3 and maybe GR2 as of right now...will they be better??? probably not but that can compete with halo2 cause of the fan base they have...a game like fable is high up there but i have a gut feeling itll be nothing compared to H2...an rpg i thought could have competed with H2 was TFLO but that got canceled...the gaming world is gonna be changed extremly after Halo2 cause delvelopers know that if they cant make a game that even equals that of halo they will not sell but a couple thousand games.

skorp
08-03-2004, 07:18 PM
I think the only games that will be in the same category as Halo2 (FPS)will just probably be Half-Life2 and DOOM3 in graphics, gameplay, sound (effects/soundtrack), story, etc... If not as close maybe about the same... Who knows?!

These games are in a league of there own supposedly. The only way gamers are gonna be completely satisfied with new games coming out after these three are released is if they make them just as good or better, please. [hoping :D]

I'm just glad all three will be out for the Xbox/PC.... :hump:

mattgame
08-04-2004, 08:42 AM
Doom 3 looks great. However, I don't think it's gonna be Halo 2.

SoundX
08-04-2004, 08:56 AM
If gamers are expecting more Halo 2 Standard FPS, then the Xbox will need more First Person Shooter concentrate developers. You can't rely on the lights of EA for quality FPS, that's why they got the rights for TS3, so they could bring strength to their weak catolog. They make weak and average First Person Shooters.

I can't actualy think of five quality FPS on the Xbox. The word Halo comes to mind, and then blank.

Think about it, we have Free Radical, Bungie, Half Life 2 developers (what are they called again) and hopefuly ID if they start producing more console games. There are no other developers who can create the master pieces that we desire. It'll be awhile after Halo 2 untill we find another FPS that even comes close to its standard.

ShaDovV RyDer
08-04-2004, 09:58 AM
i think the name of the HL2 developers is valve but i cant remember...neways if u ask me for a list of the top fice FPSs on the xbox i would have to say Halo of course, then R63 (no its not amazingly good but the relplay value with online makes it an amazing game IMO) next comes CounterStrike (not the prettiest but fast and i never get bored of it) after that i get the blank because none of the others can compare to this game IMO...i mean i like replay value with live and no other FPS live game sticks out as even good...but after Christmas i can garantee u that i can give u a top ten.

Casper
08-04-2004, 10:00 AM
If gamers are expecting more Halo 2 Standard FPS, then the Xbox will need more First Person Shooter concentrate developers. You can't rely on the lights of EA for quality FPS, that's why they got the rights for TS3, so they could bring strength to their weak catolog. They make weak and average First Person Shooters.

I can't actualy think of five quality FPS on the Xbox. The word Halo comes to mind, and then blank.

Think about it, we have Free Radical, Bungie, Half Life 2 developers (what are they called again) and hopefuly ID if they start producing more console games. There are no other developers who can create the master pieces that we desire. It'll be awhile after Halo 2 untill we find another FPS that even comes close to its standard.
Um, there's also this small company called UbiSoft - but no, I guess they wouldn't make any FPS' either :confused:

MajorTom
08-04-2004, 10:31 PM
In my opininon Halo is still the best FPS for Xbox. The single player is a bit boring now after playing it many times but the multiplayer is still better than Rainbow Six 3 or or any other game on XBox Live. If Halo was on Xbox Live then those games would have selled a lot less and would be played a lot less.
Now Halo 2. It's gonna be even better than Halo. And it's gonna be on Xbox Live. So after playing thorugh the single player 5 times, if you get bored you cna play it on live. If somehow you get bored of playing the multiplayer on Live (which wouldn't be a very easy thing), jsut wait until they have new maps for download. And we all know damn well that there will be a lot of those because it's the only game that will matter.

l Maximus l
08-05-2004, 01:31 AM
I will likely not even buy another XBox game for a long ass time after Halo 2 is out.

SoundX
08-05-2004, 04:31 AM
Um, there's also this small company called UbiSoft - but no, I guess they wouldn't make any FPS' either :confused:

Although they are capable of great First Person Shooters their hardly FPS concentrated developers.

Peepers
08-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Although they are capable of great First Person Shooters their hardly FPS concentrated developers.

They're as concentrated on FPS games as anybody else. Seriously, Ubi is one of the most prolific makers of FPSs out there and they're a pretty small studio.

TheCovenant
08-06-2004, 04:47 AM

wtf? yea lets not forget turok evloution 2 :rolleyes:

Doom 3, got NOT the stellar ratings everyone expected. There arent any enemies that you cant simply back track to a corner, and wait for with a shotgun with. Scripting keeps you from playing startegically, and the AI is simply, sub-par.

But, uhm, its pretty.

Farcry? Battlefield 2 ?Stalker? UNREAL 3?!?!?! you cant post games that havent been announced...all's i heard about an unreal 3 engine is the dark sektor engine. Which looks nice, but not that far form halo 2 and doom 3.

+unreal 2 was suck. UT2k4 was the best of the new generation UT's and even it doesnt quite measure up to the original halo (im not talking graphics here).

Farcry, stalker...now your just simply proving his point. Games after halo 2 look bleak.

Half life two seems to have the right idea, but other than that, i dont think any game is going to cut it. Remember how long it took for a game to dethrone half life 1?

You seem eager to prove that pc is simply better than xbox:huh:, or at least thats the vibe im getting. Anyone else feeling this comin' form koopa?
:confused:

dances with broom sticks
08-06-2004, 08:48 PM

I prefere halo to the others, I find halo is easier to play. I can't do anything on a game like doom 3 mulitplayer. I find halo to be more tactical and easy to make strategies for.

TheCovenant
08-07-2004, 06:03 AM
casper, yo uknow you're the man right?

that said, i dont understand why you wouldnt like a game like halo ver a game like gr2.

I mean, halo isnt exactly a twitch shooter, its no quake or unreal. Halo takes strategy, i mean bungie even said they make it a thinking mans game. Except instead of giving you uber power in your guns and making you really weak (one shot kills...), he give syou not so much power in the guns (as they are all balanced) and stronger characters.

gr2 and halo are simply inverted gameplay aspects. Well, not simply, but close. I htink halo offers up different real time strategies than gr2, but primarily, they both make you think strategically, and make you plan your attack before you go out there and do yo thang....

SoundX
08-07-2004, 09:28 AM
You seem eager to prove that pc is simply better than xbox:huh:, or at least thats the vibe im getting. Anyone else feeling this comin' form koopa?

No, I see that he's trying to prove PC is better for First Person Shooters though. Which it is.

CMX Jedi
08-07-2004, 10:02 AM
FPS are alot better for the PC than they are for the xbox, i wish MS would make a key board that can use the headset, than we could use our own mouse, than it would be perfect.

SoundX
08-07-2004, 10:26 AM
I have the datel keyboard and a USB converter, I'm waiting on the developers for compatibility. Which, probably will never happen.

Peepers
08-08-2004, 01:27 AM
FPS are alot better for the PC than they are for the xbox, i wish MS would make a key board that can use the headset, than we could use our own mouse, than it would be perfect.

It depends on the game. With UT 2004 you're definately right; with a game like Halo, I think you're wrong.

But let's keep this thread on topic. We're here to talk about how the FPS genre will change as a result of Halo 2; this thread is not for PC vs. Xbox debate.

Cryogenic Pyro
08-08-2004, 02:06 AM
wtf? yea lets not forget turok evloution 2 :rolleyes:

Doom 3, got NOT the stellar ratings everyone expected. There arent any enemies that you cant simply back track to a corner, and wait for with a shotgun with. Scripting keeps you from playing startegically, and the AI is simply, sub-par.

But, uhm, its pretty.

Farcry? Battlefield 2 ?Stalker? UNREAL 3?!?!?! you cant post games that havent been announced...all's i heard about an unreal 3 engine is the dark sektor engine. Which looks nice, but not that far form halo 2 and doom 3.

+unreal 2 was suck. UT2k4 was the best of the new generation UT's and even it doesnt quite measure up to the original halo (im not talking graphics here).

Farcry, stalker...now your just simply proving his point. Games after halo 2 look bleak.

Half life two seems to have the right idea, but other than that, i dont think any game is going to cut it. Remember how long it took for a game to dethrone half life 1?

I don't agree with you at all. First of all, Farcry is released, and it's an awesome game. Second of all, Unreal Tournament 2K4 is much better than Halo in everything but single player. The game wasn't made to be single player centred. The graphics are better, no need to prove my point there. The gameplay is better. There are several different game modes, mutators, and such which make the game more enjoyable for longer amounts of time, and make a large variety of gameplay. All this and there is no mention of mods yet. There are several good mods for Unreal Tournament 2K4. Frag.Ops and Red Orchestra to name a few. These bring even more longevity and life to the game. Frag.Ops for instance has much better graphics than UT2K4 itself.

I've seen a video of the Unreal 3 engine that was produced quite a while ago. The Unreal 3 engine leaves Doom 3 trying to catch up, and other games on their knees, begging for mercy.

Another thing is that Doom 3 wasn't made to have amazing AI. Tell me, are zombies supposed to be smart anyway? It was made to immerse you in ways unlike any other game before, and it succeeded at that. The lighting, the amazing graphics, the sound, and the WTF moments all come together in one package that makes you **** your pants, and want more. This game is also highly moddable, but none are yet to be seen, so soon after the release.

Now, I'll put in my say of what the thread is supposed to be about. I think that the release of Halo 2 will do nothing. Many other great games have been released, but it has always been a long time after their release that they have been de-throned, or even challenged. The only thing the release of Halo 2 is going to bring is more sub-par "Halo Killer" games, and a whole shwack of new fanboys.

What makes a great game... Fresh new ideas, or ideas that are built upon to create a fun playing experience. This is why all the games bent on "killing" another game fail. They try to take the same ideas that the game in question had, and implement them without giving anything new to the playing experience. That, or they implement the ideas in a way that just doesn't work. Had they used the fresh ideas in a fashion that gave something extra to the experience, the game might have been good.

Another reason why great games don't really have much impact on the industry is because a lot of companies just don't care. They just keep creating the same stuff over and over, no matter what happens outside their cardboard box, which they haven't ventured forth from for twenty years.

This is why I think a game like Halo 2 won't bring anything positive to the market other than Halo 2.

Developers need to crawl out from their cardboard boxes, trim their twenty year old beards, and take a shower. We don't want the same old thing. We want something new. Why do you think trends change all the time? People don't want to keep doing the same thing over and over.

Sequels like Halo 2 are great because they try new ideas, as well as put the same great ideas from the last one into one new re-energized package. Another such example would be Diablo, or Doom 2. The sequels were so much different from their pre-decessors that it is amazing.

Some sequels on the other hand are utter garbage, and would have been better off as an expansion. If you're going to label it a sequel, add something new, don't just add new campaigns and an arm that scratches our ass while we play the game.

And that, folks, is the longest post I have ever made at my time here at XBA.

SoundX
08-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Another reason why great games don't really have much impact on the industry is because a lot of companies just don't care. They just keep creating the same stuff over and over, no matter what happens outside their cardboard box, which they haven't ventured forth from for twenty years.

True, so true.

TheCovenant
08-11-2004, 05:21 AM
wow, so many pc enthusiasts.

the nouse and keyboard are good for accuracy, but the controller has its advanteges.

With the controll, the joystick is pressure sensitive, so it makes moving or walking a lot easier, which matters a lot in halo, where a moiton sensor will detect you only base don how fast you're moving.

A joystcik also never runs out of room (mousepad).

I ouwldnt go as far as saying that shooters are better on pc , period. otherwise, why would you even buy an xbox? all's we got is shooters...

2k4 more fun than halo? that very opinion based. Graphics are better, sure, but uh, halo came out in 2001, 2k4 came out in, well, its in the title. Not to mention that since they have to make the engine comaptible with most video cards, , your 9800 pro or whatever isnt being used, and probably wont be, used to its full potential.

i mean, the xbox has a geforce 3, and a it still runs doom 3 close to a 9800 pro.

Of course since the xbox is a gaming machine, then you wont have little accidents like freeze ups, or incompatibility errors.
]
and what about farcry? pc hasnt' seen much of good games in the recent years. Most game websites even stated their dissappointment in the last two e3 showing for pc.

Im not saying pc is not as good as an xbox, far form it, but i am stating that the pc is not waaaay better than an xbox. Dolby digital support comes with most xbox games, anbd is supportd by the system. I d have to buy a new sound card for my pc...

anyways, i guess many people dont have the faith in halo 2 that i may have. No game has recieved as much hype as halo 2, as long as ive been a gamer.

Doom 3 got an 8.9 at ign, and an 8.5 at gamespot...

im sure it immerges you , but what if you dont have the sound? or the graphix card? or cpu? then your going from room to room, blasting away at zombies and other hellish creatures, over and over.

turning a corner and waiting for that hell hound to come at you, gets old. If it werent for the design and architecture, this game would be very boring. well maybe not very boring...but you know it wouldnt be as good, if this were say, aliens, as opposed to hell.

Unreal engine wont be seeing it anytime soon. so you cant really say anything there.

SUre, the shooters that koopa mentioned are good shooters, but do they stalk up to halo 2? i mean really, wihtout being a fanboy of either, can you really say that they have garnered as much interest, specualtion, and hope in gamers, as halo 2?

honestly?

i mean i k now a lot of poeple who didnt think halo 1 was good. Everyone is entitled to their own opinioon, but halo2 looks damn good. I guess i cant really say much without actually playing the game, but none of the upcoming pc shooters look as good as halo 2.

Half life 2, maybe, we'll just have to play both and see.

NOw remember folks, im debating here, so no flames plz.

Cryogenic Pyro
08-11-2004, 01:15 PM
The Xbox won't even get close to running Doom 3 as good as a 9800 Pro on a half-decent PC. The Xbox shots look like they are under Medium quality, they might even be Low. My computer with a 9600 Pro can run it on Low just fine, and I'm sure I could run it fine with a worse video card as well. If every PC looked exactly the same, it would be a lot easier to code things for much better FPS. Basing an argument on this alone is futile.

Your argument about the mouse pad has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Run out of room? Only if you have a crappy computer desk, or even if you have a mousepad at all.

Your argument about nothing coming out with better graphics doesn't have any substance. How are we, the gamers supposed to have any say in the outcome of what developers produce? We don't, and that's the reason so many games are crappy.

I'm not here to debate any crap that the Xbox is better than the PC or the PC is better than the Xbox. That's for you to decide, because that's not what this thread is about. My opinion has already been stated.

Now let's use this thread what it was for. Debating why or why not, and how Halo 2 will change FPSes in the future.