PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates Wants Nintendo!

Koopa
08-04-2004, 01:49 PM
German magazine Wirtschafts Woche reported today that Microsoft would jump at the possibility of acquiring Nintendo if the opportunity presented itself. Microsoft co-founder and chairman Bill Gates told analysts in the United States that he would immediately make an offer IF Nintendo's majority shareholder, billionaire Hiroshi Yamauchi, were ready to sell.

What would happen if Microsoft acquired Nintendo? Would the Xbox and the Revolution fuse into one single console? Would you like to see Mario on Xbox?

Discuss things in our forums in this special thread.
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6456/Microsoft-Interested-in-Buying-Nintendo

unfortunately, i think Yamauchi is too arrogant to ever sell Nintendo. if anyone remembers what he was like as President before he retired, you'll know what i mean.

I for one would love nintendo software on microsoft hardware....that way they could pump out online games without worrying about whether they're profitable or not.

Professor Kaos
08-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Mario on the xbox....I can only wish!!

Nameless
08-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Bah it wont happen...thought I do miss Zelda :(.

BananaMan
08-04-2004, 02:08 PM
It'd be aite, but i'll take rainbow six any day over mario. mario days have been over for me for a while.

Variation-XBA
08-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Don't see that ever ever happening.

Snowblind
08-04-2004, 02:51 PM
Waste of money if you ask me.

ShaDovV RyDer
08-04-2004, 02:58 PM
That would be tight but its not going to happen unless Ninty's new console is the suX0rZ again...i would love it to happen because i have always wanted to take my xbox games along with me on a handheld...plus since the new handheld from nintendo is going to be online M$ could show the just how to succeed in the online world.

LTM360
08-04-2004, 03:48 PM
I could only hope. :rolleyes:

But, Koopa as you said, there's no way he'd sell. It would be the smartest business decision for him, because honestly, Nintendo is going nowhere but downhill. I'm convinced.

Playstations PSP, is gonna walk all over Nintendo DS. You know it, I know it, now if only he'd know it. I don't like the idea, but it will. Playstation is now a much more marketable name then Nintendo. And the public is gonna buy Playstation PSP, I would. Because Nintendo is just gonna throw out remakes again, hence the first big titles Super Mario 64x4.

Gamecube. Nintendo is doing the best they can to make Gamecube just tank. Everything other than hardware from Nintendo toward the Gamecube has been absolute crap. Everybody else is passing out the AAA quality titles, and Nintendo let go of it's best developers in Silicon Knights & Rareware. So, they have to rely on Capcom, Retro Studios, & Camelot Co. Ltd. to pull off good titles for the Gamecube.

He won't sell, but he should.

Spaztic
08-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Zelda on xbox...drool....

Slowride
08-04-2004, 03:52 PM
So bill gates told american analysts that he'd jump at the chance to buy a japanese company.....and it's being reported from a german magazine? Something seems off.

Koopa
08-04-2004, 04:22 PM
I could only hope.

But, Koopa as you said, there's no way he'd sell. It would be the smartest business decision for him, because honestly, Nintendo is going nowhere but downhill. I'm convinced.

agreed

Playstations PSP, is gonna walk all over Nintendo DS. You know it, I know it, now if only he'd know it. I don't like the idea, but it will. Playstation is now a much more marketable name then Nintendo. And the public is gonna buy Playstation PSP, I would. Because Nintendo is just gonna throw out remakes again, hence the first big titles Super Mario 64x4.

not so sure. DS is the next game boy in all but name, and that's got just as much name recognition as playstation. but i do think PSP will beat DS, though it may not trounce it totally.

but remakes? thats a cheap shot, considering almost everything on PSP is a PS2 port.

Gamecube. Nintendo is doing the best they can to make Gamecube just tank. Everything other than hardware from Nintendo toward the Gamecube has been absolute crap. Everybody else is passing out the AAA quality titles, and Nintendo let go of it's best developers in Silicon Knights & Rareware. So, they have to rely on Capcom, Retro Studios, & Camelot Co. Ltd. to pull off good titles for the Gamecube.

thats true for some titles...but Wind Waker was brilliant, and metroid had a lot of oversight from nintendo. they handed out their franchises to capcom, retro, camelot, etc, to free up their own guys to work on zelda, mario, etc...although results have been few and far between, theyve all been good.

i think with MS behind them, nintendo woulnd't have to worry about funding, or supporting a failing system, and could just make games.

AlphaCigara
08-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Pokemon on XBL....*drool*

:p

Darkside
08-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Zelda on Xbox would be orgasmic.

LTM360
08-04-2004, 04:51 PM
...but Wind Waker was brilliant.

:rolleyes:

Wind Waker is the worst thing to come out of Nintendo since the Virtual Boy. Great fighting, great action, great graphics. Awful, terrible, boring, lame, sucky, crappy, ultra-mega-bad story, and the most tedious elements I've seen in an action/adventure game in my life. The sailing idea, was tedious, and overall, again, one of the worst idea from Nintendo. Namco could make a better Zelda game at this point, heck, they did a better job making Link a decent charcter in Soul Calibur... oh wait, my bad, LINK WASN'T EVEN IN WIND WAKER!!! "Some panzy kid, who dresses up as 'The Hero' on his 10th birthday. His Sister gets captured, and he goes off on a quest to find her." LAME! His sister. Not the princess, oh yeah, duh, she was in the game, but Zelda was a pirate who didn't know she was Zelda. LAME! You run around the giant Lake looking for peices of the Triforce. LAME! This game's story is so bad, that Crave could make a better story with Kabuki Warriors.

Shall we go back? Ocarina of Time. That was, and still is a masterpiece. That game is why video games should be considered 'Art'. If there is anyone here who hasn't played Ocarina of Time, you can get a Nintendo 64 for free if you just buy 3 games over $4.98 on ebgames.com I suggest you do that offer, and buy Ocarina of Time with it, and realize that grand days of Nintendo. The story is fantastic, the bosses are fantastic, the temples are in an abundance (sp), full of difficulty, story, graphics, and music that have yet to be matched in any video game.

Nintendo should've stuck with what worked, and just made a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time, I doubt they could've messed that game up as bad as they did Wind Waker.

Snowblind
08-04-2004, 05:00 PM

Wind Waker is the worst thing to come out of Nintendo since the Virtual Boy. Great fighting, great action, great graphics. Awful, terrible, boring, lame, sucky, crappy, ultra-mega-bad story, and the most tedious elements I've seen in an action/adventure game in my life. The sailing idea, was tedious, and overall, again, one of the worst idea from Nintendo. Namco could make a better Zelda game at this point, heck, they did a better job making Link a decent charcter in Soul Calibur... oh wait, my bad, LINK WASN'T EVEN IN WIND WAKER!!! "Some panzy kid, who dresses up as 'The Hero' on his 10th birthday. His Sister gets captured, and he goes off on a quest to find her." LAME! His sister. Not the princess, oh yeah, duh, she was in the game, but Zelda was a pirate who didn't know she was Zelda. LAME! You run around the giant Lake looking for peices of the Triforce. LAME! This game's story is so bad, that Crave could make a better story with Kabuki Warriors.

THANK YOU! That is the smartest thing I have heard all day.

Finally,someone shares my opinion on what a ****ty game Wind Wanker is.

Peepers
08-04-2004, 05:02 PM

Shall we go back? Ocarina of Time. That was, and still is a masterpiece. That game is why video games should be considered 'Art'. If there is anyone here who hasn't played Ocarina of Time, you can get a Nintendo 64 for free if you just buy 3 games over $4.98 on ebgames.com I suggest you do that offer, and buy Ocarina of Time with it, and realize that grand days of Nintendo. The story is fantastic, the bosses are fantastic, the temples are in an abundance (sp), full of difficulty, story, graphics, and music that have yet to be matched in any video game.

Nintendo should've stuck with what worked, and just made a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time, I doubt they could've messed that game up as bad as they did Wind Waker.

A scathing and powerful review!

AlphaCigara
08-04-2004, 05:23 PM

Who cares about Ocarina and Wind Waker? Majora's Mask is the best next gen zelda game out there :)

LTM360
08-04-2004, 05:36 PM
Who cares about Ocarina and Wind Waker? Majora's Mask is the best next gen zelda game out there :)

You poor poor little child. :cry:

/me takes entire crowd of XBA memebers, and directs them away from Alphacigara as he cries, alone, scared, hungry, and almost dead by the campfire.

"It's so sad. It really is." :cry:

AlphaCigara
08-04-2004, 05:44 PM
You poor poor little child. :cry:

/me takes entire crowd of XBA memebers, and directs them away from Alphacigara as he cries, alone, scared, hungry, and almost dead by the campfire.

"It's so sad. It really is." :cry:

stfj00, everybody knows i'm older than you and much better looking :p

TheCovenant
08-04-2004, 05:48 PM
uhm.okay, windwaker wasnt that good, but albeit, it was worth the time i put into it.

Ocarina of time was one of the best damn gamnes ever, till halo rolled along.

but aquiring nintendo solely for windwaker, or even for mario, hell, even samus, isnt that great an idea.

I think a viewtiful joe on the box would be spectacular. Or perhaps a resident evil 5? or resident evil: code joe( i swear im not a zombie, until the end of the game where you realize i am).

Capcom has really been neglecting us (dino crisis 3? wtf?), but some titles from them would rock hard.

in fact, screw nintendo, why dont we just get capcom?

LTM360
08-04-2004, 05:53 PM
why dont we just get capcom?

Wouldn't it be nice if Microsoft thought of that instead of Rareware, and Nintendo? Get a developer that doesn't release, "eh" titles. 90% of Capcom titles are AAA, not %60. Screw Nintendo, get Capcom. Resident Evil Outbreak: Live Enabled, Veiwtiful Joe 2 (drooooooooooooool), Resident Evil 5, Devil May Cry 2 (I pretend that the real DMC 2 doesn't exist), Capcom would be a much better company to aquire than Nintendo.

AlphaCigara
08-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Devil May Cry 2 > the original.

I'd enjoy a Mega Man MMORPG on live, that'd be cool

Ninjermy
08-04-2004, 06:29 PM
not gonna happen. it just wont

Reclaimer
08-04-2004, 06:50 PM
I would forsee Microsoft buying up enough shares to keep Nintendo alive, yet keep Nintendo it's own company. Microsoft would make profits off of Nintendo, yet Nintendo maintains creative control of it's future products.
But, doing this would also put us in line for Nintendo developers like Capcom to produce cross platform games. Microsoft could also benefit Nintendo by helping them into the online world, where if Nintendo had something like Live... in Japan? It's all money in the pocket for both companies.
People in Japan would most likely ditch Nintendo if they know that it's owned wholey and exclusively by an American company... such as Microsoft. That's why to keep Nintendo alive, Microsoft would (should) allow Nintendo to operate on it's own, with just MS riding in the back seat helping out.
In the corporate world, why compete against your opposition when it's easier to just buy them out and maintain them. Ever looked at the car industry? Chrysler owns a part of Mercedes, but they each operate indepently, yet some of Chrylser's cars benefit from the Mercede's engineering. Mitsubishi makes engines for Hyundai, yet Hyundai is a much larger corporation than Mitsubishi if you account for all the divisions of Hyundai. Ford owns Jaguar, Land Rover and a few others but they each operate own it's own.
That's how you do business. Just buy them and help them along and now there's less compeition (techinically)
So by MS aquiring a chunk of Nintendo, that takes Nintendo out of the picture against MS, and leaves Sony and MS the last contenders in the console marker.

Xtopia
08-04-2004, 08:03 PM
I really can see this happening. If not now, 2, 3, 5, 10 years down the road. IMO, money is more powerful, or can be rather, than arrogance. Especially, when you selling for TOP DOLLAR. I don't know if any person could at some point resist.

CharlieHustle
08-04-2004, 08:32 PM
but aquiring nintendo solely for windwaker, or even for mario, hell, even samus, isnt that great an idea.

Uhh... NO, its not a good idea to buy a WHOLE console just for a few games.. Most people buy consoles for games.. Many games, at that. Or buy the fact that the console will give them their moneys worth from it over a number of years. Halo had me sold ion the xbox, but i bought it because i figured it will last for the next few years and i wouldnt have to buy another console, or i will have the most fun with this one.

Koopa
08-04-2004, 10:00 PM

Wind Waker is the worst thing to come out of Nintendo since the Virtual Boy.

i wont get too mad because i take it you're using hyperbole...

Great fighting, great action, great graphics.

true

Awful, terrible, boring, lame, sucky, crappy, ultra-mega-bad story, and the most tedious elements I've seen in an action/adventure game in my life.
false. i found the story to be pretty good, with some great twists.

The sailing idea, was tedious, and overall, again, one of the worst idea from Nintendo.
it really wasn't that bad. it took a while but it was tolerable. and after a little bit you get the song of storms or whatever it was so you could teleport. plus there was tons of treasure, sidequests, minidungeons, and bad guys to fight along the way...i found myself getting sidetracked alot while stumbling onto platforms of bad guys and those submarine things, and treasure.

Namco could make a better Zelda game at this point, heck, they did a better job making Link a decent charcter in Soul Calibur... oh wait, my bad, LINK WASN'T EVEN IN WIND WAKER!!! "Some panzy kid, who dresses up as 'The Hero' on his 10th birthday. His Sister gets captured, and he goes off on a quest to find her."
you're missing the whole point. nintendo has change the official timeline a few times, but at first it was the idea that in every game it was a different hero who took the name of link and fought off evil. the name link is just the title for the person who fights off evil.

LAME! His sister. Not the princess, oh yeah, duh, she was in the game, but Zelda was a pirate who didn't know she was Zelda. LAME!
it sure surprised me. i liked her..not as much as shiek, but she was still cool

You run around the giant Lake looking for peices of the Triforce. LAME!
kind of tedious, but there was still plenty of fun stuff to do along the way.

This game's story is so bad, that Crave could make a better story with Kabuki Warriors.
hardly.

for me ww was art...way more artistic than anything else this generation has produced, except maybe kotor, doom 3, and prince of persia.

and just in case anyone has any doubts that LTM is in the minority, ww has a gamerankings score of 94.8%, which, any way you look at it, is hardly crap.

LTM360
08-04-2004, 10:52 PM
you're missing the whole point. nintendo has change the official timeline a few times, but at first it was the idea that in every game it was a different hero who took the name of link and fought off evil. the name link is just the title for the person who fights off evil.

First off, I wanna say I didn't mean to come off angry at you or anything. I think I may have though you didn't seem mad at me or anything. If anyone I'm mad at Nintendo. :)

Ok, I hadn't really thought of it like that, so it makes sense. No character has ever been labeled "Link" except in the second Zelda game. "Link's Adventure". But still, the way they introduced the character was an awful angle. "Woo-hoo you're 10, now you have save your sister, and embark on a wonderful journey, full of beasts, boats, and bosses, OH MY!"

The game got good reviews, and everyone likes it. Why? I'll never understand that. Honestly if the game was just called "Wind Waker" I would like it more, because this is not a Zelda game IMO, I mean it has the elements in the way the action moves, the Triforce, I 'spose the Wind Waker itself, the name 'Zelda' is in the game, but still, I dunno, The story itself... just wasn't Zelda. I was happy to see a change in the story, but that dramatic change, I just thought it was terrible.

Again, sorry if I offended you Koopa, after re-reading myself, I thought I may have come off angry at you. :cheers:

Koopa
08-04-2004, 11:26 PM
First off, I wanna say I didn't mean to come off angry at you or anything. I think I may have though you didn't seem mad at me or anything. If anyone I'm mad at Nintendo. :)

Ok, I hadn't really thought of it like that, so it makes sense. No character has ever been labeled "Link" except in the second Zelda game. "Link's Adventure". But still, the way they introduced the character was an awful angle. "Woo-hoo you're 10, now you have save your sister, and embark on a wonderful journey, full of beasts, boats, and bosses, OH MY!"

The game got good reviews, and everyone likes it. Why? I'll never understand that. Honestly if the game was just called "Wind Waker" I would like it more, because this is not a Zelda game IMO, I mean it has the elements in the way the action moves, the Triforce, I 'spose the Wind Waker itself, the name 'Zelda' is in the game, but still, I dunno, The story itself... just wasn't Zelda. I was happy to see a change in the story, but that dramatic change, I just thought it was terrible.

Again, sorry if I offended you Koopa, after re-reading myself, I thought I may have come off angry at you. :cheers:

eh its cool :cheers: you're allowed to disagree. the fact is that for me, gamecube has only had 3 or 4 good games, and as a nintendo fan at heart, i have to defend those 3 or 4 good games to the death! :)

idunno if its because miyamoto has moved up from the hands on work to the overseeing, or because nintendo is outsourcing its IPs to much, or because they're trying to pump out too much at once, but theres a definite feeling that gamecube has less 5-star games than n64 had.

rogue squadron 2 rogue leader
zelda: wind waker
metroid prime

and only two of those are first party games.

and thats about all i can think of :( those three games can't support a console, but they sure could help when added to micrsoft's inventory.

Variation-XBA
08-05-2004, 03:17 AM
false. i found the story to be pretty good, with some great twists.

I'd have to disagree, when I found out the Pirate was the princess, I lost all interest..

It had ups and downs but nowhere near any of my favourite zelda's...

But anyhoo, not that we're in the debate forum though :P

SoundX
08-05-2004, 03:52 AM
Nintendo has been in Yamauchi's family for centuries. There is no way in hell he's going to sell to an American company unless Nintendo really are in trouble. Which their not, so stop thinking about it. It's not gonna happen.

Although it would be a dream come true, Yamauchi has to much pride to sell his company.

CarGuy
08-05-2004, 06:31 AM
Ever looked at the car industry? Chrysler owns a part of Mercedes, but they each operate indepently, yet some of Chrylser's cars benefit from the Mercede's engineering. Mitsubishi makes engines for Hyundai, yet Hyundai is a much larger corporation than Mitsubishi if you account for all the divisions of Hyundai. Ford owns Jaguar, Land Rover and a few others but they each operate own it's own.
That's how you do business.

Yes. Actually DaimlerChrysler owns Mercedes, Maybach, Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler and they're "partners" with Mitsubishi and Hyundai. Witch basically means they buy parts off them. They dont exactly operate on their own either... You see a lot of Mercedes parts on Chrysler's Crossfire for example. etc etc. But anyway, I see your point and it'd be sweet if the video game industry was like this.. I think. :watchout:

CarGuy
08-05-2004, 06:34 AM
I'd have to disagree, when I found out the Pirate was the princess, I lost all interest..

I have a hard time picturing that.. I dont even think that's halfway through the game so you didn't play the whole thing? You missed out then...

LTM360
08-05-2004, 11:10 AM
I have a hard time picturing that.. I dont even think that's halfway through the game so you didn't play the whole thing? You missed out then...

That's a little over half-way through the game. Once that happened, I just realized the story was crap.

Koopa, I'm a Nintendo fan, over everything, just Nintendo isn't doing it anymore. They need to pull of good titles. Animal Crossing was a great start, and Pikmin, though I didn't like it, was innovative. I really hope Capcom continues to support Gamecube with Resident Evil after 4, but I doubt they do because they lost quite a bit of money from less than steller sales from Zero. As you said, all the Gamecube's top titles are not first-party, to me the best games are
Resident Evil / Zero
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Reqiuem
Animal Crossing
F-Zero GX
Viewtiful Joe

Gamecube has the least AAA titles of any console, but the ones it does have (Eternal, and Joe) are some of the best games ever made. So Nintendo kinda has a doubt-edge sword. If both of those games appeal to one person (myself included) then it makes Gamecube worth owning hands down. But, most people have never heard of Eternal Darkness because of their wonderful ad campaign (you know, when the commercial aired at 3:00am during the World Cup :rolleyes: ) the game didn't sell well... at all. Now, Gamecube's best game (IMO) is headed to Playstation 2, and so is it's sequel, fortunetly Gamecube will get Viewtiful Joe 2, but so will PS2 :cry: . Nintendo needs to stop concentrating on Game Boy's, which is what seems to be the big deal to them, and get their system out of a hole, cause its pretty far underground.

Shadow20002
08-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Mario on Xbox..hmm...

Reclaimer
08-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Nintendo has been in Yamauchi's family for centuries. There is no way in hell he's going to sell to an American company unless Nintendo really are in trouble. Which their not, so stop thinking about it. It's not gonna happen.

Although it would be a dream come true, Yamauchi has to much pride to sell his company.

Though by allowing MS to buy a majority of it's shares, Mr. Yamauchi wouldn't be technically selling his entire company and he walks aways from it.
He keeps Nintendo and receives finanicial backing at the cost of losing some operation control.

memphissheik
08-05-2004, 03:39 PM
the catalogue of games and former franchises would push microsoft so far ahead of sony it'd be insane. Mario, metroid, and others to name a few...
ohh, and zelda.....

WillyV2
08-05-2004, 06:44 PM
It'd be aite, but i'll take rainbow six any day over mario. mario days have been over for me for a while.

Mario has been old for a while now anyway

I think he would'nt sell to begin with, the most I see is Nintendo go like Sega and just makes games for other systems

Anthony4sho
08-05-2004, 07:30 PM
I think Microsoft needs to get on the ball and buy out SOMEBODY. Cuz they got the dough.

Dyslexic Chaos
08-07-2004, 11:38 PM
anyone who says that Nintendo is a waste of money is a complete fanboy IMHO. You're saying that getting all these awesome franchises:

Mario
Metroid
Kirby
Legend of Zelda
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Mario Party
Mario Kart
Pikmin
Animal Crossing
Pokemon
Advance Wars
Fire Emblem
Excite Bike
Super Smash Brothers
Wario
Wario Ware
Starfox
Donkey Kong/Donkey Konga
Earthbound
Banjo-Kazoiee
F-Zero
Golden Sun
Eternal Darkness
1080 snowboarding
Wave Race
NBA Courtside (minus Kobe now, i can only assume)
Bomberman (wait, can someone tell me if nintendo still OWNS this franchinse? It's been all over the place...)

and I'm sure there are more..

anyway, I hope you all see my point, you buy nintendo, you buy all of these... I think Ole Bill would pay a pretty penny for all of these IMHO.

LTM360
08-07-2004, 11:56 PM
Nice List Jarred. However, this rumor was dispelled by Gamespot in their 'rumor control' Gates said he would jump on the opprotunity, not that he called him and said "hey I wanna buy Nintendo." He said his quote was taken way out of context. :(