PDA

View Full Version : IGN's Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow Review.

Cold_As_Ice
08-05-2004, 06:45 PM
- http://xbox.ign.com/articles/536/536206p1.html

Score: 9.3

Wow!

IGN's Closing Comments:

"While Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow doesn't provide major changes to the original, it's an excellent expansion. For only $40, this is a must-have for any Xbox Live gamer. Those who play alone will still find a solid game, but perhaps more of a rental. This is a game that is made for multiplayer, even the campaign missions are much better with friends instead of AI teammates.
Black Arrow has bugs and other minor annoyances, but that doesn't matter. This game is a kick and a half. The fun of playing online and the addictiveness of Lone Rush far outweigh any lingering problems. It's better than the original, but then Ubisoft has had 10 months to crank this out. It's great to see four old maps brought over -- Peaks, Presidio, Garage, and Airport 1 -- but I wish Presidio and Airport 1 had not been altered. Some map changes to these old maps ruin the best conflict points. Only Peaks offers solid play for the new online modes, because the others are just too small for their own good.

If you have Xbox Live, go buy Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow right now. It will certainly tide you over until Halo 2 in November. The new modes are great, the new maps are really fun, and clan support will be all the rage."

-- Hilary Goldstein

LTM360
08-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Yeah I just got finished playing Lone Rush. And I must say it's awesome.

I'm ranked #1 baby!!! yeah!

Cold_As_Ice
08-05-2004, 06:55 PM
I bought Doom 3 over this, and while I have absolutely no regrets over my purchase, I still have the urge to purchase Black Arrow as quickly as possible using whatever reasources available. I strongly desire this game so damn much.

Ford Mustang
08-05-2004, 08:56 PM
I need to pick this game up. Hopefully I can go out and get it tomorrow. :)

Yendig
08-05-2004, 10:24 PM
This sucks, I just got home from the city today. I was looking in EB to see if they had a copy of Black Arrow, I didn't see any and assumed it wasn't out yet. It may not have been there, but maybe if I had only asked... I guess now we'll never know. :rolleyes:

CarGuy
08-05-2004, 10:44 PM
I haven't played it, but it seems like a ripoff. Sounds like it's all stuff that could've been added through downloadable content. I'm just really mad they didn't add some more guns or custom stuff the PC players brag about.

Sigma
08-06-2004, 12:10 AM
I will rent it first because my mic issues with the last game. If my mic works fine then I will run out and buy it ASAP.

Peepers
08-06-2004, 01:20 AM
I want this game so bad. If only the stores in my area weren't several days behind.

Flood
08-06-2004, 01:39 AM
i cant wait to get this game and rock out on Live

WoOtY BaLLa
08-06-2004, 03:20 AM
man is this game a blast and heh im lookin forward to puttin all this clan support to good use

o ya and DBL is a tite clan and it was fun hangin with u guys hope i can keep doin it :)

o ya and sorry but TOILET PLUNGERS will rule all!!!

Cold_As_Ice
08-06-2004, 06:07 AM
I haven't played it, but it seems like a ripoff. Sounds like it's all stuff that could've been added through downloadable content. I'm just really mad they didn't add some more guns or custom stuff the PC players brag about.

Split-screen co-op play, 13 totally new maps, and two new game-play modes for multi-player all downloadable content for the original game? That's obviously not feasible. For its price, Black Arrow seems like it's worth the money, and it's a great alternative to Pandora Tomorrow, or the original Rainbow Six 3, at least until Halo 2 is released.

Thomas_Bunny
08-06-2004, 06:08 AM
They said the graphics are identical, but as far as I can tell all the dynamic lighting and shadows are gone. None of the team even has a shadow on the floor. This game is a graphical downgrade, I guess to beef up frame rates.

Cold_As_Ice
08-06-2004, 06:13 AM
They said the graphics are identical, but as far as I can tell all the dynamic lighting and shadows are gone. None of the team even has a shadow on the floor. This game is a graphical downgrade, I guess to beef up frame rates.

On the contrary, I've heard that the soft-shading, bloom lighting effects, and dynamic lighting have all received upgrades in Black Arrow. There never really was a great deal of dynamic lighting in the originals multi-player maps, anyways. I've seen videos of the upgraded Garage level in Black Arrow, and the colours in conjunction w/ the lighting are in more of a contrast. The lighting looks highly saturated, and very realistic.

Thomas_Bunny
08-06-2004, 06:17 AM
Well, in campaign mode in the original, me and my squad have dynamic shadows, now we don't have shadows at all. Kinda looks like we are just floating.

ShaDovV RyDer
08-06-2004, 11:17 AM
I played this game and my friends house on split screen and it was tight...they have one new gun and its a sniper..didnt use it cause im not a sniper kinda guy in R63...the graphics dont look at whole lot better but the new maps, LIVE 3.0, and the $40 price tag are enough to get my money...especially since with 3.0 you dont have to change your GT anymore to show your a marked man...as soon as you join the clan it puts a patch on your arm with your clan sign or whatever and it put the clan initials or whatever you want in front of your name...this is a must have for those that are into the whole clan thing...excuse me the whole "squad" thing cause now you can't make a clan you got to make a "squad".

LTM360
08-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Well, in campaign mode in the original, me and my squad have dynamic shadows, now we don't have shadows at all. Kinda looks like we are just floating.

I think your game might be jacked. When I was playing online with a bunch of guys everyone noticed how the lighting effects were upgraded, shadows were still blocky, but they were present.

SoundX
08-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Sounds pritty good, although it's not out in UK for another two weeks.