PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3, GTA 3, FOX NEWS, and violence

Satch
08-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Ok, we all know about the violent video games reports on news channels....but I just saw yet another one on stupid ass Fox News, saying these games could have psychological impact on your "children"....HELLO?! the average gamer is now well into there adult years! They showed clips from Doom 3 and other decent games on the show, while you can hear background comments like "awful" and "ohhh" and "Do you know what your kids are playing?! step in there room and look at this horrendic things they're watching"....just a bunch of B.S. which makes me SO sick. I hate the guy that did it and all his smirks. I seriously would not care if he died, went to Hell, and hopefully take all his smirks with him...stupid ignorant, non-knowing, doesn't-know-what-he's-talking-about son of a *****.

Cryogenic Pyro
08-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Jeeze, that's pretty stupid.

All the news reports I've been hearing around here lately have had Doom 3 featured in them, even when they don't normally report on games. None of them had anything bad to say, though.

LTM360
08-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Yeah I caught this on. And the only thing good, or even made any sense was...

Doom 3's graphics look insane!!!

The was the only thing good about that report, I got to see Doom 3's graphics without a blocky video cause my comp sucks.

Satch
08-08-2004, 04:52 PM
LOL I remember thinking the same thing... "wow, nice Doom 3 footage and graphics!" HAHA, stupid ass Fox News, thanks for advertising!

Fox News: Unfair and Biased :cool:

CarGuy
08-08-2004, 05:41 PM
Yep, sounds like Fox News.

Jamo
08-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Yep that sounds like it came from some politician who hasn't played a game for more than 5 minutes.

Wolfboy_888
08-08-2004, 06:30 PM
poor Doom..so many games that have people killing other people...put in a few make believe demons and everyones on you... Doom will always be a target even if something else bad is out....Doom 1 basically started the "Deathmatch" and the FPS genre.

Snowblind
08-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Well atleast all of that violence pinned on video games is helping sell Manhunt in the UK.:rolleyes:

LikShotz
08-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Ok, we all know about the violent video games reports on news channels....but I just saw yet another one on stupid ass Fox News, saying these games could have psychological impact on your "children"....HELLO?! the average gamer is now well into there adult years! They showed clips from Doom 3 and other decent games on the show, while you can hear background comments like "awful" and "ohhh" and "Do you know what your kids are playing?! step in there room and look at this horrendic things they're watching"....just a bunch of B.S. which makes me SO sick. I hate the guy that did it and all his smirks. I seriously would not care if he died, went to Hell, and hopefully take all his smirks with him...stupid ignorant, non-knowing, doesn't-know-what-he's-talking-about son of a *****.
its just video games fella... no need to wish death upon someone because of a piece of entertainment we pay 50$ for. stop stressing your self out over video games. calm down. relax the **** out.

CMX Jedi
08-08-2004, 07:41 PM
dont the parents have to buy the games for theyre kids? there is rateings on them and the store dose tell you that it is for mature audences.

Satch
08-08-2004, 07:42 PM
LikShots, nice pic :rolleyes:

figured you'd have to disagree. if you don't like games enough for this pathetic news to make you a little mad, why are you even on here.

Satch
08-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Snowblind....ROFL!! great joke. gosh, only makes me wanna play my Manhunt more... :whistle:

Here's my opinion with the UK thing.... Video games doesn't make psychos, it makes them more creative (kinda like that one guy said about movies from Scream) lol! Later shuckersh

Snowblind
08-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Well it is the UK after all.....

*Prepares to get hammered by an army of UK citizens*

LikShotz
08-08-2004, 08:58 PM

figured you'd have to disagree. if you don't like games enough for this pathetic news to make you a little mad, why are you even on here. what about my pic got a problem with it? WTf does my pic have anything to do why i would disagree. stop being a racist ignorant dumb fu**. i like games but i dont get panties ina bunch like u and say stupid shiii! like "oh i dont care if he died and went to hell" stop being such a coochie. and stay off the racism aight. its only games looks ot me like ur the guy who would kill someone over ur xbox chill out... *couh* Anger management *cough*

l Maximus l
08-08-2004, 09:01 PM
I don't think Fox News is the only news station that claims that violent video games can impact psychologically to children.

Hell, they could say the same things about movies and the same thing about regular television shows today. But, the fact of the matter is, there is no evidence that video games pursuades children to be violent...that's ludicrous to make the claim without any scientific evidence.

Sure, we'll see isolated incidents, but, I seriously get tired when people point the finger at something and forget to examine parents instead.

Variation-XBA
08-09-2004, 12:38 AM
/em beats a dead horse with a stick

Satch
08-09-2004, 01:40 AM
I'm not a racist, lik-whatever, I was just saying figures you'd have to disagree....always causin' trouble.

cough, cough..uh, yeah...

Maximus, you're right, I know. To tell you the truth, the main thing that upset me about the whole thing was that they had to harp on doom 3 so much like it was bad...hell, I'm looking forward to that as much as halo 2 :hail: next, they'll be pulling doom 3 off the shelves before it even hits them. Next, they might as well take out the first and second amendments.

l Maximus l
08-09-2004, 01:44 AM
Maximus, you're right, I know. To tell you the truth, the main thing that upset me about the whole thing was that they had to harp on doom 3 so much like it was bad...hell, I'm looking forward to that as much as halo 2 :hail: next, they'll be pulling doom 3 off the shelves before it even hits them. Next, they might as well take out the first and second amendments.

I feel ya, man...One would think that news stations would include the ever important details of ESRB ratings.

But, nope...news stations want to cause community outrage...which means more people glued to their televisions...which means higher ratings for them...which means happy sponsors.

And, I agree, man...it blows...

LikShotz
08-09-2004, 03:16 AM
I'm not a racist, lik-whatever, I was just saying figures you'd have to disagree....always causin' trouble.

cough, cough..uh, yeah...

alwqays causing trouble because of my picture? explain? stop being ignorant. just admit that what you said was foolish and childish. wats ur name again? cabbage patch? wat?

TOTTEN
08-09-2004, 03:35 AM
stop being a racist ignorant dumb fu**.and stay off the racism aight.
Wheres the racism He didnt say anything racist.
Well people who want to take video games off of the shelves need to lay off video games and focus and more important issues. They might as well not allow people to make movies and music which in my opinion are equaly influential.

LikShotz
08-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Then what does my picture have to do with ANYTHING on this discussion. making assumptions on how someone looks and making dumb ass posts like "nice pic :rolleyes: and saying "always causing truoble" sounds kinda funny to me.

SoundX
08-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Games like Doom 3 can effect your children, problem is, most people aren't stupid enough to let there children play the lights of Doom 3 and Grand Theft Auto. These games do have age limits you know.

It's nothing to do with the actual games, it's the stores loosening limits, and the parents choice weather to buy that game for your children or not.

Stop blaming games that have a clear 18 rating on them for children turning into uncontrolable idiots.

Satch
08-09-2004, 04:04 PM
exactly, soundx. I've seen a lot of parents in stores that seem concerned of what their kids are getting. The thing is, the guy on Fox News DID mention that "but these games have ratings such as E, M, and T right?" ...then he looked at the guy that was on his side of the issue, and smirked....THAT'S what made me mad at the unfairness...of course the guy came back with something like "Well yes, but these kids can get whatever they want...it doesn't stop them from playing them. If they want them, they'll get them." I still say it's pointless because most gamers are adults now anyway. C'mon..what about the movies that are seriously 10 times worse in come cases...video games ALWAYS gets bashed, and they always make sure it's from a biased standpoint.

I like cabbage...it taste good. I like my name...it's "aight" ... it used to be my nickname during the time I joined these forums. What better about your name, lik? Skillz that Killz...

Jamo
08-09-2004, 04:11 PM
I think that if the child shows signs of violence that weren't there before he started playing games then the parents should take the games away. And let that be a leason to them for buying it for them. If the child can't take it he/she don't need to play it.

Satch
08-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Yep you said it Jamo. it's freakin' commom sense

LikShotz
08-09-2004, 08:47 PM
exactly, soundx. I've seen a lot of parents in stores that seem concerned of what their kids are getting. The thing is, the guy on Fox News DID mention that "but these games have ratings such as E, M, and T right?" ...then he looked at the guy that was on his side of the issue, and smirked....THAT'S what made me mad at the unfairness...of course the guy came back with something like "Well yes, but these kids can get whatever they want...it doesn't stop them from playing them. If they want them, they'll get them." I still say it's pointless because most gamers are adults now anyway. C'mon..what about the movies that are seriously 10 times worse in come cases...video games ALWAYS gets bashed, and they always make sure it's from a biased standpoint.

I like cabbage...it taste good. I like my name...it's "aight" ... it used to be my nickname during the time I joined these forums. What better about your name, lik? Skillz that Killz...
u made a rhyme +1 to u for brownie points. thx for making my name look "viciously cool" :cheers: anyways this is sooo true though... "Well yes, but these kids can get whatever they want...it doesn't stop them from playing them. If they want them, they'll get them." thats so true. lol, oh well they will bash but it wont stop game makers from making games nor sellin them. all i said was that the dumb **** u said "he can die go to hell etc" was very childish and ignorant. then it came to the fact that u looked at my av i would disagree wtf? makes no sense. anyways i like games but im no fan boy so say **** like this. PeACEEEE :hump:

Hard Boiled Cop
08-10-2004, 05:53 AM
Games aren't even responsible for violence. Its the people who play them. They need to see a therapists.

Anthony4sho
08-10-2004, 02:35 PM

It's people like YOU that cause reports like THAT.

LikShotz
08-10-2004, 03:10 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
*Nelson laff* HA HA!

Satch
08-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Keep talkin' ***s. could definitely kick both of your asses, especially lik, unless he pulled a gun on me and held it sideways...wouldn't surprise me.

LikShotz
08-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Keep talkin' ***s. could definitely kick both of your asses, especially lik, unless he pulled a gun on me and held it sideways...wouldn't surprise me. lil punk ass threatened me online. :hump: what a scare. coochie boi. people like u make us gamers look bad. u earnd the name Satch the Crying Biatch. go away u plush toy. u couldnt hurt a fly sweet heart.

Satch
08-11-2004, 01:03 AM
wanna bet? give me your email so we can talk off of here and then offline. I'm not scared of you one bit, or the rest of your gang.

LikShotz
08-11-2004, 01:06 AM
Gang what gang???! why email? u wanna send me Ecards thru yahoo? LMAO. i dont know why i scare you.

I'm not scared of you one bit
prooves ur scared just for the fact u even had to mention this :whistle: . and your going to college?! cmon man i dont wanna argue ill destroy u cracking on u. chill lil buddy jus chill..... :hump:

JJaX
08-11-2004, 01:07 AM

figured you'd have to disagree. if you don't like games enough for this pathetic news to make you a little mad, why are you even on here.

Just because Likshotz didn't go into a frenzy about a Fox news about video game violence, doesn't mean he enjoys his games.

BTW, thats ODB in his avatar. You can come out from under that rock now...

And lets stop the flaming ok?

Satch, just chill out.
I know its easy to get all "tough guy" on the internet, but just sit down.

Satch
08-11-2004, 01:08 AM
you think I'm a wimp cause I'm going to college? doesn't that make me in the best shape of my life? I'll chill you. fast.

LikShotz
08-11-2004, 01:12 AM
ODB original Wu tang rapper. one of the best out of the group,such a crazy style on how he spit his syllables. has a couple of loose screws and always has cruddy braids. still one my favs.

Satch
08-11-2004, 01:13 AM
keep changing the subject.

DIGITAL
08-11-2004, 09:11 AM
I Want 2 beef Patties on a sesame seed bun :rofl: .

CRAYMAN
08-11-2004, 12:26 PM
what about my pic got a problem with it? WTf does my pic have anything to do why i would disagree. stop being a racist ignorant dumb fu**. i like games but i dont get panties ina bunch like u and say stupid shiii! like "oh i dont care if he died and went to hell" stop being such a coochie. and stay off the racism aight. its only games looks ot me like ur the guy who would kill someone over ur xbox chill out... *couh* Anger management *cough*

I think you've got some "racist ignorant dumb fu**" issues of your own.

Let's not jump to conclusions. C'mon, he may be an icon, but the guy looks funny. :cheers:

Satch, meet me after school. I'll kick your ***. :rolleyes:

BananaMan
08-11-2004, 12:48 PM
wow satch is only about 20 minutes away from me when i'm at my aunts.

Casper
08-11-2004, 01:11 PM
You guys done yet?

Lik - stop with the assumptions, you sound like an ass.

Satch - I saw the 'sorry' thread, fine, just get over it - we're not here to babysit.

LikShotz
08-11-2004, 02:12 PM
I think you've got some "racist ignorant dumb fu**" issues of your own.

Let's not jump to conclusions. C'mon, he may be an icon, but the guy looks funny. :cheers:

Satch, meet me after school. I'll kick your ***. :rolleyes: Explain how im racist. if you cant, your talking outta your ass. and yep this is over with. he aplogized and that wraps it up. we called it a day.

CRAYMAN
08-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Explain how im racist. if you cant, your talking outta your ass. and yep this is over with. he aplogized and that wraps it up. we called it a day.

No man, I didn't suggest that you are a racist. I was trying to say that you saw/interpreted something that was not necessarily intended. Hey, De Jae Vu!

And you will know when I'm talking out of my ass, because I use my hands to squeeze my butt cheeks open and closed...

Ninjermy
08-11-2004, 03:26 PM
back to the main subject here :whistle: ..... i think that video game violence is a problem. but so is violence on tv and in movies. i dont see why ur all bashing this politician, it is a problem. u cant question that. mabye it is the parents fault for letting the kids buy the game, but most of the time its the kid because he will convince his parents to let him buy it and they dont really understand what its about. i know this because i (14 years old) have gotten my parents to buy tons of M rated games, and im sure that if they knew what was really in them they would probably not have let me buy them in the first place. my point is, as much as i love violent bloody gorefilled killing games, i think they are causing problems to kids. i myself have found to be very desensitized because of all the violence i see (not saying i go around hurting people) but it has affected what i think and it affects many other kids negativley.

just my thoughts on this whole subject....

bostwick202
08-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Anyhoo, back to the subject. What about all the violence on tv? I was watchin Fox News with my mom last night, and they talked into detail about this murder. The guy they where interviewing went into graphic detail about ways to kill someone and stuff like that. Where's the media on that one?

Satch
08-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Yeah guys...uhhh, sorry me and Lik got distracted....anyway, I'm over that stupid program that made me post this thread in the first place...but it looks like it's turned into a good discussion with some good opinions. I myself love the bloody, mature games as well. (I also like sonic, smash brothers melee, etc. so it's not like I only like the nasty games)...anyway, what bostwick said IS kinda true...games actually have effected me in some way, like I'm not near as sensitive (like jermy said)...but to actually kill someone over games, you have to be already screwed up BEFORE you start playing games. Again, you can't blame the games.

CRAYMAN
08-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Well, I don't know what more they could do?
There is already a ratings system in place.
Unless they start vigorously prosecuting stores that sell these M rated games to minors.

Ninjermy
08-11-2004, 04:40 PM
the only solution i can see is to cut back on MAKING them. if u notice, practically every single game that comes out is violence based with the exception of sports. youd think mabye they could invent a new genre of game with no-killing but that sounds impossible to me. so there is no solution.
bah!

Satch
08-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Well Jermy, here's the thing. Violence basically HAS to be an element in any game if you wanna have fun in a fantasy world. Let's face it, 99% of us like some sort of violence. Hell, I think it might be a good thing that games let us get it out in a virtual world that SEEMS real because WE'RE in control. I mean, even Sonic as "animated violence" on the back. You just gotta have violence, with the exception of sports games and music games like Um Jammer Lammy or Gitaroo Man.

Cryogenic Pyro
08-11-2004, 06:10 PM
back to the main subject here :whistle: ..... i think that video game violence is a problem. but so is violence on tv and in movies. i dont see why ur all bashing this politician, it is a problem. u cant question that. mabye it is the parents fault for letting the kids buy the game, but most of the time its the kid because he will convince his parents to let him buy it and they dont really understand what its about. i know this because i (14 years old) have gotten my parents to buy tons of M rated games, and im sure that if they knew what was really in them they would probably not have let me buy them in the first place. my point is, as much as i love violent bloody gorefilled killing games, i think they are causing problems to kids. i myself have found to be very desensitized because of all the violence i see (not saying i go around hurting people) but it has affected what i think and it affects many other kids negativley.

just my thoughts on this whole subject....
Hey, I'm 15 and my parents know exactly what the games I play are like. They don't care because they know I can handle them. My mom let me buy Doom 3, and I showed her the game after.

CRAYMAN
08-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Hey, I'm 15 and my parents know exactly what the games I play are like. They don't care because they know I can handle them. My mom let me buy Doom 3, and I showed her the game after.

What do you mean "after?"??///!?1/1?

...after... YOU SLAUGHTERED THEM IN THEIR SLEEP?!?!?!?!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!?!!!!!!!!!:yikes:

GoombaJebboMT
08-17-2005, 05:28 PM
The fact is that ESRB and all the retailers that decided to ban GTA:SA are just looking for someone to point the finger at. It seems to me all the retailers that banned the game sell R Rated movies…but they won’t sell a video game that has adult content in it as well? A kid can buy one of those movies easier than they can acquire a video game with content like that. If they are going to try to stop this and “police” things they should really be a little more consistent. I just think they seized the opportunity to want to start a big ruckus over what is already in other games like Playboy the Mansion, The Guy Game, and Leisure Suit Larry. As far as violence take Manhunt for example, which is a fantastic game where you can suffocate your victims with a plastic bag but no controversy over it…why? And it was from the same manufacturer. Why single this game out when games are already exhibiting this type of content without needing a patch to unlock it? It makes a LOT of sense for us to spend tax payers money to make a rating with a single video game in it. THATS LUDICROUS! This debate is deeply rooted over what has been fought over for years and has gone as high as the Supreme Court. You cannot legislate morality, and this is a matter of taste, not ratings. If anyone is at fault here then it is ESRB for not having a thorough ratings system.