PDA

View Full Version : ***NEAR FINAL BUILD*** Fable preview

AlBoogy
08-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Greatest RPG ever? (http://games.kikizo.com/news/200408/010.asp)

SoundX
08-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Yup :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Variation-XBA
08-09-2004, 02:14 PM
This game will own me :)

Huckleberry
08-09-2004, 03:11 PM
i am prepared to give up my life as i know it

Darkside
08-09-2004, 03:14 PM
I'll fail school just for you.

CRAYMAN
08-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Nice find AlBoogy,
I was not a fan of KOTOR, I didn't enjoy the turn-based fighting nor the sterile environments.
HOWEVER, this has piqued my interest. Especially this part of the review:

During our interview with the Carter brothers (see the rest of our massive upcoming Fable feature), they were quick to point out that Fable is an action-RPG. There are no turn-based battles here, and the end result is something not too distantly removed from the Legend of Zelda's interface of recent iterations. Attacks are mapped to the face buttons, and pulling the left trigger will allow you to lock onto an enemy.

I think I'll preorder.

studepaber
08-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh Fable, it's very name makes me squirm uncontrollably with anticipation! Nice find, now why the heck does this game come out in my first week of class!!?!!!? :cuss:

Brevity
08-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Cant wait, I am finnishing up many other games in prep for this one, and I kinda have put off getting R2:BA cus of this comming out in a month.

LikShotz
08-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Greatest RPG ever? (http://games.kikizo.com/news/200408/010.asp)
what happened to the graphics? why these guys look jaggy? looks like they not even matching with the background look like cut outs.. im startin to think that this game will be overhyped...

http://games.kikizo.com/media/fable_aug04/04.jpg

JPRaup
08-09-2004, 08:55 PM
kenny rogers lol

LikShotz
08-09-2004, 09:11 PM
LOL........ ahahaha he does look like him too. hahaha

Cryogenic Pyro
08-09-2004, 09:55 PM
what happened to the graphics? why these guys look jaggy? looks like they not even matching with the background look like cut outs.. im startin to think that this game will be overhyped...

They look "jaggy" just like everything else on the Xbox. Unless some game implements some form of antialiasing, there are always going to be jaggies.

OC Noob
08-09-2004, 11:10 PM

Are you kidding, you are worried about the gfx?

If thats what you are worried about then you missed the whole point of Fable. Its a revolutionary RPG/sim hybrid, not a John Carmack gfx engine.

ps you should have read the review, it said the gfx aren't the best ever on the Xbox, but are beautiful.

JJaX
08-10-2004, 12:36 AM
Im sure when you see the game in motion, the "jaggies" wont be an issue.

They look "jaggy" just like everything else on the Xbox. Unless some game implements some form of antialiasing, there are always going to be jaggies.

Not everything on Xboxs look "jaggy." Stop playing ports.....

Infact, one of the major advantages in the Xbox vs Ps2 debate, was the fact xbox used Antialiasing.

Straight from the Nvidia site if you need more...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_20030505_4784.html

I'm not sure what games you have been playing.....Maybe your T.V. is broken? :huh:

LikShotz
08-10-2004, 12:50 AM
haha jaggies suck ass.... anyways why does that pic i posted up look like a copy n pastey?

JJaX
08-10-2004, 12:55 AM
I dont even see the screen shot you posted.

LikShotz
08-10-2004, 01:04 AM
http://games.kikizo.com/media/fable_aug04b/04.jpg

JJaX
08-10-2004, 01:16 AM
Yeah some of the pics dont look that great. Than again, some of the pics looks amazing.

Maybe pics from an onlder build of the game are getting mixed in?

*shrug*

Whocares? The game is going to be hot.

Frink
08-10-2004, 01:19 AM

http://games.kikizo.com/media/fable_aug04/04.jpgLook at any screenshot of an Xbox game on your PC, it will look jaggy. The reason for this is that the PC monitor you are looking at has far higher resolution than your standard television. When it is actually in motion on your television they will not be gone entirely, but far less visible. The game was never hyped because of it's graphics, but the gameplay elements to be implemented. Regardless, I think it will be an impressive game....both graphically and gameplay wise.

Shadow20002
08-10-2004, 01:48 AM
Fable......my destiny!!!

Peepers
08-10-2004, 05:28 AM
Just 35 more days.

I wish this game had come out in the summer so that my grades wouldn't suffer quite so bad as they probably will. lol

Spaztic
08-10-2004, 09:15 AM
I really hope this game isn't going to be overhyped. It really sounds great though! :hump:

CRAYMAN
08-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Im sure when you see the game in motion, the "jaggies" wont be an issue.
Not everything on Xboxs look "jaggy." Stop playing ports.....
Infact, one of the major advantages in the Xbox vs Ps2 debate, was the fact xbox used Antialiasing.
Straight from the Nvidia site if you need more...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_20030505_4784.html
I'm not sure what games you have been playing.....Maybe your T.V. is broken? :huh:

C'mon JJaX, he said, "Unless some game implements some form of antialiasing, there are always going to be jaggies."

And not all games take advantage of the Xbox capabilities.

For example, Forza Motorsports will only be running at 30 FPS in order to take advantage of the antialiasing Xbox has to offer. It's a tradeoff.

Frink is right! The higher the resolution, the higher the probability of the dreaded jaggies. However, I agree with you here "when you see the game in motion, the "jaggies" wont be an issue." :hump:

OC Noob
08-10-2004, 10:59 AM
C'mon JJaX, he said, "Unless some game implements some form of antialiasing, there are always going to be jaggies."

For example, Forza Motorsports will only be running at 30 FPS in order to take advantage of the antialiasing Xbox has to offer. It's a tradeoff.

Frink is right! The higher the resolution, the higher the probability of the dreaded jaggies. However, I agree with you here "when you see the game in motion, the "jaggies" wont be an issue." :hump:

Considering your TV only does 30 FPS its really not a trade off.

ps not sure what context its used in, but the higher the resolution the less noticable jaggies are, because they are much smaller. Jaggies or pixelation is much less noticable when you are 15 feet away from your TV at roughly 640 x 480 vs 2 feet away from a computer monitor at 640 x 480.

Huckleberry
08-10-2004, 11:17 AM
just shoutin out to frink...long time no see

SoundX
08-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Nice find AlBoogy,
I was not a fan of KOTOR, I didn't enjoy the turn-based fighting nor the sterile environments.
HOWEVER, this has piqued my interest. Especially this part of the review:

I think I'll preorder.

Same here dude, I can't stand the combat in most RPG games. I loved the game, but the combat just seemed pointless and uncontrolable. This is Xbox's Zelda, only better, hopefuly :D

LikShotz
08-10-2004, 11:57 AM

i got a 51 in HDTV when i played spiderman2 i felt like throwing up. that pos graphics were horrible on HD... hopefully Fable will look better then that... atleast on my HDTV when i get it if not.. its gonna get sold... cuzz it will be a shame if the company who made fable dosnt TAKE advantage of the xbox's powers. seriously. we shall see tho... i may be wrong.

CRAYMAN
08-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Considering your TV only does 30 FPS its really not a trade off.
ps not sure what context its used in, but the higher the resolution the less noticable jaggies are, because they are much smaller.

?????your TV only does 30 FPS?????? This doesn't seem right.

If this is true, why do games like GTA boast at running at 60 fps???

Not sure about the higher the res the lower the jaggies.

CAN I GET SOME CORROBORATION/CONFIRMATION ON THIS, ADDICTS????? :huh:

blackiee2002
08-10-2004, 01:35 PM
hey you guys can't talk about fable without me.
any way yeah it should have come this summer, but i would be careful it does not impede on my studies. i hope my wife, in fable that is, understands. can't finshing guys dawg

the graphics thingy i can live with it. i mean look at how massive the thing is. what other games have houses that you can walk in and observe all areas like that. impossible. i like the art direction too so that is sort off a nice trade off.

more over i am also getting Kingdom Under Fire: the crusaders. wow these games are insance the graphics on that game is out of this world. go phantagram

JJaX
08-10-2004, 02:19 PM
?????your TV only does 30 FPS?????? This doesn't seem right.

If this is true, why do games like GTA boast at running at 60 fps???

Not sure about the higher the res the lower the jaggies.

CAN I GET SOME CORROBORATION/CONFIRMATION ON THIS, ADDICTS????? :huh:

I'm no television engineer, so maybe this link might help.

http://www.tv-technology.com/features/Tech-Corner/f-rh-smp.shtml

What I am confuses about...Does this apply to videogames hooked up to a NTSC television?

LynxFX
08-10-2004, 03:05 PM
You can't think of fps in television and fps in games as equal items. Framerate on your tv will always be consistent no matter what is showing. It is 29.97 fps progressive, or 59.94 fps interlaced.

A game can then be anything but will ultimately show at the specified frame rate of the television, that doesn't mean the game is playing at that. That is just what is being shown. You can have a game playing at 24 fps but will still display at roughly 30 fps. Some frames will just show for more than one second. This is when you get jitter or lag.

There's more to it but that's the gist of it.

Anyway Fable was never the best looking game and it isn't shooting to be. More processing power has been allocated to the AI and world ecosystem. From that early review it sounds like they pulled out all the stops.

And the lower the resolution the 'bigger' the jaggies. Up the res, you have more pixels to make diag lines which is where jaggies appear. More pixels, smaller the jaggies are.

That's true, too bad it is rarely used like many of the Xbox's superior features.

Cryogenic Pyro
08-10-2004, 04:12 PM
i got a 51 in HDTV when i played spiderman2 i felt like throwing up. that pos graphics were horrible on HD... hopefully Fable will look better then that... atleast on my HDTV when i get it if not.. its gonna get sold... cuzz it will be a shame if the company who made fable dosnt TAKE advantage of the xbox's powers. seriously. we shall see tho... i may be wrong.
Fable wasn't made to have amazing graphics. It was made to have amazing gameplay. Like Lynx-FX said, all the extra processing power is going to the awesome AI instead of the graphics, which will make for better gameplay.

If you like games with mediocre gameplay and great graphics, this game isn't for you.

Shadow20002
08-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Well, Fable doesn't need to have great graphics to get my attention, it's gameplay is what i want. I was waiting for something that really change the way i look about RPG games. Fable is gonna take me with it far far away.

CRAYMAN
08-10-2004, 04:45 PM

WTH, I can't comprehend all of that jargon!?!?!?!?!!!?1111!!!
I need a translator, like...LinxFX.

And the lower the resolution the 'bigger' the jaggies. Up the res, you have more pixels to make diag lines which is where jaggies appear. More pixels, smaller the jaggies are.

Someone got "schooled."(OC Noob and me)

Sooooo, does a game running at 60 fps look better than one running at 30 fps???

What are the advantages in the real world?

-Natas-
08-10-2004, 05:04 PM
I can't wait for Fable's release (well I can actually as I have Morrowind to keep me busy :rofl: ). I'm going to trade in Socom II and a couple other PS2 games that I never play anymore to get Fable. This game should keep me busy for a Long time. :)

OC Noob
08-10-2004, 06:15 PM

What I am confuses about...Does this apply to videogames hooked up to a NTSC television?

It would appear that progressive is 60 FPS while interlaced (standard TV is 480i) is definitly 30 (29.97) FPS.

So you were correct about it being a trade off if some one is running HDTV 480p/720p. While I was thinking along the lines of interlaced TV like 480i/1080i (is there a 720i?).

It would appear the difference between interlaced and progressive is 30 FPS more, I'm going to do a search later to make sure that right. I'll post a reply if I find anything interesting.

http://www.intechlabs.com/ourfaqs/tv/digital/digitalstandards2.htm

not exactly what we are looking for, but good info on progressive vs interlaced.

http://www.hidef.org/library/glossary.htm

It looks like 480i runs at 60 fps doing half the picture per frame = 30 total FPS while 480p does the whole picture each fram so it = 60 fps.

Hope thats right:p

TheCovenant
08-11-2004, 05:52 AM
ejh the grpahis look fine. That pic that likshots posted look slike an overblown screenshot. Lots of mags do this, and when you blow up a low rez screen shot, well, you get jaggies that wouldn't be seen in regular gameplay.

anyways, heres something that cought my eyes. I know it isnt news, but i like to hear this anyways:
Taking care of the opening theme is none other than Danny Elfman, stalwart composer of such masterpiece soundtracks as Nightmare Before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands.

man. I wanna see how this game fairs up to all the final fantasy enthusiasts out there.

I hope the lack of cg wont piss anyone off. Im more of a gameplay guy, than watching a 15 minute video of a japanse character go to the bathroom...(xenosaga, anyone?)

i cant miss work for this...but...i probably am. :)