PDA

View Full Version : An Xbox problem! >_<

Lucifer_Hawk
08-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Well, a few nights back I was playing some crimson skies on my Xbox and I got that stupid disc read error. I had my dvd player attachment thing plugged in at the same time and I wanted to get out my frustation by watching a movie so I put a dvd in, and now my Xbox won't recognize any dvd's at all. It was just working the night before, but it stopped after I got this disc read error. I don't know if maybe they have something in common, but thats what i'm thinking. Help me...... :bang:

Jamo
08-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Your lense could be dirty. How old is your Xbox?

LTM360
08-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Something VERY in common unfortunetly. I'm assuming you have a launch Xbox? (Or an Xbox around Nov. 2001) You disk drive is broken. And $100 will get it fixed from Microsoft. So, you're screwed really. I think roughly everyone on this site has had the problem (including myself) and we've all just got a new Xbox.

Sorry to say, welcome to the club. :cry:

Lucifer_Hawk
08-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Actually my Xbox isn't that old, I bought it in February 2003, maybe it broke down early.. damn Xbox.

SkoalMint
08-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Definitely try using a lens cleaner (dry type) before doing anything drastic. I'd also look into using some type of disc cleaner on the games and dvd's. I've used them on mine in the past with great success.

ScorpionX
08-11-2004, 02:34 PM
You should check which DVD drive you have for your Xbox. If it's a Thomson, then you are probably gonna need a new drive, but it better just to buy a new Xbox.

Casper
08-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Definitely try using a lens cleaner (dry type) before doing anything drastic. I'd also look into using some type of disc cleaner on the games and dvd's. I've used them on mine in the past with great success.
Yup, or try a dry Q-tip and place it around the middle of the drive inside to clean the lens.

Cryogenic Pyro
08-11-2004, 04:13 PM
You should check which DVD drive you have for your Xbox. If it's a Thomson, then you are probably gonna need a new drive, but it better just to buy a new Xbox.
Only the old Thomsons are bad. The newer ones from around Feb 2003 aren't that bad, at least from my experience. Me and a friend both have them, and they work just fine.

LTM360
08-11-2004, 04:59 PM
If your Xbox is that new, then you need to probably just clean the lens as pretty much everone has said. If you Xbox's warranty is dead I say just open up the thing and use a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol, I did that with my PS2 and it worked great, it's really easy to do to, look around the internet, I'm sure you could find a tutorial in cleaning the lens.

CRAYMAN
08-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Otherwise, sell your broken Xbox, for around 40-50 bux(You can get more if it's unopened). And then buy a refurbished one for 99 bux. I did both of those things. I just got my $99 Xbox in. :-) And if you sell the extra controller that came with it...

MajorTom
08-12-2004, 02:43 PM
If your discs really are dirty or damaged, you could try getting a game DR or something like that to clean the games. But I wouldn't spend the money on it unless the games really are dirty. They actually do clean the games quite well but it doesn't do much if it is your Xbox that's the problem.

SkoalMint
08-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Also, I wouldn't get the game DR unless you're dealing with scratches. Most disc cleaners will work fine just cleaning a disc and they are less expensive.

That being said, I have used the game DR myself on scratched disc and it has worked extremely well. One in particular was SC: PT, I couldn't play the single player game but could play on XBL just fine. I noticed a scratch on the disc and thought that might be the culprit. Sure enough, one round with the game DR and the disc was good as new.