PDA

View Full Version : Front Projection Tv Question

stevnso117
08-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Does anyone know if the projection tv that are like a movie theater projecter will play x box. Im talking about the one that has a sreen like a movie theater and the projecter that mounts on your roof. I know they play cable,dvd, etc but I wasn`t sure if they would play video games without causeing problem.

LynxFX
08-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Yes they do. I've had one for 3 years now and you can't really top that kind of setup for gaming or movies for that matter.

But anyway, they take consoles signals just like any other source like a DVD player or computer.

Here's my setup. (http://www.lynxfx.com/theatre.php)

severd hed
08-16-2004, 05:33 PM
yes, i also have a front projection system and i absolutly love it. they are especially great in small rooms where you dont really have the space for a large TV. the great part is, they have VGA inputs, so you can connect your PC as well. most have a native resolution of 800x600 or higher..it isnt like hooking your PC up to a tv where it looks like crap. it makes playinig PC games much more fun. doom 3 on a 72" screen with 5.1 audio is a beautiful thing.

i have an infocus X1 DLP projector, and a 60" wide projector screen. (that is the biggest i can go in my living room due to relativly short projection distance of 9ft.) this gives me a 72" digonal screen if 4:3 mode, and a 65" diagonal in 16:9.

the best part is that htey are easy to set up, and take up much less space than a large TV. absolutly no floor space is taken up by my system. i have my cable box, DVD player, multiple game consoles, and my pc all connected through it and it is awesome.

the only real drawback to a setup like this, is the room has to be fairly dark or the image is washed out..but who really wants to play games or watch movies with the lights on anyway.

as soon as i eat and clean up my living room a bit..i'll post some pics of my setup as well

TOTTEN
08-16-2004, 06:06 PM
as soon as i eat and clean up my living room a bit..i'll post some pics of my setup as well
You did already and it kicked ass. LynxFX your setup is freaking awsome too nice skin on your xbox also. When Im a adult i could only dream about having nice setups like you guys.

Reclaimer
08-16-2004, 06:50 PM
You did already and it kicked ass. LynxFX your setup is freaking awsome too nice skin on your xbox also. When Im a adult i could only dream about having nice setups like you guys.

It's all about having a job. You too could have such pimped up bling if you got a job.

I thought about getting one of those projectors, but I don't know how just watching normal daytime TV would be like. I don't live in a cave, and I don't want to start living in one just to take advantage of a projector.

severd hed
08-16-2004, 06:54 PM
yeah..i did post some a while back..but that was before i got a decent camera. i took a few more a little while ago and made a really crappy litte page to display them. due to the reflective nature of the screen..it is virtually impossible to take a picture of the screen and have the image show up if you use a flash or have the lights on. and even taking a picture of the screen without a flash, you can see the brightness is fine, but it looks blurry. it isnt like that in real life..it is very clear, it is just the screen doesnt photograph well (or im just stupid and dont know how to do it)

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4wygr/id2.html

i watch TV on mine all the time...i dont have a TV in my living room. my projector screen is in front of my window in my living room..and i just close the blinds and curtain on the window in the front door. if you keep the lights off and the curtains closed..it is fine. it also helps that i dont get home till 6pm so it isnt like i am watching alot during the day time..but on weekends, it is sitll plenty dark enough.

dont worry..once you get out on your own and get a decent job..you too can have a cool gaming setup. it isnt really that expensive. the great thing about projectors is they are easily portable. in 5 minutes, i can have it packed and ready to take to a friends house. i take it to my mom's house in the summer..and after it gets dark..we have two king size bed sheets sewn together for a screen. we hang that up on the side of her house and play xbox and watch movies on a 10ft wide screen. it is simply amazing. i just need a portable 5.1 system to go with it.

FuNkY mOnK
08-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Holy crap!!!That last picture was scary...I never saw that Doom3 character before and he's wearing a watch!. Anyway, i was thinking of getting one of these opposed to a regular HDTV but i here these projectors over heat and the lamps cost a bundle to replace is this true? also how would you compare the image quality to other sources.

ChessPieceFace
08-16-2004, 07:57 PM
I have been thinking about switching to that system, but i wasnt sure how much the bulbs cost when they go out ? if they do ?

severd hed
08-16-2004, 08:09 PM
i never had any overheating problems with mine, and on saturdays it runs all day long. usually 10am till around 1am. with no problems. yes, the lamps are expensive, but they last a long time. my projector, the lamps cost $300, and need replaced every 4000 hours. that is a long time. i have had my projector since last halloween and as of right now, i have 1551 hours used. and i use it very heavily..other than while in bed..this is the only tv i use. it pretty much runs from 6pm till 10 or 11 every weeknight..and usually 10 or 11am till midnight or 1am on weekends. and at this rate, it will last me at least 2 years before i have to replace the lamp. it works out to less than 8 cents/hour.

i am very happy with the image quality. i have everything connected via Svideo, except for my cable box, which only has composite video (yeah, i know, it blows). the pc is connected through the regular 15pin svga connection.

this projector has support for component inputs, but they are separate for interlaced and progressive scan, and i just really havent messed with it yet. (plus i need to get cables long enough) but with S-video, the picture quality is really great.

ChessPieceFace
08-16-2004, 08:20 PM
does it have component HDTV connectors i think like the red,blue green ? and is the 300 per bulb or total ? sorry hehe im just really interested since thinking about ditchin my 57 widescreen

severd hed
08-16-2004, 08:44 PM
mine has two adapters for component video inputs. there is an adapter that goes from component to their special S-video port(it has extra pins to be used with the component video) that is used for interlaced images.

there is also an adapter that goes from component to vga input for progressive scan images.

i have never really tried using the comonent inputs, due to the way the xbox functions. most of the games support progressive scan, but a few dont. also the dashboard doesnt. so if i connect it to the progressive scan input, i wouldn't be able to see the dashboard, or play certain games. plus since it uses the vga connection, i couldnt have my pc connected at the same time.

Chaotic
08-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Severed nice setup... I'll be posting pictures of mine once my theather room is complete.... :D

severd hed
08-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Severed nice setup... I'll be posting pictures of mine once my theather room is complete.... :D

thanks. i am hoping to be moving before too long, once i do, i would like to make it look a little better, at least a better way of mounting the screen.

CRAYMAN
08-19-2004, 02:44 PM
I just picked up a Sony HDTV LCD 50 in. It's a bit deeper than the plasma but...

If you've got the cash, I highly recommend it.

Oh yeah, I have the JBL Dolby digital Surround Sound set up as well with it.

stevnso117
08-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks for all the info you guys have some pimp setups. I think Im going to give the front projecter a try at my loft apartment that im buying to leave in so I don`t have to drive to work everyday. The loft is right near my work and my house is an hour north. I have a 42" Plasma at home which is simply awesome but I think I`ll like the projecter to. Hows the picture of a plasma compared to the projecter T.V. ?

severd hed
08-22-2004, 01:04 PM
i prefer the projector image over the plasma. now i havent done extensive testing with the a plasma screen..but we have one at work, and before it was hooked up in the cafeterie to display information from a PC..we played around with it for a while, and i just really wasnt impressed...especially for how much it costs. also, they suffer from burn in very quickly..something you dont have to worry about with a projector

Chaotic
08-23-2004, 08:01 AM
Plasmas are crap! I've got the SONY 60" LCD and love it. I was torn between that and the Samsung DLP 61". I'm extremely happy with my purchase!

CRAYMAN
08-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Plasmas are crap! I've got the SONY 60" LCD and love it. I was torn between that and the Samsung DLP 61". I'm extremely happy with my purchase!

Daaaammm! I have 60 inch envy!