PDA

View Full Version : New version of Gamespy

Azazel
01-25-2002, 04:51 PM
I assume most everyone is using Gamespy, so they can play xbox online.I dont know how many of you out there are also using the anti ads crack, which makes it so you dont have to see all those annoying 30 second ads. For those of you who are using it you should know that there is an updated version of Gamespy available for download today and if you install it the anti ads crack will no longer work. So pass on the update!

l Maximus l
01-25-2002, 04:53 PM
Thanks, Ty...I already downloaded it yesterday...But, I still noticed the adds...Maybe if I restart my computer that it will make it official, eventhough it didn't request that I do it.

What I noticed was a whole new set of adds! lol

Azazel
01-25-2002, 05:52 PM
I dont know what the deal is? After downlaoding the new version the crack didnt work, so i uninstalled and pulled the older version down from Morpheus, but the ads are still there! I think they found a way to stop the crack... I hate ads!!!!!!!!!!!

DT21
01-25-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ty818
I dont know what the deal is? After downlaoding the new version the crack didnt work, so i uninstalled and pulled the older version down from Morpheus, but the ads are still there! I think they found a way to stop the crack... I hate ads!!!!!!!!!!!
That's why Gamespy is free:).

Frostberg
01-25-2002, 06:33 PM
register it then if you hate ads so much....its better than paying $10+ a month for the MS network...which doesnt even exist yet lol

Azazel
01-26-2002, 12:46 AM
everyone complains about paying too much for everything (especially online) but then you b!tch at me to register. Frostberg you can lick my nuts! If you have a prob with that come find Ty on gamespy, Halo room of course

fanofslipknotib
01-26-2002, 12:56 AM
Gamespy is free? I thought it was 20 bucks?

Frostberg
01-26-2002, 09:16 AM
Ty, if you complain about the ads...then register...I havent registered myself, and nor do i ever plan to register. It is a waste of $20! If you complain about watching a 10 second ad then I dont HOW you survive...Do you not watch TV? Network tv is free because of all of those ads...you must also hate billboards and everything else that advertises a product...for what gamespy gives you, you shouldnt mind a few ads

fanofslipknotib
01-26-2002, 11:30 AM
Can I play Halo online with Gamespy witout paying 20 bucks?

bigguy316
01-26-2002, 12:45 PM
can you tell me what i need to play online what accesories, do i need to play on the computer screen or the tv what hoook ups go where????????:confused: :confused: :confused:

DT21
01-26-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by fanofslipknotib
Can I play Halo online with Gamespy witout paying 20 bucks?
Yes, you can just d/l gamespy tunnel and acrade. That's it!

Azazel
01-26-2002, 03:51 PM
I guess one of the biggest things I dont like is the fact that it is one of the only programs I have not been able to find a crack for. The ads are just so pointless. Many of them are only advertising to register, they are not even trying to sell anything.

In regards to your other comment about gamespy being better than paying for Microsoft online, I strongly disagree. With gamespy you get alot of lagging hosts, the program freezes up often etc. With the new online (hopefully) Microsoft will have very fast servers, so there will be no lag and no problems as well as alot of great 16 player games. $15 a month will be worth it in my opinion. Gamespy will have to do for now!

Frostberg
01-26-2002, 05:18 PM
Well by advertising to register, they are selling gamespy and basically $20 that goes right to them...And I said it was better than the MS network which doesnt even exist yet...so gamespy is better than something thats not even out yet...and there are ONLy laggy hosts because newbs think just because they have cable or DSL that they can host as many people as a PC online game...most you can do is 2v2, with a max of 3 xboxes...and thats what I can host, and my DSL is pretty high up there...there arent even any games good enough to go on the MS network...you would need like "Halo 1.5" but this isint in stone as of yet. I assume brute force will prolly come with the feature...but I still dont know if it will be worth it to pay for the network, considering there are other games id like to play and why pay for a bunch of packages if you will only play the game for a few hours a week. Then again I dont really know if its a good deal or not until I see how it works, and more importantly how many games will be able to play with the feature...

fanofslipknotib
01-26-2002, 05:40 PM
Why does it ask for a credit card when I try to download it? Do I just not put a number in? I want it for afree, then maybe decide to register it if I like it.

Azazel
01-26-2002, 06:38 PM
Once again a false statement Frostberg. I dont know how much you play online Halo, but not just newbies lag. I play about 4 hours a night after work, and 40% of the games have it least some lag. Including the expert rooms! We need fast servers, so this can be stopped.

Azazel
01-26-2002, 06:39 PM
Slipknot, if Gamespy is asking for a credit card then you are trying to download the registered version. Go to the bottom of the page and download the trial version!

Frostberg
01-26-2002, 07:23 PM
False statement my ass. I have been playing halo via gamespy since about the 2nd week it came out, and have helped many people connect...now lag is mostly because the host cant handle so many xboxes connected to it. I dont how any of my statements could be anything other than facts...MANY, around 95% of those people playing with gamespy only have a residential type of broadband...why 95%? Because only sometimes you get someone that can host a very large game...lag is based on how fast the hosts up bandwidth is, and how many people are on each xbox, and then how many xboxes there are Location is not that great of a factor. I know this from hosting and talking to people. I can only host up to 2 other xboxes, and up to 3 other people. This is providing I am the only player on the box. I cannot host 3 xboxes with one person on each because it requires too much upstream bandwidth for my DSL to handle...I can however, play laglessly with 2 on my xbox and 2 on someone elses. There have been cases where people have really bad connections and their broadband just isint the best, so games have been laggy. But I know it isint me. some people just dont have great cable or DSL. Im not saying people new to gamespy lag, im saying people who think they can host large games are newbs becausem they dont know how much they can handle. But of course even someone with a "bad" broadband connection can lag up the game.

fanofslipknotib
01-26-2002, 07:47 PM
Will you only lag a game if you host it, or even if someone with a great bandwith hosts, and you, if you dont have that great a bandwith, joins. Will it lag?

Frostberg
01-26-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by fanofslipknotib
Will you only lag a game if you host it, or even if someone with a great bandwith hosts, and you, if you dont have that great a bandwith, joins. Will it lag?

Interesting...thats why this is kind of tricky, because you dont know exactly who has the bad connection...
assuming you have a pretty good connection, you can prolly host at most 3 other people (including people on your xbox) and at the most 2 other xboxes. Usually you can play lagfree with 2 on your xbox and 2 on someone elses, also assuming they have a good connection. if someone with a high upstream bandwidth hosts, usually you lag because there is one guy out there with too many people on his box and he cant send out info fast enough or he has a bad connection. It can also be that there are too many people for the host to handle. The recommended upstream bandwidth the host has is 128kbps for every person you host to get a lag free game. Now you can prolly cut it to around 80-90kbps to still be fully playable with a little lag now and then. Remember this number only applies to the HOST and if you do host, dont forget to add yourself and anyone on your xbox when you figure it out. A little thing I have found out is also that if say you can host 2 other people and you have 2 on your xbox, you might have lag if you play with 1 person on 2 more xboxes, where as 99% of the time you can play lag free with 2 people on 1 box. This is pretty logical, because you dont have to go to 2 seperate places and send back info to your xbox, which could cause the lag.

Factors that determine if the people have a "bad" connection include:
Cable-too many users on during peak times, because with cable you share the connection with others in your "block", "neighborhood" or "region".
DSL-too many users during peak times, because with DSL you get bottlenecked at the CO. Also your distance depends on the quality of your connection, as well as the quality of the phone lines inside of your house.

fanofslipknotib
01-26-2002, 10:14 PM
Well, I live in a pretty secluded area, and my up and down kbs is pretty good from what I have been told. Check my "GAMESPY Help" thread, and tell me if its good.