PDA

View Full Version : X-Box on the Net! It is sweet!!

Xtopia
01-25-2002, 06:24 PM
Hi guys, I just have to share the joy! Halo on the net is so sweet!!! I knew it would be cool but no AWESOME! You were righ max, it is incredible...anyway my name is xtopia on gamespy look me up so i can try really, really, really, really, really, really, really, hard to frag you but get shot anyway!!!!!!!!!!!:)

LynxFX
01-25-2002, 06:26 PM
Start playing alot and if you are up to it, join the soon to be XBA Halo clan.

oscarc619
01-25-2002, 06:50 PM
Can somebody give me the exact link to download the gamespy software that is needed. I went to www.gamespy.com and could only find the gamespy arcade software. Is this what i need? Thanks for the help.

LynxFX
01-25-2002, 07:42 PM
Just download these:

http://www.gamespyarcade.com/download/#

http://launch.gamespyarcade.com/sof...spytunnel10.exe

oscarc619
01-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the links...much appreciated.

Ninja Scroll
01-28-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Start playing alot and if you are up to it, join the soon to be XBA Halo clan.

XBA Clan?!:confused: I didnt know there was one coming!
If so I- Ninja Jubei must be your leader and master!:D

Anyways, im happy to hear da dudes enjoying his online experience with Halo, I just cant wait until this summer foe sho!:cool:

JJaX
01-28-2002, 11:16 AM
I think wearing a [XBA] Tag is appropiate. But to wear it as a Clan tag is kinda dumb. Halo leagues and clans will develop once a game intended for Internet play comes about like halo 2 or 1.5. There are no records or stat tracking in Halo. People should just play halo on a fun yet competitive level. But please no need for clans, You just look dumb to the FPS community. PLus there is no equal level of playing yet for halo. The host always has a great advantage with 0 ping. There is no way to determine true skill when playing with 100+ ping against 0 ping. Unless you host and you lose, THat means you flat out suck.

And i do know what im talking about i was on a respected UT clan for CTF on the proving grounds league.

fanofslipknotib
01-28-2002, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I got hooked up with Gamespy yesturday, and it was awesome! I even played with Maximus, though I dont know if he was on my team, or against me.

LynxFX
01-28-2002, 12:33 PM
Here is the info (http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5827) on the XBA clan.

JJaX,

WTF are you rambling about?

I think wearing a [XBA] Tag is appropiate. But to wear it as a Clan tag is kinda dumb.
That is the same thing. If you were in a respected UT clan then you would know how tags work in the gaming world.

Halo leagues and clans will develop once a game intended for Internet play comes about like halo 2 or 1.5.
That is what we are starting to do, develope a clan so that when the online network comes we are ready. Halo 1.0 is already capable of such play and tournaments are already beginning.

There are no records or stat tracking in Halo.
That is why you give final scores at the end. It isn't that hard. Same thing that they did at Proving Grounds. Haven't been there for a year so not sure if they changed that and linked into UT's online stats.

But please no need for clans, You just look dumb to the FPS community.
Yup, organized team gameplay looks soooo dumb. :rolleyes:

PLus there is no equal level of playing yet for halo. The host always has a great advantage with 0 ping. There is no way to determine true skill when playing with 100+ ping against 0 ping.
Yes that is true to an extent except that is true in all online games. The hosts for UT games always had the best pings unless you found a third party to host and then just spectate. Not always the case though. Then it still comes down to your ping. I've been in situations where everyone on my team had under 50 ping and the opposite team had over 250 each. Then it has happened vice versa. The playing field will never be equal no matter how hard you try when it comes to someones net connection. The only true way is at a lan party.

And i do know what im talking about i was on a respected UT clan for CTF on the proving grounds league.
And that means jack-sh|t. Been there done that.

JJaX
01-28-2002, 02:01 PM
You have good points. But i really think taking halo (a game thats not meant for the internet) to such a competitive level will not work as well as other FPS.

Think about it, To have a 5 on 5 match you would need at least 3 "clan"members on one box on each team for it to run properley.
remember you can only have a max of 4 boxes linked so balancing matches will always be an issue.

Ok in theory i think clans of about 8 members could work. If you had a group of 4 on one box a group of 4 on another box (thats one team). Then you would need your oppenent to do the same. But setting up matches for all these people to come over and play all the time could become a great hassle over time.

Dont get me wrong, Clans are great. But i have a feeling things wont work at the level you expect it to.

That is the same thing. If you were in a respected UT clan then you would know how tags work in the gaming world.

I meant it would be ok to wear it as a means of finding fellow XBA forum members. Not for clans.

And thats WTF im rambling about......

LynxFX
01-28-2002, 04:03 PM
I do agree with you JJax on that it won't work as well as FPS games on the pc right now. There is still work to be done to compete on that level. That is why alot of us are really anxious for the official online network to get up and running so we can finally see once and for all if it is going to be worth a ****.

As for only having 4 xboxes, technically that is true but there are ways to fool it. One way is that people have hooked up two xboxes to a hub and joined a game on gamespy. It showed them on one xbox but they had 5 players playing on the two boxes.

Then there is this gamespy hack as well. I haven't personally tried it yet but will get to it sometime this week. I have joined a game that was running with the hack. There were a dozen people but I couldn't get in, probably because I didn't alter my gamespy yet. I did get to the tunnel chat area and could see everyone else. I don't know how many had multiple people on each xbox though or if there were more than 4. I'll try and check it out this week.

monkeyman
01-28-2002, 05:20 PM
do you think that me a 56ker should try and get my xbox online?

monkeyman
01-28-2002, 05:35 PM
click on the attachment and tell me if i would hook my xbox up to my computer would that be how i do it just put a cable in my xbox into the hub then into the computer and also download the one game spy stuff or do i need to hook another cable up to something

JJaX
01-28-2002, 05:47 PM
As for only having 4 xboxes, technically that is true but there are ways to fool it. One way is that people have hooked up two xboxes to a hub and joined a game on gamespy. It showed them on one xbox but they had 5 players playing on the two boxes.

There is no way to fool it. If you have 2 boxes into one hub and you connect to the internet you will still see 2 xboxes in the 'system link' play. Ive done it. Sorry man.....

LynxFX
01-28-2002, 06:21 PM
Yeah I just read someone did that, never tried it personally so was wondering.

I'm still thinking there is a way though. There's always a way. ;)

ClayDawg52
01-29-2002, 12:56 AM
COuld someone tell me how 2 get onlince w/ halo? I havent tried it yet, but id like 2 mess around with it. ALso will 56k work, or do i have 2 go 2 a friends house who has cable?