PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo patents Xbox features...

LynxFX
08-22-2004, 01:45 AM
Now this is a brain teaser. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/19/nintendo_online_gaming/)

Nintendo has been granted a US patent that yields it the ownership of key online multi-player gaming facilities, including player league tables, voice communications and online gaming host services.

*snip*

The two patents detail a "home video game system with hard disk drive and Internet access capability", but the second filing adds provision for "substantially real-time" online multi-player gaming, connection via an online gaming service, support for online "player performance data", using the connection to download information and do so securely through an authentication process, and the communication across the Net of "audio input signals".

*snip*
Patents can be modified to add new elements, and technology companies frequently amend existing intellectual property with new, related ideas - which then apply from the first filing date, in this case April 1999, long before last year's introduction by Microsoft of Xbox Live, its console-oriented online gaming and information service, and which also offers voice chat facilities.

Funny how Nintendo can patent features such as a harddrive and online capabilities, yet they don't have a console that has either. I don't consider 3 phantasy star online games "online console gaming". Of course this could just be for a new peripheral that will give these features to the Gamecube. Still makes you want to do this: :watchout:

TheCovenant
08-22-2004, 01:56 AM
wtf?!?!?

SPARTAN VI
08-22-2004, 04:20 AM
Wait wait wait.. so Xbox is now in violation of that patent, right?

So confused.. and angry.

SoundX
08-22-2004, 04:54 AM
What the hell is this? :huh:

MajorTom
08-22-2004, 06:24 AM
I don't think Microsoft is in violation of the patent because they had these things before the patent.

jschelm
08-22-2004, 07:07 AM
I read through the patent for a while and from what I can tell they are patenting their specific (Quote from the patent) "video game system modified to include additional communication and storage capability via a modem and hard disk drive"

They aren't patenting the idea of online gaming in general, just the way that they do it. I am sure MS has some of the same patents.

On a side note, check this out from the same patent

A user may receive a TV channel guide downloaded via the Internet, spot a program which the user desires to view and immediately access, via an IR input, the desired channel through the expansion device TV tuner. A user may also watch TV while simultaneously logging onto the Internet. A hard drive permits downloading from the Internet of entire games.

MajorTom
08-22-2004, 08:21 AM
I read through the patent for a while and from what I can tell they are patenting their specific (Quote from the patent) "video game system modified to include additional communication and storage capability via a modem and hard disk drive"

They aren't patenting the idea of online gaming in general, just the way that they do it. I am sure MS has some of the same patents.

Nintendo with a good idea?

Sheeyt
08-22-2004, 08:41 AM
So the next Nintendo is going to be Xbox? LMAO

jschelm
08-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Nintendo with a good idea?
I think so...Now if only they got some good adult games to go with these high tech features :whistle:

I can't imagine my 6 year old nephew caring that he can watch tv on his gamecube :D

MajorTom
08-22-2004, 10:12 AM
I think so...Now if only they got some good adult games to go with these high tech features

I can't imagine my 6 year old nephew caring that he can watch tv on his gamecube

Yeah. A better controller and making it not look like little purple make up kit might be good too.

Cryogenic Pyro
08-22-2004, 11:31 AM
What are you talking about? The Fisher Price controllers are the best.

LTM360
08-22-2004, 12:13 PM
/me :rolleyes: at the responses in this thread.

I think so...Now if only they got some good adult games to go with these high tech features

Go play Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and get back to me.

Yeah. A better controller and making it not look like little purple make up kit might be good too.

Yeah, and wouldn't it be nice if it had the lousy quality Xbox and Playstation 2 have? You know, their console needs to break for no reason whatsoever, and same with their controllers those things just won't break, and that friggin' wireless controller needs to suck a little bit, that thing is too perfect. :rolleyes:

On Topic: Nice to see Nintendo finally sees that Internet gaming is alot more successful than they thought it would be. Can't wait for Mario Kart/Tennis/Golf/Party online!

MajorTom
08-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Yeah, and wouldn't it be nice if it had the lousy quality Xbox and Playstation 2 have? You know, their console needs to break for no reason whatsoever, and same with their controllers those things just won't break, and that friggin' wireless controller needs to suck a little bit, that thing is too perfect.

You want to see quality. Get a friend over and both of you stand at opposite ends of a room. One of you throws and Xbox and the other one throws a game cube or a ps2 and then watch what happens when they collide. There's the better quality console for you.

Casper
08-22-2004, 01:05 PM
You want to see quality. Get a friend over and both of you stand at opposite ends of a room. One of you throws and Xbox and the other one throws a game cube or a ps2 and then watch what happens when they collide. There's the better quality console for you.
Yes, I always judge which console is the best when it's heavier than the other two.

Either way, this is a slick move by Nintendo, being that they are all but guaranteeing that the next console will not go for online gaming at all. And, being that it was requested before XboxLive - btw, how old is this story Lynx? - MS must have done something about this already.

l Maximus l
08-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Yes, I always judge which console is the best when it's heavier than the other two.

It seems to me that MajorTom was using an analogy demonstrating that the XBox is built better than the GameCube. I'd have to agree. And the Nintendo GameCube controllers are really cheap...with a D-Pad smaller than my thumb, and a yellow joystick that is far from being a joy. The oversized buttons and strange shaped buttons...Too bad the cube has horrible hardware that can't live up to the games that the cube is capable of running.

MajorTom
08-22-2004, 01:59 PM
That's how I judge my women.

MajorTom
08-22-2004, 02:04 PM
By which one is heaviest

MajorTom
08-22-2004, 02:06 PM
It seems to me that MajorTom was using an analogy demonstrating that the XBox is built better than the GameCube. I'd have to agree. And the Nintendo GameCube controllers are really cheap...with a D-Pad smaller than my thumb, and a yellow joystick that is far from being a joy. The oversized buttons and strange shaped buttons...Too bad the cube has horrible hardware that can't live up to the games that the cube is capable of running.
See maximus knows what I'm saying.

Casper
08-22-2004, 02:07 PM
You sound like a Cube fanboy :rofl:

Anyways, my girl's son has one and I've played it - I think that after all the frustrations I've had with my DVD laser on this dam thing, I'm still loving it alot more than I'd ever be able to do with a Cube, and you're totally right on the controller - he's 5, so he has no problem with it, but I can use one hand on the whole thing just about. The games are impressive, but there's such a lack of original titles on there that it's hard to even dream of investing in the system. Do you think there's an overkill of Mario or Zelda games on that system, or is it just me? :D

And I don't judge my girls that way, I'd rather see their boobs bash each other than have 2 of them go at it ;)

MajorTom
08-22-2004, 02:27 PM
You sound like a Cube fanboy :rofl:

Anyways, my girl's son has one and I've played it - I think that after all the frustrations I've had with my DVD laser on this dam thing, I'm still loving it alot more than I'd ever be able to do with a Cube, and you're totally right on the controller - he's 5, so he has no problem with it, but I can use one hand on the whole thing just about. The games are impressive, but there's such a lack of original titles on there that it's hard to even dream of investing in the system. Do you think there's an overkill of Mario or Zelda games on that system, or is it just me? :D

And I don't judge my girls that way, I'd rather see their boobs bash each other than have 2 of them go at it ;)

Yeah, they have a few good games but they're kind of like disney the way they take a classic and make something new out of it that ends up sucking.
And that's not bad way to judge women either.

Max33
08-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Aw ,Nintendo's alright,theyve got some good games.I'd rather they just became an exclusive XBOX thirdparty developer.I sold my GameCube when money got tight,but I'd like tho play that new Zelda.

LynxFX
08-22-2004, 03:35 PM
btw, how old is this story Lynx? - MS must have done something about this already.
They were just awarded the patents this month, so it is a new story. Gamespot reported on it as well but they never mentioned the second patent that covered online player stats, leagues, ladders and voice communication. Basically everything that Xbox Live does.

I don't know if this will have affect MS at all. It could have nothing to do with them, but they sure make it sound like it.

GuiltySpark
08-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Hey major that was a nice t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-triple POST!!! Edit button buddy...

Yeah, the new Nintendo may sound like the Phantom, but Mr. Head of Nintendo (Shigeru Mitamoto? something like that, anyways) said that the next Nintendo console will NOT have online capabilities. He then said that "that is not what the consumer wants" so, yeah, I know times change and all but you can't get more blunt than that. That was in a recent mag I think....

TOTTEN
08-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Hey major that was a nice t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-triple POST!!! Edit button buddy...

Yeah, the new Nintendo may sound like the Phantom, but Mr. Head of Nintendo (Shigeru Mitamoto? something like that, anyways) said that the next Nintendo console will NOT have online capabilities.
Dude give me a link I need to prove a buddy wrong.

LTM360
08-22-2004, 05:54 PM

$20 says the Gamecube would still work.

Take both system, tie them up, throw them out of a pickup truck. Drive around for about a mile, on a rocky road and the Gamecube will work. It's been posted, I've seen it, and so have many other people.

You want quality? Let's see I believe I've been through 2 Xbox's and 1 Gamecube. Hm... I've heard of PS2's breaking, and Xbox's breaking, never heard of a Gamecube breaking... stfu, you know nothing.

CMX Jedi
08-22-2004, 10:19 PM
wait wait wait wont my PC be violating it too? i play games on it, it has a hard drive voice comunication, and some of the other junk on that list.
so is this the reason nexbox wont have a HDD

Ford Mustang
08-22-2004, 11:02 PM

Take both system, tie them up, throw them out of a pickup truck. Drive around for about a mile, on a rocky road and the Gamecube will work. It's been posted, I've seen it, and so have many other people.

You want quality? Let's see I believe I've been through 2 Xbox's and 1 Gamecube. Hm... I've heard of PS2's breaking, and Xbox's breaking, never heard of a Gamecube breaking... stfu, you know nothing.

Teh Xbox is diesel. Stfu noob.

LTM360
08-23-2004, 12:46 AM
Teh Xbox is diesel. Stfu noob.

Teh Xbox is a peice of ****. Stfu n00b.

LynxFX
08-23-2004, 01:31 AM
wait wait wait wont my PC be violating it too? i play games on it, it has a hard drive voice comunication, and some of the other junk on that list.
so is this the reason nexbox wont have a HDD
The patents are console specific, so pc's are in the clear.

SPARTAN VI
08-23-2004, 01:39 AM

I don't doubt the GameCube's structural integrity. Afterall, it's N64 predecessor managed to get thrown into a pool, and still work a couple hours later. :D

Brutus
08-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Yeah. I always test my consoles by dragging them down a dirt road... Or throwing them in water. I mean, because we all know, it's how they can take a beating. It has nothing to do with the performance of it while in a smoke free, PC friendly area. Maybe you guys need to quit using your consoles as booster seats & floating devices. Mine are fine. I don't see how you guys keep getting f-ed up consoles. If it's broke, fix it. Especially Xbox. Have you seen all the moving parts inside!?!?!? It's Fantastic!

BananaMan
08-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Teh Xbox is a peice of ****. Stfu n00b.

you're at XBA, why? :confused:

CharlieHustle
08-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Did anyone notice that the patent was for the 64DD.. I think, in japan it was supposed to have been online enabled. But we all know what happened to it.. I think the patent just got approved. I seriously doubt if nintendo is goin to go online anytime soon.. I forgot what site explained this, but thats where i got this info from.. It was either gamepro ign or gamespy. One of them..

LTM360
08-23-2004, 08:09 PM
you're at XBA, why? :confused:

Cause I like Xbox, but that doesn't defeat that it's a hardware peice of ****.

Yeah. I always test my consoles by dragging them down a dirt road... Or throwing them in water. I mean, because we all know, it's how they can take a beating. It has nothing to do with the performance of it while in a smoke free, PC friendly area. Maybe you guys need to quit using your consoles as booster seats & floating devices. Mine are fine. I don't see how you guys keep getting f-ed up consoles. If it's broke, fix it. Especially Xbox. Have you seen all the moving parts inside!?!?!? It's Fantastic!

Performance of Gamecube I'd also have to hand credit to it. Faster loading times, and Resident Evil Zero graphics are compariable to Doom 3. Nintendo really needs to get some serious developers for that console.

OC Noob
08-24-2004, 10:06 AM

Ahhhh, the voice of reason.

Nice post.

ps Shimy Magiyomoto probably thinks GC2, GBA2 conectivity is more important then that silly online gaming fad, so we don't need to worry about online gaming and the next Nintendo console.

Cause I like Xbox, but that doesn't defeat that it's a hardware peice of ****.

Performance of Gamecube I'd also have to hand credit to it. Faster loading times, and Resident Evil Zero graphics are compariable to Doom 3. Nintendo really needs to get some serious developers for that console.

I've watched your pimply little ass spew BS though out this thread telling people to stfu, they don't know what they are talking about and calling them noobs, but to say RE:Z has graphics comparable to DIII is completely idiotic. With that single statement, you have proven YOU are the noob, don't know what you are talking about and need to STFU.

Its obvious that you have NEVER played DIII or you would make such a stupid comment. As far as Xbox vs GC, just look at Rid****. Xbox can do normal mapping that GC can't which gives it a huge edge in gfx, GC uses much shorter clipping and so is LOD because the hardware isn't as powerful. Ever notice how things just pop up out of no where in True Crime on GC and it doesn't on Xbox because you can see it in the distance.

You need to go sit on mommies lap and beg for a new Pokemon game and quit talking s**t about stuff you know nothing about.

I'm out :cheers:

CMX Jedi
08-24-2004, 10:27 AM

ha so this is on PS2s ass

LTM360
08-24-2004, 08:31 PM
I've watched your pimply little ass spew BS though out this thread telling people to stfu, they don't know what they are talking about and calling them noobs, but to say RE:Z has graphics comparable to DIII is completely idiotic. With that single statement, you have proven YOU are the noob, don't know what you are talking about and need to STFU.

Its obvious that you have NEVER played DIII or you would make such a stupid comment. As far as Xbox vs GC, just look at Rid****. Xbox can do normal mapping that GC can't which gives it a huge edge in gfx, GC uses much shorter clipping and so is LOD because the hardware isn't as powerful. Ever notice how things just pop up out of no where in True Crime on GC and it doesn't on Xbox because you can see it in the distance.

You need to go sit on mommies lap and beg for a new Pokemon game and quit talking s**t about stuff you know nothing about.

I'm out :cheers:

No, I didn't notice True Crime on GC, or Xbox for that matter, cause I play games that don't suck. Also, I played Doom 3 on PC, so suck my **** *******, the game is absolutely beautiful, and is the best looking game ever made, but to say RE: Zero's graphics arn't just as stunning proves you're probably just a fanboy. Rid**** and Doom 3 are better graphical games, yes, but as I said, you can't count out RE: Zero.

The pokemon stuff? Grow up. This is interesting, I've played Doom 3, I have an Xbox, PS2, and a Gamecube, yet I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm sorry, do you have all 3, played all 3 to the end? I doubt it, because your bull**** is rediculous, just because you don't agree with me don't mean you need to jump down my throat. Go play the game before you open your mouth, jackass.

I told Ford to stfu cause he told me to. It was just a joke, calm down. Doom 3 is able to run the graphics better than the GC, but the fact of the matter is that RE: Zero is just as impressive, though Doom 3 is more revolutionary.

Cryogenic Pyro
08-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Maybe you're wording things wrong here, but from what I've played of Doom 3, and of RE: Zero, Doom 3 picks up RE: Zero, spanks it, and sends it off to its room.

Brutus
08-25-2004, 09:15 AM
Maybe you're wording things wrong here, but from what I've played of Doom 3, and of RE: Zero, Doom 3 picks up RE: Zero, spanks it, and sends it off to its room.
Man. I literally cannot wait til I deficate in my drawers from playing this one!

LTM360
08-25-2004, 01:58 PM

I fail to see how it spanks it, yes, its graphically superior, but Zero is just so amazing, I Don't see how it's SO much better...

Maybe when I play Doom 3 for more than an hour I'll see it all.

MatrixMaul
08-28-2004, 12:09 AM
its perfectly normal t odo something like this.
Now, a different topic: I have patented the AIRPLANE. F*ck the Wright brothers idea. Im like Nintendo.

Korpse
08-28-2004, 03:00 AM
Here's an article about Nintendo's old skool online ventures... and I guess why they can patent certain stuff.

http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=258