PDA

View Full Version : Buying Games Wholesale

selowitch
08-22-2004, 06:48 PM
A clerk I know at a nearby video store remarked to me that he is able to buy his DVDs and videogames wholesale because he ... well ... works for a video store.

I assume that he can do this because he (or his boss) has a business or wholesaler's license. I would further assume that this is no small thing, that many hundreds if not thousands of dollars in fees (depending, I imagine, on which state you're in) are involved and it would not be possible for a mere Joe Shmo to start a business expressly for the purpose of gaining the right to legally buy games and DVDs wholesale. I'm sure that's been thought of and the loophole, if you can properly call it that, has been closed.

Any comments from business owners out there?

Brutus
08-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Not only that, Selowitch, but the mark-up involved in copyrighted Items with all the Digital encoding is rather small. That's why the small mom & Pop Shops always charge $50.00 for a new game & a company like Wal-Mart who buys Millions of games a year can't get you a better cost on them.
As a Marketing Distributor dealing with tools, I can tell you this: Good mark-up is double up on profits. Bad Marks = 50% or less. Games & DVD's are right about 20%
= Bad!
But hey, if you want to pay for your license & then sell to me for the same price you get it for, I'm down! Hook it up, Homie!

selowitch
08-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Not only that, Selowitch, but the mark-up involved in copyrighted Items with all the Digital encoding is rather small. That's why the small mom & Pop Shops always charge $50.00 for a new game & a company like Wal-Mart who buys Millions of games a year can't get you a better cost on them.
As a Marketing Distributor dealing with tools, I can tell you this: Good mark-up is double up on profits. Bad Marks = 50% or less. Games & DVD's are right about 20%
= Bad!Well, the trick for me is that I'm not in the business of selling movies or games, and so getting a license would have to be justified by some other retail endeavor, like perhaps selling/repairing Macintosh computers, which I do enjoy doing (and am on my way to being certified for). Could I then use my retail license at the Mac shop to order games and videos at wholesale? Would it be worth it?

But hey, if you want to pay for your license & then sell to me for the same price you get it for, I'm down! Hook it up, Homie!Better idea: What if I started a club of likeminded people that applied for (and split the cost of) a retail license so its members could buy games at wholesale?

Brutus
08-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Get it set up, man, & I'll buy that.