PDA

View Full Version : project ego?

monkeyman
01-25-2002, 07:32 PM
ok can someone tell me whats it about and put a site that has pics and tells me stuff bout it? thanks:D

Nato King
01-25-2002, 08:35 PM
This is a good site for Project ego.

http://www.360net.com/content/shared/frame.php?url=http://www.bigbluebox.com/game/game.html

Enjoy

monkeyman
01-25-2002, 08:41 PM
thanks

Nato King
01-25-2002, 09:17 PM
I think that Project Ego will show the real capabilities of the Xbox. That's just awesome in my opinion. I havn't seen a game yet with that much detail. And also, the company apologized for this picture because they said it was bad graphics....YEAH RIGHT! They said that this is half of what the real game is going to look like.

Also, this is an RPG. But unlike all the other games in the world, this game has no definate ending. You can be good if you want or you can be bad (as in like a robber). You start out at age 8 and end whenever you want, say 85??? I'm not sure if this is all true, it's just what i have heard, but if it is true, it will probably be the best game out for Xbox (which i think it'll come out this November). I can't wait to see more of it

wizkid918
01-26-2002, 09:28 AM
somewhat true, start at age 15-17 and as you prgress through the main story you get older, when you 'beat' the game you're 70-80

anthrax0r
01-26-2002, 09:32 AM
Hm i wonder what would happen if you're an extremely slow 'taking my time' gamer and end up dying of old age before actually beating the game? :D :D

monkeyman
01-26-2002, 09:44 AM
your probably age after you walk around or meet some kinda checkpoint so i doubt that if you stay in the same area you would change but i dont know

wizkid918
01-26-2002, 09:48 AM
yes, it is somewhat linear to where you only age as you progress throught the main story, feel free to take your time

Nato King
01-27-2002, 08:34 PM
From the mouth of Dene Carter (Managing Director), here are a bunch of new details for you guys!
These are all details about Project Ego that Dene has posted on the forums:

Wouldn't it be nice to see flowing hair and clothes in Project Ego like there is in DOA3?

[DeneCarter] - Cloth and hair: done.

Are those just bitmaps in the backround, or can you actually go up to those mountains and explore them?

[DeneCarter] - There are no 'backgrounds' in this game. There are areas you can't get to due to their severe topography, just like the real world. Our engine just approaches Albion as 'world' - not 'Walkable world' and 'Useless Eye Candy'. It's one of the reasons we've had to start writing software to 'grow' a lot of our landscape. With our world size we'd be writing this game into the next century if we had to create every detail by hand.
By 'grow', I mean that since our world is really quite large (and growing all the time) we could easily spend all our time creating mountains, outcrops, forests, lake-beds, valleys etc. and run out of time to make the areas interesting.

Thus, we use a set of bizarre hybrid routines to tell us what Albion looks like in detail, at the keypress, without myself or Jules (our other designer) having to do it all from scratch.

It's very odd, but it works increadibly well, allowing us to concentrate on the important things...
Since our world is really quite large (and growing all the time) we could easily spend all our time creating mountains, outcrops, forests, lake-beds, valleys etc. and run out of time to make the areas interesting.

Thus, we use a set of bizarre hybrid routines to tell us what Albion looks like in detail, at the keypress, without myself or Jules (our other designer) having to do it all from scratch.

It's very odd, but it works increadibly well, allowing us to concentrate on the important things...

What are the controls for Ego?

[DeneCarter] - As usual there's some really good stuff here. We're still playing with controls at the moment.

We're currently using:

Left stick = move hero
Right stick = move camera
Right stick button = hero close-up, reaction and feedback
A = Action
X = Use held item/power up
Y = Draw/Sheathe weapon
B = Begin/end will/concentration
White = Switch to backup weapon
Black = Change to alternate clothing set (disguise)
Left trigger = Sneak/Duck/Shield
Right trigger = Lock on
Select = Out of game controls (look at your map, quest reminders etc).
Start = Pause

The D-pad is going to be used for something rather interesting.

There's a lot of cool stuff hidden in that layout - not all of it obvious at first.
Remember - this is not finalised. It's going to be tested to death to ensure we get everything we need out of it.

Would your armor or weapons break in Project Ego?

[DeneCarter] - Some objects will be damagable - armour particularly, which will be fixed by a blacksmith. We haven't planned to extend this to weapons.

In Project Ego will there be visual hints of evil?

[DeneCarter] - Although we are adding an extra special morph for those of a truly evil persuasion: slightly veined skin and darkened eye-sockets. We may be using the darkened eyes for 'No sleep' status change.

Movement: How and Where the Character Can Move?
Combat: The Three Combat Types and the Mechanics of Each?
Control: How the player can Accomplish the Above?

[DeneCarter] - We differentiate between 'general blows' and 'vital strikes'. You'll have a hard time killing an armed foe with only general blows, but the stealthy player will rely on vital strikes all the time. We wanted to create a paradigm of 'seeking the enemy weak point' and 'taking advantage of an opening'. Brute strength is still an option, but skill will play a large part in combat. Practice increases the 'opening' period on enemies (reflecting the player's increased skill and deadliness with a weapon).

Dene Talking about a screenshot:

[DeneCarter] - The big thing in the cente is a covered bridge (see Sleepy Hollow - another one of our major influences). The barn at the back is a storage shed for Bowerstone which is next to the river. Supplies are loaded and unloaded by traders.

We have heard that armor grows, whats up with that?

[DeneCarter] - The armour growing was a debug-showing of our morphing skeletal system. You'll need to be pretty buff in order to wear armour as heavy as that in the scene.
When you see our new on-screen gauges a lot of this armour stuff will become extremely clear. :-)

Will Project Ego feature jobs?

[DeneCarter] - We're putting *some* jobs into the game. If we think any are dull, we're going to forget about them. Remember folks, this is a console game and there's no way someone will want to perform some repetitive action ad nauseum.

We have heard lately that the Character in Project Ego will never speak. Whats all that about?

[DeneCarter] - The character is only 'figuratively' mute. By this, we mean that although the player cannot hear him speak, the people of Albion respond as if he has. We couldn't bear the idea of the player having his illusions of his character shattered with an unrepresentative voice