PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the timing of a release date effects the sales of a game?

Snowblind
08-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Do you think the timing of a release date effects the sales of a game?

I say yes. Mainly because games like Mechassualt 2 which is released 2 days after Christmas and Unreal Championship 2 which ships in the middle of January are not going to sell as well as they would if they were released sometime...oh say in July.

Shadow20002
08-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Competitions.

pvsurfer03
08-28-2004, 03:11 PM
I think it depends, sometimes games are overshadowed by huge blockbuster hits. But, i think more publishers should release their games at different times than just the holidays. If it's a good game it will sell.

Kortiz
08-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Games that were released around the time of Rainbow Six 3 -- got screwed.

Games that are released near the end of the year -- sell BIGTIME -- it's Christmas season and that's when people spend the most money.

Just like movies -- movies sell better when there is no competition around that week.

Competition is the biggest factor, but different times in a year give better sales than others. IE: Christmas time...

SoundX
08-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Of course it does, games like SSX3 won't sell in say, summer. And if you happen to release around the same time as a major release like Halo 2, you can kiss Number 1 in the chart goodbye.
It effects sales alot more than most people think. And of course, not forgeting some developers "if its crap, push it back and crumple it in santas slay" type attidude.

Darkside
08-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Its dangerous to release a big games sale.

tbut sometimes releasing a few days after a holiday helps because of children you get cash and junk.

David Luckey
08-29-2004, 06:31 AM
"Timing is everyting"

sabca
08-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Definitely, man, releasing a game is all about timing. Pretty much for the reasons already mentioned

Peepers
08-30-2004, 02:44 AM
The answer to this question is rediculously obvious: YES! Anyone who says "no" isn't even thinking. Retail volumes definately cycle, most obviously at Christmas time. To say that this cycle and its underlying factors wouldn't impact seasonal video game sales contradicts economics and logic.

severd hed
08-30-2004, 10:35 AM
yes and no. If a game is good, serious gamers will buy the game, no matter what time of year it is. and it appears as if there are more serious gamers out there than there were years ago. yet it does affect the casual gamer more. also people who buy games for their children, timing is everything to them.

i'd say the biggest timing problem is not what time of year it is..but what else is coming out at the same time. Doom 3 for instance at one point, they said it may not be released for xbox till early next year. which is probably a smart move. while any real gamer will no doubt pick it up whenever it is released...the casual gamer may not want to buy it right now, since Halo 2 will be out shortly. serious gamers will buy them both asap..but there are alot of gamers who cant get both at the same time, so it would make sense for Doom3 to be released a few months later. because even though it is an amazing game..it wont have the replay value that halo 2 has.

l Maximus l
08-30-2004, 03:12 PM
If a game released the same day as Halo 2, it will delay sales big time..maybe to the point where people will forget about the game. So, I voted yes.

George89
08-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Definatly. If you release a game in December or November, it's either going to get trampled by the competition, or sell really well due to people giving presents for Christmas. September for instance is going to be very competitive, with games like Fable, Silent Hill 4, Juiced, Guilty Gear X2, Def Jam 2, Dead or Alive Ultimate (i think), Star wars: Battlefront, Kingdom Under Fire, and lots of other great games.

skorp
09-01-2004, 02:25 AM
I think it would... At least for a little while...

I'd hate to release a game on the same month as Halo2... :eek:

Duke
09-01-2004, 10:42 AM
No question about it. Not only do I not have enough money to buy every game that looks good, but I wouldn't have time for them if I did.

There are titles I put on the back burner, and plan to buy them later on, but I have usually forgotten about them by the time I've got the time/cash.

Cloud Wolf
09-01-2004, 04:38 PM
If 2 massive games a next to each other most people will buy the one they most wanted and the othe one will be pushed aside for a month or two so the most popular will be bought, ect.

No Fear 23
09-01-2004, 04:51 PM
Well it depends on the kind of game and the hype it creates. Like halo 2 for example, that game will do well in sells no matter what. But for other games.. it's best to release them around christmas since the sales are always high during that time.

Whisper
09-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Not as much as it does for movies.. but it has a small effect im sure.