PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Xbox

Malachi
01-26-2002, 09:06 PM
Hi there.

I'm Malachi, an Aussie eargerly awaiting the 14th of March release of the Xbox over here.

I am trying to get an answer to one extremely important question. You see, in Australia we run on the PAL system (as opposed to NTSC). To be compatible with our system, during the conversion process, most games are just swashed into letterbox format (black borders at top and bottom) to run at PAL 50hz.

Now with the Dreamcast and the inclusion of its PAL 60hz option, for the first time Aussie gamers were able to run games full screen, full speed like their American and Japenese counterparts.

Now for my question.

Does anyone know if the Australian PAL Xbox will come with PAL 60hz compatibility? It is of great importance to me as it makes the gaming experience a whole lot better.

ANY information at all concerning my question will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hugh_Jass
01-27-2002, 06:04 PM
I don't know but I'm guessing you will see letterbox. As far as I know there are only three resolutions on the XBOX: 480, 720, 1081. How many scan lines do Pal TVs use?

Malachi
01-27-2002, 07:46 PM
PAL actually uses a higher resolution (of lines) than NTSC. When its 60hz it uses the full capability of the PAL signal.....

Judging by how many ppl have replied, either no-one knows or no-one cares (or both).

Ah well. No worries. :cool:

Hugh_Jass
01-28-2002, 12:35 PM
I've got a few movies in PAL. I prefer PAL over NTSC because it makes letterbox movies nearly look anamorphic. I also used to have a modified Amiga 2000 that I could switch between PAL and NTSC. I preferred PAL games because, again, they were higher resolution. I know what you're talking about but I don't know the answer to your question. If there is a way to make the XBOX display in PAL I'd love to know about it myself.