PDA

View Full Version : If you have an Xbox, you're sinning if you don't pick up Burnout 3.

Motoko
09-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Go snag a copy and meet me on LIVE.

BananaMan
09-08-2004, 04:09 PM
I'm not :confused:

Darkside
09-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Too many god damn games coming out X.X

Viper87227
09-08-2004, 05:12 PM
****ing amazing... all i have time to type, back to playing

Shadow20002
09-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Hmmm..need to wait i get Fable first...

Ninjermy
09-08-2004, 05:35 PM
i need to rent burnout, ill call and see if they have it (almost garunteed not to but mind as well try)

Stifler
09-08-2004, 05:39 PM
**** Burnout 3, you're sinning if you don't buy NHL 2K5

GuiltySpark
09-08-2004, 06:02 PM

Canadians :rolleyes:

Whizard97
09-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Actually, seeing as how EA Sports has been shafting MS and XBox gamers for years... why would not supporting EA be a 'sin' as an xbox owner? I can see not supporting EA as a sin if you're a PS2 owner, seeing as how EA has carried that pile of crap to the high throne it enjoys.

Stifler
09-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Canadians :rolleyes:

Don't start, seriously...

Viper87227
09-08-2004, 06:07 PM
am I the only person who managed to pick it up....NO stores have it in stock

Stifler
09-08-2004, 06:15 PM
That's because NO stores want it :D

Motoko
09-08-2004, 07:04 PM
am I the only person who managed to pick it up....NO stores have it in stock

I searched through 5 stores, then lucked out as I just happened to be in the EBX as they got the brown UPS package.

Viper87227
09-08-2004, 07:05 PM
That's because NO stores want it :D

Ha... ha haha...

Ha...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

have you even played it?

Stifler
09-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Played the 2nd, decent, but nothing special. Personally I'm more for a realistic racer. Rallisport Challenge 2 is a hell of a lot better in my opinion.

Viper87227
09-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Burnout 3 is not even comparable to Burnout 2. The difference.... BO2 was by acclaim, aka no money. BO3 is by EA, aka money out the ass. I am telling you, as an avid fan of RSC2, this game is phenominal. Its racing, perfected.

LTM360
09-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Stifler, I'm getting all 3 (Burnout 3, ESPN NHL 2K5, & Fable), so I hope I'm not sinning at all. :)

Viper; I can't believe someone would say that it's better than Ralli, if that is so, I'm gonna die playing this game.

Viper87227
09-08-2004, 09:39 PM
I will say they are very different games. Rally and street racing while kicking hte crap outta cars are two differnt things, but looking at them as pure racing games, Burnout 3 is much better, and I really liked RSC2.

Burnout 3 is just fun....its fast, its got more modes than you can dream of, Live, and at times, just seeing how cool of a crash you can make rocks. Everything about thi sgame isjust perfect. Amazing graphics, models, enviroments, crashes, and the sense of speed is something ive never experianced in a racing game. It literally makes every other racing game feel sluggish. Every specail effect just makes the game feel so polished. Its one of the 1st games ive played that actaully feels 100% done, perfect, errorless. If I could find one single thing I didnt like about it, one single bug, glitch, or even lack of contect, I would put it here, but i find nothing, absolutly nothing, wrong with this game....

If your into racing games LTM, before you get this, grab yourself some mountain dew, nodose, a towel, and a change of clothers, your gunna take full advantage of everyone one of them

studepaber
09-08-2004, 10:06 PM
You bunch of sinners!!! Go pick up BO3 pronto! I can't stop playing the d@mn game, I loved BO2 btw but this one beats it in every category! Crashes are un-farkin-believable.

AlphaCigara
09-08-2004, 10:19 PM
This weekend, i will own it...i'll probably suck ass at it, but i'll have it and enjoy it :)

Stifler
09-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Stifler, I'm getting all 3 (Burnout 3, ESPN NHL 2K5, & Fable), so I hope I'm not sinning at all. :)

Viper; I can't believe someone would say that it's better than Ralli, if that is so, I'm gonna die playing this game.

You the man...we gotta hit it up online in NHL 2K5...I new to beat somebody new :D

Koopa
09-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Too many god damn games coming out X.X

During the entire summer I purchased maybe three or four games tops. I was in an EB yesterday looking at all the coming soon boxes and it got me thinking. I went home and compiled a list of all the games coming out just in September that I really want to play. Take a ****ing look at this:

Guilty Gear X2 - 9/7 - 19.99
Burnout 3 - 9/7 - 49.99
Fable - 9/14 - 49.99
X-Men Legends - 9/22 - 49.99
The Sims 2 - 9/14 - 49.99
Star Wars Battlefront - 9/20 - 49.99
Myst IV Revelation - 9/21 - 39.99
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - 9/28 - 49.99
Sly 2: Band of Thieves - 9/14 - 39.99
Mega Man X Command Mission - 9/21 - 39.99

Then take into account the fact that I already purchased Star Ocean and Phantom Brave this month. That means that if I wanted to buy all the games I want this month I’d have to spend over five hundred bucks. That is totally ****ing insane. What in the hell is wrong with the videogame industry? If they spread these games out over the course of a year I’d probably buy every one of them. As it stands now, I’ll end up having to rent 90% of these.

In the movie industry you have a few big summer blockbusters, but decent movies come out year round. Imagine if every single movie worth watching came out in July. Imagine if you had to spend five hundred dollars in one month just to see the movies you were interested in. People wouldn’t stand for that. Why is it that the videogame industry is able to get away with this bull****?

I’m not even talking about October and November here. 99% of all the games worth playing in a given year come out in the space of three months. THAT IS ****ING RIDICULOUS! I keep looking at that list I posted above and shaking my head. It’s hard to believe that they can get away with this level of banditry. I’m not going to take a loan out just to buy the games I want this month. That means I’ll only be purchasing one or two of the titles on that list. I know for a fact I’m not the only one who will be make some hard decisions in the next few weeks.

I’d love to hear an explanation for this. If you work in the industry and you have some light you could shed on this please share it with the class .
------------------------------

I’ve got a great letter here from a developer. I’m not going to say where he works but you’ve probably played his games.

Hi Gabe,

Most of us in the industry are as puzzled about these release schedules as you are. Why would you release games in such a way as to get them buried under a landslide of other great games? From a money-making standpoint, this makes about as much sense as releasing the pilot of a new TV series during the SuperBowl. No TV producer in their right mind would ever do that. However, this happens every year in our industry and there's really only one reason I can think of. It's the same reason so many sequels get made for games -- people like to play it safe. And it drives most of us in the trenches mad.

Now I know what you're thinking "What? How is 'getting your title buried in a **** heap of other games so that it doesn't sell nearly as well as it could have' playing it safe?" I have a theory on this that I call "The Christmas Decoration Phenomenon." As near as I can tell, there are legions of trolls that sit in marketing offices all day crunching numbers. They are really sensitive to patterns, even ones that the normal human eye is incapable of seeing. It would seem that, at some point a few years back, some clever marketing troll said to himself "hmm... a lot of games sell around Christmas, because people go and buy toys for kids at Christmas. I know! If we sell our game at Christmas, we'll make tons of money!" And it worked. For years, it seemed that the maxim was "lets push this game and get it out the door at Christmas." And, like the decorations at department stores, the definition of "Christmas Time" keeps getting pushed back sooner and sooner and lasting longer and longer. Now, "The Holiday Season" begins in September and ends in January.

Well this year, I think what happened is that everyone did as they normally did -- scheduled for Christmas -- oblivious to the fact that everyone else was doing the same damn thing, and all of a sudden there's a crisis. "Oh ****, you mean GTA4, Half-Life 2, Metroid Prime 2, Halo 2, AND OurGameX are coming out in the same week? Crap! How did this happen? Lets shuffle around some deadlines... release a week later.. a week earlier.. a month earlier... and so forth."

It really just comes down to some crappy planning based on the stagnangy of marketing philosophies. Releasing during the holidays is "safe"... even though tons of other games are coming out... I dont know if you can hear it, but my eyes are rolling back in my head right now.

At any rate, I think there is some light at the end of the tunnel. From rumblings that I hear, you'll probably start to see more games released mid-year than before to avoid just this sort of thing. Nintendo has been doing this for a long time. They'll step out the release of their awesome first party titles throughout the year to avoid a pile-up at Christmas... like intelligent people.

That's just my theory, though. I'm sure someone involved in marketing would be able to help you out much better than I could.

~ Dodger

I'll post more good ones if I get them.

----------------------------------------------

This was the other explanation I heard a few times. I’ve gone ahead and removed the name of the developer again.

I will add this to your friend's sage advice. Most companies are publicly traded and having a big Q4 (4th quarter) is good to inspire stock sales for the following year. Remember company success is no longer based on something as easy to track as good sales. It is also largely linked to this mysterious thing known as consumer confidence. The consumer strangely enough is not the person who lays down the cash at the check out stand of the local Wal- Mart, no they are the ones who lay down their money at the local online stock trader. True a lot of a companies clout is based on sales but people look at the year end and there is only one time where a developer can salvage a year end and that is in the months leading up to Christmas. Again sales to you do not matter at this time. More so the publisher's sales to Best Buy matter as they front the money for the product and will reclaim said money later for product not sold in their stores also known as sell through. Thi s allows for the negatives to be placed nicely in Q1 when the public has not realized what kind of smoke and mirrors were laid in front of them to get them to buy stock.

~Chuck

-Gabe out

that is why i will not buy burnout 3

LynxFX
09-08-2004, 11:42 PM
The first Burnout pissed me off because of a blatent lie on the packaging. Since then it left a serious bad taste in my mouth and I didn't even take one glance at Burnout 2.

However, I did glance at the videos of Burnout 3 and I must say, shhhhhweeet! I will be picking up this title. But with Fable, Doom III, and Half Life 2 I won't buy it until it is on sale. But once I find the spare change and spare time I'll gladly add it to my collection which nearly this entire year has been gathering dust.

severd hed
09-09-2004, 12:01 PM
i wasnt impressed with the first burnout, i gave burnout two a chance..and absolutly loved it. got burnout 3 last night and it is 5x better than burnout 2...it is just amazing. i havent played on live yet..but the offline is insane

Brutus
09-09-2004, 12:29 PM
i'LL second the not buying 2K5, but Burnoout looks great! I don't know if it's for me though. I just can't really get into the racing title's.
You have to love the sparks, fire & smoke though.

AlphaRaptor
09-09-2004, 02:51 PM
i wasnt impressed with the first burnout, i gave burnout two a chance..and absolutly loved it. got burnout 3 last night and it is 5x better than burnout 2...it is just amazing. i havent played on live yet..but the offline is insane
Agree, its the most intence car racing expierience I've played yet. Sparks, cars, smoke, dust and dabree are flying everywhere the entire race. The sounds are done very well and tie everything together seemlessly to boot.

Viper87227
09-09-2004, 03:00 PM
The first Burnout pissed me off because of a blatent lie on the packaging. Since then it left a serious bad taste in my mouth and I didn't even take one glance at Burnout 2.

However, I did glance at the videos of Burnout 3 and I must say, shhhhhweeet! I will be picking up this title. But with Fable, Doom III, and Half Life 2 I won't buy it until it is on sale. But once I find the spare change and spare time I'll gladly add it to my collection which nearly this entire year has been gathering dust.

What lie would that be? SUE! SUE! SUE!

severd hed
09-09-2004, 03:15 PM
seeing someone crash in front of you, their car flips up in the air and you swerve and drive right underneath it...it is awesome. debris and chunks of metal go flying, sparks everywhere...and it is so fast. the only problem i have is that the slow motion feature is awesome..but sometimes i would rather watch the wrecks in real time..but i usually miss the begginning of it because i was using my boost, and once you wreck..the boost button becomes the slow motion button. its not really an issue..more of my inability to let go of the button when i crash.

you absolutly must play this game, definatly a must have title

WynnFire
09-09-2004, 03:23 PM
I am going to rent it from work tomorrow. If most of my games (that I don't play as much anymore) weren't purchased used, I would trade most of them in for Burnout 3. But, luckily I work at a rental store and will be able to play it for 5 days. Same with Fable but not with Halo, that will be pre-ordered.

AlphaRaptor
09-09-2004, 04:48 PM
the only problem i have is that the slow motion feature is awesome..but sometimes i would rather watch the wrecks in real time..but i usually miss the begginning of it because i was using my boost, and once you wreck..the boost button becomes the slow motion button. its not really an issue..more of my inability to let go of the button when i crash.

That can be disabled in the "settings>gameplay" menu. :)

LynxFX
09-09-2004, 05:55 PM
What lie would that be? SUE! SUE! SUE!
Their whole claim about the game being HD.

Oh well, it's been what...2 years now? I guess I can let it go. :D

SPARTAN VI
09-10-2004, 05:16 AM
What's XboxLive?

Viper87227
09-10-2004, 07:05 AM
What's XboxLive?

I knew you were stupid...

Spaztic
09-10-2004, 08:46 AM
I must agree I picked this game up last night and it is off the hook. Very cool crashes. I have been a fan since the first burnout, I love this series. I do have two complaints though, the soundtrack is pretty lame, and also this game is really easy, I have raced 10+ races and gotten 1st place everytime.

SoundX
09-10-2004, 09:38 AM
My copy has arrived, now I need to get home!

studepaber
09-10-2004, 10:08 AM
I must agree I picked this game up last night and it is off the hook. Very cool crashes. I have been a fan since the first burnout, I love this series. I do have two complaints though, the soundtrack is pretty lame, and also this game is really easy, I have raced 10+ races and gotten 1st place everytime.

I agree about the lame soundtrack, diversify EA c'mon!!! As far as the difficulty of the game it seemed easy to me at first as well, but wait until you get to the super cars.... The faceoffs are buggin me right now, as the AI seems to find a way to get right on my tail after crashing him several times. The time challenges are tough to get gold in for me as well (you gotta have a near-perfect run). Great game though, only Fable will tear me away from this game for the next month or so.

Motoko
09-10-2004, 10:41 AM
I was at a ranking in the 500's a few days ago, now I'm about to break 1000.

Anyone want to take me on? ;)

LTM360
09-10-2004, 03:11 PM
There is only one possible complaint anyone can make about Burnout 3: Takedown. The soundtrack, and even that can be fixed with custom soundtracks... all I have to say it... wow.

This game is racing bliss. We seriously need to hook up on Burnout 3 on Live...Motoko, myself, whomever else. My GMRTag = LTM360 send me invite, this game won't leave my disk tray until Fable comes out, and even then I highly doubt seeing myself playing Fable more than this.

severd hed
09-10-2004, 03:27 PM
yeah..the soundtrack blows...so does that annoying DJ. i would hate to have the PS2 version where i would be stuck with their music..but with the xbox custom soundtracks...this game is nearing perfection.

and i didnt find it overly easy..it took me a few tries to win some of the races...especially the face offs. once i realized that burning up your boost right after wrecking them to get really far ahead doesnt work..it is better to just keep driving normally, and once they catch up to you, then you use your boost, wreck them again..and repeat until you win.

what suprised me was the rate at which you unlock things... i played for a few hours and i am already up to 18 vehicles unlocked.

Brutus
09-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Hey, LTM. I'm not a racer type of guy. Is this the definitive racing experience?
Is this the ONE to get?

LTM360
09-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Brutus, I'm not a racing person, though I've been floored by my last two racing purchases (Burnout 3 & RalliSport 2), I say rent it and see if you like it, but im damn glad I bought it.

Brutus
09-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Not into racing & you've got two! I'm talking about this: Once in a blue moon, I'll throw in PGR2 & it makes me happy. Adrenaline pumping, eyes wide, whit knuckles.
It's fast paced, got the graphics to make me happy & the surround sound & tracks (Plus the seamless Radio Station/ Harddrive is off the chain!) Is it going to replace the "Cone Challenge" (That thing rules.) & everything else it has to offer.
I don't know if it can do that, but you guy's sure are buzzing this thing pretty darn well.

JJaX
09-12-2004, 10:55 PM
My favorite racing series was 'Rush' (sanfrancisco Rush etc)
And this looks like the closest thing ill ever see on a next gen console.

This game has caught my attention, and I'll probably pick this up soon.

Sheeyt
09-13-2004, 08:13 AM
I'm completely disgusting by EAs online format and inability to keep a connection to the EA servers. Its virtually impossible to continue playing with friends in this game because you are disconnected from Live after every couple of races. Really dissappointing online experience.

Brutus
09-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Man. I'm worried about depth.
I was just severely dissapointed with Burnout's 1 & 2. Maybe if all I wanted to do was crash stuff, then I'd might as well just wait for HALO 2 because the vehicles are better, & there's more Smoke, Sparks & Explosions...
But yea, I know 50 some more days... Well, Fable is here on Wednesday! That'll definately hold the tides!!!!

severd hed
09-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Burnout 3 is the racing game for people who dont like racing games (and people that do) if you have an xbox..you need to at least rent this game...it is simply amazing. (still havent played on live...but im not really into online gaming)

i do have one complaint about burnout 3...which is also a complaint about burnout 2. It doesnt keep your music settings saved. so if you want to use custom soundtracks, you have to tell it that when you start up..every time. it is just mildly annoying..but still it takes away from the experience. It is a pain going into the audio settings every time you boot up and telling it not to use their crappy music.

other than that..this game is as close to a perfect racing game as you will get. generally, i dont like racing games that much. i hated the gran turismo games. i did pick up sega GT 2002, cause it was cheap..and while it isnt bad..it just isnt much fun. the Rallisport Challenge series, and the burnout series are the only racing games i thoroughly enjoyed. i love burnout 3..because you dont need to know anything. you can just pick up and play it. you dont have to worry about selecting the right tires, or gear ratio or crap like that... you get in and drive..go as fast as you can and wreck everyone in sight.

SoundX
09-13-2004, 12:01 PM
Soundwise, the only complaint is that annoying DJ Radio Station Guy. What the hell is he doing in Burnout? This isn't SSX.

Brutus
09-13-2004, 12:34 PM
EA's announcers are so Moronic. Even Madden.
Where do they find these guys!?!

Koopa
09-13-2004, 04:48 PM
've been thinking I needed to set aside some time to appreciate Electronic Arts here the post for biting the bullet and supporting Xbox Live. I have been somewhat impolite when discussing the issue in the past, but I'm man enough to admit it when somebody else does right and I'm ready to say something kind if I have to. Luckily, after playing Burnout online, I'm not obligated to do anything of the kind.

First, a parable: I am extremely enthusiastic about nectarines. They're fantastic. Like all fruit, there is definitely something erotic in their presentation. I bought one with the intention of eating it.

When they're ripe enough, no cutting is required. You can just grab both sides and twist - as you might twist a squirrel - and then eat the halves over the sink wildly while the juice runs down your arm. That didn't happen this time. What happened is that though it looked fresh enough on the outside, something terrible had taken root in the core of it. As I twisted with triumph and abandon, bringing a half close to my face, I would see that somehow about fourteen earwigs had been born in the seed, and I had twisted open their dwelling. The fruit was black inside. Earwigs were writhing, falling out, clinging to it. Seeing decay and abundance so juxtaposed I dropped it began to scream as loud as I could. It's an image that stuck with me, and my toes are curling under my desk just thinking of it.

If you think you are getting Xbox Live when you play an EA game on the Xbox, what you are actually getting is the veneer of Xbox Live wrapped around the black and infested core of EA's substandard service. It starts by connecting you to Live, yes, at which point you are shunted into EA's sinister realm of torment.

For the longest time, my Friends List wouldn't come up. If you've been on Live awhile, you rely on that list the same way you would the basic server browser in a PC game. It's that fundamental. It's a top level culling mechanism that lets me know at least one other person in the game I'm about to join isn't a Goddamn reject. Since my friends list was empty, it seemed to me that maybe EA wanted me to completely rebuild my Friends list manually, or perhaps build it out of names they had on their own service. It seemed like a pain in the ass, but I thought that the first step - choosing a lobby specific to a global region, alien to Live - was pretty stupid too, and I acquiesced.

Searching for Gabe, it crashed my console.

I restarted, and this time the Friends list came up. Good. There's a text mail from a friend of mine, no support for 3.0 Voice Mail, but I don't mind typing in a little message with the controller. It then tells me the message was not sent. Not much I can do about it now, I guess. I head out to the lobby and look for games. I get another notice saying the mail was sent, which, I mean, that's awesome I guess. I try to join his game, and get an Unknown Host dialog. About this time, I get an Invite from Gabe. I try accepting it, and after eight failed attempts and no response form the UI telling me what happened I decide to join manually from the list. The game is full, but Gabe turns them out on their ear and I manually join the next one.

**** like this happens every time I go in there. You never really know if it's going to kick you out after a match or keep you in the lobby. If somebody does get kicked, there's no message identifying it, and everybody just sits there for a while.

Once you get into a game, and provided it doesn't kick you out even if you are the host, it's about as much fun as you can have online - and I know that's high praise. Aside from not being able to save and trade your best crashes (which is a tragedy of epic proportions), the only regrettable thing about Burnout 3 really is EA's perverse multiplayer scheme. That it is worth enduring their fragmented, nonsensical approach to player matching is a testament to its craft and precision.

(CW)TB out.

sums it up quite nicely, i think :D

AlphaRaptor
09-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Soundwise, the only complaint is that annoying DJ Radio Station Guy. What the hell is he doing in Burnout? This isn't SSX.
Well they made it so you can shut him up if ya want. :)

ShannonX
09-13-2004, 09:10 PM
solo game = awesome.

online play = a blast.

online implementation = the worst ****up i've seen since mechassult. I swear this is the sorriest excuse for an online experience that i've seen in a very long time.

WynnFire
09-14-2004, 03:00 AM
Yay, I can go back hating EA again. I guess I won't be getting this game for a while. I just hope they don't have these problems for Battlefield Modern Combat.

mattgame
09-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Actually, seeing as how EA Sports has been shafting MS and XBox gamers for years... why would not supporting EA be a 'sin' as an xbox owner? I can see not supporting EA as a sin if you're a PS2 owner, seeing as how EA has carried that pile of crap to the high throne it enjoys.

And with that glorious and wise insight I welcome you to XBA! I agree with you 110 percent. :cheers:

Viper87227
09-14-2004, 11:31 PM
bah...if you think it bothers EA that you didnt buy there game....think again. They have money, lots of it, they dont have to care what you want...more imporrantly, just coz the game is EA doesnt mean it's bad, so if you want to be petty and not support EA, its your loss, not theres