PDA

View Full Version : Backward Compatible Petition Reaches 21,000 Signatures

Shadow20002
09-09-2004, 10:37 AM
A privately started online petition to convince Microsoft for the need of backwards compatibility in its next generation Xbox is quickly growing in popularity. More than 21,000 Internet users already have signed the petition.

The online petition started a while back to try to swing Microsoft to make the Xbox Next with the compatible with the current Xbox generation. According to Andreas Setterlind, initiator of the petition, the coming Xbox generation would not even allow software emulation of current Xbox games because of certain hardware limitations.

Microsoft so far has not publicly announced any strategies or functionalities of its Xbox Next, which is expected to hit the market sometime in 2005. The company currently sticks to its policy that it does not comment on "rumors".

Source@ (http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040907_101432.html)

Duke
09-09-2004, 11:25 AM
And yet I still couldn't care less. I will still have my xbox, but it will probably see very little action. I'm not in a rush for xbox 2, but when it does come I doubt I'll want to play BA or barbie on it. It's all about the new stuff.

Ghost
09-09-2004, 12:53 PM
it is now up to 24109 Signatures Total with my sig

dances with broom sticks
09-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Im with duke... I don't see such a huge need for it. SNES wasnt backwards compatible, neither was N64 (unless you count that add on thig you could buy, but I forget what system that was for).

Who is really going to need to play any of the older games? Im sure something better will come along and you can always hook back up your xbox to play halo.

It would be a nice option, but I can see it as limiting the xbox 2 more than helping it (having to use compatable tech or something to accomidate this option)

Brutus
09-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Wow. Thanks for spotting that one. I hope we don't lose all of this current Software that we have spent hundreds, Maybe even thousands on. I mean: New Controllers, New Software, New Microphones for Xbox Live & Karaoke, New DDR Pads (My Girlfriend's Xbox; NOT MINE!)
Not to mention the fact that buying a new console is going to clean me out. I'm not going to be able to afford too much after buying it, but if I can put it to good use even after cleaning out any extra cash, I'd love it that much more! Don't F this up M$!

LiquidX
09-09-2004, 02:48 PM
I will still have my Xbox and I couldnt care less about backwards compatability. But if Sony does it so should MS. If they dont Sony (and all the PS fanboys) can say "Yeah well it can play all the old games." Even though I dont care it is a valid argument for some people.

LynxFX
09-09-2004, 04:01 PM
I've said this before everytime this issue has been brought up so I'll say it again. If putting in backwards compatibility means sacrificing the potential the new xbox hardware will have I say don't even blink an eye at BC. That appears to be the case with the core hardware changes.

The only people that will benefit from this would be gamers that do not have an Xbox now and can jump in and play what they've been missing. For those of us that already have an Xbox it does nothing but give 6" of shelf space back. Don't know about the rest of you but I don't live in a cardboard box. I have enough space to have 2 consoles actually sit in the same room.

Highlite23
09-09-2004, 04:13 PM
I gotta agree with Lynx, besides if you want to play the old games and don't have an original Xbox, chances are the original will go the under $100 route when X2 hits the shelves.

Well worth it if you missed the ole black and green the 1st time around.

Rhiannon
09-09-2004, 07:20 PM
I thought it would be an impossibility since the new Xboxes will contain ATI chips and these ones have NVidia. Who wants to mess with emulators....they are a pain.

l Maximus l
09-09-2004, 08:36 PM
The way I see it is I already have an XBox. I'll likely not even pick up XBox Next at launch anyway...I'll be still busy playing Halo 2 on XBL. Until Halo 3 comes out, or some other amazing game, I won't even pick up XBox Next.

The way I see it is, I already own an XBox...who cares if XBox Next is backwards compatible or not. If I'm going to buy the new system, I want to play the new games, not play the old and out of date ones.

LynxFX
09-09-2004, 11:20 PM
I thought it would be an impossibility since the new Xboxes will contain ATI chips and these ones have NVidia.
That's not the problem. The graphics architecture will be fairly similar to what we have now in the Xbox and pretty much just like what we are now getting on the PC with this generation of graphics cards. Making that backwards compatible would be a slamdunk. The problem is the completely different cpu architecture. Not saying it can't be done, but the degree of difficulty and potential problems or hic ups goes up.

CMX Jedi
09-09-2004, 11:28 PM
if the new xbox can play halo 2 ill be happy

TOTTEN
09-09-2004, 11:33 PM
if the new xbox can play halo 2 ill be happy
If halo 3 isnt ready at launch they should make a halo 2.5 just to hold us off.

Chr0nik
09-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Unless the majority of those signatures are Asian, MS will not give a rats ass.

They seem to bend over backwards to please the Asian market.

CMX Jedi
09-10-2004, 12:01 AM
Unless the majority of those signatures are Asian, MS will not give a rats ass.

They seem to bend over backwards to please the Asian market.
yep
who cares about the USA..........and canada

Huckleberry
09-10-2004, 02:26 PM
wow...i wish i could tell you how many times i've tossed a ps game into my ps2. uh...never. as much as i love my xbox games now, they'll go the way of my dreamcast games, my n64 games, playstation, ps2, and all of the other 8 old systems that i own. they'll be trotted out when i have my buds over for nostalgic gaming night. it's not like i even play the old xbox games. i haven't touched ssx 1,2, or 3, kotor, madden 04, burnout 1 or 2...they just sit once the new games come in.

i'm with lynx and the rest of you on this. build the nextbox so i forget there was an xbox. i want to see the next generation, not play this generation on the new system.

Brutus
09-10-2004, 03:42 PM
wow...i wish i could tell you how many times i've tossed a ps game into my ps2. uh...never. as much as i love my xbox games now, they'll go the way of my dreamcast games, my n64 games, playstation, ps2, and all of the other 8 old systems that i own. they'll be trotted out when i have my buds over for nostalgic gaming night. it's not like i even play the old xbox games. i haven't touched ssx 1,2, or 3, kotor, madden 04, burnout 1 or 2...they just sit once the new games come in.

i'm with lynx and the rest of you on this. build the nextbox so i forget there was an xbox. i want to see the next generation, not play this generation on the new system.
Good point, man. But I raise the question: What about all types of crap like Karaoke, your LIVE account (Do you want 2 LIVE accounts?), & do you really think you're going to forget about HALO 2 that soon? I mean, HALO Combat Evolved is still one of the most played games I own & it's almost 3 years old. I'd hate to have to choose between console space & my current software, & all that Karaoke Microphone stuff.
I don't know. It's good for about the first year, then we'll be itching for those things in the "New" Column, you know?
But, they keep talking about the KILLER launch titles. How's Brute Force II sound?! I don't know for sure, but Digital Anvil is Launching along with the Xenon.

Whisper
09-10-2004, 10:47 PM

I have spent hundreds of dollars on games to this point, and will spend much more in the coming months. With very popular games such as Fable, Halo 2, Forza etc, coming out in the near future. It is imparative we have backwards compatability. As we get closer to XBOX 2, buying games for XBOX 1 will become harder to justify.. what is the point of buying a popular game when the new system comes out 2 months later? I'm sorry to say if the next XBOX cannot play the original games, I will be retiring as a console gamer. I just won't have the money to put into it anymore once real life becomes more and more important and takes up more of my time and money.

LynxFX
09-10-2004, 11:23 PM
I'm sorry to say if the next XBOX cannot play the original games, I will be retiring as a console gamer. I just won't have the money to put into it anymore once real life becomes more and more important and takes up more of my time and money.
It sounds like those issues are completely unrelated. Whether the next Xbox is backwards compatible or not won't give you more money or time. It is almost as if you are saying that you would buy the Xbox2 just to play your old games that you already have and throw away your original xbox.

What's the deal Whisper? :)

LTM360
09-10-2004, 11:35 PM
The way I see it is I already have an XBox. I'll likely not even pick up XBox Next at launch anyway...I'll be still busy playing Halo 2 on XBL. Until Halo 3 comes out, or some other amazing game, I won't even pick up XBox Next.

The way I see it is, I already own an XBox...who cares if XBox Next is backwards compatible or not. If I'm going to buy the new system, I want to play the new games, not play the old and out of date ones.

Max pretty much said my whole opinion.

Huckleberry makes a good point too, I've put in a PSOne game in my PS2 probably twice, just because I was too lazy to put my PSOne Mem. card into my actual PSOne. :)

I've still got the regular playstation, and the PS2 is sitting right next to it.. likely how Xbox 2 will be, but as Max said.. I won't be caught dead paying the rumored $500 for a console. I'll stick with my 30+ games on Xbox 1 thank you very much.

Brutus
09-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Man, You guys are whack! What about the PC Nextbox. If we want it that badly, they're going to make it readily available. If it's not, they'll can it.
You guy's have heard of the PC Next box, no?
Next is the fact of how they may re-introduce stellar games like HALO's 1 & 2 on one disk for the next console. It's something they're thinking over.
But all in all, no matter how cool the next Unreal Championship looks on my HDTV, It's not going to be quite good enough if it's not anything to do with anything like the story of HALO or the replayablitlity of Fable. (even though, no consumer has beaten it yet, I know I'm probably going to become a wizard, a barbarian & thief at least!)
But yeah, I see people do that all the time. My old brother keeps his Sega Genesis snug in a cabinet on his entertainment center. I'd do the same with at least one of my Xbox's. I'm just saying, if they want me to buy it right away, they'd better promise me something more than Unreal.
How about DOA4! HALO 3! Man, who am I kidding. NFL Fever '05 on Xenon is going to be so sweet. So is every other game that launches. But it's not going to be quite as immersive as some of the third & fourth generation Xbox games, you know.
Unless of course, Bungie Launches. (Bungie's Halo is simply a masterpiece. It still log's more time at my LAN in my house than any other game) I don't see it happening though. You know. I haven't heard anything. So, it would make me a happier guy to see these 3rd & 4th Gen Games able to play on a shiny new console, yes.