PDA

View Full Version : Magazines.

SoundX
09-11-2004, 04:35 PM
I was clearing out my room today to paint it and stuff and realised just how many Xbox, GBA and Gamecube magazines I have. Well over 300 magazines just lying around, only read once and then forgoten about. I found some old school snes magazines and PC Zones from 4/5 years ago.

I have 30 issues of OXM, which are £6 that works out to be £180 of one series alone. That works out to be the same price as six video games. Which is really really dumb considering the main purpose of them is to show me what new games I want ect.

Working things out, I have atleast £800 worth of mags in my bedroom. And they've all never been read more than once.

So today marks the day I go IGN and save a whole lot of money on mags.

I was wondering what most people do, use the net, by a mag everynow and then, ect. Your ops.

LiquidX
09-11-2004, 04:43 PM
I base what I buy on genres I like and the opinions of people on XBA.

I do however think that gaming magazines with demo disks are a good idea. You get a taste of the game before you decide on if you want to buy it. There are many overhyped games that I would have loved to see how bad they were before dropping $50 on them the first day because the magazines said "WOW... its 3rd person Halo" or "HOLY CRAP A MATRIX VIDEO GAME".

No Fear 23
09-11-2004, 05:22 PM
I get XBN and OXM. thats all

Yankeez
09-11-2004, 05:25 PM
I get XBN and OXM. thats all

same here but if you look onlien they offer 1- year free subs all the time, thats why ive never paid for any magazine :D

MixMasta
09-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Yea, I do not pay for any mags anymore. Free Subs or NO sub.

And newstands are a rip! I'll go to Borders, read the mag, then leave.

The internet really has removed the purpose for buying mags.

Shadow20002
09-12-2004, 12:02 AM
Well.. i have place that i can read every magazine, including new ones.

Reclaimer
09-12-2004, 12:28 AM
I've got the 2 year free sub for XBN. I'm starting to not like them, but that's the only sub I have going.
Normally I just go to Barnes and Noble and grab a stack of gaming magazines and go to the kids section with my son. My son plays with that wooden toy train table the store has, I read up the mags and drink coffee.
When we're done, I just stuff the mags somewhere and nonchalantly walk out with my son.

Snowblind
09-12-2004, 04:16 AM
OXM.

I found like 28 old Nintendo Power issues(back when I worshiped NG4 and didn't have the internet)under my bed like 3 weeks ago.

Snowblind
09-12-2004, 04:21 AM
EDIT: Damn, double post. I am t3h suck.

CarGuy
09-12-2004, 10:07 AM
I read them at the store and that's it. I get GMR because I wanted the EB discount..
:confused:

Rhiannon
09-12-2004, 03:59 PM
I subscribe to Game Informer (because of gamestop) and Horse Illustrated lol and thats it.

Reclaimer
09-12-2004, 05:02 PM
I subscribe to Game Informer (because of gamestop) and Horse Illustrated lol and thats it.

Horse Illustrated? I'd hate to see the annual swimsuit edition.

Rhiannon
09-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Lmao yeah me too. I take it no one else here has horses? :: looks around and heres crickets chirping :: Well if you did, you would fing the zine informative.

Reclaimer
09-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Lmao yeah me too. I take it no one else here has horses? :: looks around and heres crickets chirping :: Well if you did, you would fing the zine informative.

My ex-girlfriend was a rodeo barrel racer. When I first met here and she told me that, I asked her how fast the barrels went.
Apparently, that's not the case and she just laughed at me. (It's like a slalom course)

Anyway, she owned her horse and it something called a Arabian quarter-horse. It was black, and fast as all hell. Of course, the horse hated me for some reason and was dead set on kicking and biting at me whenever possible.
I got pretty good at riding it, but I think it eventually figures out it was me and then tries to throw me. Let me tell you something.. falling of a horse.... hurts. Bad.
There's still a crater in her dad's ranch where I got bailed while the horse was cruising.

Anyway, that's my horse story.
On a side note, I had no idea how much a horse farts when it runs.

Sigma
09-13-2004, 12:08 AM
I have a ton of magazines (litterally hundreds). I subscribe to EGM, Nintendo Power (Just did it for the Zelda Collectors Edition disc last year), and I take the latest issue of Game Informer home from the Gamestop I work at every month. I used to subscribe to PSM, Sega Vision, Dreamcast Magazine, Gamers Republic, Tips and Tricks, Gamepro, and probably a few others in my liftetime. Only magazines I will continue to get is EGM and Game Informer (because it's free). I have thought about getting a subscription to OXM though.

GuiltySpark
09-13-2004, 12:50 AM
Wow, I have so many magazine subcriptions that it's not funny. I have cancelled some because I get too many. All free of course. Or dirt cheap. My favorite magazine is Wired. It has great science news. Best. Mag. Ever. Gaming mags? I get EGM, XBN, PC Gamer, CGW, and I used to get Game Informer. Others? I get Backpacker, Sync, and MacWorld. Then I get a few obscure weekly magazines that I don't read, I use them as fire fuel. Good times....

Cold_As_Ice
09-13-2004, 10:17 AM
You can find 95% of all current gaming information on the internet, if you know where to search.

FB-Gollum
09-13-2004, 08:40 PM
I buy OXM now and then. The only reason I do is for the demo disc. Frankly, Cold as Ice is right on; If you're buying mags for info, then you must not have internet. Having an easily accesible hard copy of some media is nice as well, but primarily, I find the demo's to be my big motivator in purchasing a mag.

I also have like every issue of nintendo power ever from the inception of the NES through to the death of the SNES.

mattgame
09-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Sounds like you need to clean your room more often. At least once per decade. Damn.

LTM360
09-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Got around 200 magazines, of Game Informer, Nintendo Power, GamePro (free), Electronic Gaming Monthly (free), GMR, Sports Illustrated, XBN (free), and more, I havn't payed for a mag. sub for 2 years now. Thanks Yankeez! :)

mattgame
09-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Got around 200 magazines, of Game Informer, Nintendo Power, GamePro (free), Electronic Gaming Monthly (free), GMR, Sports Illustrated, XBN (free), and more, I havn't payed for a mag. sub for 2 years now. Thanks Yankeez! :)

See above post. :whistle:

Reclaimer
09-15-2004, 04:35 AM
Honestly I don't know why I even read XBN. It used to be cool, like sort of the anti-OXM. I didn't pay for it, Yankeez hooked me up with the 2 year sub. But the mag is kind of pointless because it comes out every 2 months. Everything in it is essentially old. Videogame news comes out by the minute and I don't want to read about something that happened awhile ago, or predictions about something that comes out between XBN releases. Trusted internet sources.. ahem, XBA is the best place for news in my opinion.
I guess some articles are OK, but like this month's XBN finally talks about the I love bee's thing for the first time and it's all old news. The big Halo 2 article.. old news. Pictures... old news.
Oh well, I got what I paid for.

kenji
09-16-2004, 09:03 PM
I get OXM because the reviews are fairly accurate and the demo disk usually get a really good preview of the game. OXM is the only magazine I've ever subscribed to.