PDA

View Full Version : Why won't my Samsung drive play CD-R's?

Soundscape
09-12-2004, 04:28 PM
i got a new xbox last night. when i got home i was glad to see the two holes in the dvd drive tray(i do have a samsung drive, right?). i went to copy some music from some cd-r's that i have, but i kept getting the message that the xbox didn't recognize the disk. i thought samsung drives were able to read cd-r's. :confused:

AlphaRaptor
09-12-2004, 08:30 PM
I thought MS ddidn't allow it period?

Soundscape
09-12-2004, 08:33 PM
i'm using sony cd-r's btw, if it matters....mp3 and mav files.

ramprider0
09-13-2004, 01:51 AM
It depends on the speed that you burn them at and what kind of disc's your using. Try using a friends CDRW drive it might work then. Oh BTW you can try using CDRW disc's cause my Samsung drive reads 'em as well as CDR's.

Hermes
09-13-2004, 05:09 AM
i'm using sony cd-r's btw, if it matters....mp3 and mav files.

Well for starters, the xbox will not play mp3 files. And wav files need to be on a finalized cd with a lead in and lead out.

severd hed
09-13-2004, 11:45 AM
yeah..it cant play MP3s(without a chip) you have to burn it as an audio CD, and it has to be finalized. I havent tried regular CDRs in either of my xbox (both with samsung drives) with the default OS. I am able to play MP3 files from CDR using XBMC on my "special" xbox, so i would think it would read audio CDs on CDR. (i'll try it tonight)

Soundscape
09-13-2004, 01:05 PM
thanks for the help, guys.

well, i've been using sonic recordnow to burn my cd's. i pick the 'make an audio cd for home or car sterio' selection and choose the songs i want to burn to the disc and it does the rest. it always finalizes the disk. maybe it's the brand of cd-r's i'm using.

severd hed
09-13-2004, 01:18 PM
it could be the brand of discs..it's hard to say. i never heard of that burning software though..but that shouldnt make too much of a difference
i always use either nero or alcohol 120%

Soundscape
09-13-2004, 01:25 PM
yeah, i just dl'ed nero, so i might give it a try. the sonic recordnow thing was already installed on my desktop when i got it, so i've just been using that. it does copy the songs as an audio cd and finalize the disk, though.

doublee966
06-02-2005, 07:47 PM
i have the same porblem too. i have just gotten a new xbox too. what you could do is get a new drive or just buy cd-rw's. because the drive that comes standard with xbox cant read cd-r's

Shadow20002
06-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Try to burn them at 2x or 4x......