PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Console Ever...

FB-Gollum
09-13-2004, 08:47 PM
I figured with the last round of Apps for this generation of consoles coming, and the release of the new round in the coming year, it might be worth a glance backwards to see how they stack up. Please post your reasons for choosing as well (eg. best controller, particular game you loved etc) if you so choose. Also, if I forgot a console you think deserved to be mentioned please let me know...

I've left a few out that some might want to see because I only have 10 choices. Sorry, no Turbografx 16, Jaguar, Neo-Geo, DreamCast or ColecoVision.

SPARTAN VI
09-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Is this supposed to be a poll? :confused:

FB-Gollum
09-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Uh...yeah.

Kraft
09-13-2004, 10:48 PM
Im sorry... dreamcast isn't in the list? I think I've given that console more playtime than any other console I've owned.

No Fear 23
09-13-2004, 10:53 PM
xbox of course

Angell
09-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Its hard to top the fun of duck hunt on the NES, but for overall play value, I have gotten more out of my Xbox than anything else.

Probably because of the age of my friends, and their final realization to the world of video games is the only way to go.

But yea, I will always remember my originals like the NES, but xbox is gettn' the vote :)

Kraft
09-13-2004, 11:15 PM
Its hard to top the fun of duck hunt on the NES

Duck Hunt was fun until I figured out if you hold something really shiny directly in front of the gun that the ducks died no matter what. After that discovery the game lost its entertainment value as I could get up to level uber+1 without doing anything. Now super dodgeball... THAT game was awesome.

revernd
09-13-2004, 11:30 PM
no dreamcast is a disappointment.

AlBoogy
09-13-2004, 11:35 PM
Yeah, whats up with no DC? Easily my fave of all time.

SPARTAN VI
09-13-2004, 11:41 PM
Ahh there it is. I don't know if you forgot to put the poll in or not, but now I can see it. :cheers:

Kraft
09-13-2004, 11:47 PM
no dreamcast is a disappointment.

dreamcast was a finanical disappointment. Despite this fact DC happened to have some of the best looking and best playing games of it's time. When PS was cranking out low polygon knockoffs of its tekken series, DC was bringing near-perfect Soul Caliber to players at home.

RockTheCasba
09-13-2004, 11:53 PM
nes nuff said

Reclaimer
09-14-2004, 12:01 AM
You should have dropped the Intellivision option for the DreamCast.

FB-Gollum
09-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Well, I think pioneers like Intellivision were more important than also rans like dreamcast. Dreamcast never made an impact. It had painfully few titles. It also suffered (from my perspective anyway) from the worst controller ever. However, I respect the love for the dreamcast, the titles it had were awesome.

Ghost
09-14-2004, 12:14 AM
lol the DC woulda PWNED ALL!

Kraft
09-14-2004, 12:20 AM
I agree. Did you know there is STILL an underground community to this day that makes and releases games for the DC? My DC collection is about 4 times that of my Xbox collection as well. While the DC might not have as many games as the Xbox, the Xbox doesn't have as many as the PS2. Want to measture the Xbox's success based on that?

X-Factor
09-14-2004, 02:13 AM
SNES all the way! :cool:

BTW, why aren't Dreamcast and GameCube options??!!

Peepers
09-14-2004, 02:30 AM
Xbox. For one simple reason: Xbox Live.

X-Factor
09-14-2004, 02:42 AM
Well, I think pioneers like Intellivision were more important than also rans like dreamcast. Dreamcast never made an impact. It had painfully few titles. It also suffered (from my perspective anyway) from the worst controller ever. However, I respect the love for the dreamcast, the titles it had were awesome.Yeah, and the fact that they put out the atrocities Sega CD, 32X, and Saturn prior to DC's release. Like it or not: Sega dug their own grave before Dreamcast even launched.

Peepers
09-14-2004, 02:46 AM
Yeah, and the fact that they put out the atrocities Sega CD, 32X, and Saturn prior to DC's release. Like it or not: Sega dug their own grave before Dreamcast even launched.

Unfortunately, that's true.

Kraft
09-14-2004, 02:48 AM
Whether or not they dug their own grave is irrelevant. DC brought forth many astounding ideas that were revoluationary for their time. Online gameplay, analog controls, 3d processing crazy far ahead of it's time, a button setup that was so good MS practically copied it for the xbox... All innovative things noone had done.

You say 'greatest console of all times' but you seem to actually be asking for 'most popular console of all time'. As far greatest, my votes go towards Commodore64, NES and DC.

Flood
09-14-2004, 03:11 AM
Kraft informed me that there was DC bashing so i came here as quick as i could.

ever since i got my dreamcast a couple years ago, my life has gotten better. i wasn't into video games at the time when it was around, but that doesnt matter because its legacy still lives on. lets take a look at the finer points of the Dreamcast in list form:

1.First system to have a built in modem for playing games online and browsing the internet...paved the way for xbox live...and whats cooler than browsing the internet on a video game system??

2.able to play burned games right out of the box. now this may have been the finacial downfall of the dreamcast, but it allows its games to be widely distributed and enjoyed 100 times more, plus which brings us to number 3..

3. DC homebrew and emulation games! there is such a strong support for porting PC games like Doom, Duke Nukem, Heretic, Rise of the Triad, etc.. to the DC. plus there are very well done emulators for every early system

4.Shenmue 2 was on the DC before Xbox..and Xbox would have never seen Jet Set Radio Future if it wasnt for DC as well..same with Soul Calibur

5. DC is THE fighting game system. Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Guilty Gear, Power Stone 1 and 2, all the Street Figher games, i have 14 fighting games for the DC...and i know theres a bunch im missing

6. i believe the DC is the first controller to have dual triggers

i could think of more(probably will tomorrow) but thats all i can right now as i am tired...but you get the jist of it...DC rules, and shouldnt be shunned off because it didnt last long....because it still lives on in some peoples hearts

Flood
09-14-2004, 03:13 AM
*edit...accidently double posted...sorry...delete this*

X-Factor
09-14-2004, 03:46 AM
6. i believe the DC is the first controller to have dual triggersSNES had dual shoulder buttons. If by 'triggers' you mean pressure sensitive shoulder buttons, then you are correct.

Kortiz
09-14-2004, 04:10 AM
The Dreamcast was the first console that came to mind.

When it comes down to it, though -- the best console I've ever owned has been the Xbox. Dreamcast should still be thriving, but we all know why it isn't.

In fact, I need to buy some DC games, even though I haven't played a game on it in a good while.

Xbox has received the most playtime that I've ever put into a gaming system. More the fact that I have money to purchase games, but also because of XBL. Since I got XBL I've been online damn near every night for close to a year. There was a period where I did stop playing for awhile -- but you need a break every now and then.

ESPN NFL 2k5 with the online leagues -- pwns me to death...and I love it....TO DEATH!!!!

Fable in stores tomorrow? - I need to find a way to get that game. Trading in several to get it now.

Crimson Skies, Splinter Cell:Pandora Tomorrow, Sega GT Online, Sega GT 2002....probably Rainbow Six 3.....ESPN NFL 2k4.... I'll probably still end up paying 30bucks for the game...we'll see.

Anyway, back on topic -- Dreamcast deserves to be high on that list...with Xbox a definite first -- I have never been so involved with anything online other than Everquest -- and those of you who have played that game - know it ruined your life for at least a year if not more. I literally spent close to 200days of online gameplay in that game over the span of 2 years. Xbox has the same addiction, but it hasn't ruined my social life.

Anyway -- Xbox, of course, but damn you to hell for not adding Dreamcast. Soul Calibur, Shenmue, hell....even Sega GT was impressive. Sooo soo soo many others rocked that console hard. Marketing is a biabia -- it stinks AND I HATE IT

FB-Gollum
09-14-2004, 07:51 AM
Whether or not they dug their own grave is irrelevant. DC brought forth many astounding ideas that were revoluationary for their time. Online gameplay, analog controls, 3d processing crazy far ahead of it's time, a button setup that was so good MS practically copied it for the xbox... All innovative things noone had done.

You say 'greatest console of all times' but you seem to actually be asking for 'most popular console of all time'. As far greatest, my votes go towards Commodore64, NES and DC.

Yeah...and so did Neo Geo, and TurboGrafx 16 was a cd system long before nintendo and sega and sony and microsoft even dreamed of it.

Besides...define "greatest" then? Certainly popularity has to play a part in this. What did the console do to affect video game culture? Technological advancement is only a part of the question. I guess DC has something to say there, but there have been tons of systems that were ahead of their time, like said Neo-Geo which arguably had the biggest gap between it and the other consoles of it's time.

I just feel with the spectacular flop that DC was it's hard to put it in league with the other systems.

Another big question is software. DC's catalogue cannot compete with most of the other consoles listed. I mean, look at the NES line-up: Mario, Final Fanatsy, Metroid, Contra, Gradius, (the list could go on forever) so many HUGE titles. So many titles that have created lasting and popular franchises that we still adore today. DC has nothing to compete with that.

Furthermore, if we're going to go with the "Technology ahead of it's time" argument, then Xbox wins. It has the best and most innovative online service ever, it has the first hard-drive and by far the most power under the hood graphically of any console ever.

It's not a popularity contest, but popularity is an unavoidable aspect of "greatness".

Oh yeah, and if DC's "button layout was so good that MS copied it" then why did we get the Controller S? You know, the one that replaced the much maligned Duke?

Face it, DC "coulda been a contender", but it wasn't, isn't and sadly has now been eclipsed by advancing technology.

PS. Commodore 64 isn't a console, it's a "PC". But yeah, Fort Apocalypse, Archon...oo yeah, that system had some killer titles.

Shadow20002
09-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Hmm...surely Xbox.

severd hed
09-14-2004, 08:36 AM
dreamcast should have been on the list. im having a difficult time deciding between the dreamcast, xbox, and the snes though. i love all of them. i've probably clocked more time with dreamcast than any other system though.

if we are counting modded consoles, then xbox would win..just because of all the things you can do with it...but in their stock conditions..i'd say dreamcast takes 1st

Flood
09-14-2004, 03:26 PM
SNES had dual shoulder buttons. If by 'triggers' you mean pressure sensitive shoulder buttons, then you are correct.

shoulder buttons and triggers are 2 different things

snes and ps2 have shoulder buttons

dreamcast, xbox, and N64 have triggers...N64 was the first to have a single trigger...DC had the first dual trigger controller

severd hed
09-14-2004, 06:32 PM
actually the saturn 3d controller had dual analog triggers...so that would make it the first

Chr0nik
09-14-2004, 06:38 PM
I would have to say the NES is the all time greatest console. I grew up playing classics like Duckhunt, Mario, Zelda, Superbike, etc. I think the NES was the console that brought home gaming to the mainstream.

My personal favorite though would be the Sega Genesis. In my opinion, it was a great console because it revolutionized the hockey game. We went from playing Ice Hockey and Blades of steel, to the awesome EA NHL franchise.

Flood
09-14-2004, 07:02 PM
actually the saturn 3d controller had dual analog triggers...so that would make it the first

bah...DC is still better

Reclaimer
09-14-2004, 07:34 PM
I want to say the Atari 2600 is the greatest simply because it brought videogames home. Sure, you had the Intellivision, Colecovision, Odysee and the Vectrix. But during the first great era of consoles, one stood the test of time and spawned several new versions until a little company called Nintendo came along, followed by Sega.

But.. back in the day, us old people now used to be kids going to the arcade, eating pizza and playing games like Red Barron, Battlezone, Asteroids and Space Invaders. Our minds where blown when color graphics where introduced, Missle Command anybody? Arcade palors where all the rage. Years went by as us kids watched the evolution of arcade games come down at a dizzying pace.

See.. 90% of you people here missed out on the early days of gaming. The same group of you never saw the begining of consoles, the birth of the revolution. You guys where born into the dawn of Nintendo and Sega. You guys think Sony ruled the earth when it comes to video games.

Well, you missed out. You missed the revolution and now everyone reaps the benefits of what happened 25 years ago.

The Atari VCS 2600 came out. Quality color videogames with color have finally arrived to your home. It was based around the 6507 micro-processor, had 4k of ROM max and 128 bytes of RAM to keep track of scores etc. It had three sound channels that it put out in glorious mono. Its CPU clock speed was 1.19 MHz.
The Xbox runs at 733MHz, the Atari ran at 1MHZ.

That was the begining of it all. Ever played the original Chess on Atari? The screen blanked out for sometimes hours as the Atari "thought" about it's next move.

You haven't lived until you played Combat, with invisible tanks, maximum barriers and ricochet bullets.

Anyway, the console era was born in all it's glory. Therefore.. The Atari 2600 is the best of all times.

severd hed
09-14-2004, 07:47 PM
bah...DC is still better

i agree..i was just stating that the saturn was the first to have dual analog triggers...the dreamcast was definatly better