PDA

View Full Version : Used Xbox

MajorTom
09-15-2004, 02:18 PM
My friend is going to buy a used Xbox because he is too cheap to buy a new one. I told him he had to make sure he gets one with a Samsung drive because the thompson or phillips ones probably won't work. I'm not exactly sure how to know if it's a Samsung drive without opening it. I remember hearing something about opening the disc tray and looking for rings or something on it. Could someone clarify this for me?

Huckleberry
09-15-2004, 02:31 PM
do a search in this forum for samsung drive. there's at least two threads with pictures of the three.

dances with broom sticks
09-15-2004, 02:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Tha_L_Train/post-2-1076536808.jpg

Reclaimer
09-15-2004, 02:37 PM
You know, theres a reason why someone gave up the Xbox.

Used = someone else's problem.

Whizard97
09-15-2004, 03:29 PM
DO NOT BUY USED CONSOLES... !!! They're NOT that much of a stretch to simply buy them.... I have two XBoxs... a HALO Special Edition and my original Launch box... I used my HALO box now and the launch box is unhooked for now...

severd hed
09-15-2004, 04:02 PM
people trade those consoles in for a reason.(usually becuase there is something wrong with it) if it is a factory refurb..then maybe. (if you really cant spend the extra cash) becuase at least if it is a refurb.it has had it's problem fixed and is OKed by the manufacturer.

i bought a refurb ps2 and havent had any problems with it.

CuartoDePuto
09-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Even if you know the drive, buying a used box is a good way to find yourself getting ripped off.

dances with broom sticks
09-15-2004, 04:20 PM
Yea, I dont see much reason in buying a used system... Especially since mine basically died without giving any warning. One week it was working the next it was dead.

Too easy to get screwed

Highlite23
09-16-2004, 07:29 AM
OK, Hold the phone...Used systems come in for numerouse reasons, usually for cash. I can only speek for GS, but you get the same warranty on a used system as you do a new system, 90 days. GS also tests the system before they take them back in, unlike EB which justs takes it as long as it looks in good condition.

For the most part Xboxs are still pretty sound compared to the amount of crapped out PS2's that come through the door.

I've purchased at least 10 used xbox's in the last year or so, a couple for myself and the others for family and friends...no problems with any of them.

PS. A little story that might interest a few, GS also sells refurbished systems, last week a customer bought a refurb and low and behold when we opened it for the serial number it was a Halo Edition box, not too shaby for $130. :)

Rhiannon
09-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Ummm I bought mine used from Gamespot. Guess what the manufacturing date on the bottom is? How about July 2004. Regardless, if it is used or not, it could go wrong at any time. I would like to think that in my anal retentive ways of taking care of things that I will have this Xbox for quite a while. :)

SoundX
09-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Your entitled to be able to inspect the Xbox so to speak, I wouldn't think stores would have a problem turning the power on and checking.

But I wouldn't touch the used market, like everyone has said, their sold for a reason usualy a bad one.

severd hed
09-16-2004, 02:19 PM
i was at EB the other day and someone traded in their PS2 for an xbox..and they hooked it up and told him that it has to boot up and play a game or they wont take it...so at least the eb here does check them(although not very thoroughly)

MajorTom
09-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Yeah. I wouldn't trust a used one. I told him to get a new one but he's too cheap.
Thanks for the picture Broom Sticks.

SoundX
09-16-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm guessing the price of a new system will be cut sooner to christmas, tell him to wait and see what happens.

l Maximus l
09-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Geez...XBoxes are $149.99 now, if my memory holds correct. If that is too much, then, definatley your buddy is cheap.

That's a killer deal for an XBox system...damn.

I bought my for $300 back in the day and I wasn't all poopy pants about it either.

dances with broom sticks
09-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Geez...XBoxes are $149.99 now, if my memory holds correct. If that is too much, then, definatley your buddy is cheap.

That's a killer deal for an XBox system...damn.

I bought my for $300 back in the day and I wasn't all poopy pants about it either.

When I got mine it came to close to 700

Of course Im in canada, and I did get some games and stuff with it. 3 games an extra controller and a dvd remote

l Maximus l
09-18-2004, 07:52 PM
When I got mine it came to close to 700

Of course Im in canada, and I did get some games and stuff with it. 3 games an extra controller and a dvd remote

$700 Canadian exchange?

Isn't that $14.99 American? :D jk

Ninjermy
09-19-2004, 09:56 AM
woah u guys are really against used... i bought mine used with a thompson and ive had mabye 3 or 4 disk errors in the past year ive owned it. btw i paid 290canadian with 2controllers and splintercell last christmas.

CharlieHustle
09-20-2004, 02:26 PM
i see no problem with a used one. Not like its a car. He has a warranty on it, so if a problem arise, then he can take it back. Thats all. I had mine since day 1 thompson drive and all, and i had a few DDE's(most with ninja gaiden) but overall, i have no problem with mine. Its gonna roll til the wheels fall off.