PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Reviews Wanted Plz.. (Wreckless in mind)

beef747
01-27-2002, 03:27 PM
Please supply steering wheel reviews here...

I searched around the forum and a couple other xbox sites for steering wheel reviews but didnt find any of them very helpful.

from what I have read:
1st. Madcatz - Mc2
2nd. Thrustmaster - Nascar
3rd. Interact - Black Thunder ???
(havent seen anything on interact's wheel)

I wanted to get just the right one for when wreckless comes out,
Im sure others are curious as to which ones are the best also :D

Thanks in advance!:)

Frostberg
01-27-2002, 03:38 PM
and that little handheld radica controller...i wish someone would tell me how that little thing works

Bundy
01-27-2002, 03:43 PM
This is also something that I am very interested in.

I have pgr and NASCAR Thunder 2002, but there are about 3 racing type games i plan to get in 2002.

I would like to know if any of the wheels have force feedback.

leecow
01-28-2002, 11:21 AM
I would like to know if any of the wheels have force feedback.

An ever so small amount of research would get this answer for you. Go read the product literature.

I think I've decided on the the Trustmaster over the Madcatz since it can clamp to a tabletop. Other than that the top 3 choices seem comparable and have force feedback.

Bundy
01-28-2002, 11:26 AM
Vibration feedback as stated in the madcatz sales pitch is not force feedback to me. If you have another source please direct me there.

Frostberg
01-28-2002, 04:03 PM
I believe Force Feedback is Microsoft's name for the technology. It might be copyrighted as well, this would be why they have different names.

Toonz
01-28-2002, 05:37 PM
I tried choices 1 and 2 on the list as was not happy with either of them. We need a good steering wheel. My finger gets **** sore playing F1.

Bundy
01-28-2002, 06:18 PM
In the march xbox mag that i recieved today, they said that the nascar wheel is the best one currently available. They also say that they can't wait for the force feedback wheels.

They also said that the pedals are great for racing games, such as nascar and f1, but dont' do much for driving games like gotham.

Far as i know force feedback is not a ms brand.

A good example of force feedback is while in a large turn, there is resistance in the wheel to turn it. But going down a straight away, it is easy to turn the wheel. Wheels with out force feedback turn as easy in a straight away as in a turn. Force feedback adds to the realism.

Vibration feedback is like going over a bumpy road and haveing the wheel vibrate as the controller does.

clintb
01-29-2002, 12:03 PM
Tried the little Radica handheld controller for all of about one day. The response times seemed to lag and their method of steering is one side of the split wheel is basically hinged. The left side pivots around the center, or hub portion. The buttons weren't all that good either.

Didn't like it. Returned for a second genuine MS controller.

Hugh_Jass
01-30-2002, 11:29 AM
That's too bad. The Radica sounded good on paper.

clintb
01-30-2002, 04:30 PM
Yeah, looked good on paper and in pictures, but since they don't describe how it "steers", there's no way to know what to expect.

I was expecting something that might have been based on movement sensors. Probably would have been too expensive though.

Kamshaft
01-30-2002, 04:43 PM
We'll be doing a mini steering wheel review soon.
Between Thrustmaster and Mad Catz....probably next week sometime.
:)