PDA

View Full Version : Is "Fable" the greatest RPG ever?

FB-Gollum
09-16-2004, 10:10 AM
Well, this was the promise, what is the answer?

Chaotic
09-16-2004, 10:16 AM
I Voted the best action rpg ever... It's by far the best one i've ever played...

Shadow20002
09-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Are there 11/10 ? :)

Zelda is no more, Final Fantasy can be burn to ashes......with Fable, RPG evolve.

studepaber
09-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Fable IMO > KOTOR > Morrowind and I have just skimmed the surface of this game. HAve to agree with Chaotic on this one, best action-rpg.

Sheeyt
09-16-2004, 12:32 PM
I just wish it was more open like Morrowind I feel confined in the game.

Chaotic
09-16-2004, 01:13 PM
I just wish it was more open like Morrowind I feel confined in the game.

I know what you mean... I tried to run out to this open water and it blocked me from doing so :whistle: i thought that was pretty gay :confused:

Shadow20002
09-16-2004, 02:08 PM
About water....it's got really my attention.....great effects even made...even more than Morrowind.

Whizard97
09-16-2004, 02:13 PM
I like the fishing in the game... =)

Douchesforfun
09-16-2004, 03:27 PM
my friend is playing it right now, it is the shiznite. but i cant tell if its better than morrowind... not as openended.

CharlieHustle
09-16-2004, 04:24 PM
I would say that its the best action RPG ever. I have only played it for abou 4 hrs. But its fun no doubt. But as far as story tellin and so forth, i still give the edge to KOTOR. This game is addictive though. I have just completed the escourt the traders quest, and the action is tight, youll never be bored in this.

Bakeman
09-16-2004, 04:38 PM
About water....it's got really my attention.....great effects even made...even more than Morrowind.

But did you notice that when you run through a puddle that the ripples will go over the dirt....

Looks weird.. but oh well. I need to start playing. I've barely gotten out of the guild. All I have done is kill this queen hornet and get a hair cut.

Sheeyt
09-16-2004, 04:40 PM
I forget to show my trophies off. Although I did show the bee head to the guys in the picnic area then I beat them to death with it.

Peepers
09-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Fable is OK, but it's nowhere near the best ever. I wouldn't even call it one of the best ever. KOTOR and Morrowind are both infinitely better.

Sheeyt
09-16-2004, 04:52 PM
I think if Fable had the unbelievable freedom of Morrowind as far as where you can venture to it would be a world better. Its a damn good action adventure game though.

FB-Gollum
09-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Fable is OK, but it's nowhere near the best ever. I wouldn't even call it one of the best ever. KOTOR and Morrowind are both infinitely better.

Damnit Peepers, is there ANYTHING YOU LIKE? Ok, firstly, this game cannot be compared to KOTOR or Morrowind, but if you'd like, let's do that, let's compare:

Graphics: Winner - Fable (For Sure, no comparison to the other 2 titles, KOTOR had very bland graphics with horribly repetitive faces, repetitive animations, and though not ugly by any means was certainly a little bland).

Sound: Winner - Fable (The soundtrack alone kills the other two cold, but also the abundance of ambient sounds etc. it's masterful).

Story: Winner - KOTOR (But this is only so far, Fable hasn't been neaten by anyone yet, I'm 11 hours in and the story is starting to get compelling, I doubt it will be as deep as KOTOR, but it is very good).

Gameplay: Winner - Fable (Morrowind's combat is beneath Fable by a mile and KOTOR is turn based so it's really not in the same category. Fable's combat is the next best thing to Ninja Gaiden. Beyond that, the other's have static dialogue trees, there's no way to evolve a relationship with anyone, whereas in Fable you can evolve a relationship with ANYONE).

Originality: Winner - Fable. (Duh).

Freedom: Winner - Fable (Whether you like it or not) (why? Because it allows you to get imaginative, sure you can go more places in Morrowind, but good luck finding a wife, getting laid, buying a house, renting it out, making friends then murdering them. KOTOR was a very linear game in the guise of a freedom. Sure KOTOR had huge worlds to explore (kinda) but most of it was empty geography and really long walks through a whole lot of nothing to get there. I'm just waiting for someone to get REALLY creative and see what they can make the game do. Remeber people, it's "emergent gameply", get crazy and see what you can come up with, it's not a series of menial chores and tricks it's about what you can manipulate).

I'm sorry, Fable is as good as either of those titles. Easily. These are my votes, go ahead and disagree, but if you choose to, at least provide a reason why. I mean, just saying something is "infinitely better" doesn't make it so.

TuffEagle88
09-16-2004, 09:16 PM
I think that fable is the best game of the three, but I miss being able to have a discussion like in KOTOR or Morrowind, but fable beats it almost everywhere else I think. Besides, MW was so damn glitchy once you got more than one house or over level 60 you couldn't play it for 20 seconds without loading, glitching, locking up, or a dde. Maybe not the best ever, but very, very, close IMO. :hail:Fable:hail:

Tony_Macaroni
09-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Yea man Gollum said it! U can't argue that, i mean in MW i never really knew wut i wus supposed to be doing, though the world wus MASSIVE in MW the game never really appealed to me, in fable u can get hair cuts, tattoos,married,drunk,bar fights,u can kick chickens (lol) kick peoples severed heads (yet another lol) u can embed jewels into ur weapons, ur scariness/attractiveness goes up by how u look/what u wear...the graphics and sound are AMAZING, i mean that alone must have taken years. The actualling fighting part, well marrowind it wus...chop....chop....slash. In fable u can parry, deflect, roll, charge into an unblockable attack, pull combos, with combat meaters. ETC. I mean honestly, whats ur defense man. Im sure we all have our own opinion but just like gollum i have to say u need to back ur opinion up a hell of a lot more than 4-5 words of non sense. Come on.

TOTTEN
09-16-2004, 11:47 PM
I voted for the best action rpg ever I like kotor better but this is a close second.

No Fear 23
09-17-2004, 12:02 AM
Originality: Winner - Fable. (Duh).

origionality??? was there a rpg related to fable before that?

FB-Gollum
09-17-2004, 12:51 AM
origionality??? was there a rpg related to fable before that?

Que? As in could you elaborate? I don't understand your point. :huh:

Kortiz
09-17-2004, 05:40 AM
Fable is good, but wouldn't give it a 9+ rating.

Do I think this game is better than KOTOR? No...KOTOR had my enthralled for like a week straight.

I guess my opinion isn't set in stone yet -- I've played this game 6 hours so far and am enjoying it thoroughly. I just don't see myself saying this game is the best rpg I've ever played.

The best rpg I've ever played was Everquest -- but that's in a whole differen't league of role playing.

Good game -- not as good as I thought it would be. Will probably trade it in to get SW: Battlefield in a week.

Tony_Macaroni
09-17-2004, 07:52 PM
neither do i

David Luckey
09-17-2004, 10:02 PM
My first real experience with an RPG was KotOR. Loved it.
Then, I heard alot of people talking, saying "hey morrowind is the best rpg"
So, I get it, and try it. It was (in my eyes, right when I started) bad. I went from playing Halo/DOA3/KotOR/other games of excellent graphics.
I felt I couldn't get past the textures and such, but I eventually got over it.
I went to Arille's tradehouse and got some basic armor, and I am like 'hey this isn't so bad, you can actually change how well you are protected' and 'wow, look at the wide range of weapons available' I didn't even get into spells until my 2nd character.
I now have 5 characters, all very different, and I have like 300+ hours into that game. (over the span of like a year, mind you)
Fable doesn't feel like morrowind. Not as open ended-you are stuck on the path things, there aren't as many side quests, etc.

But, in my opinion so far, Fable>Morrowind/KotOR
even though you can't be a wide variety of different characters...well, if you think about it-that is what fable is based on. Your character starts the same nomatter who you are or who you play. He changes as you go, in a very awesome way.
I am going to be playing fable for a long time, I love it.
I am gonna go play right now ^_^

LTM360
09-17-2004, 10:23 PM

Morrowind Better? No way.
KotOR Better? Yes.

Fable is great, but it's not even in the top 3 best RPG's, that goes to Zelda: Ocarina of Time (yes, OoT slaughters Fable, get over it), Final Fantasy VII, and Chrono Trigger. Sorry Fable, but you didn't live up to your own built up hype.

Fable is worth $50 though, but if you don't have Knights of the Old Republic, go get that first, it's better.

TuffEagle88
09-18-2004, 09:25 PM
the only real complaints I have about Fable is that you can't explore beyond the roads and beaten paths, I hate the lock on system in it I can barely tell who I'm locked on too, if they are a friend or enemy, the only use for it is spells, which half of the time I hit an innocent if there are other people around, thats pretty much it, the graphics are good, not as good as what I was thinking, but I was probably not being realistic, and I'm playing on a normal LCD tv also. I would say that OoT probably is about the same as Fable with KOTR a full step behind. I didn't like that in the end your light or darkness points didn't mean anything, it all came down to a yes or no decision. But I think I definately felt more like I WAS the character in KOTOR and MW than in Fable, or OoT, but thats not all that counts in an RPG. I think that it has more to do with although all of them have fantasy/SIFI feel, that Fable and OoT show it more in the graphics and just feel more fantasy, and hence less realistic. But they easily overcome that, if it is a flaw at all, in depth and definately in combat.

No Fear 23
09-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Que? As in could you elaborate? I don't understand your point. :huh:

origionality should not be scored on this game because there was never a "fable" before that as it is the first game.

IE... Originallity should be scored if there was fable 2.

rpgreligion
09-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Firstly and foremost, Fable has raised the bar for RPG developers, and other genre developers alike. Fable has stepped up drastically, and is by far the most innovative role-playing game I have played.

Despite this, it doesn't quite reach that peak of being the greatest RPG ever. I would agree that it is the best action-rpg I have played, although.

If Morrowind shared the lack of bugs and innovative features of Fable, and Fable shared Morrowind's open-endedness and difficulty level; Fable would be the greatest RPG ever without a doubt.

Ninjermy
09-19-2004, 09:37 PM
KOTOR>Fable
its a personal thing though. i enjoyed the HUGE levels, even if it was bland it was realistic, i cant stand walking on the single pathway of fable. fable, the story was to short and i found it lame. u new jack was the end bad guy from the start... the whole prison thing is lame (being raced and listening to poetry) and chasing him to 4 different portals was stupid and pointless. and finally the AI i found was kinda stupid, either the public cheered for you, laughed at you, or were scared of you and then they would repeat the same emotions over and over and over. idk in my opinion the game doesnt live up to KOTOR.

Huckleberry
09-19-2004, 09:45 PM
rpgreligion has it right. fable is the jumping off point for rpg's in the future. there are some amazing innovations in this game. but i don't love it. there's nothing that makes me want to know more about the story of the characters. in fact, i'm not even sure what the story is...ok...that's not true, but it doesn't seem to be much of a story. final fantasy has been what it is because of the story. they've changed battle systems, navigation...everything on almost every iteration of that game, but people keep playing because once you get into the story, you're compelled to the end.

i feel like innovation and invention were such high values on this game that the story got left behind. i've got about 7 hours into it and the thing that's driving me to complete it is seeing how all this stuff works. i think there are things to work out in navigation, as well. i've never felt like i was doing less with more in a game. in ff once i played for a couple of hours i could play the game with my eyes closed. i still have to think about everything i'm doing in this game, outside of the battle system.

all that said, this "engine" is going to raise the bar for the technological side of rpgs. as they master what they've started here, and find someone that can write some characters, rather than just people you control, it's gonna get reeeaaalll good!

DJ Starscream
09-19-2004, 10:32 PM
OMFG!!! Fable kicks A$$! Even though I rented it, I'm buying it the day I take it back to Blockbuster. It's easily in my top 3 favorite games of all time, if not my favorite. I don't care what you say, I didn't like KOTOR as much as I like Fable. KOTOR was nowhere near as original or interesting as Fable was to me. KOTOR was a pretty good RPG, don't get me wrong. But it can't hold a candle to Chrono Cross or Fable.

Tony_Macaroni
09-20-2004, 03:40 PM
i agree !

LTM360
09-20-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm stunned that 1/2 of the voters think Fable is better than Ocarina of Time. Ocarina of Time is a masterpeice, and art... Fable is just... another game.

Mahz
09-22-2004, 05:10 PM
I have a hard time even calling Fable an RPG. Allocating experience and slaying undead does not define the genre - playing a role in the game does. Fable is too linear to supply reasonable diversity. There is absolutely no mental character development. - You cannot talk to people or make personality decisions. The only room for malleability is your decisive, monotonous action. The game, simply, was not deep. Alignment boiled down to your decision to kill or preserve an NPC. Fable is just as much an RPG as the Ocarina of Time is - it ISN'T.

The game started off decently. YOu were told to watch some crates as the man left and promised he would return in a bit. You could either perform a good deed by simply watching the crates, or you could smash and plunder the crates, performing a bad deed. Although this still only scratched the surface of mentality development of your character, the first minutes of the game was the only region you could really coin "RPG," and that's stretching it.

Fable is an action game. You can simply choose who to kill - not everyone is a definite enemy. This is the only real difference between it and other action games of its realm. By the way, shopping for goods can be a way of developing your character and allowing you to be unique, but not when there are ultimate weapons and armor.