PDA

View Full Version : What makes a great game?

SoundX
09-17-2004, 01:59 PM
As in graphics, gameplay, sound elements. Anything like that, in your opinion what makes a great game?

I find that to get really stuck into a game it has to be original or atleast fresh with a well presented and experienced concept. I can't play anything that I know has a sequil in the works with no improvements really being made, like virtualy any EA Sports Game. But hey, lets not start discussing that again.

For me, the main things that matter are gameplay, fluid and smooth no quirky and scippy effects like you see in some fast produced games lately. It also has to have content and quality weighed evenly. I can't and won't finishing off Need for Speed Underground purely because each race is almost identicle to the next one, in the same city, in the night, 111 times. And their are no real exciting elements to keep you going, Burnout 3 Takedown is different because of the variation in each game and surroundings.

It also has to have a wow factor to make me want to buy it, I don't think I will buy Forza Motorsports because it presents no excitment for me. If I was a racing fan it would be different.

I guess the last thing has to be polish, it's fun having a great game, gameplay wise but when the graphics are pumped up, the sheer apreciation and detail around you makes it worth while buying. Seperating it from the crowd, little things.

So overall, for me: Original, Fresh, Great Gameplay and Polish :)

What about everyone else?

Cloud Wolf
09-17-2004, 02:15 PM
Everything I suppose but I played about 3 hours on my dads old snes a couple of days ago.

lotec16
09-17-2004, 03:06 PM
We'll good graphics and physics can make a game much more interesting, I have..... "seen" half-life 2 in action, and "I" was just in a room and it "looked" really fun to shoot things and put barrels and matresses in water.

I think the #1 or 2 important thing is immersive gameplay.

Koopa
09-17-2004, 05:28 PM
a huge component is the balance of power. giving the player a sense of strength, without making it too easy, is very important.

Chr0nik
09-17-2004, 07:10 PM
In no particular order

1. Graphics
2. Gameplay
3. Sound
4. Controls
5. Storyline
6. Replay value
7. Price

batman46st
09-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Depends on the game SPORTS they should be high and flashy able to let u control all aspects of the game like arena, team, deadlines, etc.... pretty much "madden" however if they where to put the ability that nfl 2k5 has man to edit stadium music complete.

RPG= to me the story i dont care how flashy a game may be if the story isnt solid man
that game is shiiiiiisz.

Fighting= "bring bak the classics" my dream is capcom vs snk vs marvel vs mk
can u believe if they did oh my god!!!

LTM360
09-17-2004, 09:27 PM
1. Story
(bet you can't guess I believe story is almost everything...)
2. Gameplay
3. Replay Value
4. Sound
5. Graphics

(this excludes NES, SNES games etc. etc.)

Rhiannon
09-20-2004, 12:28 PM
A good game has to have a good story to hold my attention for any amount of time. Also it has to be fluid and smooth game play, I hate glitches or akward controls. Graphics I can take or leave, as long as the environment is interactive. For instance if something is in my way, I would like the option to blow it up or chop it down. Another thing thats important is character creation. I love haveing creative control in character development and looks. Thats my two cents

edit for typos out the ***

Reclaimer
09-20-2004, 12:45 PM
I don't think graphics are the most important thing that makes a game. There are plenty of games that didn't top the world on graphics, but I'll forever hold dear as my favorite game. For instance Conflict Desert Storm 1 and 2.

I can forgive graphics if I can feel involved in the game. If the game makes me do something different, think differently or approach a situation differently.

I love Kill.Switch because it's intelligent combat. Like in real life, the game revolved around take cover first then fight. It's not just run around and overwhelm enemies by sheer firepower.

Conflict was about team combat and planning.
If I could be involved in other aspects then I can forgive graphics.

Sound is important. I don't care for soundtracks. I'm talking about real sound effects in surround sound. Make me feel like bullets are whizing over my head.

Story is good, but for the games I play, it's not important. For games like Fable I can see the importance, but for Rainbow Six it's not that big of a deal.

Gameplay is the single most important issue overall. Is the game fun? Well then I'm happy.

No Fear 23
09-20-2004, 12:47 PM
my version of what makes a game great.

5. Sound
4. Graphics
3. Replay Value
2. Story
1. Gameplay

basically, the game must be awesome like halo. :p

Chaotic
09-20-2004, 12:50 PM
basically, the game must be awesome like halo. :p

Don't you start now :p

Reclaimer
09-20-2004, 01:17 PM
basically, the game must be awesome like halo.

And thank you Maximus. :)

studepaber
09-20-2004, 01:57 PM
1) boobs
2) guns - sniping/rocket launching
3) gibs
4) carnage
5) chainsaws

That's about it.

FuNkY mOnK
09-20-2004, 07:40 PM
I'll most likely get in trouble for this, but i would like to have sex in my game, real hardcore sex. In a blade runner setting/story.

Rhiannon
09-20-2004, 07:52 PM
I'll most likely get in trouble for this, but i would like to have sex in my game, real hardcore sex. In a blade runner setting/story.

Lmao I knew it was a matter of time before one of you guys stated sex. Someone posted boobs too. rofl

I guess I would like more man flesh in game, couple nudy shots of the heiny would also be nice, but only if he looks like Sam Fisher

rpgreligion
09-20-2004, 08:12 PM
First and foremost, general gameplay. If the game doesn't play well and doesn't have a certain fun factor, then why the hell would I want to play it? An intriguing story comes second. Non-linear gameplay is big with me. I like games that force you to develop a strategy, and have more than one way to overcome an obstacle. Graphics come last. I'll take Super Mario Brothers for the nintendo over Hunter: The Reckoning anyday.

Cyberman
09-21-2004, 07:48 PM
What makes a good game.

1. Storyline
2. Graphics
3. Gameplay
4 Reply value
5 Controls

AlphaCigara
09-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Replay Value
Graphics
Gameplay
Either Online or Great Single Player
Innovative

Not in any particular order... :)

LTM360
09-21-2004, 09:23 PM
I'll take Super Mario Brothers for the nintendo over Hunter: The Reckoning anyday.

I love when people know what their talkin about. :)

Whisper
09-21-2004, 09:59 PM
I think the story line is most important.

To me, most RPGs start nice and quickly go corny.

To me the best storylined games have been Max Payne, Halo, and Resident Evil.

Tony_Macaroni
09-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Graphics arent a HUGE deal but its always a "great" plus. And I always hate those games when u try to do something like shoot out a light an u can't ... i always think the little thinks can make a game so much better. Like rag doll physics, being able to impale/shoot dead bodies with a twitching reaction or something... and it needs lots of replay value.

Peepers
09-23-2004, 05:16 AM
In single player: freedom.

In multiplayer: balance.

There are other factors, but these are the first principles.

LTM360
09-23-2004, 08:25 AM
/me glad Peepers is back posting again. :)

Now when you getting on Rainbow?