PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Battlefront Review

RockTheCasba
09-18-2004, 01:07 PM
little dissapointed.

Star Wars Battlefront review (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/549/549156p1.html)

MixMasta
09-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Hmmm, it doesn't sound like a very good 8.5 title, does it?

I was hoping to beat the hell out of Fable, trade it for this game, and hopefully last till Halo 2 comes out.

Now I don't think I want this. I'll wait for some XBAers play it.

Snowblind
09-18-2004, 02:41 PM
8.5 is good enough for me.

Ghost
09-18-2004, 02:51 PM
8.5 is good enough for me.
yup same here. online shooting is online shooting, ANYTHING will last till halo 2 cuz ANYTHING wont be as good as halo 2. :cool:

Ninjermy
09-18-2004, 02:54 PM
this is pretty iffy for me now... i was really looking forward to this but after readin that its a bit tougher decision. i guess i could always pick it up beat it quick and turn around and sell it again. or mabye just rent it...

hebgbz
09-18-2004, 03:59 PM
I had no problem with the review. I was not expecting Halo 2 here. I think you can easily buy it, play online for a month or so, then trade it or sell it for about half of what you paid and then play Halo from then on. I think $25 for this title for a month of Live play sounds about right.

Kortiz
09-18-2004, 05:02 PM
Well, I was hoping for some sort of interesting single player experience, however I knew it would be like every other shooter with live play -- I play them online and that's it.

I guess I'll wait and see what some of my fellow DDC are doing....if they get it and like it -- i'll probably trade in fable and purchase it.

Hugopolo
09-18-2004, 05:38 PM
7.5-8.5 seams like a standard for XBL only experiences (by that i mean no sinlgeplayer fun.) RTCW and Unreal and CS all got that or lower but they all are still very fun and popular

MixMasta
09-18-2004, 09:28 PM
I wish KUF would come out soon, I would probably choose that over this. I WANT KUF!!!

Brevity
09-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Just checked out next months GameInformer and they gave it like a 8.5 too I think and they second opinion was lower like 7ish. I may rent this first. Both articles said there is a total lack of: options, tactics, weapons.

Sheeyt
09-19-2004, 12:08 AM
What did they expect? Its Battlefield, in a Star Wars universe. There is no tactics, weapons or options in Battlefield either but its still fun.

JJaX
09-19-2004, 01:02 AM
8.5 for a StarWars game is good....

Gotta love the commercial too! :) (http://streamingmovies.ign.com/xbox/article/548/548685/battlefront_091604_1_wmvlow.wmv?wu=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.xbox.ign.com%2Fmedia%2F617%2F617665%2Fvid_9382 71.html%3Fmu%3D%3CURL%2F%3E)

Sheeyt
09-19-2004, 01:26 AM
I'm still getting it. Reviews are teh gay.

cheedoh
09-19-2004, 01:40 AM
hmm... xbox or pc, xbox or pc, that is the question. /me ponders... ;p

Variation-XBA
09-19-2004, 11:56 AM
I'm still unsure to get it or not, and if I do, XB or PC? =/ Decisions decisions...

pvsurfer03
09-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Xbox because of the headset, and it supports 24 humans and 8 bots.

JJaX
09-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Xbox because of the headset, and it supports 24 humans and 8 bots.

Yes, they are stupid, but the multiplayer bots add a real feel of participating in a large scale war to the title that would have otherwise been sorely missed, especially on Xbox and PS2, where the actual amount of human combatants is limited to 24 and 16, respectively (PC supports 32 online and 50 over LAN, but be careful to change your hosting bandwidth options before you begin)....
In addition to looking cool while occasionally stealing craft and running amok, the bots add a level of hero vs. hero action that's pretty fantastic. Imagine running through the levels gunning down bots (up to 32).

That means, 24 online, 16 system link. (why SL is less, I dunno)

Online = 24 humans + 32 bots

According to the IGN article that is...Although they say 16 players online, 32 system link in the video preview created in July. Im guessing new review is correct.

Im not expecting ground breaking gameplay. I just want to have some fun running around a starwars battlefield....

Ill probably act like the dude flying the speeder in the beginning of the commercial, and often yell "Theres...to many of them ahhhhhh!!!" before I die. :cheers:

RockTheCasba
09-20-2004, 12:49 AM
they gave the pc version a 7.5

AlBoogy
09-20-2004, 07:50 AM
7.5-8.5 seams like a standard for XBL only experiences (by that i mean no sinlgeplayer fun.) RTCW and Unreal and CS all got that or lower but they all are still very fun and popular

Actually, RTCW and Unreal Championship both got 9.2 at IGN.

LTM360
09-20-2004, 09:37 AM
eh, I've been wanting ANY form of Battlefield since I played 1942 on PC, and since my PC can't run a Battlefield to save its life, and Modern Combat is delayed for a year, Battlefront seems to be my choice. I'll be picking this up at Target ($10 gift card) Wednesday.

CarGuy
09-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Yea this seems pretty cool, I might pick it up..

Wolfgame
09-20-2004, 10:53 AM
I wanted to buy this game, but as more and more reviews are popping up it seems like a renter.

Hugopolo
09-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Actually, RTCW and Unreal Championship both got 9.2 at IGN.
I was talking about mags becuase IGN seems to have some very wierd reviews, I dont really base anything off of them

AlBoogy
09-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Then in reality the magazines you were reading were the weird ones. Most places gave RTCW aboce a 9 and it deserves it. Unreal Championship deserved it too. I agree that IGN messes up sometimes but not in that case.

Brutus
09-20-2004, 06:33 PM
Man. Forget those mags. It's not like it's shooter maniacs making the Reviews.
It's dorks & Dragoner's & Mario Bros'.
I'm not going to pay attention to any more reviews.
Anyone here actually play it yet?

mattgame
09-21-2004, 11:55 AM
I hope to get my copy today. Does anyone want to get it for me?

Brutus
09-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Man. I'm sure this game kicks butt, & we're all basing a decision off of some stupid reviewer. That's lame.
I saw the commercial & thought it looked great!

Halle_Berry
09-21-2004, 12:14 PM
I hope to get my copy today. Does anyone want to get it for me?

You know I will get it for you big boy. You just say the word. ;)

Duke
09-21-2004, 12:20 PM

Rawwwrrr. You ass.

mattgame
09-21-2004, 12:33 PM

Oh baby, I need to have it, I need to have it now!!!!

Spaztic
09-21-2004, 01:30 PM
guys at my work are playing it in the breakroom, seems pretty cool. Since I am so busy with burnout and fable though, I will rent if latter.....

Brutus
09-22-2004, 12:09 PM
guys at my work are playing it in the breakroom, seems pretty cool. Since I am so busy with burnout and fable though, I will rent if latter.....
Yeah. I'm a little "Stellar Titled" - out myself man.
...So many great games, so little time. I love good holiday line-ups! & Sports Title's! :)

TheCovenant
09-23-2004, 02:27 AM
i rented this game, havent put it down since. I love it, im gonna buy it. Large scale futuristic battles? why the heck not.

Graphically its amazing. Best online shooter (graphics wise) ive seen to date.

Ofline, the game is crap, the bots are ridiculously stupid, cant hold a command post for anything. I mean, you go in, by yourself, take out two tanks, what seems like 100's of enemies...two destroyers (argh, these are annoying bastages) AND stay at a post long enough to take it over. You start feelin' pretty damn good about yourself, so you head on over to the next zone and do yo thang again.....3 minutes later you hear the ever annoying ( we have lost a command post) followed by a ( the enemy has captured a command post). Whether or not its the one you took over by yourself doesnt make you feel any better. But yea, playing a game on this large a scale on the xbox has a certain level of satisfaction.

online, this is pretty damn fun, and thats what it all comes down to. The controls arent as tight as halo, and there are some features that really have no reason for not making it in ( a damn lobby, and some xbox live 3.0 features....please!?!?!?) but when you get right down to it, hopping on an at-at and gunning down 20 guys and a x-wing feels damn good, i dont care how much you like star wars ( i hate the series personally).

overall, yea its an 8.5.....i beat the single player campaign in a day, on hard, and the bots are as smart as that piece of lint, that you just cant quite put your finger on its origin, but hey, it satisfies the most primal of lusts......blowing stuff up, to look tough.

/

SPARTAN VI
09-23-2004, 02:43 AM
Nice review dooooooder. I might pick this up. :)

Brutus
09-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Hmmm... Definitely worth it, but I just bought Fable. I saw it at the Local Game Crazy & thought it didn't look textured enough, but it was definitely large enough!

SPARTAN VI
09-24-2004, 02:06 AM
evryone should at least give this game a rent. way more than worth it. im getting fable, this , ninja gaiden and dopuble dash on tuesday of this week (28th?)....so i guess i reccoment this game to those who can afford this and fable....which really, should be everyone.....

P.S.

This is the covenant

JJaX
09-25-2004, 03:31 PM
Hmmm... Definitely worth it, but I just bought Fable. I saw it at the Local Game Crazy & thought it didn't look textured enough, but it was definitely large enough!

Textured enough?

You're such a tool. :p

Brutus
09-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Textured enough?

You're such a tool. :p

A TOOL!?!!?!? F U U A HOLE
No. Just kiddin' anyhow. What I meant to say was that from what I'd seen, there really wasn't a whole lot of Bump Mapping. Just an Observation.

I mean, since you've actually bought the game, don't just call me a tool. Tell me about it. Did they take away from Bump Mapping because they had to sacrifice for Vast Environments? (They do look pretty big) Or is it because of the enemy AI & amount of baddies?

As you should know, man, I'm all about the shooters. I like the way they feel, look, sound & play. I like the feeling of being immersed in a shooter, man. One that sort of Sadistically places you behind the gun. Like you're the Gunman.

What I want to know is does this game kick the Sh*t or does it kick the bucket? :confused:

OC Noob
09-27-2004, 10:11 AM
What did they expect? Its Battlefield, in a Star Wars universe. There is no tactics, weapons or options in Battlefield either but its still fun.

Exactly, the SP game is just to get new people used to the system. Where the action and 99% of the game is, is online. The tactics come from real people and that is (usually) much better then any game AI.

Think of this as Counter Strike on a larger scale, with Star Wars guys and greatly updated.

It really is a MP only game and can be the greatest game in the world if you get into online team play.

The reviews really don't matter so long as you enjoy some 12 on 12 multiplayer action with weapons vehicles and all sorts of mahem.

If you don't like Live MP action then its DEFINITLY not the game for you, but Xbox users are pretty lucky to be the first of the consoles to get this type of game. Soon enough there will be 32 on 32 matches on Live and this is where it all starts.

I think the new BF for PC supports 100 player maps for 50 on 50 action... or 75 on 25:p