PDA

View Full Version : Women gamers

Bundy
01-28-2002, 11:11 AM
So has there been any demographics stating how much of the xbox population is women? I was just curious. Myself i do not know of any hardcore or even regular female gamers. My wife and a buddy’s wife will play on occasion, but not nearly as often as my friends and I do.

Do we have any women posters on these boards?

Ninja Scroll
01-28-2002, 11:18 AM
I would like to know the stats on this topic, it would be interesting to know.
But I do know we have several chick in here.
xboxpebbles, xboxbabe (aint seen her in forever doe:( ), and I seen a couple others come and go.:confused:

JJaX
01-28-2002, 11:26 AM
most women i know like games were they just get to hold one button down and go. Fun Fun Fun!!

Hydro thunder was a favorite for the ladies......

LynxFX
01-28-2002, 11:35 AM
Well according to womengamers.com the last survey in 1999 said that women made up 43% of PC gaming and 35% of console gamers. That number was on the rise back then so I would image it is getting close to being even with men gamers.

I don't doubt why you haven't seen many around here. Just look what happened with xboxbabe. Practically every guy on this board jumped down her throat with lame pickup lines and 'you are hot' posts. Does that sound like something you would want to put up with everyday when you just want to share info about the xbox like everyone else here?

BTW, I personally know more female gamers than male gamers but that's just me. And I'm sure if you have played any game online that you have had your ass kicked by a woman gamer and didn't even know it.

Bundy
01-28-2002, 11:44 AM
wow those figures are a lot higher than i would have guessed. Now if I can only transform my wife into a true gamer... ;)

Nato King
01-28-2002, 11:52 AM
I have a sister who likes to play the xbox she is about 16. she likes that game called Fuzion Frenzy the DEMO yes the demo not even the real game. She plays this game all the time and I can never get on the xbox to play halo online.

Bundy
01-28-2002, 11:53 AM
I did hear that game was kinda targeted at women.

Nato King
01-28-2002, 11:57 AM
I know what you mean all the time. she even has your friend addict to that game.

batman46st
01-28-2002, 12:28 PM
my wife who likes online gaming like if anyones herdof sweettooth in pogo.com she loves that and in my xbox shes hooked on munches oddesy the bad thing is when im online shes like i wann play sweeeeet tooooth (nagging voice) when im on the xbox i wannnnnnnna beat munch (nagging voice) so u know im cool with it i want her to play xbox soon she'll even make a account on this site.

Ninja Scroll
01-28-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
I don't doubt why you haven't seen many around here. Just look what happened with xboxbabe. Practically every guy on this board jumped down her throat with lame pickup lines and 'you are hot' posts. Does that sound like something you would want to put up with everyday when you just want to share info about the xbox like everyone else here?

But dude, xboxbabe was HOT! :D ;) :D

xboxpebbles
01-28-2002, 05:27 PM
id just like to say that i have been
into video games my whole life!
(even though im only 15)
my and my cousin grew up w/ the
nintendo...
i had a sega, a 64, a few
handhelds...now the ultimate xbox
(by far the best:D ) and
im just a typical gamer..i
like pretty much all genres,
especially rpgs, strategy, action,
and a lil bit of anything else...
i know a few girl gamers(not
really into it as much as i am:confused: ,
but my cousin and best friend both have xboxs:p )
just wanted to tell ya ..lol:)

Hugh_Jass
01-29-2002, 11:52 AM

I agree with you but she DID post a pic of herself on the board. She submitted herself for public opinion. If she didn't expect the reaction she got then she isn't a good judge of human male gamer behavior. I'm not saying the events that transpired were correct but they shouldn't have been surprising.

I'm not entirely convinced that the picture was her anyway.

Ninja Scroll
01-29-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

I agree with you but she DID post a pic of herself on the board. She submitted herself for public opinion. If she didn't expect the reaction she got then she isn't a good judge of human male gamer behavior. I'm not saying the events that transpired were correct but they shouldn't have been surprising.

I'm not entirely convinced that the picture was her anyway.

well said Hugh:cool:
But whether or not that was her in that pic,....dude,...I cant tell you enough how hot that chick was!:p

Sada
01-29-2002, 04:20 PM
New woman poster here. :)
The point is, why is gaming defined by males that view females first and foremost as sex objects? And why should women just put up with that? Just because 15-year-old boys like it that way? Hell no. I don’t think so.

Lots of people post pics of themselves online. Why is it when women do it, men automatically assume she is doing it to get her appearance judged? That’s not why we live our lives, sorry guys. I’ve posted pics of myself online, and it’s not so guys can tell me how hot I am. Lots of BBs foster a sense of community. When that happens people tend to share more of themselves, including pictures. Don’t read so much into it.

But the basic message is: in order for women to participate in gaming and its culture, we need to agree to this and shut up about it? I think that’s crappy.

I almost loathe posting on this board because of that stupid nurse on top of the page. It’s shows everyone loud and clear how women are viewed here. And you wonder why we don’t hang around? It’s not fun to be judged as a sex object. Attention doesn’t equal power or anything.

Sada - *who will seriously pay the Xbox Addict people money to remove the nurse – the icky guy is more fun anyway*

And yes, I do play Xbox. I don’t kick ass (at the current games anyway), but I do play.

Hugh_Jass
01-30-2002, 11:46 AM
I don't like the nurse, either. It's poorly done and has nothing to do with XBOX.

I never said she posted her pic to get her appearance judged. I said if she posted her pic she should expect to get her appearance judged. Her motivations were irrelevant. Judging someone by their appearance is common human behavior and don't try to tell me it is unique to males.

I welcome women on XBA (and the Internet in general). It's a great place where people are free to be themselves. I'm just saying that if women want to be thought of as gamers they should present themselves that way. XBOXBabe was a willing participant in the attention she got and much of it could have been avoided if she handled it differently.

Sada
01-30-2002, 12:08 PM
Much of it could also have been avoided if others handled it differently as well. That's my point. When I walk down to the road to get the mail and a guy honks at me, who is more at fault? I'd say the guy.

Judging people by their personal appearance is something all people do. I understand that. But it's a question of where that judgement is placed among all the other judgements people make at the same time. If someone is viewed as a sex object first and foremost - that really bites. And when that judgement takes value over all other judgement, that is wrong.

I agree that she should not have been surprised. I highly doubt she was surprised. But as you said before, that doesn't make it right. *I think we are actually agreeing here*

JJaX
01-30-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Sada
When I walk down to the road to get the mail and a guy honks at me, who is more at fault? I'd say the guy.

And im assuming your a woman....

Because if your not then somethings not right here.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Never mind i read the last posts (Uhh Duuuh)
Yea and i dont like that nurse on top either, her face is busted :cool:

And that guy honking at you was probaly ninja scroll. Sorry bro didnt mean to blow up your spot :D

Anyways, I think woman should feel flattered when men think ther sexy. But posting your picture on a videogame forums is kinda asking for the attention. When i see a beautiful woman her looks is what motivates me to wanna get to know her. But hitting on forum girls is kinda low. Sorry if im getting a tad Off topic here.

*JJaX pauses

my point here is.......

I love WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!
I love WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!
I love WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!
I love WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!
I love WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

And women love me :cool:

Sada
01-30-2002, 05:09 PM
Well, you may feel it's a compliment, but many women don't. Trust me. How many women do you know run after a car that has just honked at them? :D

And of course it all depends on the situation. Am I offended when my boyfriend finds me sexy? Hell no. ;) Cause I know he still sees me as a person, not a piece of meat. But when a random stranger goes on and on about, excluding everything else about me? Yeah. That's disrespectful. I mean, just look at how quickly this thread (originally about women gamers) deteriorated into a thread about how "hot xboxbabe is." I mean, you see how it takes over everything? That's not cool.

But anyway, back to the original topic. My cousin is a top graphic artist who works on video games, and she's a woman. I always thought that was cool.

Here are some more general articles on the subject. The 43%/35% stat is still the more accurate thing out there, I think, as it's mentioned in this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1708000/1708233.stm

Here are some more stats: PC Data's study titled "Spotlight on Games: Categories and Hardware," says that out of 30 to 40 million online gamers in the U.S., women comprise 50.4 percent of that group. A study for the IDSA says that of 145 million people who call themselves hard-core PC or console gamers, 43 percent are women.

From this article: http://www.happypuppy.com/features/editorials/chickswit-ed-1.html

This article here is actually console-driven. Microsoft chose not to answer the journalist's initial inquiry, so that kinda leaves out the Xbox: http://www.joystickenvy.com/article1007.html

And some more random links:

http://www.mg.co.za/pc/2001/02/0902_grrlgames.htm

http://www.msoworld.com/mindzine/news/miscellany/wbc00report3.html

darianX
01-31-2002, 08:22 AM
I thought this was an xbox forum, not a political discussion or a college campus..

JJaX
01-31-2002, 10:00 AM

Here are some more stats: PC Data's study titled "Spotlight on Games: Categories and Hardware," says that out of 30 to 40 million online gamers in the U.S., women comprise 50.4 percent of that group.

Ignorance is beautiful isnt it???
Ive been playing online games since the 14.4 days and i can honestly say that about 4% of the people i play are women.
I played UT hardcore and ran into about 4 women on servers i visited often. Of the about say 100 people i met and got to know on the servers 4 of them were woman, Lets see thats about 4% eh?

Dont you think that these polls and surveys these people conduct are very false. Do you think a woman who plays chess on Yahoo considers her self a online gamer? I do! You see, Ignorance and lack of knowledge can lead to false statistics.You think a woman who plays soul calibur with her boy friend every now and then thinks shes a gamer?? I DO! The true question is, What is a gamer? I think that they surveys conducted had a loose judment call on what a real gamer actually is. And thats why we have such extreme numbers. I would think about 15% of the true gamer population is female. But thats just a shot in the dark ;)

LynxFX
01-31-2002, 10:42 AM
So JJax, you are going to believe numbers that you just pull out of your ass versus numbers that are from an actual survey?

Yeah that seams like the best way to come to a conclusion. :rolleyes:

i can honestly say that about 4% of the people i play are women.

And exactly how do you know this? Did you go over to the house of each person that you played and looked to see if they were male or female? How many times when you were playing did you ask "Are you a guy or a gal?" The number of women you played online may not be 43% or whatever, but I assure you that it is closer higher than 4% if you really have been playing since the 14.4 days.

JJaX
01-31-2002, 10:57 AM
So JJax, you are going to believe numbers that you just pull out of your ass versus numbers that are from an actual survey?

Yeah that seams like the best way to come to a conclusion. :rolleyes:

Fuk right im gonna believe my fuking numbers. I rather know through my own experience then some Cu/\/T a$$ s4it for a survey. So your saying dont draw conclusions through real life experiences? Surveys of this sort suck, How can there data be accurate being that the definition of a gamer is so broad. Why you always on my DlCK, DlCK????

Sada
01-31-2002, 11:59 AM
JJax, if you actually read all the articles, you'll find that they address the issues you brought up. They discuss the issues of "hardcore gaming" versus the people playing solitaire. There is nothing ignorant about it if you actually read the articles and do some research. Everyone knows that stats can be fixed and misleading, but that doesn't mean they are entirely false. They are what they are. If the stat says online gaming, then yes, that is exactly what they mean. But it's only part of the story. That's why you can't go by stats alone. You have to read the articles, talk to women gamers, listen to women gamers, etc. to get the whole story.

Or, you can go by your own narrow little point-of-view. Which I'm sure is a lot easier for you. Ignoring the problem is what most people do best.

As for this being off topic, puh-leeze darianX. :rolleyes: A discussion of women gamers on a gaming forum? It makes a lot more sense than the "babe" thread. Did you go yell at them too?

LynxFX
01-31-2002, 11:59 AM
Yes I'll get on your case when you are trying to make a broad ass statement based on your experience and numbers that you begin with 'about'. And you still have no clue how many of those others you played with actually were guys. You can assume, but then again, that is all you have been doing.

Of course the survey isn't 100% accurate. No survey is, but it looked at a lot more people then you were playing with and alot more games as well. Oh and they did that one little thing to make their data accurate. They asked "Are you male or female?"

You are the ignorant one to think that only 15% of gamers are female. And yes the term 'gamer' is a broad term and they used it as such. They aren't claiming hardcore UT numbers. They are looking beyond a single game because believe it or not, people play quite a variety of games in the 'real world'.

JJaX
01-31-2002, 12:21 PM
ACk!
This is all giving me a head ache.....
Sorry Sada for not reading the articles as a whole.
And yes Lynxfx i see what your saying. It just seems like the ratio is rather high.

Click on the link on my Sig to forget about all this eh? ;)

darianX
02-01-2002, 11:45 AM
As for this being off topic, puh-leeze darianX. :rolleyes: A discussion of women gamers on a gaming forum? It makes a lot more sense than the "babe" thread. Did you go yell at them too? [/B]

As a matter of fact, I didn't even read that thread because I knew it would be filled with horny teenagers drooling all over the place. So there.

I think this thread should be removed due to over-politicizing, and don't tell me it hasn't been either. Who really gives a *****e how many women vs how many men are playing games on this forum anyway?? Playing games on the Xbox has nothing to do with the sex of the person playing them and everything about how much fun it is to do it, so please, keep the male vs female crap on the campus.

Sada
02-01-2002, 06:24 PM
Since I have no desire for a PhD, my campus days are long over.

So there!

(heh, just picking on you :p)

And I think gaming is less fun for some women precisely because of how their gender is treating by the gaming industry, and therefore worth talking about. But if you disagree, you disagree. *shrug* I'm sure the mods will do what they see fit. I know I've basically said all I need to say on the topic.

Frostberg
02-01-2002, 08:26 PM
Hmm I didnt know there was a big problem with the XBA Nurse, only on the very top, I dont talk to her much because we dont usually run into each other often, and she does get angry because i ignore her sometimes...thats why she looks angry, thats all because of me...

Anyway we should have Van up there doing something silly...

JohnB
02-01-2002, 11:49 PM
I have to say. I've been playing games online for quite some time, and playing against women is rare. I have only met about 2 girls that play counterstrike.