PDA

View Full Version : Love EA, or Despise EA......(they're actually fearing someone)

memphissheik
09-23-2004, 06:08 AM
September 22, 2004 - IGN Sports has just confirmed through sources that NBA Live 2005 is not only shipping earlier than expected, it's also going to be sold at a reduced price.

The game, originally scheduled to ship October 5th, is now shipping on Tuesday September 28th and will be in stores on Wednesday September 29th. Just as important, it's also finally been confirmed that the game will only cost $39.99.

Looks like a win-win for gamers looking to start their NBA seasons ahead of schedule, as NBA Live 2005 sets to offer a series of upgrades and new features, including All-Star Weekend (slam dunk and three-point contests), Freestyle Air (tip-ins and changed shots), and an easier to navigate Dynasty mode that will have virtual GM's trading, signing, and drafting players in hopes of being the next Joe Dumars and bringing home a world title.

Until then, IGN Sports is unveiling all of the player ratings in the game, so check back every day to find the latest dunk, shot, and pass ratings of every player in the NBA.

I caught that little tidbit while I was surfing around IGN's site looking for info on X-Men Legends.....

ain't that something, special...

I'm still gettin' ESPN NBA 2K5.

AlphaCigara
09-23-2004, 06:17 AM
Love EA for Burnout 3...that's just about it for me :)

LTM360
09-23-2004, 08:11 AM
ESPN Basketball already sells better than Live, so a big $10 isn't gonna make a difference... I still can't belive they won't put it to $20. Greedy *******s...

CharlieHustle
09-23-2004, 12:08 PM
Its funny because some rep from EA was just boastin about how they dont have to reduce their price because they said that they have the best products. Now look at them.. Open mouth and insert foot.

Whisper
09-23-2004, 12:54 PM
ESPN will soon pwn EA in the sports games.

Brutus
09-23-2004, 01:10 PM
I'm all about ESPN when it comes to hockey. I haven't seen anything nearly that cool for the last few years now.
Football was Fever up until it started being the same F'n game & then it was ESPN. Although I did buy Madden '03. Traded it shortly after.
Then Baseball, I owned ESPN & then traded it in. It's just not meant to be a Vid Game. You're supposed to go out & Play baseball in my opinion.
But it's a toss up for Basketball. I've never owned a Basketball game. But if I did, it'd probably be ESPN's because they've treated me sooooooooooo right on the HOckey. Oh yea, & the football is off the hook too!

Huckleberry
09-23-2004, 01:26 PM
i think espn is the sports equivalent of microsoft. when they decide they want to OWN something, they aren't going to be denied. others that have held the king of the mountain title won't necessarily be put out of business (i.e. sony), but eventually the machine that is, be it microsoft or espn, will overwhelm. they will give it away if they need to to get you hooked. hmmmm...sounds like a drug dealer! no matter, i'm a junkie already...for both.

Spaztic
09-23-2004, 03:58 PM
Live the other yeah was better then 2k4, I am going to give ESPN NBA 2k5 a run....

LTM360
09-23-2004, 06:39 PM
EA is feeling the heat, big time!

EA announced Buy 2, get 1 free deal (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/23/news_6108303.html)

EA Sports announces buy 2, get 1 free promotion
[UPDATE] Electronic Arts CFO Warren Jenson tells securities conference of plan to counter ESPN's discount prices and win the coming holiday "battle."

When Sega and Take-Two first announced ESPN NFL 2K5 would sell for just $19.99, Electronic Arts scoffed at the idea. "Sounds like they're throwing in the towel," Jeff Brown, Electronic Arts' vice president of corporate communications, told the San Jose Mercury News following ESPN's announcement. "They're signaling to consumers, retailers, and the NFL that they are no longer selling a premium product." Similar noises were made when ESPN NBA 2K5 and ESPN NHL 2K5 were also discounted to $19.99.

Two months later, Electronic Arts is singing a different tune. Speaking today to an assembly of analysts and traders at the BancAmerica Securities 34th Annual Investment Conference in San Francisco, EA CFO Warren Jenson announced a two-pronged attack to counter ESPN's pricing strategy.

First, Jensen revealed that NBA Live 2005's sticker price would be cut by $10 to just $39.99, a $10 drop from EA Sports' games standard $49.99 price point. Secondly, Jenson announced that EA is launching an across-the-board, buy-two-get-one-free promotion for any EA Sports title.

[UPDATE] Subsequent information provided by EA to GameSpot outlined the deal. "Consumers who buy two new EA Sports titles between September 27 and November 14 can get a coupon online for a third free game," said a representative for the company, who said details would be forthcoming on the official EA Web site. The EA rep confirmed the online coupon would be good for any and every EA sports title. "The promotion aligns with the holiday and the launch of a lot of our most popular franchises," said the rep. "It also shows our competitors that we're playing to win in every category."

Despite the discount announcements, EA's CFO was eager to point out that EA Sports titles are selling very well at full price. "Through Sept 18, 2.4 million units of Madden sold worldwide," said Jenson, "and the $60 [PlayStation 2] Collector's Edition is virtually sold out." He also emphasized the enduring strength of all the EA Sports franchises, which are best sellers year after year.

However, just in case anyone doubted that EA would not be competitive in Q4--worries exhibited in yesterday's $1.29 drop in the company's stock price--Jenson threw down the gauntlet. "There will be battles this holiday season," he said, "and we're going to be ready."

By Tor Thorsen, Curt Feldman -- GameSpot (www.gamespot.com)

Hm, 3 games for $100 from EA. 5 games for $100 from Sega. I'll take Sega, I'll get quanity and quality. :)

Dyslexic Chaos
09-24-2004, 01:53 AM
ya, two for one sounds great, but thats the equivilant to 33% off, and you need a 2/3 (depending on how you look at it) game commitment. ESPN is 60% off, with no commitment needed. So ESPN is still a shatload better deal. As you said, Quality, quantity, and price all in ESPN's favor. EA will still outsell thanks to the blind fanboys who praise EA no matter what they do, but meh, maybe they'll give ESPN a shot, see that i pwn3's EA sports, and be converted, which I'm sure is the plan. BTW, does anyone have any official numbers on the Madden Vs. ESPN NFL 2K5 sales so far?

Peepers
09-24-2004, 05:39 AM
I hate EA. Until they start designing for the best system and porting down instead of designing for the worst system and porting up, I'll always feel that way. That's why I don't get excited about any EA titles.

Brutus
09-24-2004, 09:24 AM
I hate EA. Until they start designing for the best system and porting down instead of designing for the worst system and porting up, I'll always feel that way. That's why I don't get excited about any EA titles.
No doubt. THat's what made me switch to ESPN! It's because Fever kind of didn't represent for us come the second & third years.
If EA did make it for Xbox first they'd only make their fans happier. I mean, aren't they saying that ESPN is the best looking sports title on the PS2 right now?
So hey, who knows. They're still selling millions of copies, I just think that Sega did what they could to take away from that, & it's working out a little bit.