PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have HDTV's?

Razor70
09-26-2004, 12:48 AM
I just wondered if it's really worth getting a HDTV just for playing video games. I have a rear projection HDTV that I use for watching regular tv and playing dvd's. But I am in the process of buying a new tv just to put my game systems on and I was wondering if I would be better off spending a little more on a HDTV over just a standard tv. Any information would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Holt88
09-26-2004, 01:58 AM
I have an HDTV. It's really nice, when you can use it cause my mom likes to hog up the tv. But it's up to whether or not you really want to spend the money on it.

LynxFX
09-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Well you get instant gratisfication just by going from 480i to 480p with nearly all xbox games. The ones that do HD resolutions like 720p or 1080i are still few and far inbetween with this generation. However if you are at all interested in Xbox 2 or PS3 those will most likely have the standard resolutoin be in HD and then downsampled to 480i for those with regular tvs.

If all you want it for is games then I would take a look at DLP, LCD or LOCS technology since they won't give you problems with burn in. Just all depends on your budget and how responsible you are with watching out for static images and varying up your gameplay.

Holt88
09-26-2004, 03:53 PM
LCD's have contrast problems compared to others, and can't be stretched as large. It also has poor black lvels and bad pixels, along with that, the bigger the size of it, it increases the chance of a bad transistor in a display. DLP on the other hand has dithering, clay faces and there is an rainbow effect on some. LOCS I havn't heard much about.

LynxFX
09-26-2004, 04:08 PM
LCD's have contrast problems compared to others, and can't be stretched as large. It also has poor black lvels and bad pixels, along with that, the bigger the size of it, it increases the chance of a bad transistor in a display. DLP on the other hand has dithering, clay faces and there is an rainbow effect on some. LOCS I havn't heard much about.
All depends on the manufacturer. All tv's other than CRT's have contrast problems. They all are working on getting their blacks 'black' whether it is DLP, LCD, Plasma, or etch-a-sketch. Most people don't even calibrate their tv's to begin with so never notice those things. You can get LCD tv's larger than 60" as well as an LCD front projector that can go to 120"+ and still look good, so not sure what you meant by 'can't be stretched as large'. If you get an LCD tv and it has bad pixels, depending on their warranty you can get it replaced. DLP, I've never had a problem with dithering and the only time I have spotted it is when I looked really really hard. Again something 95% of the public will never notice or even care about. Rainbows are more of a problem on first and second gen DLP front projectors. My mom can see them on my projector at 110". I can't see them, neither have my friends that have come over. She can't however see them on the 63" DLP rear projection tv. The color wheels are faster, better DLP chips, and smaller screen make rainbows pretty much a non-issue with DLP rear projection tv's now.

They all have their pros and cons, but most are overshadowed by the final product. A steller picture over anything they had before. And every model that comes out just gets better and better. We have members here that pretty much cover every type of HD television technology and I don't believe any of them have said "I'm going back to my old tv." :wink: I will say that I won't own another CRT rearprojection tv. After the next wave of price drops I'll purchase either another DLP tv or go with LCOS. LCD is my least favorite of the mainstream next to Plasma but even they are getting better. I think Chaotic got an LCD tv and he loves it.

And meant, LCOS, think of it as a mix between LCD and DLP.

Holt88
09-26-2004, 07:12 PM
lol, ahh plasmas. I really don't like them.

techie
09-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Razor70,

My question to you would be if you already have an HDTV, why do you
not simply plug your Xbox into it and decide for yourself whether or not
it is worth the money.

I would think a $20 investment into the HD pack and trying out some
games on your current projection HDTV would make more sense than
asking people in a forum where you are subject to everyone's personal
likes and dislikes in TV's.

But since you asked, yes, HDTV all the way!! My personal preference
are tube crt's, not projection.

Brutus
09-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Yeah. It's all about HDTV. But do you get the Cheap one, or the Expensive one?
I've found that some expensive Standard TV's look better than the Cheap HDTV's. But that's also because a lot of the Cheap HDTV's can't even produce 720p.

Look at your budget & consider that. THat's what I always do.

But, playing a little DOA3 on a widescreen in 720p never hurt none either.

LynxFX
09-27-2004, 12:07 PM
But, playing a little DOA3 on a widescreen in 720p never hurt none either.
DOA3 is only 480p but 16x9.

Soul Calibur 2 is 720p but it locks it in 4x3 aspect ratio so it is cheating.

Peepers
09-27-2004, 12:15 PM
I wish I had an HDTV.

Chaotic
09-27-2004, 03:22 PM
I think Chaotic got an LCD tv and he loves it.

I have the Sony Grand Wega 60" LCD and like Lynx said i love the thing.. I researched over 3 months, looked at many diffrent tv's and compared most of the DLP and LCD's side by side. I finally came to the conlusion that although the blacks are better on the DLP's (not by much) all the +'s of the LCD over the DLP made me go LCD. The burnt out pixel issue depending on the manufactor is basically a non issue. I was very concerned about this as well and i was assured i will not have any dead pixel. They also offer a great 4 year warranty on most LCD and DLP tv's that will replace the first bulb for free and provides you with parts and labor for 4 years....

mattgame
09-27-2004, 04:44 PM
Just out of curiousity and some jealousy, how much did your tv cost you?

batman46st
09-27-2004, 04:58 PM
i have it its great to have very costly i have a 55 inch widescreen hdtv in my room with a surround sound from my radio that has 500 wats and two woofers so itsl ike a grown up play pad when i turn on doa3 mine was a whoping 2 gs

CRAYMAN
09-27-2004, 05:25 PM

I just purchased a 50 in LCD from Best Buy and it was @ 3700(or close to that).

It's the BOMB! (Can I still say that?) :confused:

CharlieHustle
09-27-2004, 08:28 PM
i have a philips 46" widescreen, i had a pic posted here in this forum somewhere.

Razor70
09-28-2004, 12:48 AM
Well the main reason why I don't use my hdtv to play my games is because I am afraid of burn in on my rear projection tv. So, I figured buying a nice tv for just playing my games on would probably be the best thing. I did have my xbox hooked up to my hdtv and I loved the way it looked, but the reason why I asked my original question is...I just wondered what everyone thought about HDTV and weather it would be worth it for me to put more money into a hdtv than just getting a nice tv.

l Maximus l
09-28-2004, 01:12 AM

I have a 50" Rear Projection HDTV that I purchased 2 years ago for a couple grand. It's not the new LCD HDTVs or DLP; however, I haven't had any trouble with burn in since I keep my contrast low and I rarely play games with a static image on for too long.

That's one cool thing about Halo...if I get killed (the thought is almost humorous...jk), the static images disappear momentarily (in multi-player). And, since that's pretty much the only game I play, I'm not worried about burning in my HDTV.

I will say this, though...my old man has the exact same HDTV that I do...and during the War in Afghanistan, my mother was, apparently, watching CNN, Fox News, or MSNBC (one of those stations) and the scroll bar that reads words on the bottom of the screen burned right in the screen.

My old man ended up taking it in and getting it fixed. $400 later, it's fixed :eek:

Chaotic
09-28-2004, 08:05 AM

$4,000 :eek:

Brutus
09-28-2004, 09:16 AM
$4,000 :eek:
Oh gosh... Ah ha.
Mine was a whopping $400.00!

rolling stone
09-28-2004, 09:32 AM
you guys with the HDTV's are lucky ducks! i have a regular tv, but i got a really good price on it since it was last year's model and a display set at the store i bought it from. it's like 35-inch or so, which might not seem like a lot to you guys, but it's a HUGE upgrade from the small 19-inch screen i used to have.

the last school i was at had a big rec center in the basement right below me, and nobody ever took advantage of it so some of the guys on my floor and me would set up the 'ol xbox down there and play some halo once in a while. it was so awesome, the sound system they had was great, too. anyway, all of you with the HDTV's are super lucky and i hate you :)

CharlieHustle
09-28-2004, 09:41 AM
mine costed $1500

quamen
09-28-2004, 02:51 PM
I was pimping a 53" Hitachi HD before I moved now I'm pimping a 44" Hitachi, I like to go with Hitachi cause they have the newest technology. If you ask me though after you play the game for awhile, you don't really notice HDTV or non-HDTV, but what really makes a difference and what I think should be where some extra money should go is in the surround sound system. That totally ups the experience 10 fold. I'm only sporting a 550 Watt Samsung home theatre system which sounds deadly and it immerses me more than the HD TV aspect of my TV does.

Brutus
09-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Yeah. HDTV is great for less grain & stuff. Makes colors more solid as well, but you're so right & I couldn't agree more.
It's all about the Surround Sound

Razor70
09-28-2004, 03:56 PM
So should I not worry about burn in and just put my xbox on my rear projection tv and hook it up to my surround sound then in my tv room? I just don't want to have to throw away $1500 on a tv if it does get burn in. I know it's really up to me to decide, but what would you all do in my place?

LikShotz
09-28-2004, 04:03 PM
i got a 51 Inch Sony HDTV. costme bout 1700$ wit rebates came to like 1500$, gamesl ook good on it. i notice the difference when i play on a normal tv now. i see the scan lines. on hdtv u dont. looks cleaner and smooth.

SouthBay
09-28-2004, 05:36 PM
I have a 65inch HD SAMSUNG.
I love it, gives me a BONER.

Razor70
09-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Well just wanted to let you guys all know..I threw caution to the wind and went ahead and hooked it up on my HDTV and I am hooked!!! No going back for me now! Wow what a difference in both picture and sound after hooking it up to my surround system! Never going back, never going back, never going back to a regular tv again!!!!! :cheers:

LikShotz
09-29-2004, 09:34 AM
do u have a HDTV box for the xbox? if not u r missin out on the capability.

Razor70
09-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Ya I do...I got it and like I said this is awesome!