PDA

View Full Version : Warning: SWTrilogy DVD Automatically updates your Xbox

SPARTAN VI
09-29-2004, 04:29 AM
The 'StarWars Trilogy DVD' (video/movie DVD) has an 'Extra Special Features Disc'. If you try to launch this on your Xbox it will automaticly update your dashboard ... NO confirmation will be asked. The bonus disc has extra features including a documentary on the star wars saga, footage from the making of all three films and a preview demo of the new 'StarWars Battlefront' Xbox game (that's why there's a default.xbe, dashupdate.xbe and update.xbe on the disc).

This information can be important for some people with older bioses (booting xboxdash.xbe), people using exploits or simply those who don't want their dash upgraded.

Source - CDfreaks (http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10574)

I'm not quite sure what it does. Has anyone already done this? :confused:

Peepers
09-29-2004, 04:32 AM
This is really freaky weird.

SPARTAN VI
09-29-2004, 04:47 AM
George Lucas is trying to kill us with his crappy new endings, then murder our Xboxs. :rofl:

Peepers
09-29-2004, 04:50 AM
George Lucas is trying to kill us with his crappy new endings, then murder our Xboxs. :rofl:

It must be some sort of Lucas conspiracy!

It doesn't make any sense that it would update the dash of someone who regularly plays Xbox Live and thus would already have the most recent dash.

Chaotic
09-29-2004, 07:56 AM
Spartan this is only for people who have modded xbox's. Normal users don't need to worry about this update...

And as we all know talking about mods around here is BAD :whistle:

Razor70
09-29-2004, 09:31 AM
It a update for Battlefront from what I have heard. I think it just updates the Live portion of your xboxs guys. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Alot of Xbox games I have heard will be doing this in the future. I still don't think it's right that it automatically updates them, but I guess Microsoft just figures everyone would want too anyways.

BananaMan
09-29-2004, 09:32 AM
I think it's just to catch modded xbox's, because it's a demo why would it update battlefront? it could just do it in the game.

Casper
09-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Does this bypass the setting on your Dashboard that you have it set to not auto-update? If so, they're getting dammmm sneaky.

BananaMan
09-29-2004, 09:44 AM
I believe it does casper.

OC Noob
09-29-2004, 09:55 AM
Lucas is secretly planning on blowing up ALL Xboxes with this software to get revenge on the Xbox exclusive game that has a better story line then all of his movies! Hes just pissed because he got upstaged by a video game.

<X Files music starts>

Casper
09-29-2004, 10:04 AM
Either it's something that was in cahootz (sp?) with MS and Lucas to do this - or it is going to unlock some special downloadable content that will only be availible for owners of Battlefront and the DVD set. Just a thought, but I'll investigate this a bit more if I can.

Chaotic
09-29-2004, 10:45 AM
no, it does not bypass your "auto-connect" option in your dashboard.... If xbox live does not connect the update will not happen...

TheCovenant
09-29-2004, 11:21 AM
wierd.

Im liking lucas less and less, to the point where, uh, i dont like him at all anymore. The star wars trilogy dvd was one of the biggest upsets ever.

Spaztic
09-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Just for your info all the newer games have the files default.xbe, dashupdate.xbe and update.xbe on the disc. They do nothing.

Peepers
09-29-2004, 01:47 PM
It's just sneaky and wrong to do an auto-update on a DVD. I can understand a game doing this, but not DVD's.

Brutus
09-29-2004, 03:46 PM
Or actually they're Crappy New Beginnings going back in time... But, yea. THey're sure crappy. the 1st one especially.
Not that I've seen them, I just know they're really crappy!!!! :cuss:
Yeah, OK... I HATED the 1st (4th) one. While the Second one started to get better, it still sucked. I SERIOUSLY had to fast forward. I wouldn't have finished the thing if I hadn't.

jelgiad
09-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Or actually they're Crappy New Beginnings going back in time... But, yea. THey're sure crappy. the 1st one especially.

Apparently you havent seen or heard about the changes in the Trilogy DVD set, otherwise you would not have though he was talking about the prequels.

You can find out about it here. Or just look at my sig and you'll get the idea.
http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61470

Brutus
09-29-2004, 06:42 PM
Apparently you havent seen or heard about the changes in the Trilogy DVD set, otherwise you would not have though he was talking about the prequels.

Ohhhhh.... Interesting. Sorry if I bashed someone's old favorite movie. Seriously.

But if it helps, you know I was talking about Episode I, right?

Unreal
09-29-2004, 07:40 PM
I was wondering what it was doing when I put the demo in and it had the loading screeen. I should check to see if I can get to the dashboard through the 480p inputs my Xbox is in now. The dashboard is in 480i and I have to change the cables everytime I want to access it.

BananaMan
09-29-2004, 08:31 PM

holy crap dude, they messed up big time (refering to your sig) :cuss: glad i have the old vhs's ;)

Nameless
09-29-2004, 08:50 PM
I dont have Live, so will it still update my dash? Update it to what?

BCan
10-01-2004, 08:28 PM
I believe it is bypassing some of the security fetures since it was written as a DVD-9 type DVD, and not an XBOX game DVD.

This is not the first DVD to do this, but probably the highest selling one.

Variation-XBA
10-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Hope it detects mods and ban's their LIVE :D

Peepers
10-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Hope it detects mods and ban's their LIVE :D

Fewer cheaters would be a good thing...