PDA

View Full Version : Playing Halo with keyboard and mouse ON THE XBOX!

BigBadLuc
10-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Hey guys.

As this been posted before?

Linky : http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/smartjoy-frag-adapters-ps2-on-ps2-or-xbox-022604.php

Bakeman
10-06-2004, 04:53 PM
interesting.. I wonder how the controls would be set up.

CMX Jedi
10-06-2004, 04:55 PM
AWSOME iv been wanting this for a while, but i own halo PC

Shadow20002
10-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Hmm...better still playing with controller.

BananaMan
10-06-2004, 05:29 PM
this will ruin live if enough people buy it. because mouse/keyboard is easier to aim with. but i still like my blue s better.

Reclaimer
10-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Bunch of cheating ass mofos..

You want to play a console game, then play the damn console. You want to play a computer game, then play your computer.

Leave the seperation alone.

Peepers
10-06-2004, 07:01 PM
I hope these don't work. To be on an even playing field, we all need to be on gamepads.

m4oH
10-06-2004, 07:04 PM
I hope these don't work. To be on an even playing field, we all need to be on gamepads.
Agreed, I prefere my DUKE controller over a keyboard but I know that if keyboards where to be used over LIVE then it would be cheap :bang:

FuNkY mOnK
10-06-2004, 08:29 PM
The controller is fine relax everyone, haven’t you guys had enough experience yet to rip a new A-hole with the controller? jeez it's been almost three years now. Besides you can't play FPS at the convenient of being comfortable on the couch with the mouse and keyboard, that’s where the 9 foot cord comes in. I once thought the same thing but it’s all second nature now...Bring it on. ;)

l Maximus l
10-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Go ahead and use your keyboard, I'll smoke your ass with my controller with Halo 2 ;)

Reclaimer
10-06-2004, 09:47 PM
The whole point is that XBL is meant to provide a level playing field for all players only diferentiated by skill.

Keyboard and mice just sways that field in one direction.
There's enough FPS games on the PC market that you shouldn't have the urge to get on XBL and use it.
Want to play Halo? Instead of buying that thing, just get Halo PC. There's your keyboard and mouse.

l Maximus l
10-06-2004, 10:08 PM
The whole point is that XBL is meant to provide a level playing field for all players only diferentiated by skill.

Keyboard and mice just sways that field in one direction.
There's enough FPS games on the PC market that you shouldn't have the urge to get on XBL and use it.
Want to play Halo? Instead of buying that thing, just get Halo PC. There's your keyboard and mouse.

I couldn't agree more. But, if you think about it, if this gadget truly does work, I believe that there will be only a handful of people using the keyboard/mouse method of play relative to how many XBL subscribers.

And, if anyone finds out who they are, they will likely be barred from joining many games after a while.

This really irritates me in another way, too. Let's say I'm playing Halo 2 over XBL and kicking some major ass. It would irritate the hell out of me to have to hear people lie and accuse me of using a keyboard and mouse when I'm not. Know what I mean?

JJaX
10-06-2004, 10:23 PM
The controller is fine relax everyone, haven’t you guys had enough experience yet to rip a new A-hole with the controller? jeez it's been almost three years now. Besides you can't play FPS at the convenient of being comfortable on the couch with the mouse and keyboard, that’s where the 9 foot cord comes in. I once thought the same thing but it’s all second nature now...Bring it on. ;)

Guess you never got good at a PC FPS game...

Mouse and Keyboard will run circles around ANYONE using a controller. PERIOD.

This will ruin the halo 2 XBL experience for sure.

BananaMan
10-06-2004, 10:24 PM
You can tell who they are, because they won't have voice.

Also, how the hell will they configure the buttons?

Variation-XBA
10-07-2004, 12:47 AM
I'll pass, playing with KB/M sucked on the PC version anyways... why ruin the good version? :P

Reclaimer
10-07-2004, 02:21 AM
I'll pass, playing with KB/M sucked on the PC version anyways... why ruin the good version? :P

I know what you mean.. after playing Halo on the xbox for so long, it took forever to get used to doing it with the keyboard. I just wanted to get back to the Xbox. The sole reason why I liked Halo:PC was because of the new maps, that one new warthog and banshees in the game. They could have kept the flamethrower I wasn't impressed.
I tried to use a joypad similiar to an xbox controller since the game accomodates them but it just wasn't the same thing. I was screwed.

If I never played Halo on the Xbox, it would have been a different story.

FuNkY mOnK
10-07-2004, 05:48 AM
Guess you never got good at a PC FPS game...

Mouse and Keyboard will run circles around ANYONE using a controller. PERIOD.

This will ruin the halo 2 XBL experience for sure.

I've played plenty of PC FPS Doom,Quake,Unreal and yes the mouse and keyboard is very accurate but that has all changed, new tools new rules. I never said the controller will be better then the mouse and keyboard but with 3+ years using the controller I'm sure it's no slouch to many of us. Some players will say playing PGR2 with a wheel is better. You decide.

SoundX
10-07-2004, 11:44 AM
If someone is a dedicated PC Gamer, you can't blaim them if they want to use a Keyboard and Mouse on a console. It feels natural to them. And in the end, everyone can do what the hell they like. No matter what anyone else says.

If someone wants to buy this new gadget then let them buy it. Any actualy skilled gamer will still smoke them, pad or no pad. Aiming may be easier, but using a keyboard to move will be harder with just a 4 way system.

They both have their ups and downs. In the end I don't believe it will make much of a difference. And I also don't believe this thing works.

SoundX
10-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Edit: Sorry, Double Post

revernd
10-07-2004, 02:17 PM
makes winning on the controller all the more sweeter...

Spaztic
10-07-2004, 04:49 PM
My friend was telling me about this yesterday. I am sorry but that really sucks, keyboard and mouse will ownz controller! Looks like anyone that wants to play competitivly will be forced to buy the keyboard and mouse. That sukz

FuNkY mOnK
10-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Shaggy your avatar is very disturbing.

FB-Gollum
10-07-2004, 06:57 PM
Man, this is terrible if it catches on. One of trhe things I love about console gaming is the "equality factor" (as I like to call it). Everyone (outside of the type of TV you have) is using the exact same thing. Therefore we are all equal and only skill separates the winners from the losers. With Keyboard and mouse you now suddenly have issues like key binds, and the inherent superiority of aiming. If you think you can match a mouse with a controller you're kidding yourself. Seriously, see how many windows you can open and close vs. your accuracy with a controller, it isn't even close. Sigh. This is a line I really hope doesn't get crossed.

Halo sucked on PC, why? Because it was TOO EASY.

Czm21x
10-08-2004, 08:49 AM
It's about time that consoles got a mouse and keyboard.

Casper
10-08-2004, 10:02 AM
I have to look into this - I don't think you can use it on a standard console, being that it would need the drivers for the mouse - how are you supposed to adjust the sensitivity??

LynxFX
10-08-2004, 10:52 AM
The world champion Quake III player took the gold using a controller. Mouse and Keyboard usually do own on the PC, but that doesn't mean you can't get very precise with a controller.

I would love a keypad and mouse for the xbox. Don't need a full keyboard because that is just a bunch of wasted keys. :) Probably won't be a viable option for the Xbox though. I expect the Xbox 2 to be able to take any keyboard and mouse though since MS is trying to integrate the PC gaming world and the Xbox world.

Chewy
10-08-2004, 10:57 AM
mmmmussstttt reeessiiistttt .............

Wow, this would be a way to at least be able to compete on those FPSs. I have spend all of my time playing those on the computer, so when I play one with a controller, it just feels unatural. I can't aim well, and tend to just flail around. I am just going to make like I never saw this.

*runs out of thread

jschelm
10-08-2004, 02:29 PM
I don't think you guys have anything to worry about. There is absolutely nothing built into the game to allow this kind of thing (Halo 2 might be different but I doubt it). There is no way to map keys etc... If MS sold it I would say Halo 2 will be compatible, but Lik Sang....Nope.

This thing is geared towards one group - people running Linux on their XBox.

SPARTAN VI
10-09-2004, 04:06 AM
If someone wants to buy this new gadget then let them buy it. Any actualy skilled gamer will still smoke them, pad or no pad. Aiming may be easier, but using a keyboard to move will be harder with just a 4 way system.

No way. If I had a keyboard and mouse on Halo 2, I'll be unstoppable. I'd be willing to wager 90% of the time, a kb/m user will annihilate anyone using a controller... even Maxy here.

Anyhow, I don't see how the peripheral will work. How would you bind your keys?

FuNkY mOnK
10-09-2004, 05:41 AM
No way. If I had a keyboard and mouse on Halo 2, I'll be unstoppable. I'd be willing to wager 90% of the time, a kb/m user will annihilate anyone using a controller... even Maxy here.

Anyhow, I don't see how the peripheral will work. How would you bind your keys?
Bungi knew the limitations and lag with the controller so they incorporated a more forgiving threshold for aiming. Controllers are not in the dark here. Be careful very careful, for what you don't know may kill you. Besides On November 9th we all have one thing on our minds and it ani't Keyboards and mice. ;)

yall
10-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Holy Crybabies Batman!

This whole "level playing field" is nonsense. If your skills can't match up to someone using a keyboard/mouse combo then my suggestion would be to practice more or get your own keyboard/mouse setup.

Next thing you know, people will be complaining about someone using a Mad Cat controller with turbo buttons.

And like revernd said, if you do own someone when using the controller, then you are the "better" man for it. At least by your logic anyway...

nrg_remix
10-12-2004, 01:10 AM
it takes the whole purpose of playing an xbox console by using a damn keyboard and mouse!

SoundX
10-12-2004, 11:56 AM
it takes the whole purpose of playing an xbox console by using a damn keyboard and mouse!

Why does it do that?

Just wondering...

OppiumNitrates
10-13-2004, 02:12 PM
This really irritates me in another way, too. Let's say I'm playing Halo 2 over XBL and kicking some major ass. It would irritate the hell out of me to have to hear people lie and accuse me of using a keyboard and mouse when I'm not. Know what I mean?

Kinda like being accused of cheating at Halo when playing on XBC, it's like yeah what ever man if thats the excuse of the week.

But I counldn't agree more, the controlls were great in Halo part of what makes the game so great. Besides the keyboard vs controller arguement has been done so many times I don't even know what to say about it there will always be Jackholes trying to say "This is better then that", which is all an opinion anyway. . .

Althouth everyone on XBL should be using a controller IMO

# 1 Stunner
10-13-2004, 02:29 PM
this will work easily, of anyone who knows how to bind ur keys from the old wolfenstein hack days on xbl they will pull this off easily, i just hope it doesnt catch on...

thatdude222
10-13-2004, 02:36 PM
You can tell who they are, because they won't have voice.

Also, how the hell will they configure the buttons?they could plug in a controller, lug the mic into that, then use the mic with the kleybaord and mouse in the other slot, couldnt they?

thatdude222
10-13-2004, 02:38 PM
it takes the whole purpose of playing an xbox console by using a damn keyboard and mouse!not really, my comp sucks too much to be able to play halo pc, counter-strike source, etc. an xbox provides a way to play these without worrying about system specs.

{FLaX}I.C.A.
10-13-2004, 02:41 PM
I dont think a keyboard and mouse is any better than a controller, It all depends on what the gamer prefers and masters.