PDA

View Full Version : Gonna buy an "Xbox"

ScorpionX
10-11-2004, 05:28 PM
So I'm going to buy the Microsoft Xbox soon, I am very excited. :cheers:

I don't care if it is new or used, so there is a few places I've looked. First Ebay, but people always seem to jack up the price so I probably won't get one there. I've looked at EBgames/Gamestop, and they sell refurbished (what does that mean?) ones for $119 (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/216616.asp) and factory reconditioned for $129 (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/218195.asp). Is there any place that sells them cheaper, or should I just buy one of those from EBgames?

:cheers:

Ghost
10-11-2004, 05:29 PM
refurbished means that it was sent back to microsoft and they fixed it. the other one im not sure, but i bought a refurbished xbox and it is really good, works great.

LTM360
10-11-2004, 09:50 PM
woah woah waoh, back it up back it up... You didn't have an Xbox for all 1,800 posts of yours???

I would just buy new for the sake of having a system thats disk drive won't jack up on you.

AlphaRaptor
10-11-2004, 11:49 PM
I agree with LTM, just get a new one. Its worth the extra $50-$20, trust me.

David Luckey
10-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Yeah...the reason xboxen are usually sold off in the first place is because the owners were starting to get DDE's. Just get a new one, you won't regret it (as you will if you buy a used one that may crap out on you)

nrg_remix
10-12-2004, 01:07 AM
coming from a ps2 junkie, im thinking of switching to xbox cause of the better games, getting xbox like tomorrow, but im wondering if you had any problems with the system?

David Luckey
10-12-2004, 01:46 AM
I have had no problembs with my system, I have had it for a few years.

www.xboxaddict.com/charts <-- top 100 xbox games (according to our fellow XBA members, and staffers)

You will find most of these to your liking, and will enjoy most-if not all- of them.

Just make sure you get a new xbox, and if you have surround sound, use it...if you have s-vid or hi-def/hi-res/480/whatever, go ahead and get the adaptor for your tv, you won't regret it.

If you can get XBL, it is worth it.

Variation-XBA
10-12-2004, 02:27 AM
How do you not have an "Xbox" already? 0_o

Shadow20002
10-12-2004, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the underworld of Xbox!

AlBoogy
10-12-2004, 09:00 AM
woah woah waoh, back it up back it up... You didn't have an Xbox for all 1,800 posts of yours???

I would just buy new for the sake of having a system thats disk drive won't jack up on you.

Forget the posts. Hes been here since the beginning of 2002. WTF?

Whisper
10-12-2004, 09:06 AM
WHY YOU HAVE NO XBOX BEEN HERE LONG TIME?

Casper
10-12-2004, 09:10 AM
I think he had one already, just not sure if it was a legit one though.

Max33
10-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Got cronik?

Luigis_Angel930
10-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Good luck. The new ones are probably better but if you get a pre-owned one then you have saves from the other people and songs already on there (that is if they didn't delete them all). When I got mine it already had Halo saves and Bond Nightfire saves and a few others on there so it was pretty cool. The refurb'd ones are good. I like the pre-owned ones because you get a better deal, if it craps out on you, you can always take it back. Believe me I work at EB. :) Either way the xbox is a great thing to have.

And btw. what time is the yanks red sox game on tonight? I want to root for the sox. :) :P

l Maximus l
10-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Bwahahaha....ScorpionX owns an XBox...I've played with him numerous times on XBConnect and he is a solid Halo gamer.

Regosnot
10-15-2004, 04:52 PM
My Xbox with the crappy disk drive was stolen so I'm getting the new holiday bundle.

ScorpionX
10-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Today I pciked up a new Xbox and reserved Halo 2 :cool:

My gamertag is: xXSc0rPi0nXx (those are both zeros)

:cool:

Reclaimer
10-16-2004, 01:00 AM
Good job... OK, I see what the deal was.

Anyway.. Don't ever buy a refurbished unit. Depending on who you buy it from.. it doesn't always means it went back to Microsoft. It usually goes back to a company contracted by the store that does the work Microsoft recommends.
It gets turned on, it plays a game and a music CD, usually that's it. Plus it gets cleaned up and it gets a new serial number generated through a contact with MS.

A buddy of mine got a refurbed Xbox and when he opened the tray for the first time, a Jay-Z CD was in the tray. No crap, I was there when he bought it and plugged it in.

He got it from EB and we called them on it and they explained what sort of happens.
That same Xbox crapped out the next month.

In short, refurbished models are subject to no real standard of inspection. Secondly, their used for a reason - Someone else's problem and now it's yours to keep.