PDA

View Full Version : Broken Xbox and saved games

zippedupmonkey
10-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Ok, I am sitting at my friend's house and he is trying to fix his xbox, this is the second time that it has overheated and the cpu's heatsink burnt out somehow, causing the cpu to fry itself. We are thinking about getting another box b/c we doubt we can fix it, but he is now concerned about the saved games, I was wondering if there was anyway to transfer the files over to the new box. I was thinking about finding a program that would read the harddrive and then be able to copy them over. And if not is there a way to back up his saves? He bought a memory card, but something bad happened to that a long time ago and now refuses to get another one. Any ideas would be great.

severd hed
10-15-2004, 10:37 PM
what do you mean the heatsink burnt out? heatsinks dont burn out....they are just piece of alluminum.

if the xbox doesnt boot, you are pretty much screwed when it comes to getting your saved games. if it booted, you could copy them to memory card..but other than that, they are gone. the xbox hard drive is locked using a unique code generated by that xbox. putting it into another xbox would not work, since it couldnt unlock it. not even with a chip. you're only hope is to get the xbox to boot long enough to copy them to a memory card.

Reclaimer
10-16-2004, 12:54 AM
And that is correct. You won't be able to do anything unless you can get the Xbox to boot up and go to the dashboard.

Any other recovery method would require a modded Xbox, but we have a strict no modding discussion policy here at XBA.

I was reading your description of the problem and by judgement it sounds like the CPU cooked off. There is no way to repair a cooked CPU.

Frink
10-17-2004, 12:57 AM
Well, there is a perfectly legal way to retrieve all your saved games...if you are incredibly good at soldering. If you deslolder the EEPROM chip on the Xbox motherboard and transfer it over to the other Xbox you will be able to swap the hard drive even though it is locked. It's an incredibly risky procedure though, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Reclaimer
10-17-2004, 06:59 AM
Well, there is a perfectly legal way to retrieve all your saved games...if you are incredibly good at soldering. If you deslolder the EEPROM chip on the Xbox motherboard and transfer it over to the other Xbox you will be able to swap the hard drive even though it is locked. It's an incredibly risky procedure though, so I wouldn't recommend it.

That has to me the most pain in the ass way I've seen.

Shadow20002
10-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Wow, you must be playing it all days long.

Frink
10-17-2004, 03:05 PM
That has to me the most pain in the ass way I've seen.If your mobo is fried to the point of not booting, and you want to keep your hard drive, it's the only choice.

severd hed
10-18-2004, 11:12 AM
yeah..that is the only way..even if you put the drive in a modded xbox, it still wouldnt be able to unlock it. the only known method is to swap that chip (which is very dangerous..and will probably result in the death of the new xbox as well)

there is a possibility that you could send it to MS and they may be able to salvage it..but i dont know.

Falls
10-19-2004, 02:26 AM
he probably didnt fry the cpu, more likely is the MCPX, which has no HSF at all... its very possible, to remove the eeprom chip, and it wouldnt very dangerous, atleast, to someone that knew what they were doing anyway...

CMX Jedi
10-21-2004, 10:57 AM
is it possible to put the hard drive in your computer than transfer the saved games to a memory card useing AR?

severd hed
10-21-2004, 11:38 AM
no. the hard drive is locked. even if it wasnt, it uses a different format, that your PC wont be able to read.

you are pretty much screwed

CMX Jedi
10-21-2004, 11:57 AM
no. the hard drive is locked. even if it wasnt, it uses a different format, that your PC wont be able to read.

you are pretty much screwed
than he is screwed

Reclaimer
10-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Don't lean this thread towards a modding discussion. We don't tolerate that here. We can not allow modding discussions at this site so watch what you are saying in regards to this situation.

severd hed
10-21-2004, 09:14 PM
im not trying to turn it into a modding discussion. i was just saying thatthere really isnt a solutin and even modding wont solve this problem

Dirtbike
10-21-2004, 10:24 PM
if i were u i would just swap eeprom chips and if u mess up the new xbox just go take it back. if u mess up the old, then it was screwed anyway and worth a try

Reclaimer
10-21-2004, 10:26 PM
But the problem is that now we've gone into chip swapping and all that.
This is what I was trying to avoid.