PDA

View Full Version : Official Xbox wireless link

Xebo
10-17-2004, 02:25 PM
This is a question to our gamers in the west!

Ok, America, whats the deal with Microsoft's official wireless link for xbox? What do you get for your money? What I've seen so far for US$86.95 (amazon.com) is a black box with an aerial. Is it simply a link to an existing wireless network, or does it also come with a box which plugs into your network card in the back of your PC thus enabling a link to your broadband?

Reclaimer
10-17-2004, 07:03 PM
What you get is the transmitter unit that sets on the TV. It plugs into the ethernet port on the Xbox and it relays to an existing wireless infrastructure network. It supports the "B" and "G" types.
You can use in your network, or it can be set up to play in an "Ad-hoc" mode for system link games with other Xboxs with transmitters.

The MN-740 Wifi adapter can accomodate 128bit Wep protocol as well as a network that does not broadcast it's SSID or channel number.

It comes with a setup CD that plays in your Xbox to update your dashboard to set up wireless mode. From there you set up the WEP key and and all that. It can autoconfigure everything but the WEP key.

There is already a two part bios and firmware update that can be downloaded that improves reception, guards against connection drop outs, changes the appearances of the indicator lights on the adapter and it improves the WEB key function.

As you can tell, I have this unit and it was fairly shaky at first but after the upgrade it works like a charm. My only suggestion is to make sure that a computer CRT monitor is not between the wireless router and the MN-740 or you signal drops.

But I like it and I always use it.

By the way, welcome to XBA.

igweexslayer
10-17-2004, 09:06 PM
yea tht one works awesome but syslink offers one for around the same price :cheers:

Xebo
10-18-2004, 06:45 AM
Thanx for your help. The wireless link hasn't been released in the UK as of yet but I don't already have a network set up so it wouldn't be of any use to me. What is the best value for money wireless network set available in the UK?

Reclaimer
10-18-2004, 07:09 AM
That would be hard for me to say considering I live in the US.
What do you have availible to you over there? As far as I know, there are 3 maybe 4 wireless Xbox solutions availible here in the US, not counting the Microsoft version.
The ones I've seen.. are generic wi-fi adapters for any game console with an enthernet port.

Take a look at an electronics store in your area and tell us what they have.