PDA

View Full Version : WRECKLESS Hands on with IGN.com!!! YES!!!

XboxGamers
01-31-2002, 10:12 PM
UPDATE!!!! GOT A REAL HANDS ON!!

This game is going to kick some @ss!!!

They change the tire images on the right. COOL!!
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/wreckless/coolwreck3.jpg

Hands on with Wreckless: The Yakuza Mission

We got our grubby little paws on the coolest Xbox game yet!

January 31, 2002

Hop into your Delorean or (for those with a love of all things Barbie) your pink dune buggy and put the pedal to the floor. I've been playing Wreckless: The Yakuza Mission all day and I have to say, it's my favorite Xbox title to date. The game is just dripping with fun. Wreckless asks you to perform senseless violence (is there such a thing as sensible violence?) with one of over a dozen cars. You don't have guns, just your car to abuse, bashing into just about anything in your path. Almost everything you see can be run into and crushed.

The game is God **** pretty. Yes, the graphics are so phenomenally beautiful they require minor swear words to describe. The game runs fast and smooth with real-time lighting effects on everything. Sunlight reflects off office windows and sparkles on the water. The enormous city looks as real as I've ever seen in a game. I can't possibly hype up the graphics enough. Oddly, the cut-scenes aren't nearly was well rendered. But you won't be gawking at the cut-scenes for long anyway, the real game is in the streets.

Missions vary from simple things like chasing down Yakuza cars and crashing into them till they go boom to hunting down and destroying various Dim Sum stands throughout the city. Wreckless is mostly about bashing things with your car. And man is that fun. I cannot get enough of driving along the sidewalk, watching frightened pedestrians run for their lives as I take out mail boxes, fire hydrants, and pesky guard rails. The physics are realistic. You can feel the bumps as you climb the stairs with your old school taxi. As you crash your way through Hong Kong, your car takes damage. It won't be long before you're without a hood, doors, or trunk. No matter how much abuse you place on your car, it will never blow up, never die, never surrender. So smash away!

Controls for Wreckless are as simple as can be. Right Trigger for gas, Left Trigger for brake, B to kick it into reverse, and the Left Analogue to steer.

Wreckless has over a dozen cars to play with. The coolest that I've uncovered is the Delorean. It's got rockets on the back, just as it appeared in Back to the Future. I haven't figured out how to go back in time yet, but I'll keep trying till I'm back in wonderful 1985. Other cars include a tank, an armored dune buggy, and a Hong Kong-style police car.

Did I mention one of the characters you play looks like Elton John? There's nothing like tooling along in a Delorean with Sir Elton sitting shotgun. Especially since none of his crappy music plays during the game. Instead you get a techno beat that works well with the feel of the game. The game has some mad style, with replays that are worth watching. Several different types of cameras switch back and forth during replays. At one moment you are watching a grainy black and white video and the next the view's switched to an infrared camera and finally to a crisp view. It may sound a bit weird, but it makes for an entertaining replay.

I strongly suggest you budget fifty bucks for Wreckless. Skip a meal a day for a week if you have to. Search through the cushions of your couch for wads of cash or even a few pennies. Every bit will help. You're gonna want this game. Look for our full review next week.

Wreckless: The Yakuza Mission is set to ship February 5.

--Hilary "I Flipped the Car Again" Goldstein

http://xbox.ign.com/news/41382.html

AlBoogy
01-31-2002, 10:34 PM
"The Yakuza Mission all day and I have to say, it's my favorite Xbox title to date."

Thats saying alot. I really hope they arent sugar coating the game because there are Wreckless ads all over their site. Regardless, this game looks like a winner.

Variation-XBA
02-01-2002, 03:05 AM
Please tell me there's just a Free Drive mode :D

jeah
02-01-2002, 03:24 AM
I've always wanted wreckless really bad, but then I was watching some clips of it and started thinking that maybe it wasn't going to be as good as I thought it was going to be. After reading this article, especially from ign, I think i will definitly put the dough down for it.

With no two player, I can't see the replay value being to good though.

Woocifer
02-01-2002, 11:27 AM
Peronally I think that hands-on there from Hilary is a joke. She sounds like a 12 year old talkin about video games. It's one thing to get excited over a video game because it's cool, but she's just coating this game with an insurmountable slab of bullsh*t.

Think about what she is saying...it's so cool to drive around the city and smash stuff with your car....I'm waiting for Beavis now to say heh heh yeah smash SMASH hehehehhe...... How boring could a game get?

I'm sure it is fun, and I'm sure it is a lot like Driver...but lets be realistic...all you do is drive and smash. If you can't hit the pedestrians then the game loses touch with giving you that psuedo reality. I want to be able to cause as much damage as possible, or even better(imagine this) try and have to do a mission WITHOUT hitting anyone on the streets.

All I've seen from this game is drive drive smash, smash smash drive....the previews show the guy purposely driving through a bunch of garbage just because huh huh it's cool huh....

I'd say rent it first.

Dennis

anthrax0r
02-01-2002, 11:29 AM
I would pick this game up on a launch day if it werent for the fact that there have been reviews stating its too short and easy (OXM). Though this is a definite rent, and if the replay value is high a possible purchase.

redrum237
02-01-2002, 03:55 PM
All I've seen from this game is drive drive smash, smash smash drive

What more could you want.:p

Frostberg
02-01-2002, 08:38 PM
If only I could have my own hands on...but anyway doesnt this game sound boring...I dont know much more than you go around hong kong and can destroy everything in sight with a variety of vehicles...that solunds fun, the first few times...but then it would seem like after destroying enough things and driving in shopping malls you wouldnt want to do it again...still sounds too max payneish for me...rental so far

SOVEREIGN2K2
02-01-2002, 08:51 PM
YO, wazup peeps, i know a lot of folks will disagree with me on this, but i dont think that WRECKLESS is all what its hyped up to be!..i mean dont get me wrong game looks tyte, but what the hell is the point of having another game like DRIVER on a great system like the XBOX? could somone pleeezzzzz explain to me whats so great about this dam game, i mean dam everybodys' talkin about this ***** and all i see are friggin cars crashing into buildings?!? Basicly what the hell is the game about? How does it play? Whats the point of the game?

aight ya'll, HOLLA BACK!

JAH BLESS, ZEEN

-SOVEREIGN:mad:
-------------------------------------------------------------
-THE PUS-2 IS JUST A SYSTEM

-THE L@MECUBE IS A WASTE OF A FRANCHISE

-THE XBOX IS A PLEATHERER OF GAMES!!

- AND ADDICTS, TO THESE TRUTHS DO WE HOLD STEADFAST

Frostberg
02-01-2002, 08:56 PM
I dont disagree with ya, im with you on that one...the movies all look interesting, but after 10 minutes of running into things its gonna be collecting dust