PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article concerning console wars on msnbc

anthrax0r
02-01-2002, 07:46 AM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/697375.asp?0na=x229M3m2-

It basically goes over the progress of the past couple months and how each console is shaping up in terms of games and sales. Though one really interesting tidbit would be the following....

“If Nintendo cannot get its numbers up, particularly in Japan, we may need to reconsider keeping Resident Evil exclusive to GameCube,” Gardner recently admitted in a recent interview with MSNBC.com.

Could this mean the RE series also coming to XBox? I hope so :D

Ninja Scroll
02-01-2002, 09:02 AM
WTF, OMG!!! Im gonna have to check into this one!

note to ninja: if this is true ninja must reconsider buying a GC,.....
.....wait a minute!........ Wrestlemania 18 is still exclusive to GC,.
.. edit note to self!:D :D :D

Ninja Scroll
02-01-2002, 09:20 AM
Yo anthrax0r, mad props to you kid! Thanks for the link to this deep article on the state of the videogame industry.

I recommend everyone to check out da link anthrax0r was kind enough to hook us up with!:cool:

Ninja Scroll
02-01-2002, 09:32 AM
Um,.......... did I mean this is a must read?!:D

Heyyoudvd
02-01-2002, 09:45 AM
I can't believe anyone's actually taking that article seriously.... :rolleyes:

It's MSNBC. Microsoft wrote an article saying that people think Xbox is the best. I wonder why.... :rolleyes:

Obviously, everyone on this board is taking it seriously, however, if Nintendo claimed it was the best, or Sony claimed it was the best, then's they'd be biased, right? :rolleyes:

Ninja Scroll
02-01-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Heyyoudvd

It's MSNBC. Microsoft wrote an article saying that people think Xbox is the best. I wonder why.... :rolleyes:

Obviously, everyone on this board is taking it seriously, however, if Nintendo claimed it was the best, or Sony claimed it was the best, then's they'd be biased, right? :rolleyes:

Dude, you never read the article if your making comment like that!MSN said nothing biased in the article and the whole thing was based mostly apone industry leaders.
Stop making things up heyyoudvd, you sound pretty silly:rolleyes:

BiohazardEHW
02-01-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Heyyoudvd

Dude, there's a difference between saying your the best and actually BEING the best...and Xbox IS the best.

Shadow Fox
02-01-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by anthrax0r
http://www.msnbc.com/news/697375.asp?0na=x229M3m2-
Could this mean the RE series also coming to XBox? I hope so :D Somehow I knew when I read this article yesterday, that someone would post here bits and pieces, and not the whole story. Here's the rest, RIGHT AFTER the quote anthrax made:
" The good news for both Capcom and Nintendo is that in Japan, GameCube sales have improved.
“As you may recall, we delayed our launch a few weeks [last November],” says outgoing Nintendo executive vice president of sales and marketing, Peter Main. “My hope was to pick up the quantity from 400,000 up to 700,000, which we did. But hidden in that decision was the hope that if there was any softness in the Japanese market, the extra weeks would allow them to divert GameCube production from the Japanese model to the model for our market.”
In an interview with MSNBC.com held two days before his departure from Nintendo, Main admitted that part of the reason Nintendo of America delayed the launch of GameCube was to take advantage of the weak Japanese market.
“Even though their launch was incredibly soft up through October, Mr. Yamauchi [Nintendo Company, Limited (NCL) chairman Hiroshi Yamauchi] made a call to us in October and said that he was going to bet that the release of the games Super Smash Bros. Melee and Pikmin would resuscitate what had been a very, very soft launch. And that, in fact, took place. Between launch in September and early November, they had shipped just about 400,000 units and the sell-through was about 280,000. It exploded in November.”'Re on another console simply just won't happen. Sorry guys...;)

Even more interesting is the mention of "reconsidering" the Cel-Shaded Zelda...while this may be good so all the shallow gamers that wanted a sequel to Ocarina of Time instead of a whole new chapter in LOZ, I find it horrible if this carries through. That means that Miyamoto-san gave up his dream because of mainstream kids who've moreorless never even played the first game....:mad:

And that my friends, is an example of how fanboyism and goth-geeks' sheer numbers can destroy the industry. But who cares? We all want mindless, no challenge, blood-and-guts games, right??:rolleyes:

-Official Ninja of GameTavern (and NDose)

StudioAlex
02-01-2002, 10:57 AM
I agree. Miyamoto just may be the best game developer out there (I'd put him on a plateau of excellece with others like Naka and Suzuki rather than choose "the best") and he doesn't need to worry about some morons screaming and crying. I though cel shading Zelda would be a good idea. Most people just can't appreciate a little unconvention. They want everything to look like metal gear solid....

anthrax0r
02-01-2002, 11:26 AM
I suppose you're correct Shadow, but I couldnt help but figure its a possibility when i saw this statement was made in a 'recent' interview. Perhaps its not as recent as some would hope :D

Ninja Scroll
02-01-2002, 11:55 AM
Shadow is just defending a console he knows in his hart is 2nd best to the overwhelming power of da Xbox!

Shadow, just except the truth and facts. GC is no where in Xbox's league.
I myself am gonna get a GC so dont throw those biased blows at me junior. Just speaking the truth.

Da numbers dont lie, in sales and in stats;)

Shadow Fox
02-01-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
Shadow is just defending a console he knows in his hart is 2nd best to the overwhelming power of da Xbox!

Shadow, just except the truth and facts. GC is no where in Xbox's league.
I myself am gonna get a GC so dont throw those biased blows at me junior. Just speaking the truth.

Da numbers dont lie, in sales and in stats;) Ninja Scroll, you disappointed me by making this post- I really didn't think you were like this.

"Accepting" the truth and facts- Xbox outsold GameCube in US. OK. PS2 outsold both of them. Does that mean GCN and Xbox are nowhere in PS2's league? Afterall, the numbers don't lie. Why the banter Ninja Scroll, you normally don't post senseless like this; and calling me biased is like calling every US president honest...

For one, I prefer arcade machines to consoles anyday. One advantage of that is that I've already beaten VF4 with everyone except Aoi, and I've totally mastered T4, while PS2-ers have to wait. So don't give me that biased nonsense unless there's an arcade game we're talking about here.

"Overwhelming power of da Xbox"??? I doubt I've seen what that is. Have you?? I've just seen some good games on it, just like every other console I own. Fact is, all three consoles sold waay more than previously concieved here, and RE will continue to be a GameCube exclusive until Capcom sees fit. And I'm "just speaking the truth".

Ninja Scroll
02-01-2002, 12:33 PM
Shadow,.... your surprised at me? Im only keeping it real my fellow addict comrade.
Im not gonna debate with you cause in that case I should join you in da "debate forums"! Na mean!
And I dont post in there junior!;)

Shadow Fox
02-01-2002, 12:40 PM
Shadow,.... your surprised at me? Im only keeping it real my fellow addict comrade.
Im not gonna debate with you cause in that case I should join you in da "debate forums"! Na mean!
And I dont post in there junior!;) C'mon now, folk- you know that post was mighty low of you. I understand and appreciate your efforts in keeping XBA morale high in the general board, but I'm sure I've made no "dent" in this forum's ultra-happy nature.

Sure, I could be biased and say nothing bad about GameCube, and how it didn't suck balls in Japan until Smash DX came out, but then I would be lying. Not that I'd really care- neither Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo provide me with a bi-weekly paycheck, so why bash any particular company? That's how I see it, and I hope the rest of the "adults" here at XBA realize that too.

Ninja Scroll
02-01-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
C'mon now, folk- you know that post was mighty low of you. I understand and appreciate your efforts in keeping XBA morale high in the general board, but I'm sure I've made no "dent" in this forum's ultra-happy nature.

Sure, I could be biased and say nothing bad about GameCube, and how it didn't suck balls in Japan until Smash DX came out, but then I would be lying. Not that I'd really care- neither Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo provide me with a bi-weekly paycheck, so why bash any particular company? That's how I see it, and I hope the rest of the "adults" here at XBA realize that too.

Well my friend, atleast you know where im coming from when it comes to keeping da peace in da forum dat Ninja made famous!;)
Im not biased toward no company, though I will never support anything Sony. But even though you say things I feel are tilting a liiiiiiittle toward da big N, but it's all good;)
Also you said Capcom will still make Resident Evil exclusive for the GameCube? Dude, that's what fires me up. You say you are not pro Nintendo, but then you still put words in peoples mouths even though the dude just said in hte article they "may" have to reavaluate the RE series being exclusive to GC.
All im saying Shadow is keep it clean and honest. Cause some members will believe anything. Now I feel our group in da addict are the smartest most brightest on any board, but then there are the very few in here ya know.
So I, as well as a couple others in da addict will try to correct things we see that is not accurate or rumor filled. Dont be offended, just want things to stay respectable.;)

Shadow Fox
02-01-2002, 02:58 PM
Also you said Capcom will still make Resident Evil exclusive for the GameCube? Dude, that's what fires me up. You say you are not pro Nintendo, but then you still put words in peoples mouths even though the dude just said in hte article they "may" have to reavaluate the RE series being exclusive to GC.Maybe you missed the rest of the quote in my first post:
“If Nintendo cannot get its numbers up, particularly in Japan, we may need to reconsider keeping Resident Evil exclusive to GameCube,” Gardner recently admitted in a recent interview with MSNBC.com.This is the original quote from antrax, singled out, but not painting the whole picture. In the very next sentence, this is said:
The good news for both Capcom and Nintendo is that in Japan, GameCube sales have improved.This was the entire story; read it right. Then there's also articles from interviews more recent than this one (namely on IGN), that also confirm exclusitivity not only by one, but two Capcom programmers...;)

Believe me, Scroll- I know what I'm talking about here.

NonFanboy
02-05-2002, 03:42 AM
What a heated battle between Ninja Guy and Shadow Fox. Ok lets check the scores, Ninja Guy 0 Shadow Fox 4. But Ninja Guy still has a chance! Come back next week to find out if Ninja Guy can withstand Fox's pounding or if he's back to kidnapping presidents in cheesey 80's flicks. Erm seriously tho, Capcom has no plans of bringing the RE series to Xbox. Im not saying they never will bring it to Xbox, but it seems unlikely at the moment. Despite your beleifs Ninja Guy, Capcom doesnt share your thinking on Xbox, perticulerly when you said GC is not in Xbox's league.

Shadow Fox
02-07-2002, 03:38 PM
Also you said Capcom will still make Resident Evil exclusive for the GameCube? Dude, that's what fires me up. You say you are not pro Nintendo, but then you still put words in peoples mouths even though the dude just said in hte article they "may" have to reavaluate the RE series being exclusive to GC.
All im saying Shadow is keep it clean and honest. Cause some members will believe anything. Now I feel our group in da addict are the smartest most brightest on any board, but then there are the very few in here ya know.
So I, as well as a couple others in da addict will try to correct things we see that is not accurate or rumor filled. Dont be offended, just want things to stay respectable.;) No one believed me, so here's even more proof denouncing exclusitivity changes for GCN:

http://nintendo.cloudchaser.com/news/index.php?view=479

And if you want, you can follow the source of the link there- capcom.co.jp.

*flushes fanboy rumors*

Is that respectable, clean, and honest enough for ya, Scroll?:rolleyes:

l Maximus l
02-07-2002, 04:13 PM
Leave it to Shadow Fox to resurrect this dead post. :confused:

Shadow Fox
02-07-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
Leave it to Shadow Fox to resurrect this dead post. :confused: And these are the only forums I know of that call 2 day old posts "dead". Guess XBA has lots of threads a day...but why???

Azazel
02-07-2002, 05:06 PM
truest fact ever!

--“Xbox and PlayStation 2 have the same momentum at this point,” says Frank O’Connor, executive editor of the Official Xbox Magazine. “PlayStation 2 has the install base, and their software numbers are larger; but I’m still arguing that the quality [among PlayStation 2 games] is not what it should be.”

and this is with the Ps2's 1 year head start

NonFanboy
02-07-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by ty818
truest fact ever!

--“Xbox and PlayStation 2 have the same momentum at this point,” says Frank O’Connor, executive editor of the Official Xbox Magazine. “PlayStation 2 has the install base, and their software numbers are larger; but I’m still arguing that the quality [among PlayStation 2 games] is not what it should be.”

and this is with the Ps2's 1 year head start

You honestly think that Xbox has the same momentum as PS2? Granted I hate sony, but lets face it, they are in the lead and are still gaining. The Xbox mag is full of shyt. Mr O Conner can argue all he wants about PS2 software quality, but the truth is, they have alot of the best games out and there software titles will continue to grow. BTW, isnt this off topic?

Shadow Fox
02-07-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by NonFanboy

You honestly think that Xbox has the same momentum as PS2? Granted I hate sony, but lets face it, they are in the lead and are still gaining. The Xbox mag is full of shyt. Mr O Conner can argue all he wants about PS2 software quality, but the truth is, they have alot of the best games out and there software titles will continue to grow. BTW, isnt this off topic? nah, it's not off topic; actually this is a quote from the article; and everyone should take everything mentioned here with a grain of salt; judging from the ideas it's sparked...

{
if place_free(x+4,y) x += 4;
}

Oops, sorry about that (too much coding can kill you ;) ).