PDA

View Full Version : Steel Battalion...

severd hed
10-29-2004, 06:27 PM
a pre-owned steel battalion unit came into EB the other day..and it is $169. i am very tempted to go pick it up. with the GMR subscription, i save 10percent..so take $17 off..its down to $152. have any of you played it, and do you think i should go get it?

ScorpionX
10-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Way too much IMO... I'd get another system or something

severd hed
10-29-2004, 06:47 PM
it is alot for a game..but from a collector's stand point..it is hard to pass up.

i dont really need any other systems. i have 2 xboxes, two PS2s, a gamecube, gba SP, and a ton of older ones.

i dont really need it, and i know i will play it a few times and it will sit to the side like all of the other games i have. the controller will sit on the shelf next to my madcats universal racing wheel, and my X-arcade joystick...collecting dust.

i know this..yet for some reason, i want it. also, i know there are xbox-usb adapters so you can use xbox controllers on your PC...i wonder if this thing would work with that.

LTM360
10-29-2004, 10:29 PM
If you're a collector, I can't believe you havn't bought it yet. :)

As a game, I wouldn't buy it, though I was VERY tempted to (our EB got one pre-owned too), I didn't have, nor want to spend that kind of money though.

Variation-XBA
10-30-2004, 02:07 AM
Aye, if you collect, go get it now, or at least tell your friends that do collect.

If your a mech fan, there's really no better.

eskara
10-30-2004, 07:43 AM
The idea of using that controller (drools). If only you could use that on a game like mechassault....

severd hed
10-30-2004, 10:20 AM
i do like to collect games and gaming stuff. and thats why i really want this. but at the same time...i will be moving and changing jobs in about 3 weeks..so i really shouldnt spend the money. so if i get it, i will be putting it on my credit card and paying it off in a few payments. i know it wont get used much..but i am afraid i may not get an opportunity to pick it up agian.(at least not complete in the box)

i am a big gamer..but i am even more of a collector. lots of times when i buy games..i get them just to have them..not because i really want to play them. like, last night, i stopped at eb. there wasnt anything i really wanted to get..but i just felt the need to get more xbox games. i ended up picking up "the thing" and "oddworld: munch's oddysee" both of which were $9.99 pre owned. i havent even played them yet and very well may not for a while. but they were both games i have wanted to get for a while and just never did. now i have them in case i ever want to play them.

3 weeks ago, i picked up a PSOne. i already have a playstation..but i wanted one of the little ones. i played it once ot make sure it works, and now it sits in the back room with all of my other consoles. last week, i picked up the new slim PS2. i already have an old PS2, which i hardly ever use..but i just had to have one.

so from a collector's stand point, i really should get it. but with everything else going on..im not sure i should buy it. i understand that teh controller doesnt work with any other games...which really sucks. but would think that with a usb adaptor, it should be recognized on a PC.

if im going to get it, i should do it today to make sure it isnt purchased by someone else. im just not sure what i should do. by buying it, i would have a rare game that would be awesome for my collection, and would get me one step closer to my goal of 100 xbox games by the end of the year. ( i currently have 91) and by putting it on my credit card, it really wouldnt be taking away from my cash supply for moving. but i would be actually paying more for it since there would be interest and crap.

if i dont get it, i really lose nothing..but i may regret not getting it when i could.

they got it in a few months ago, new..and i almost bought it then..but i didnt and it was soon grabbed. i was just talking to my friend about it the other day how i almost bought it the last time...then yesterday i seen that whoever bought it traded it back in.. so do I pass it up again, now that i have another chance...at a lower price?/

Variation-XBA
10-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Worst case, buy it cheap, then ebay it for profit:)

severd hed
10-30-2004, 04:50 PM
bought it. i have 14 days to take it back if i dont like it. i just got the controller put together..this thing is amazing. too bad it cant be used for anything else...im still hoping it will work for PC gaming (someone had to make drivers for it)

i took pics, i'll post them later

well, i played it a little..but i am a bit dissapointed. there is not even a tutorial to go through. apparently you have to read the manual before even attempting to play it. it is impressive looking..but so far it isnt that much fun. i am hoping that after reading the manual it will make more sense. apparently if you try to walk and turn too fast, the damn thing will fall over. I am really starting to wonder if maybe i should have skipped it. oh well, i have 14 days..so i'll try it out and decid then if i still want to keep it.

EDIT: well, i looked through the manual..but there is really nothing there either...apparently you are just supposed to figure it out yourself...it is pretty frustrating so far...i keep getting killed by things i cant see.

severd hed
10-30-2004, 09:07 PM
after about 6 tries, i got through the first mission. im slowly picking up on what needs to be done....i just think the game could have benefitted from a training level or something. it is pretty fun though. there is no replaying a mission without consequences though. if you dont eject, your saved game is lost. if you do eject, you have to buy another mech before you can play the level again. so losing frequently just isnt an option. ( the first level you can try over as much as you want..but after that, you have to buy a new mech when your's is destroyed.

after i figured it out..i am glad i got it. although i wouldnt want to play it on a small TV. most of the screen is taken up with guages and stuff. it isnt bad on my projector..but i think it would be difficult to see on a small TV.

http://www.wrestlingvg.com/uploader/files/images/nick-steelbattalion.JPG

Variation-XBA
10-31-2004, 01:51 PM
Yup, there's the beast :) Enjoy!

Spaztic
11-02-2004, 09:34 AM
I must admit that game looks really cool....I would get it if I had some money to blow.