PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between System Link Cable and Ethernet Cable?

Variation-XBA
02-02-2002, 04:34 AM
Like it says, is there a difference? I cant seem to get 2 xbox direct connections to work on Halo with a regular Ethernet cable, or do I need the "System Link Cable" to play System to system without a hub?

wizkid918
02-02-2002, 08:13 AM
no you dont need the system link cable, you need a patch cable if you're going the lines of etherenet, it is an ethernet cable that has the wires flipped on one end, same price as an ethernet cable, a patch cable and system link are the same except system link costs twice as much

GokuX
02-02-2002, 10:01 AM
Go to your local PC shop and ask them to make U a "crossover cable." They'll know what U're talking about and U'll be all set. A regular ethernet cable won't work when connecting two Xbox's directly. To use a regular ethernet cable, U would need a hub as well as another cable. This setup would work for system link between two Xbox's but wouldn't be as fast transfer rate wise as a crossover cable.

Variation-XBA
02-03-2002, 08:21 AM
I sold out and bought the offical cable ;) heh

If I knew it needed a crosover for system link, I woulda gottem one from work ;\ Ah well...

addict733
02-03-2002, 08:59 AM
I got the microsoft cable last night. My brothers friend was supposed to come over with his xbox but my brother was like "no i dont want to hang out here." What a f****** F A G! So if i dont get use out my cable, im gonna slap him with it.

AvedisZ
02-03-2002, 01:20 PM
The Microsoft System Link cable is just a CAT 5E crossover cable. I heard a few guys on the Net say that a CAT 5 cable won't work, i think they are on crack.