PDA

View Full Version : The BattleGround

ThomasHun
08-01-2001, 12:52 PM
Here we will talk about all things bad about the gamecube/or xbox but if you wish to talk you better have proof.
Such as this:
look at the emotion in that guys face he really looks in pain

http://www.gamecubexl.com/previews/eternaldarkness/3.jpg

And here those flames look straight instead of wavy like real flames!?!
http://e3.nintendo.com/gallery/supersmashbros/images/ss16.jpg

do the drew
08-02-2001, 06:07 PM
qoute somone saying no kidde games on xbox? i see mto remember us saying the gamecube is almost all kiddie games and xbox is gonna be mostly mature games?

Aaron
08-02-2001, 09:48 PM
yknow, i just dont really care. I dont care how well a console does in japan, in canada, or europe. i also dont care how well the other console sells. all i care about is if i get a good gaming experience. just like my DC. i had it for 3 years. i feel i got my moneys worth. All we should worry about is if it is what WE want and not go with the crowd just cause its "cool"

-Aaron-

CodeScribe
08-02-2001, 11:13 PM
What I don't understand is why people think the GC is gonna do better then the N64 did. The GC is basically going to have the same types of games as the N64, which didn't do all that well compared to the PS. The majority of people wanted the games that were available on the PS. Following that line of reasoning, wouldn't it be safe to assume that the majority of people will still want the types of games that the PS2 has (and similarly, the Xbox)? Sure, the poor launch of the PS2 hurt Sony, but the orignal PS had a slow first year too.

CodeScribe
08-02-2001, 11:42 PM
So you're saying, if you make a console that's powerful, easy to program on, and has cheap development costs, it'll attract the developers that make the good games? And you're saying that is what the GC is. Well, you could say the same thing for the Xbox. It's also powerful, easy to program on, and has cheap development costs (even cheaper than the GC as the Xbox uses non-proprietary medium).

CodeScribe
08-03-2001, 12:47 AM
They may indeed only cost Nintendo 2 cents to produce, but for a third party developer to make a game for the GC, which uses proprietary discs, they have to buy the the discs from Nintendo. In the past this has turned MANY developers away from Nintendo. When you have to pay as much as 7 dollars more for each game sold, it can really add up. Would you really want to pay Nintendo 7 million dollars just to develop ONE game for their console?

And as far as ease of programming, I'm just going by what Xbox developers have said in interviews, which I'm assuming you are as well as I don't think you're developing any games for Nintendo. :D

Aaron
08-03-2001, 02:48 AM
Ah, they are aiming at 30fps, for the 4 player split screen battle, 60 fps has already been hit. I know this guy who works for digital anvil (based out of texas) they ran a Soldier Of Fortune test and pulled 2000 fps on the highest rez, which i think was 1280x1040, with all detail jacked to the max. The gamecube discs also hold 8 times less mind you, than the xbox's 8.5 gig DVD-9 discs. Plus, about the size of the xbox, yeah sure its quite big, but it will fit in a vcr space and it front loads, remember, the GC is 6 inches tall closed , now that wont work in a vcr slot unfortunately. Also, kudos to nintendo for finally dropping the cartridge. =)

-Aaron-

EIGamerzX
08-03-2001, 07:43 AM
30 fps is not bad AT ALL, there's no noticible slowdown.
think about a movie they run at 24fps do you think movie's run slow, and your point is even more lame cause there's lots of gc games that are targeted for 30fps

EIGamerzX
08-03-2001, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Percuvius

Actually the Nintendo disk isn't 8 times less it holds 1.5gb and dont forget that DVD's can be double sided, I dont forsee many games using more than 1.5gb and if they did it would only be useless video or something.

Percuvius...

now percuvius are you really that arogant it's quite obvious that developers can and will use the extra space on the disks, not just for cutscenes but making games larger, and more complex if you disagree then you're just being a blatant fanboy who doesn't even take the time to learn about a system before saying it sucks.

EIGamerzX
08-03-2001, 10:51 AM
uh diablo doesn't touch the quality or the size of many XBox games, because pc developers are forced to go with the minum recommended system specs so they can have their games on as many computers as possible XBox being a powerful console that blows away the pc developers recommended system specs means that games can be optimized graphically and speed wise meaning that they will take up more space, also if you had a ps1 some games were 4 disks long so if a disk was 700mb (educated guess) the game would be 2.8 GB long AND THATS PS1 wich won't touch next-gen games, ignoring an feature for fanboy reasons is just stupid

Craiz
08-03-2001, 11:46 AM
What about sound? The Xbox will have Dolby Digital 5.1. What does the GameCube have?

I have Dolby Digital decoder at home and it makes DVD movies kick ass. To me awesome sound is the difference between watching something and feeling involved in it.

Also, the Box will have support for HD output. I realize that an HDTV and Dolby Digital isn't the household standard, but I don't see how anyone who does have it could pass up on getting the XBox.

Aaron
08-03-2001, 12:08 PM
yes, 1.5 gigs as compared to xbox 8.5. quite less. and as for double sided, both consoles have both stated that double sided discs wont be used due to the hardness of care of those types of discs. And why are we talking about HD space? The games arent installed, as this is not a pc. Oh yeah and GC doesnt come with a modem or HD =p not a smart move by nintendo. Plus the whole Phantasy Star Offline thing, they need to get back in the game, but i dont really wanna see multiplayer pokemon. God forbid.