PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Cracks Down on Xbox Changes

flyxboxfly
11-15-2004, 06:38 PM
By ALLISON LINN, AP Business Writer

SEATTLE - In the days before Microsoft Corp. released the hotly anticipated Halo 2 video game for the Xbox (news - web sites) game console, some gamers noticed a sudden spike in the number of people being kicked off the company's online game service. That was no coincidence.

With Halo 2 expected to entice a new batch of users to the Xbox Live online gaming community, Microsoft says it got tougher with people suspected of making unauthorized modifications to their Xboxes.

Gamers who modify Xboxes usually do so either to be able to cheat on games or use pirated copies, although some also have made changes so they can use the Xbox for other functions, from running Linux (news - web sites) to playing music.

Cameron Ferroni, general manager of the Xbox software platform, says Microsoft is not interested in suing individual users. But the company does want to banish scofflaws from its online service, Xbox Live.

It's hard to know how many of Microsoft's 15.5 million Xbox users have modified their game consoles, although the percentage is believed to be small.

Microsoft has a unique glimpse into the approximately 1 million Xbox Live users' computers because, by virtue of signing up for the service, users agree to let Microsoft gather certain information from their machines.

Ferroni declined to go into specifics on how the company can check Xbox Live users' machines for suspected modifications. He said Microsoft has no way of checking whether players who don't use Xbox Live have modified their machines.

Neil Smith, an intellectual property lawyer with Howard Rice in San Francisco, said there's little legal risk in modifying a game system for relatively benign personal use, such as making players invulnerable.

But it is important to Microsoft to prevent such cheating on Xbox Live, where multiple players can take part in games. Ferroni said the goal is to make sure there's a level playing field.

Smith, who has represented several video game companies, said users face greater legal risk — and companies have more leverage — if a person is modifying the system to play pirated or other unauthorized games. That's especially true if the person is altering their system's security codes or settings.

Microsoft says it has focused its legal efforts on those it believes are manufacturing pirated games or mass-producing Xbox modifications.

Smith said the legality of modifying other people's technology remains hazy.

Other technology companies have grappled with how much can be done to their systems without their consent.

Earlier this year, Seattle-based RealNetworks caused a stir when it said it had developed software that allows songs purchased from its online music store to transfer to Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod by skirting internal copy protections.

Apple, which has closely guarded control of its music player, responded by accusing RealNetworks of adopting "the tactics and ethics of a hacker."

Other video game consoles don't seem to face as much tinkering for the sake of piracy as the Xbox, said PJ McNealy, an analyst with American Technology Research.

Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news) (news - web sites).'s PlayStation 2 (news - web sites) doesn't have as complex antipiracy measures, he said, and Nintendo (news - web sites) Co.'s cartridge-based games are much more difficult to pirate than the CDs that Microsoft and Sony use.

Analyst Rob Enderle said Microsoft's Xbox is also much more vulnerable to tinkering because its popular built-in hard drive more closely mimics a regular personal computer, whereas the other systems rely on less familiar technology.

"The very thing that made the Xbox a rapid success is also what made it easy to hack," Enderle said.

McNealy thinks Microsoft is right to go after those who are playing pirated games, but he thinks Microsoft might be flattered by some of the other homemade tweaks.

"To modify it to the umpteenth degree is simply a byproduct of the geek culture of the hardcore gamer," McNealy said. "It should be good news for Microsoft that there's that much demand (for Xbox) that people want to spend so much time figuring that stuff out."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&ncid=738&e=1&u=/ap/20041115/ap_on_hi_te/xbox_crackdown

Brevity
11-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Kick them all off I dont care... Casper has been hacking into XBL for a while which explains why he can even get one kill on me in a game.

LiquidX
11-15-2004, 08:31 PM
HAHA... I saw a 45 page thread on a modding site where people were complaining that their Live had been locked. They kept trying to find ways around it. You may trick MS for a little while but they WILL get you eventually. I think its hilarious.

And I hate the people that say, "I dont pirate, I mod to play imports." What imports? Theres like one decent Xbox game that isnt available here already. Fact is 95% or more people with a modded Xbox have it to pirate games, and its about time MS started protecting the technology/games that they put millions into.

Cryogenic Pyro
11-15-2004, 08:54 PM
HAHA... I saw a 45 page thread on a modding site where people were complaining that their Live had been locked. They kept trying to find ways around it. You may trick MS for a little while but they WILL get you eventually. I think its hilarious.

And I hate the people that say, "I dont pirate, I mod to play imports." What imports? Theres like one decent Xbox game that isnt available here already. Fact is 95% or more people with a modded Xbox have it to pirate games, and its about time MS started protecting the technology/games that they put millions into.
See, I'm different then that. If I modded my Xbox, it would be for streaming video to my TV. I don't see myself modding my Xbox, anyway.

BananaMan
11-15-2004, 09:06 PM
this may sound a little mean but my friend just bought a modded xbox that he burns games he rents to. he didn't know you could get banned from xbox live for it. he rents halo 2 from blockbuster right. i tell him man you really need live so we can play together on there, so he gets live. he's playing off of the disc with his modchip on, i don't even think his has an on/off switch. about 1-2 days later he gets busted.

funniest **** i've seen in a while, but he deserved it because he's been pirating games for a while on it.

ScorpionX
11-15-2004, 09:17 PM

Yea... shows how much you know about modding :rolleyes: ^2

wbio
11-15-2004, 09:25 PM
Not necessarilly true, I know we can't really say much about modding, but lots of people use their Xbox as a home entertainment thing and store all of their videos and music on it. But I'm not surprised MS did this, I think it had been expected for a while, and what better wgame to do it with than Halo 2? Doesn't affect me though, I've got two Xboxes :whistle:

Echoes
11-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Im glad i didnt get a modded xbox, thanks for the warning :)

Reclaimer
11-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Im glad i didnt get a modded xbox, thanks for the warning :)

Hello Echoes, thanks for coming to XBA. Your signature is too big. It needs to be 500x250. Yours is 600. Please change it, I'd appreciate it.

As for this thread.. be very careful about what you say here. We have strict rules against the discussion of modding. The topic of this thread is fine, but do not discusss specific methods, who has one, how it's done.. and so on.
Oh.. don't try to imply you have one or impy you have certain knowledge of it.

Anyway.. as for the topic?
Good. Microsoft has the right to banish users that bypass their security and disregard their policies.

I've read about their new tactics to check on Live Xboxes and it's quite aggressive.

Echoes
11-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Just changed my signature. Ill be careful about what I say, dont want to be revoked or anything just after i get my xbox. Still learning this whole thing , so bear with me :)

Reclaimer
11-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Just changed my signature. Ill be careful about what I say, dont want to be revoked or anything just after i get my xbox. Still learning this whole thing , so bear with me :)

Hey, it's no problem man. We where all new here at some point. Thanks for cooperating.

l Maximus l
11-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Boot the cheaters off...that's all I have to say :cuss:

Mitchell
11-16-2004, 12:32 AM
Boot the cheaters off...that's all I have to say :cuss:

you tell 'em Mr. Maxilicious

AlphaRaptor
11-16-2004, 09:36 AM
I guess if you really need/want to mod your Xbox and play on Xbox Live, you'll need two Xbox's...

XhigginsX
11-16-2004, 05:29 PM
hmm well if they want to screw microsoft over in money they deserved to get kicked off, if your too cheap to buy games, or spend a lil money for some downloadable content, you dont need a game system then do you

Hzaarour
11-16-2004, 10:35 PM
just dont mod and buy games its not that hard or you can buy two xboxes which will give microsoft more money

lawnDart
11-18-2004, 05:48 PM
I have two :whistle: :cheers:

Leviathon
11-19-2004, 07:57 AM
It was my impression that you could not cheat on Xbox live... Xbox connect might be a different story however....

I never modded mine and glad I didn't. I view it as stealing and really that is what it is.

Cryogenic Pyro
11-19-2004, 08:10 AM
It was my impression that you could not cheat on Xbox live... Xbox connect might be a different story however....

I never modded mine and glad I didn't. I view it as stealing and really that is what it is.
I don't see how you can consider using your Xbox as a media hub would be considered stealing. Modding your Xbox for illegal purposes isn't the only thing you can do with it.