PDA

View Full Version : Tekken 5 heading to Xbox

Sheeyt
11-17-2004, 07:40 AM
The latest issue of Famitsu has revealed that Namco’s Tekken 5 will be released across all platforms. This will mark the debut of the Tekken franchise on both Xbox and Nintendo Gamecube.

No further details about the different editions of the game or release dates were mentioned on the article but we'll bring you more information on Tekken 5 as soon as it becomes available.

LTM360
11-17-2004, 08:10 AM
Xbox Live... Xbox Live... Xbox Live... no whammy, no whammy STOP!

Yes, this game would be rad on XBL. Screw DOA: U. Come on Tekken 5.

SoundX
11-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Woah, that's news. Wonder how it'll fair against Dead or Alive.

biggins1870
11-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Xbox Live... Xbox Live... Xbox Live... no whammy, no whammy STOP!

Yes, this game would be rad on XBL. Screw DOA: U. Come on Tekken 5.

I have to agree... Tekken would rock balls on XBL!

Sheeyt
11-17-2004, 11:01 AM
I used to love Tekken, way way better then DOA, more skill required, less button mashing.

biggins1870
11-17-2004, 11:40 AM
depended on the character... Eddie from Tekken 3 = button mashing

Sheeyt
11-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Eddie was the shizzle.

biggins1870
11-17-2004, 11:45 AM
otherwise... definitely agree... you actually had to know what you were doing to play Tekken and it often frustrated all those button mashing fools :-)

biggins1870
11-17-2004, 11:46 AM
He was... That's how I learned!

Sheeyt
11-17-2004, 11:54 AM
I remember Nina used to have like 3-4-5 body breaking chainable holds. Good ****.

GuiltySpark
11-17-2004, 11:58 AM
YES! Tekken was the ish on the PS!

Sheeyt
11-17-2004, 11:59 AM
PS heck I used to line' em up and knock' em down at the Arcade on Tekken 3 with King, Paul or Eddie.

biggins1870
11-17-2004, 01:26 PM
King was the man with all those combos that ended in devastating wrestling moves. Something about that 1980's flattop of Paul's just rubbed me wrong way though.

StudioAlex
11-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Yeah, another button masher is released on the Xbox. Where the hell is virtua fighter?

LTM360
11-17-2004, 01:36 PM
Tekken takes a hell of alot more skill than Virtua Fighter man.

Sheeyt
11-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Whoa Studio..... Tekken is about as far from a button masher that you can get.

StudioAlex
11-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Hahaha, that's a good one, Trir. Why is it that I, someone whose played the series for about an hour total, can play competitively with die hard fans? Yeah, I'm good at fighting games, but no one who only played VF as long as I've played Tekken could compete against even a moderate VF player.

In terms of button mashy-ness, I'd rank Tekken and DOA (while still fun to play) near the top, Soul caliber in the middle, and VF pretty much the anti-button masher.

Jamo
11-17-2004, 01:48 PM
As much as I'd hate to admit it Tekken isn't a button masher. As for the people you payed they probably sucked and need to rethink on their fighting strategy. That or you broke the game.

Sheeyt
11-17-2004, 01:59 PM
DOA + Soul Caliber are button mashers. Unlike DOA hitting the button once in Tekken doesn't perform a 12 hit combo. Virtua Fighter and Tekken are about on the same page. But Tekken is by no means a button masher.

As I said before, one character Nina had a grapple move that chained to 3-4 other grapple moves and there was no way a button masher could execute those moves because it required a specific sequence and timing.

Jamo
11-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Unlike DOA hitting the button once in Tekken doesn't perform a 12 hit combo.

Say what? 12 hit combo? What are you talking about? Do yu hate DOA or something because it only does one hit. And Ive heard anbout people in Tekken doing their Juggling crap that wasted all of their oponents life.

And DOA isn't a button masher. Just easier to get hits in.

(I still love DOA more)

Sheeyt
11-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Please on DOA all you have to do is tape an attack button twice and they go into some long combo. Not to mention the "counter-attack" button is completely lame.

Jamo
11-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Please on DOA all you have to do is tape an attack button twice and they go into some long combo. Not to mention the "counter-attack" button is completely lame.

You obviously havent played DOA much have you? I'm not going to jump into ANOTHER argument with a TEKKEN fan this week. What you just said is completely untrue.

Sheeyt
11-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Actually I played DOA 3 alot. Beat it with every character because it was in no way a challenge. I'll admit I'm not a DOA fan unless they change the mechanics of it. I'm not a fighting fan anymore at all. I loved Tekken back in the day and Virtua Fighter.

Jamo
11-17-2004, 02:45 PM
And I am no Tekken fan either. I hate Tekken as much as you hate DOA. But I do know you are exaggerating greatly. And the challenge doesnt come out of the AI it comes out of human oponents. I will admit that the AI is lacking but the real fun is fighting other people. I've played it enough to know that.

I loved Tekken 2 after that it went downhill in my mind. I liked VF3tb for DC but again meh. DOA2 for DC was the one the cuaght my eye the most.

Leviathon
11-17-2004, 03:00 PM
I loved Tekken as well... I would say that I became pretty good at it, even though now, it's been years since I played. Buttong masher? Yes, if you sucked. Tekken was all about timing, defense, and IMO counters with the right combos... I would usually make someone come in, time a nice block, and then counter with a nice series of blows.....

This is good news in deed...

Sheeyt
11-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Yes I just hope its good I played Tekken 4 in the arcade and it was poop.

odpr
11-17-2004, 03:30 PM
doa is a button messher, and I think tekken is also (soul caliber for sure..)
mortal kombat is not..

LTM360
11-17-2004, 07:31 PM
lmao!!!

You think DOA: U is a button masher and Mortal Kombat isn't!!?? Oh my God... that is the best thing I've heard all day. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hzaarour
11-17-2004, 09:00 PM
finally i knew it was coming

Jamo
11-17-2004, 11:41 PM
Button Mashing is not what you call a game its what you call someone who pretty much polverises the games true meaning out of frustration. I've heard people button mashing and winning because of from all the fighters. And MK is just as suseptable.

StudioAlex
11-18-2004, 08:32 AM
As much as I'd hate to admit it Tekken isn't a button masher. As for the people you payed they probably sucked and need to rethink on their fighting strategy. That or you broke the game.Sorry, they didn't suck. Tekken is just a game too easy to learn. My main strategy, regardless of the character, was to wait for my opponent to attacks and hit him with a back+kick move. When they figured that out, I just opted for a left-right punch flurry. I'm not saying I dominated everyone playing, I lost and won matches, all while being very competitive.

BORNGD
11-18-2004, 09:00 AM
i used to love the tekken series, havnt played it since the tag one...i might be interested in this one!

Shadow20002
11-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Tekken 5 is coming......hmm..i need to get it. :)

Sheeyt
11-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Tekken 5 is on its way to the PlayStation 2 and should be available in Japan next spring, according to reports emanating from the Japanese Famitsu Weekly magazine, and will feature the original arcade mode, a customisation mode and a new single-player offering.

Details of the single-player undertaking should be announced soon, but the customisation mode is expected to allow you to tailor your preferred characters to your own design, outfitting them with various accessories.

Namco has yet to say anything about online options, but if the game sticks to the arcade version's functionality then the most we can expect is shared records and AI ghost downloads. At this point though there's no word on any PS2 Online support, so the above is pure speculation at this point.

Meanwhile, Namco Hometek representatives in the US have denied reports which surfaced yesterday that Cube and Xbox versions of the latest in the traditionally PlayStation-exclusive beat-'em-up series are in development.

Czm21x
11-18-2004, 04:40 PM
When I played Tekken and DOA on my PS1, I always found Tekken was a slower and somewhat easier game to get through compared to DOA.

JJaX
11-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Namco doesnt make button mashing games....

I'm not getting into this again, and I will leave it at that...

AlphaCigara
11-21-2004, 02:42 PM
I loved Tekken 3 and 4. never played the others, but i'm sure as hell looking forward to this one

Jamo
11-21-2004, 02:50 PM
I'm not getting into this again, and I will leave it at that...

I second that.

ShaDovV RyDer
11-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Wow...first we take GTA from those PoS fanboys and now Tekken...you know they are ticked. :cheers:

LTM360
11-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Wow...first we take GTA from those PoS fanboys and now Tekken...you know they are ticked. :cheers:

You can't forget Metal Geat Solid 2. :)

I'm still waiting for Final Fantasy... I.E. XII.
Even XI for crying out loud, even though I wouldn't play it.

BuLLsEyEWTF
11-21-2004, 07:50 PM
wow u guys who cares...even when u button mash u can still get pwnd by sum1 actually playing right in doa and as for tekken...law + paul rule all :D

Kortiz
11-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Hold the hell up...back the cracka ass train up here...

Whomever said Soul Calibur was a button smasher...deserves to lose their scrotums...

No...how about this...YOU DESERVE TO HAVE YOUR BALLS CUT OFF AND SHOVED UP YOUR ASS -- THAT WHY WHENEVER YOU **** -- YOU **** ON YOUR BALLS!!!!!!!

Soul Calibur -- the best -- ALL TIME -- fighting game EVER MADE!!! EVAR!!!!

BuLLsEyEWTF
11-21-2004, 10:07 PM
meh i never enjoyed soul calibur that much 2 say the least...but i agree its not a button smasher...thats just my opinion tho

Dyslexic Chaos
11-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Ok, my opinion on all the fighting games...

Tekken: Button mashing at first, Dial-a-Combo for "advanced" players. Fights break down into, wait for someone to attack, block, dial a combo, back off, repeat. was good for it's time up until Tekken Tag. Compared to todays fighter, Tekken feels very clunky and akward IMO.

Dead or Alive: Nice combo system, you take prety much tie any moves together, although some combos are, of course, more effective than others. The reversal system in 2 is better, as it if harder to pull off, but more rewarding. Despite what you think TRIR, the reversal system, especially in DOA2, is VERY well done.

Soul Calibur: Completely agree with Kortiz here, although not quite as... fanatical... It is the best fighting series of all time, even of the PSOne as Soul Blade, it was way ahead of its time. Awesome balance between fighters, awesome response time, especially for blocking. Great combo system, transitions make sense etc.. Button Mashers can have fun, but against a master, no chance in hell. BTW, knightmare owns. People go into a fight thinking I'll be really slow, than they're on their ass b4 they know it.

Virtua Fighter: Awesome fighter, like was said b4, the anti-button masher. Great reversal system. The fighters are very deep and are easy to pick-up, difficult to master.

Mortal kombat: Imagine what I said aboot Tekken with a worse response time, and thats MK. Still fun for all the extras and collectibles, and the Charcters have much more... vibrance to them, so the fights, even if it's just for the gore, are more fun to play/watch.

Remember, this is all in my opinion and from my experience with these series. but, I DO have quite a bit experience in these series, as I have owned both Soul Caliburs, 2 MKs, 3 DOAs, 2 VF's, and 2 Tekkens.

Sheeyt
11-22-2004, 08:09 AM
Dead or Alive: Nice combo system, you take prety much tie any moves together, although some combos are, of course, more effective than others. The reversal system in 2 is better, as it if harder to pull off, but more rewarding. Despite what you think TRIR, the reversal system, especially in DOA2, is VERY well done.

What reversal system? It isn't a well designed system, you simply press the designated "counter" button and vila counter move executed. So you go against a person with no skill who just mashes the counter button, they will counter your attack 90% of the time. Very frustrating.

Jamo
11-22-2004, 09:39 AM
What reversal system? It isn't a well designed system, you simply press the designated "counter" button and vila counter move executed. So you go against a person with no skill who just mashes the counter button, they will counter your attack 90% of the time. Very frustrating.

What designateed counter button. There is a direction that goes with that you know. It hasn't been a one button counter since DOA1. Then it jumped to a 3 way directional counter for the oriiginal DOA2 and 3. And now in DOA2U there is a 4 way countering sysytem. With a whorter span of tme when you counter and much more difficult to pull off. And what you are supposed to do with counter happy players is grap them. And keep doing it until they learn NOT to be counter happy. That simple.

CRAYMAN
11-23-2004, 10:17 AM
All this talk about button mashing is kind of pointless. I really think it depends on what style of play you prefer. Personally, I like the look of DOA better than what I've seen on the Tekken games.
I'm going to say that DOA:U is superior to ANY fighting game on Xbox at this moment, because it's the only one on LIVE that's worth playing.
Until Tekken comes out on LIVE it's really a moot point.