PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield: Modern Combat to be Xbox 2 launch title!

Sheeyt
11-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Apparently it will be an Xbox 2 launch title, and still release on Xbox in fall 2005.

Battlefield: Modern Combat is on its way to Microsoft's next-generation console, developer Digital Illusions CE recently announced. The console spinoff of the popular team-based online multiplayer shooter will hit the successor to the Xbox when that console launches, which Digital Illusions currently expects to be around the fall of 2005.

Modern Combat will still see release for PlayStation 2 and Xbox in the fall of 2005, whether or not the next-generation version arrives in that timeframe as well. The game was originally planned for release this year, but Electronic Arts and Digital Illusions chose to push the game back a year so as to add a more extensive single-player component to the game.

Today's announcement from DICE sheds a little more light on the division of labor involved in the game's development. DICE's Swedish home office is working on the multiplayer half of the game, while an internal team at Electronic Arts is composing the single-player elements.

This gives DICE no less than three officially-announced projects in the works for next-generation hardware. The developer recently announced that its Swedish team is working on two untitled games for next-generation consoles from Sony and Microsoft, one an action game due for release in 2007 and the other a more shadowy title slated for release in 2006 or 2007.

At an investor conference earlier this year, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer denied reports that the company's next game console would launch within 2005, but circumstantial evidence like today's announcement from DICE is mounting to dispute that claim. We'll look forward to more concrete details over the next few months, until E3 next May settles the question conclusively.

GreenWeenie
11-17-2004, 11:16 AM
4Q 2005??? Hmm...better start saving now. Those things are EXPENSIVE when they first launch....

Sheeyt
11-17-2004, 11:17 AM
I wonder if this means that Xbox 2 will launch with the new LIVE network up and running..... Cause I sure wouldn't care about a Battlefield game without Live.

Duke
11-17-2004, 11:23 AM
I wonder if this means that Xbox 2 will launch with the new LIVE network up and running..... Cause I sure wouldn't care about a Battlefield game without Live.

I imagine it will. Hopefully this will improve the quality of the game since last I heard it wasn't much to play.

SPARTAN VI
11-18-2004, 01:39 AM
Modern Combat already looks like monkey poop. Why the hell release it on Xbox 2.

Koopa
11-18-2004, 01:57 AM
Modern Combat already looks like monkey poop. Why the hell release it on Xbox 2.
so that it wont look like monkey poop.

SPARTAN VI
11-18-2004, 02:45 AM
so that it wont look like monkey poop.

It'll look worse in comparison to every other Xbox 2 game. Unless of course, they overhaul that nasty arse graphics engine in time.

GokuX
11-18-2004, 05:33 AM
Yeah I'll be sticking to the PC version.

Sheeyt
11-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Wouldn't you be upset if it released on Xbox 2 looking like Battlefield 2?