PDA

View Full Version : multiple xbox systems

LeoBreaker
11-23-2004, 05:11 PM
alright guys i am having quite a predicament. i have a bunch of friends over tonight and my one brought an xbox system. We want to both play on xbox live using both systems but when we go to sign in my system does but my friend's system does not. I've tried multiple ethernet cable both patch and cross-over, but it really shouldn't matter considering i am running both through a router. If anyone can help me find out what is the matter with this please post. I'd really appreciate it.

stormin4
11-23-2004, 05:18 PM
alright guys i am having quite a predicament. i have a bunch of friends over tonight and my one brought an xbox system. We want to both play on xbox live using both systems but when we go to sign in my system does but my friend's system does not. I've tried multiple ethernet cable both patch and cross-over, but it really shouldn't matter considering i am running both through a router. If anyone can help me find out what is the matter with this please post. I'd really appreciate it.

There is another thread here regarding this issue. I have had the exact same problem--tried both with hub and router, no luck. The other guy said it worked for him once they changed from a hub to a router. I have checked on the internet and can't find a definitive answer but some info has indicated it could be a problem with Linksys routers and that D-link will work?...Welcome to XBA by the way!

LeoBreaker
11-23-2004, 05:21 PM
so it doesn't work with linksys routers you say... that sucks. this is the time i regret to giving my dlink router to my sisters boyfriend :bang: . oh well thanks anyway

stormin4
11-23-2004, 05:22 PM
so it doesn't work with linksys routers you say... that sucks. this is the time i regret to giving my dlink router to my sisters boyfriend :bang: . oh well thanks anyway

Now I'm definitely not SURE of that. That is just one possibility I remember reading about.

Xer0Mercy
11-23-2004, 05:24 PM
I really don't think the brand name of the router matters.

Douchesforfun
11-23-2004, 05:33 PM
this guy is a loser, he doesnt know how to hook up multiple xbox's to a router..... ahahahhahahahahahh jk im right here too..

LeoBreaker
11-23-2004, 05:50 PM
well i have come to a conclusion it isn't a problem of two xbox systems on one router. it is a problem with the one xbox not connecting to xbox live. it seems that the xbox is configured correctly when you go to the network settings and yet it doesn't connect to xbox live. i've tried even connecting directly to the modem.

levelzero
11-24-2004, 08:09 AM
Not that I have ever actually tried to hook up two Xbox systems over Live and a router at the same time or anything, but my guess would be it has to do with NAT and the actual IP address you are getting from your ISP.

Just because your little router can pass out foo IP addresss all day long (192.168.x.x or 10.1.x.x for example) your ISP is only giving you one real internet IP address for you to send packets with.

My guess is that Xbox live does not like seeing traffic from two different systems both using the same real IP address, so it only speaks to one of them. Mind you , this is just a guess and I lie a lot, so I would just ignore me.

Spaztic
11-24-2004, 10:55 AM
I would have to agree you more then likely have a switch. They use one Ip and share it for each system connected to it. I am betting this is a hardware issue. If you know you have a router. Make sure your isp has realeased all ips for your account. Call your isp provider.

biggins1870
11-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Just to clarify...
Are you using two different Live accounts, or are you trying to get both Xboxes on Live on just your one account?

Each has own account... Should work as long as you've got a compatible router (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/connect/routerlanding.htm).

Two on one account... Won't happen.

Douchesforfun
11-24-2004, 09:26 PM
well, just to let you guys know i got it working last night. i had to hook everything up and then reset both my router and modem for it to detect the proper settings. go figure it was that simple :confused:

LeoBreaker
11-24-2004, 09:27 PM
that was me just above. my friend never signed out : /

SPARTAN VI
11-27-2004, 03:41 AM
so it doesn't work with linksys routers you say... that sucks.

False. I'd say Linksys routers would be your best bet for anything like this. My sister and I are using two Xbox's on our Linksys router. We both can sign onto live, only problem is we don't have enough wattage going into the modem or not enough bandwidth.

But it's definitely possible.