PDA

View Full Version : Cable vs telephone DSL

tbird
02-04-2002, 11:30 AM
I need everyone's assistance... When Microsoft brings ut there online plans it states that I have to have a broadband connectionor DSL.. I don't know so much of this or even what's the difference. All I know is that by having either of these two connections It's alot faster than 56K..

Question is that my telephone company, (VERIZON), and cable company (CABLEVISION) offer the DSL or broadband connection. I'm not so sure which specific company offers what but I'd lioke to know which one is better. As I've heard, it's cheaper if I join my cable company.. What does evryone else think???

I know the phone company gives me some sort of modem but doesn't the XBOX already have the modem inside. And the cable company, I'm lost with that, where do I connect my telephone plug to..

PLEASE ASSIST//.. As you can tell, I'm really lost....:eek:

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 11:41 AM
Hey, Tbird...first of all, DSL is broadband...just had to clear that up.

All you need is broadband...it's that simple. Whether it's cable or DSL, either way, you'll be in good hands.

Personally, it really boils down to price. Get what is a better deal...either Cable or DSL will do the trick.

When Microsoft develops their on-line forum this summer, all you have to do is connect your Cable modem or DSL modem (which is a seperate peice of hardware) with the CAT 5 cable that normally goes into your Ethernet Port on your computer to the back of the XBox. You're in action.

Personally, I would also purchase a Hub or Switch...that way you can use the modem for your computer and your XBox without having to keep plugging and unplugging your modem. Just my two cents :)

Also, if you have a strong craving to play on-line now...go to www.gamespyarcade.com and you can play Halo, Tony Hawk 2X, and Nascar Heat on-line. But, you will need broadband (cable or DSL) and a HUB or Switch. I'm having so much fun, all of my games are shelved and I have been playing Halo on-line and loving it!

tbird
02-04-2002, 11:52 AM
As always Max, thanks for the assistance. I've got a question though..

First of all I don't have a computer at home. I actually do all my email, etc at work. So the comment you made here:

When Microsoft develops their on-line forum this summer, all you have to do is connect your Cable modem or DSL modem (which is a seperate peice of hardware) with the CAT 5 cable that normally goes into your Ethernet Port on your computer to the back of the XBox. You're in action.

1: I'm going to go with cable, it's cheaper ...They will give me a modem and according to you, all I have to do is buy a CAT 5 cable and plug them both in???

2: What's is the ethernet port your talking about?? Is it the telephone plug in back of the xbox????

3: When I do get this all attched, am I able to go to websites?? I don't have a keyboard at home??? How do I log in to the site that I want...

I';m lost, anyone help ......please....

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by tbird

1: I'm going to go with cable, it's cheaper ...They will give me a modem and according to you, all I have to do is buy a CAT 5 cable and plug them both in???

2: What's is the ethernet port your talking about?? Is it the telephone plug in back of the xbox????

3: When I do get this all attched, am I able to go to websites?? I don't have a keyboard at home??? How do I log in to the site that I want...

I';m lost, anyone help ......please....

lol, no problem, dude...I'll be more clear. Here are the answers to your questions:

Answer for #1: Good idea to get cable if it's cheaper for you. Of course, the cost varies between DSL and Cable depending on the competition in your area. But, when you get your Cable Modem, it should already come with a standard CAT 5 cable. If it doesn't, then you will siimply need to pick one up. Make sure it IS NOT a "CAT 5 Crossover"....You just want a standard CAT 5 cable, just so you know. All you have to do is connect your CAT 5 cable into the Cable modem and the other end into your XBox. It's as simple as that.

Answer for #2: The ethernet port on the back of your computer looks similar to a phone jack, but, it's a little bigger. A standard phone wire's input is smaller, and those jacks are for your 56K modem that is already built into your work computer. So, again, the ethernet port is the only port that is large enough to insert a CAT 5 cable into. So, it's nothing more than that. It's primarily used for High Speed cable and computer networking (let's say if you wanted to create a LAN - Local Area Network, etc).

Answer to #3: Well, this is yet to be determined. Rumor is that when you have your Cable modem hooked up to your XBox, while the official XBox on-line forum is set up (this summer), all you have to do is insert your game, select the on-line option on the menu and you will automatically go into the forum. They are going to make it as simple as possible. Some games may strictly be on-line games in which you probably don't have to even go to the menu on a game...it will automatically launch you to the on-line forum. There is a lot of coding on the XBox game discs, of course...and the XBox will recognize if a certain game is on-line compatible...and, if it is, it will launch you automatically. It's going to be sweet! And very easy, too :)

I hope that answers everything! I've been out for a week so the timing of your questions is great! :D

tbird
02-05-2002, 10:29 AM
I actually understand everything you said. Thanks again ....

aronx
02-05-2002, 12:07 PM
Make sure your downstream rate is 128Mbps and you should probably ask how many taps have been made to the cable (which could affect your connection at times).

DIGITAL
02-05-2002, 04:08 PM
when xbox goes online do i have to get another cable modem since my computers in a diffrent room or is there a wire i could run from the one i got now to my xbox,please if any one could help let me know

aronx
02-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by DIGITAL
when xbox goes online do i have to get another cable modem since my computers in a diffrent room or is there a wire i could run from the one i got now to my xbox,please if any one could help let me know

Just buy a 10/100 hub and two cat 5's. Run the main line to the hub and the other two to your Xbox and computer.

DIGITAL
02-05-2002, 04:19 PM
thanks for the info ,how much does the hub go for?

ALEX DA PIMP
02-05-2002, 10:52 PM
there are many things differnt between land line and cable dsl. first, ? that you should answer is do you want to have real response time during game play. also if price is a factor there are lots of phone providers out there that are cheaper than others.

the best way to go is through the phone company becuse nothing will beat land lines. dsl can run at 1.554mbs depending on location.1.5 downstreem and 338kbps upstreem. first you need to find out how far are you from your telephone office. if you are within a mile range you should hit very good speeds. if you are beyound that, your speeds decrease with distance. in some cases dsl is not even avalible in some areas.

places that you cant get dsl trough your phone line go through cable as a last resort. because a cable modem varies with distance, how many people have it in your sub, and your speed goes up and down as people get on line and send and recieve info.

if you go the dsl route the best thing to do is install and cat 5 wire directly from your telephone box to the jack where you will connect your x box. if you have an alarm this could affect your speed as well. but there are filters that you can bypass this. also you dont have to worry about your modem because its built in so when you talk with the dsl people you shouldnt have to buy a modem at all. the reason they will have to sell you one is if you needed dsl for a computer that doesnt have an ethernet port.
also you dont have to buy the ms version of the ethernet cord, you can go buy one at any computer store. if you have any more ?s you can email me directly at alexislife@aol.com im shure i have more info for you