PDA

View Full Version : My Halo via Gamespy experience

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 01:32 PM
Dudes, I must admit to you all, I have shelved every single one of my XBox games because of playing Halo on-line... I will get to my other games, but, Halo on Gamespy is just too awesome!! If you're not on Gamespy yet, you need to...get the most out of Halo that you can...and this is a great way to do it! You can also play Tony Hawk 2X and Nascar Heat on Gamespy...I haven't tried those yet...probably because I don't own those other two games :D

It's really sweet seeing some of my XBoxaddict buddies on-line, too. I've played Jjax and Fanofslipknot already...two great XBoxaddict members here.

One thing I need to mention: Jjax and his buddy NIK are utterly bad ass. After playing them about a week and a half ago, my ass is still in a sling. I mean, I'm good and all, but, I cannot, in any way, hold water to those dudes...not yet, anyway :D

Fanofslipknot and I played and I beat him. He's a good challenger, too.

If you guys make it on Gamespy, my screen name is "Maximus"...let's play!!!!! It should be mandatory! I can't believe I held myself back from doing it at first...I'm still kicking myself from that! Get on-line!!!!!!!!!

Phiresun
02-04-2002, 01:41 PM
I agree with you Maximus, I played maybe three weeks ago, I had a ball playing. My only fault is I have Sprint Broadband wireless, my upload speeds are keeping me from enjoying this to full capacity, I got to get DSL somehow soon!!!! I can't stand it:(

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 01:47 PM
Dude, Phiresun...get DSL now, dude...it's an absolute blast to play Halo on-line! Just last night, I was all by myself and I managed to get to other dudes to play that had two people on each of their XBoxes in a matter of 5 seconds!

Seriously, I created a game last night called "Seattle Slayer" and a total of four people plus myself started playing in a matter of seconds! It was awesome! It's just so cool because you can actually play multi-player even if you don't have your buddies over at your house...you can just play on-line! Man, it should be mandatory for all XBox owners to get broadband and download Gamespy so you can play Halo on-line...it's so killer!

Snoopy7548
02-04-2002, 01:59 PM
ill play you max, once i get a hub, i already have cable

Ninja Scroll
02-04-2002, 02:05 PM
D@mn waximus, sounds like you dont need your wife anymore, i'll be more than happy to pay for you guys divorce!!:D
j/k kid!

So jjax is as good as he claims:o Im impressed.
Happy to know your having a ball online with Halo wax!
You'll see me this summer foe sho doe kid!:)

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
ill play you max, once i get a hub, i already have cable

Snoopy! Get a HUB quick!!! They don't cost very much...you can get one as cheap as $7 if you want! lol...But, I ended up buying a $50 Switch instead. I got the Linksys 10/100 Workgroup Switch. The main difference between a Hub and a Switch is that a Switch provides 100% bandwidth to each port, whereas a Hub shares 100% bandwidth with all the ports (for example: If it's a four port Hub, then, 25% bandwidth would go to each port if all were being used).

All I know is that I have been having the most fun when it comes to video games that I have ever had! It's just plain fun! I hope to see you on-line...look me up...I'm usually on-line every evening...just look up "Maximus" :D

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
So jjax is as good as he claims:o Im impressed.
Happy to know your having a ball online with Halo wax!
You'll see me this summer foe sho doe kid!:)

Dude, Ninja...I wish you would just download the *FREE* software from Gamespy...it's easy, dude. Even I, a networking novice, figured it out....well, with the help of a Frostberg, Hugh_Jass, Lynxfx, and a few others :D

And, yes, dude...Jjax is a bad ass Halo player. I give him props and I am a witness to his trash talk. He can back it all up...I know first hand. Him and his buddy, NIK, are unstoppable.

Get this: When Jjax and his buddy, NIK, played me (which I am really good) and I also had a buddy who is nearly as skilled as I am...and then I had one intermediate and one newbie. So, it was us four against those two dudes and they kicked the living crap out of us!

Though, I am proud to say that I plugged both of them with the Sniper Rifle and got a double kill...but, that was the only highlight of the game. It was also kind of lucky considering that I was far away and had both of their heads in the crosshairs of my Sniper Rifle :D But, they waxed my ass so bad after that! lol...Jjax and NIK claim to be undefeated...and, I have no doubt about that!

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 03:23 PM
Hey, my XBoxaddict buddies....I refuse to stop advertising Halo on Gamespy until every one of you give in, get broadband, a Hub, and get your asses on-line! If you haven't done it already (and you all know who you are), you have absolutely NO IDEA what you're missing!!!!!! It's worth every penny!

I have 10 XBox games and nine of them are on the shelf. Halo is the only one that belongs in my XBox for the tme being....with my computer using the Gamespy Arcade software that is FREE. So, get your asses on-line if you're not!

The newbie that I made reference to is a friend of my brother's and he is a hardcore PoS2 fan. Just one day after playing Halo on-line, he lost interest in his PS2 so he can get an XBox! No kidding!!!! No one can deny that playing Halo on-line is not breathtaking fun...it's the best gaming experience available on the XBox!

BiohazardEHW
02-04-2002, 03:49 PM
I got cable already, so is it free?

Sniper2
02-04-2002, 04:00 PM
I would love to play online (especially since everyone I know is a ps2 fan) but I have no idea how to go about setting it up or how it works. I've tried reading the website that tells all about it but I dont know what the heck a hub or a switch is so i just figured it'd be easier to wait for summer. :(

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by BiohazardEHW
I got cable already, so is it free?

Yes, dude...it's FREE, buddy! Do you own a Hub or Switch? If not, get one today! But, you have to download the Free software from Gamespy. All you need to do is go to http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/tunnel_xbox.shtml

When you are there, you will see "Gamespy Arcade Software" and "Gamespy Tunnel Software". You need to download them both. Or simply click here:

Download Gamespy Arcade: http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/tunnel_xbox.shtml

Download Gamespy Tunnel: http://launch.gamespyarcade.com/software/install/gamespytunnel10.exe

The cool thing is, to set up a game, you do it on your computer. But, you actually play the game on your TV. This is how you hook it up:

Take your Hub and plug in your Cable modem or DSL modem with a CAT 5 cable into the uplink port. Then, from port 1 (actually, any of the ports will work as long as it's not the uplink), take another CAT 5 cable and connect it to your ethernet port on your computer (if you happen to be a networking novice like myself, it's the only input on your computer that will fit a CAT 5 cable). Then, from port two (again, or any other port as long as it's not the uplink port) simply run another CAT 5 cable from it and connect it to the back of your XBox.

That's it! See you on-line! Look me up, dude...it's like having a brand new gaming system! It's so bad ass!

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Sniper2
I would love to play online (especially since everyone I know is a ps2 fan) but I have no idea how to go about setting it up or how it works. I've tried reading the website that tells all about it but I dont know what the heck a hub or a switch is so i just figured it'd be easier to wait for summer. :(

Dude, Sniper2, I can tell you how to do it. And, trust me, man...before doing this, I didn't know anything about networking at all...and even I figured this thing out! lol...I can help you...just answer this question:

Do you have broadband (high speed cable or DSL) ?

You said earlier that you don't know what a Hub is. Well, a Hub is simply a peice of hardware that allows you to link multiple computers together. But, in this case, we are actually using it for the XBox. You can get one as cheap as $7. The important thing is to get what is known as a "10/100 Hub". That's what you will need if you decide to do this...which I STRONGLY recommend! Let me know the answer to the question above first and I can help you do it! It's so easy!!!

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 05:53 PM
Gentlemen (and XBoxpebbles :D)....I must say, you all need to get your asses on-line and play Halo. I'm not joking! It is a must! It should be mandatory! It's like getting a whole new system and it's free! Besides, I want to play all of you guys! I've already played against Jjax and Fanofslopknot, two amazing XBoxaddict members here....So, get on-line now!

By the way, to people that are already playing Halo on-line, when are you normally on? Let me know...maybe we can play...a little carnage couldn't hurt anyone ;)

Snoopy7548
02-04-2002, 06:03 PM
haha, maximus sounds pretty excited:eek: . i found a 50 foot cat-5 cable for like 12 bucks. i need a long cable since my computer is in a totally different room than my xbox.

Snoopy7548
02-04-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
But, I ended up buying a $50 Switch instead. I got the Linksys 10/100 Workgroup Switch. The main difference between a Hub and a Switch is that a Switch provides 100% bandwidth to each port, whereas a Hub shares 100% bandwidth with all the ports (for example: If it's a four port Hub, then, 25% bandwidth would go to each port if all were being used).

max, i have a question, should i get a switch or a hub? which do u recommend? my cable is 768k download and like 512k upload. do u think a hub would give me enough bandwidth for gaming online? because i probly wont really be downloading anything while im playing gamess

DT21
02-04-2002, 06:07 PM
Wow, you still play online Maximus!? I kinda stopped since it's sort of a ***** to set up every time. O yea, too many high pings also:mad:.

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 06:17 PM

max, i have a question, should i get a switch or a hub? which do u recommend? my cable is 768k download and like 512k upload. do u think a hub would give me enough bandwidth for gaming online? because i probly wont really be downloading anything while im playing gamess

Well, as long as you have broadband, whether it be cable or DSL, you'll be fine. I ended up getting a Switch because I was recommended doing so by my computer-guru nephew. I know of people who have used a HUB and have had no problems at all. A Switch is better. The "Linksys 10/100 Workgroup Switch" works with ease...I recommend it. It costed me $50 from Electronics Boutique...worth every penny! Remember, it can also be used if you want to System Link up to four XBoxes, too...

The main difference between a HUB and a Switch is that a HUB shares the bandwidth between all of the ports whereas a Switch provides 100% bandwidth to every port so that each port is getting full bandwidth...not just 1/4 of it, if you are using a 4 port HUB. See what I mean?

Your 50 Foot CAT 5 Cable will work great. You'll need a total of three CAT 5 cables...the other two can be shorter since you can keep your HUB or Switch near your computer.

1 CAT 5 cable goes from your Cable (or DSL) Modem to the uplink port on the HUB (or Switch). From port one (for example), you'll need a second CAT 5 cable going into your computer (into the Ethernet port on your computer...which is the only port it will fit in, so it's easy to figure out, anyway)...and a third one going from port 2 (for example) to your XBox. Download Gamespy Arcade and Gamespy Tunnel Softwares and you're set!

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by DT21
Wow, you still play online Maximus!? I kinda stopped since it's sort of a ***** to set up every time. O yea, too many high pings also:mad:.

Hell yeah, DT21!! I just boot people out that have pings over 150...I am very successful finding people with pings that are below 80, which is awesome! I normally only get two other XBoxes going so there's a total of three. There could, of course, be multiple people on each XBox.

Also, you don't actually have to set up every time...just stay with the same host, or be the host, and pick a new game through your XBox...you won't have to go back to your computer at all unless they leave or something! You have to admit, it's an awesome experience when you play people with a low ping!

Get on-line again, buddy! We should play a few rounds! Look me up...I use the same nickname on Gamespy that I do here :)

DT21
02-04-2002, 06:21 PM

Hell yeah, DT21!! I just boot people out that have pings over 150...I am very successful finding people with pings that are below 80, which is awesome! I normally only get two other XBoxes going so there's a total of three. There could, of course, be multiple people on each XBox.

Get on-line again, buddy! We should play a few rounds! Look me up...I use the same nickname on Gamespy that I do here :)
What days do you play again? Weekend only right?

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by DT21

What days do you play again? Weekend only right?

Actually, you can definately find me there on the weekends...but, there's a great chance that I will be on there any time during the evening Monday-Friday :D I will be on there tonight for sure :) Dude, look me up, man! Just say "BEER" and I will answer immediately! hehe :D

Snoopy7548
02-04-2002, 06:33 PM
BEER sucks!!!;)

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 06:37 PM
BEER sucks!!!;)

:eek: :eek: :eek: !!! It does? :confused:

Snoopy7548
02-04-2002, 06:39 PM
hey max, one last question (hopefully), my cable company charges extra if i network stuff, so is there any way they can detect if i have a switch or hub? because my cable is capped at a certain speed, so would they detect me using twice the bandwidth if i had a switch? cause i dont wanna pay extra money

monkeyman
02-04-2002, 06:40 PM
BEER sucks!!!;)

thats cruel dude poor poor max

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 06:44 PM
hey max, one last question (hopefully), my cable company charges extra if i network stuff, so is there any way they can detect if i have a switch or hub? because my cable is capped at a certain speed, so would they detect me using twice the bandwidth if i had a switch? cause i dont wanna pay extra money

Nope. And, even if they did, it's not like you are networking more than one computer. You are simply connecting your XBox...so, no sweat :) Also, it doesn't use up more bandwidth anyway...so no problems with your cable speed either :)

Snoopy7548
02-04-2002, 06:53 PM
haha, beer is good, although im only 16.:confused: u know that switch u were talking about? i found the same exact one at outpost.com for only 40 bucks, and it comes with a 10/100 lan card:D i might buy that.

monkeyman
02-04-2002, 06:57 PM
man your all making me jealous cause i dont got a good enough connection to play halo online:(

l Maximus l
02-04-2002, 07:05 PM
haha, beer is good, although im only 16.:confused: u know that switch u were talking about? i found the same exact one at outpost.com for only 40 bucks, and it comes with a 10/100 lan card:D i might buy that.

Dude, pick it up! It's worth every single penny...Just get on-line! It's like having a whole new system. I think you mentioned earlier that you have several PoS2 friends (correct me if I'm wrong)...if that is the case, this will impress the socks off of them! Next thing you know, they will be over at your house and far away from their PoS2s :D

Shadow Fox
02-04-2002, 07:06 PM
Just warning you guys: my name is "ACEofSP8DZ" on Gamespy...find me and we'll play games- D-Day style...

-Official Ninja of GameTavern (and NDose)

Snoopy7548
02-04-2002, 07:08 PM
yea, one of my friends just wont buy an xbox cause he hates microsoft so much cause he says theyre a monopoly and all that shi*. and i asked him why he was using windows, and he said that he would be using mac but none of the programs he uses are for mac, what a lame excuse. anyway, i think that i would run the cable up through the wall to my attic, down to my computer, but its more than 50 feet, and i cant find any cables that are over 50 feet but under 500 feet, so i would need to buy like a 50 foot cable and like a 15 foot one and connect them, can u tell me where to get a good connector? i cant seem to find one for cat-5 cables. also, if i did that, would i lose any bandwidth in the connection from cable to cable?

XxeGoxX
02-04-2002, 08:45 PM
id play yall but i cant....:(

fanofslipknotib
02-04-2002, 08:47 PM
Yeah Maximus..just go and tell everybody that you beat me....but, I only lost by about 7! That aint too bad considering there was a 3rd guy getting in my way! I will take you out someday!

Sniper2
02-04-2002, 10:11 PM

Do you have broadband (high speed cable or DSL) ?

You said earlier that you don't know what a Hub is. Well, a Hub is simply a peice of hardware that allows you to link multiple computers together. But, in this case, we are actually using it for the XBox. You can get one as cheap as $7. The important thing is to get what is known as a "10/100 Hub". That's what you will need if you decide to do this...which I STRONGLY recommend! Let me know the answer to the question above first and I can help you do it! It's so easy!!!

Yes maximus, I do have high speed cable. So I can just go to comp USA or someplace and get everything I need for less than $10 bucks?

By the way, do you happen to know a minimum upstream of kbps?

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
Just warning you guys: my name is "ACEofSP8DZ" on Gamespy...find me and we'll play games- D-Day style...

-Official Ninja of GameTavern (and NDose)

hehe...I like REALLY forward to it :D

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 10:55 AM
yea, one of my friends just wont buy an xbox cause he hates microsoft so much cause he says theyre a monopoly and all that shi*. and i asked him why he was using windows, and he said that he would be using mac but none of the programs he uses are for mac, what a lame excuse. anyway, i think that i would run the cable up through the wall to my attic, down to my computer, but its more than 50 feet, and i cant find any cables that are over 50 feet but under 500 feet, so i would need to buy like a 50 foot cable and like a 15 foot one and connect them, can u tell me where to get a good connector? i cant seem to find one for cat-5 cables. also, if i did that, would i lose any bandwidth in the connection from cable to cable?

In regards to a CAT 5 cable, never go more than 100 feet. If you go at 100 feet or less, you're in good shape :)

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by fanofslipknotib
Yeah Maximus..just go and tell everybody that you beat me....but, I only lost by about 7! That aint too bad considering there was a 3rd guy getting in my way! I will take you out someday!

lol, Fanofslipknot...lol...dude, I gave you props, man! I said you are great competition! I could have easily said that I kicked your ass beyond belief...but, that wouldn't be true :D Dude, as you know, only one or one team can win...I simply won, however, it was a great match! We should play again....it's all good and fun :) I used your name, simply because I found it very enjoyable playing buddies like you that I know from this site :D

Hey, fan...I will hae 3 or 4 dudes this Friday night...if you can, come on it for some great times of carnage! :D

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Sniper2

Yes maximus, I do have high speed cable. So I can just go to comp USA or someplace and get everything I need for less than $10 bucks?

By the way, do you happen to know a minimum upstream of kbps?

Don't worry about the upstream...if you have broadband, you're in great shape! It's possible to get everything for $10, but, I ended up spending about $50 because I didn't want anything that was too cheap. I bought the "Linksys 10/100 Workgroup Switch" (that's exactly what it's called) and two CAT 5 cables. Then I downloaded the free software and have been playing on-line Halo in a state of bliss ever since :D So, get on-line!! Besides, by owning a Hub or Switch, you can use it to hook up to four XBoxes on four TVs and have a System Link fest at your own house for sometime later! So, the Hub or Switch can be used for many other things, too...if you ever need or want to :)

JJaX
02-05-2002, 11:14 AM

And, yes, dude...Jjax is a bad ass Halo player. I give him props and I am a witness to his trash talk. He can back it all up...I know first hand. Him and his buddy, NIK, are unstoppable.

Get this: When Jjax and his buddy, NIK, played me (which I am really good) and I also had a buddy who is nearly as skilled as I am...and then I had one intermediate and one newbie. So, it was us four against those two dudes and they kicked the living crap out of us!

Though, I am proud to say that I plugged both of them with the Sniper Rifle and got a double kill...but, that was the only highlight of the game. It was also kind of lucky considering that I was far away and had both of their heads in the crosshairs of my Sniper Rifle :D But, they waxed my ass so bad after that! lol...Jjax and NIK claim to be undefeated...and, I have no doubt about that!

THanks MAX for all the Love!!

And yes im Still undeafted, even after a 4 on 1 on gulch. Which i won 50 to 2 :D
They kept coming at me and they kept getting smacked down. THen i would pull out my sniper rifle and rack up about 8 head shots. Go back to base to reload, Kill some people on the way. Man i was unstopable, They had tanks, Warthogs, Ghost meeting me in the middle. (nothing a rocket launcher, shotgun and well placed grenades couldnt take care of ;) )

MaX ~ Look foward to playing you again! And anyone else on these boards.

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

THanks MAX for all the Love!!

And yes im Still undeafted, even after a 4 on 1 on gulch. Which i won 50 to 2 :D
They kept coming at me and they kept getting smacked down. THen i would pull out my sniper rifle and rack up about 8 head shots. Go back to base to reload, Kill some people on the way. Man i was unstopable, They had tanks, Warthogs, Ghost meeting me in the middle. (nothing a rocket launcher, shotgun and well placed grenades couldnt take care of ;) )

MaX ~ Look foward to playing you again! And anyone else on these boards.

Yeah, dude...let's roll again! Even if I get my ass put in a sling again, it will still be fun :D The only other person that I have seen is fanofslipknot...he's a good player, too. I'm really trying to recruit more XBoxaddict members so we can get a bunch of us on-line!

Hey, Jjax, I will be there this Friday night for sure... And, I will have a couple more buddies...so, there should be atleast 3 of us...maybe a total of 4. So, it should be some good times like always!!!

Man, I pitty the people that haven't seen Halo on-liine yet...they truly don't know what they are missing! I loved Halo when I first started...but, not nearly as much as I do now since I have been playing on-line! I'm still kicking myself for not getting on sooner!! What was I thinking!??! :confused:

JJaX
02-05-2002, 12:02 PM
I forgot to mention, theres another person in My squad you didnt play yet. Shererboat is his name, and hes just as nasty as us.

JJaX + NiK + Shererboat = trouble.........

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 12:24 PM
I forgot to mention, theres another person in My squad you didnt play yet. Shererboat is his name, and hes just as nasty as us.

JJaX + NiK + Shererboat = trouble.........

lol, Jjax...thanks for the warning, dude! lol...

By the way, I wouldn't mind learning a few tips...I'm trying to get the punch mastered for close combat situations... Is there a specific weapon to have that is more effective than others? I notice that even the little pistol is very effective....much more effective than a bare fist.

JJaX
02-05-2002, 12:30 PM

By the way, I wouldn't mind learning a few tips...I'm trying to get the punch mastered for close combat situations... Is there a specific weapon to have that is more effective than others? I notice that even the little pistol is very effective....much more effective than a bare fist.

If your running at someone the melee attack is more effective. The assualt rifle is best for melee, Its quicker compared to the pistol, Sniper and rocket melees (They all do the same amount of damage). If you melee someone from behind thats intstant kill (try it on a friend :D ).

Another good tip:

When using your assualt rifle, running at them and you notice there shields are down and your clip is empty. While reloading try to get in for the melee attack, If your close enough do a melee while reloading. Works everytime, Unless you miss that is ;)

But when someone is using a assault rifle against me, I just whip out my pistol and bust em in the head. They drop real quick. Nothing better then dropping a grenade on someone then popping one bullet into there head ;)

Ninja Scroll
02-05-2002, 12:32 PM
OMG!!!:eek: Okay, either JJax is a GOD, or waximus just sucks mad crazy ass at Halo!?

j/k:D

D@mn, you guys are sure promoting da hell out of Gamespy! Only thing is, my internet access at my crib kinda sucks, and I dont want to go through the hassel of getting all these things you fellas are talking about, so im just gonna wait until this summer as I have said before:( .

I envy you guys online, happy to know your all enjoying da xbox online experience!:)

P.S. i'll be getting a new PC by the end of this year,... or maybe i'll be like the gaming industry and just say atleast by the end of the financial year!:D

maneatingcow
02-05-2002, 12:36 PM
Man, the more and more you all talk about how fun it is, you are all tempting me to get back on (I have everything needed).

But the more I hear about JJaX makes me want to stay away, for fear of recieving a beating like the poor fellow in JJaX's sig....

JJaX
02-05-2002, 12:49 PM
HAHAHAHAH thanks Guys!
Great sig movie huh!

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
OMG!!!:eek: Okay, either JJax is a GOD, or waximus just sucks mad crazy ass at Halo!?

j/k:D

D@mn, you guys are sure promoting da hell out of Gamespy! Only thing is, my internet access at my crib kinda sucks, and I dont want to go through the hassel of getting all these things you fellas are talking about, so im just gonna wait until this summer as I have said before:( .

I envy you guys online, happy to know your all enjoying da xbox online experience!:)

P.S. i'll be getting a new PC by the end of this year,... or maybe i'll be like the gaming industry and just say atleast by the end of the financial year!:D

D a m n, Ninja...even if you waited until this summer, you will still need to get your internet service up and going. It has to be broadband (cable or DSL, etc) even for the XBox to work this summer! So, you might as well as get it fixed as soon as you can anyway. Dude, you seriously have no idea what you are missing, man...Halo on-line through Gamespy is utterly bad ass! The only other thing you need is a Switch or Hub and you're in business. It's free to play on Gamespy, too...so, it's no sweat!

By the way, I'm a very good Halo gamer...it's just that Jjax is utterly bad ass! No joke, dude... I've improved even more since I last played him...I think I could manage a few more kills compared to last time...but, it will take me a little longer to catch up to Jjax... Also, his buddy, NIK, is bad ass, too...You really have to see those dudes in action to believe it. It's frickin' D-Day playing those dudes! lol ...no joke.

I'm not trying to come across as if I am a pathetic Halo gamer...I'm not in the least. I've won many first places...it's just that Jjax, especially when teamed up with NIK, are, seriously, unstoppable... Jjax claims to be undeafeted...I don't doubt it. lol

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by maneatingcow-XBA
Man, the more and more you all talk about how fun it is, you are all tempting me to get back on (I have everything needed).

But the more I hear about JJaX makes me want to stay away, for fear of recieving a beating like the poor fellow in JJaX's sig....

Dude, maneating!! You were one of the main reasons why I got on-line, man! Get your ass on there, dude! You are missing out with some good times! I'll be on this Friday night with a total of 3 or 4 dudes...it's gonna be some great times! And, yes...many brewskies :D

kazual
02-05-2002, 02:36 PM
I can't wait to get online and be schooled by Jjax..

Lately I have been playing alot of multiplayer halo ( I have alot of time on my hands :)) and I have been getting quite good..

Hopefully I can get on gamespy soon and see how many times my ass can be handed to me.. woot!

kaz

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by kazual
I can't wait to get online and be schooled by Jjax..

Lately I have been playing alot of multiplayer halo ( I have alot of time on my hands :)) and I have been getting quite good..

Hopefully I can get on gamespy soon and see how many times my ass can be handed to me.. woot!

kaz

lol, Kaz...dude, if you have Broadband (DSL or Cable, etc), all you need in addition is a HUB or Switch and a couple CAT 5 cables. If you like Halo us much as we all do, which seems to be the case, and you like to play mutli-player as you mentioned....then, GET YOUR ASS ON-LINE!! You have absolutely no idea what you are missing! It makes System Link even look bad! Mainly because there are more dudes and you don't know what their skill level is until you play them...it's fun as hell!

xboxhh
02-05-2002, 02:52 PM
i'll whoop you all online!! Naybe.

So here's my problem; I'm on a MAC. Does gamespy have a mac solution?

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by xboxhh
i'll whoop you all online!! Naybe.

So here's my problem; I'm on a MAC. Does gamespy have a mac solution?

lol, you are a bold dude, man! By the way, welcome to the forums :)

I think Gamespy can actually run on a Mac, too...it wouldn't hurt trying, of course. Go to www.gamespyarcade.com and find these two downloads (you will need them both) :

Gamespy Arcade software
Gamespy Tunnel software

You can find both of these at the XBox icon at www.gamespyarcade.com

By the way, I thought I was a bad ass Halo gamer until I went to Gamespy! lol...Man, at first, I got my ass cleaned!! Now that I have been playing on it for nearly a month, I have improved dramatically, so...if you get on-line, let's rock n' roll :D

JJaX
02-05-2002, 03:21 PM
JJaX + NiK + Shererboat confirming onlineplay around 7:00 EST.

GAMESPY ID
JJaX
NiK2DeeP <-----Probaly this one

Come one come all, see that its not just hype.

xboxhh
02-05-2002, 03:24 PM
it seems that it's a PC only thang -- the application is an .exe; PC only. Mac users have xbox's! it's true!! I'll just have to buy a PC I guess.

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by xboxhh
it seems that it's a PC only thang -- the application is an .exe; PC only. Mac users have xbox's! it's true!! I'll just have to buy a PC I guess.

Dude, that hugs ass...oh well, maybe you can email Gamespy and ask them directly to see if they have a Mac version... Just a thought.

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 03:33 PM
JJaX + NiK + Shererboat confirming onlineplay around 7:00 EST.

GAMESPY ID
JJaX
NiK2DeeP <-----Probaly this one

Come one come all, see that its not just hype.

lol, JJax...I'm quivering at the thought :D Dude, I'm sure people are already guessing that it's not hype... You are simply bad ass at Halo, dude. I'll get to where you're at sometime...Practice makes perfect, as they always say :D

By the way, who is the best of your three?

Also, did you see my new addition to my signature? I even gave you the credit for your idea :D

Sniper2
02-05-2002, 03:58 PM

Don't worry about the upstream...if you have broadband, you're in great shape! It's possible to get everything for $10, but, I ended up spending about $50 because I didn't want anything that was too cheap. I bought the "Linksys 10/100 Workgroup Switch" (that's exactly what it's called) and two CAT 5 cables. Then I downloaded the free software and have been playing on-line Halo in a state of bliss ever since :D So, get on-line!! Besides, by owning a Hub or Switch, you can use it to hook up to four XBoxes on four TVs and have a System Link fest at your own house for sometime later! So, the Hub or Switch can be used for many other things, too...if you ever need or want to :)

Hey maximus,

Do you happen of a specific switch or hub that is kinda a compromise between your $50 and the $7 swith you mentioned. I dont want the cheapest thing out there either but $50, thats another game I could have. Anyway, the reason I mentioned something about the upstream is because I'm pretty sure I have a problem with mine. I tested it and I got 1223 down/ 121 up kbps. I think there is a problem with those numbers, though someone with more computer knowledge than me would know better. I'll post on the main board and see. Anyhow, if after reading this you still think I'm cabable of online play then I may just be buying myself a switch.

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 04:05 PM
Well, Sniper...if you have Cable or DSL, it will work without any problems.

Just so you know, any 10/100 Hub or Switch will work. Just go to Comp USA or something and see what they have...just make sure it's 10/100. Anything less won't work, that's for sure.

Also, you will need to have a total of three CAT 5 cables...your broadband modem should already have one, so, no problem with that one. If you don't have any more than that one, you'll need two more. They are not that expensive.

Also, by the way, even if everything does cost $50, I gaurantee you won't want to buy a new game for awhile! Playing Halo on-line not only feels like you got a new game...it feels like you got a whole new system! It's sweet!!! Also, if you have Tony Hawk 2X and/or Nascar Heat, you can play those on-line through Gamespy as well :) I won't be surprised when they add a few more games on there...I can hardly believe this thing is free! Wow! It's worth it, dude...you'll see!!

nik2deep
02-05-2002, 05:04 PM
Sup ALL...I guess you know who this is.....IT D-DAY!!!!!!!! Reppin NJ...

"Who wants some" ~duke Nukem!!!!!!!!

:cool:

Sup Maximus...this is NIK...if you haven't figured it out...Just cashin' in on this forum.............

Pe@cE

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by nik2deep
Sup ALL...I guess you know who this is.....IT D-DAY!!!!!!!! Reppin NJ...

"Who wants some" ~duke Nukem!!!!!!!!

:cool:

Sup Maximus...this is NIK...if you haven't figured it out...Just cashin' in on this forum.............

Pe@cE

FINALLY! Man, I get to meet and converse with the dude that put my ass in a sling on Halo! :D

Man, you and JJax are unbelievable...I'll be on Gamespy tonight. And, yes, I have improved vastly since we last played, however, I am still not to where you and Jjax are. If you guys want to play, I will sacrifice my Master Chief for your carnage pleasure :D But, that won't happen without a decent fight.

I doubt your remember, but, I actually got one high-light after battling you and Jjax...I popped both you and Jjax in the head with a Sniper Rifle earning the Double Kill....but, after that, you both waxed my ass pretty bad :D

Snoopy7548
02-05-2002, 05:30 PM
max, does the switch come with a cat-5 cable? or do i have to buy another one separately?

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 05:50 PM
max, does the switch come with a cat-5 cable? or do i have to buy another one separately?

No, the Switch (or HUB) does not come with CAT 5 cable(s). You will have to purchase those, too, if you need them. They aren't very expensive...$5 or so...depending how long you want or need them to be.

nik2deep
02-05-2002, 06:42 PM
i doubt it comes with a cat 5...and plus you will need more than 1....you will probably need 3
one of which will be longer
the one that goes from the switch to the box....

l Maximus l
02-05-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by nik2deep
i doubt it comes with a cat 5...and plus you will need more than 1....you will probably need 3
one of which will be longer
the one that goes from the switch to the box....

Hey, Nik..did you see my reply to you from earlier?

By the way, I'll be on-line tonight...I'll look up you and Jjax...for some reason I'm in the mood to get an enima :D

kazual
02-05-2002, 10:14 PM
Yah problem is I live in a small town and currently the local DSL internet provider is all booked up.. I have been on the waiting list for like 4 months and should get DSL in a month or two.. It better hurry up though I am sick of waiting for it. It's bull**** that a company won't supply the people when a helluva lot of us want it around here..

l Maximus l
02-06-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by kazual
Yah problem is I live in a small town and currently the local DSL internet provider is all booked up.. I have been on the waiting list for like 4 months and should get DSL in a month or two.. It better hurry up though I am sick of waiting for it. It's bull**** that a company won't supply the people when a helluva lot of us want it around here..

Dude, that hugs! Well, it will be worth the wait...just make sure you practice Halo before going on-line. I thought I was bad ass at the game before going on-line...but, next thing I knew, my ass was beaten down!

Now that I have about one month of carnage while playing on-line, my skills have improved drastically...so, it's important to practice in the mean-time...you will absolutely love it when you see what Gamespy is all about! It's tight!!!

l Maximus l
02-07-2002, 10:36 AM
I played Ty last night who is from these forums! It was great!! I'd also like to point out that I kicked some ass :D hehe

Snoopy7548
02-07-2002, 04:21 PM
max, do u know where i could get a cat-5 cable connector, to connect 2 cables?

nik2deep
02-07-2002, 04:25 PM
max, do u know where i could get a cat-5 cable connector, to connect 2 cables?

why would you want to do that? connect two cables...just get a longer cable....the only rational way I can think is the get a longer cable...and the onyl rational wayt to connect them is with a hub or switch

l Maximus l
02-07-2002, 04:28 PM
I agree with NIK...just never use a CAT 5 cable longer than 50 feet if you can help it...but, definately not longer than 100 feet.

Snoopy7548
02-07-2002, 06:57 PM
i need a cable longer than 50 feet, my computer is pretty far from my room, i cant find any cables under 500 feet, but over 50 feet, i was thinking that i could buy a 50 and a 15 foot one and connect them, so it would be long enough