PDA

View Full Version : GunGriffon vs. MechAssault: Which one deserves our hard earn $50?

MixMasta
12-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Well, I was reading the MechAssault 2 MP impressions thread, and someone mentions this GunGriffon game, of which I have never heard of. Check EB Games, and I find out it comes out next week, two weeks before MA2. I read up on it on IGN, and it is sounding pretty damn sweet. Both this game and MA2 are Live, and since I suspect most of us here aren't diehard mech simulator fans, which one of these games do you think is most worthy to be purchased??

I think I found another game to add to the Xmas List!

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/244257.jpg

In GunGriffon, you take on the role of a renegade soldier, enlisted in an anti-tank troop, who's prime mission is to take down armored tanks, the ultimate ground weapon used to destroy the earth and any living thing that gets in its way. You use their entrusted machine called a "High Mac" (High-Mobility Armored Combat System) to fight the battery of armed soldiers and sinister machines that await you on the battlefield.

Xbox Live Compatibility: A thrilling online multi-player mode where players will be able to form teams with other players online, taking down the strongest of enemies with quick and smooth communications using the voice chat function within the game.

A Variety of Modes: The new GunGriffon features single-player, multi-player, and online modes, all designed to offer the maximum in game play excitement.

The Ultimate Weapon: The "High Mac" is a next generation high mobility weapon used throughout the game as the player's ultimate weapon and ally. Players will use their high mac to move through the treacherous battlefields, with its arsenal of weapons that change depending on battlefield conditions.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/245028x.jpg

Pull the trigger… Lethal destruction from a whole new perspective is at your finger tips. A lucky shot mangled your MadCat. It's payback time. Suit up in BattleArmor and seek an enemy 'Mech to "jack." What's yours is yours and what's theirs is yours too… if you're good enough. Crush the Word of Blake in campaign mode or take the fight online with Xbox Live. When you’re ready… join a Clan and rule the universe… it's called Conquest.

Limited Edition Bonus Features:

Never Before Seen Footage: Exclusive G4TechTV production and interviews with the creators of MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf

Two Exclusive Multiplayer Maps: Playable on Xbox Live and System Link:

Map 1:
Name of Map: "Mountain High"

Supports 4 multiplayer game types all of which are team based games. They are called Team Destruction, Check It, Snatch it and Base War. They are variants of different multiplayer game modes, kind of like Halo has Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch, etc.

You’ll be able to play this map on: Xbox Live (2-12 players), System Link (2-12 players), Split Screen (2 players)

When you’re playing this map it will support the following Xbox Live features just like in the full game (hence, you can see your friends lists, see what clans you belong to, send text and voicemail messages).

Supports 1-2 (splitscreen) players playing against bots, known as “Grinder” in MechAssault. You start with a stable of 'Mechs and face endless increasing waves of enemies. This is good for the guy who doesn't have Live, any friends or wants to practice against the AI before he goes and plays against friends via Xbox Live, System Link or Split Screen.

Map 2:
Name of Map: "Troubled Waters"

Supports 1 Multiplayer gametype Destruction (Free for all)

When you're playing this map it will support the following Xbox Live features just like in the full game (hence, you can see your friends lists, ee what clans you belong to, send text and voicemail messages).

Supports 1-2 (spitscreen) players playing against bots, known as "Grinder" in MechAssault. This is good for the guy who doesn't have Live, any friends or wants to practice against the AI before he goes and plays against friends via Xbox Live, System Link or Split Screen.

Features:

Get out of that 'Mech: In MechAssault 2, you're the man, not the machine. So, for the first time ever, you'll now have the ability to get in and out of your ‘Mech to experience warfare up-close and personal. Attach to ally and enemy ‘Mechs, scale walls, or hitch a ride on a VTOL aircraft.

Protect yourself: With BattleArmor, you can hijack enemy ‘Mechs and use them to help your teammates rain down destruction on opponents.

Get a new sense of scale: MechAssault 2 uses the graphic superiority of the Xbox to introduce a new perspective that allows you to fully appreciate the size and power of your massive ‘Mechs. With action and graphics this realistic, you'll feel like you've been fully immersed into a world where 40-foot ‘Mechs reign supreme.

Enjoy a compelling, brand-new single-player experience: Delve into the deeply enhanced single-player campaign, filled with seamless storytelling that opens up the universe to a more compelling single-player experience.

Experience evolutionary Xbox Live gameplay: Battle for the Inner Sphere against opponents from around the globe via Xbox Live. Whether you live in the United States, Sweden, or anywhere inbetween, you can strategize with teammates about the most effective way to search-and-destroy, while talking trash in real-time to opponents from Germany to Japan.

Bring on the destruction: MechAssault 2 pushes the graphical capabilities of Xbox. Experience more incredible explosions and devastating destruction. Witness intense, jaw-dropping weapon and damage effects. See lasers light up the sky, Raptors disappear, and Javelin LRM launchers fly though the air, wreaking havoc on the evil Hand of Blake.

shrew king
12-08-2004, 12:13 AM
I think I'll actually rent the Griffon game, sounds interesting.

My problem with Mech Assault, the main one anyhow, was that it didn't feel like you were a mech. That could have been due to a number of things: faulty camera positioning, scale, sound, etc. I'll rent each of them, but from what it sounds like, the developers of Mech Assault seem to have been pretty pleased with the first one, which seems kind of strange considering how mediocre many aspects of it were.

Duke
12-08-2004, 12:03 PM
I have no idea how the MA game will be, but I'm pretty sure I played a GunGriffon demo and hated it. Bad.

So I vote MechAssault.

mattgame
12-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Mechassault for me. I loved this game.

X-Fan
12-14-2004, 04:59 PM
umm this is not my cup of tea but i do think ma is more established and the controls are sweet so i'd go with mechassault.

MerimacHamwich
12-14-2004, 11:57 PM
I'm down with the kingster. MechAssault 1 was cool, but definetly a rent, not a buy. If they aren't going to change much, like the whole feeling of being a Mech, I am not going to get it. Probably won't even rent it.

lax_defense
12-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Mecahassault one was hella fun on xbl.

TheWheelMan
12-15-2004, 06:41 PM
**** the stupid japanese mechs go with Mechassault 2 the first one was kick ass and the 2nd one is ganna be 10 times better with all the new features and such :)

DOOM
12-15-2004, 09:52 PM
I have an un opened GUNGRIFFEN in front of me....
HOW the HELL is it????
Anyone????
Its TECMO!!!
How bad can it be???
Looks freaking awesome on the box...

-Natas-
12-15-2004, 11:26 PM
GunGriffon will be getting my $50 (after the holidays as I'm broke at the moment). I would not take MA2 if it was given to me as I hated MA. It was just not a very good mech game IMO. I have more fun playing mechwarrior 2 on my saturn then I do playing MA. :watchout:

borka105
12-16-2004, 03:54 PM
best XBL game has returned...

Mechassault 2 is my most anticipate GOTY.....

can't wait to pop this baby on winter break... :)

-borka15

Reclaimer
12-17-2004, 03:03 AM
I played MA a little when I first got XBL and I really didn't like it. I have to agree with Shrew, I just hated how the mech felt. Maybe they changed that.

Madhattr
12-20-2004, 09:55 PM
I played GunGriffon for Sega Saturn, it was amazing. MA is such a bulky ****ty feeling to play. GG is like Anime style mechs, you know the ones that unlease hundreds of missiles while you race through the air and you can turn and dodge quickly.
MA is too slow and cumbersome, I didn't find the first one to be that impressive.