PDA

View Full Version : Spike TV's Game Award winners!!

skorp
12-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Don't know where to put this thread... Oh well... I guess here...

The Results:

Best Gaming Publication: Game Informer

Best Song in a Video Game: American Idiot by Green Day (Madden2005)

Best Military Game: Call Of Duty: Finest Hour

Best Role Playing Game: Fable

Best Mass Mulit-Player Game: City Of Heroes

Best Handheld: Metroid: Zero Mission

Best New Technology: Nintendo DS

Best Graphics: Half Life 2

Best Wireless Game: Might and Magic

Best PC Game: Half Life 2

Best First Person Action: Halo 2

Designer of the Year: Jason Jones (Halo2)

Best fighting Game: Mortal Kombat: Deception

Best Soundtrack: GTA: San Andreas

Best Sports Game: Madden 2005

Best Action Game: GTA: San Andreas

Pontiac GTO Best Driving Game: Burnout 3: Takedown

Cyber Vixen of The Year: BloodRayne (BloodRayne2)

Best Performance by a Human Male: Samuel L. Jackson (GTA:SA)

Best Performance by a Human Female: Brooke Burke (NFSU2)

Best Game Based on a Movie: Chronicles Of Rid****

Game of the Year: GTA:SA :bang:

Satisfied? ... Anyone?....

Darkside
12-15-2004, 01:17 AM
Cybervixen: should be cortana!

Reclaimer
12-15-2004, 01:27 AM
Best First Person Action: Halo 2

Designer of the Year: Jason Jones (Halo2)

As long as those two categories came out like that.. I'm happy.

Young_Fledgling
12-15-2004, 01:36 AM
san andreas game of the year was bs.... it should have been half life2

San andreas just win cuz it was run by black peeps :D and its a thuggin game YO!

lol. sorry i am just bitter :D

Variation-XBA
12-15-2004, 02:43 AM
The show was a joke and it makes real gamers look bad...sigh.

mrmp3
12-15-2004, 06:33 AM
I could've sworn that they added laughter sound effects for all the jokes. The show was pitiful, I couldn't watch it at all. The people there looked mostly like professionals. And they were applauding and clapping like they were excited, but not like pop teen excited. Yah know, screaming their heads off and going "OMG! 1t's sn00p d0gg!" It seemed geared more towards a TRL type audience. Show sucked, the jokes sucked, they were trying waaaaaayyy too hard. Couldn't stand watchin it. Don't bother catchin a re-run.

cajuntexan00
12-15-2004, 06:50 AM
Completely agree with Variation. This show is stupid. GTA:SA has average-poor graphics, and ok gameplay. Don't get me wrong its fun, but they should reward someone that does something innovative and new!

Ninjermy
12-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Halflife 2 or Halo 2 shuda taken game of the year but w/e. Ya it was funny the way it was run by all da rappers and the audience was all professional. Spike TV, you tried :ROFL:

TOTTEN
12-15-2004, 09:00 AM
Game of the Year: GTA:SA :bang:

Thats the biggest bunch of bs ever.

Max33
12-15-2004, 11:43 AM
I'm gettin kinda sick of these "award shows".

Cyber vixion of the year. Gimmie a break.

JJXB
12-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Cyber Vixen of The Year: BloodRayne (BloodRayne2)

i wonder why that is *cough*playboy*cough*

BananaMan
12-15-2004, 12:56 PM
they were better than last years. but i mean you have to expect GTA:SA to get GoTY. I'm glad Half-Life 2 got PC game of the year, and Halo 2 got some awards too.

TheWheelMan
12-15-2004, 01:35 PM
Well im glad i missed it this year i remember the one last year.....i watched it for like 10mins and i couldnt stand no more it was a joke and a humilation to all gamers.

Jamo
12-15-2004, 02:03 PM
This was no award show this was a popularity contest. I didn't bother watching it at all because I knew what the outcome would be. OMG!!! GTA GTA GTA GTA BLA BLAH bleh.... !!!

BuLLsEyEWTF
12-15-2004, 02:06 PM
wasnt there sum kind of "overhyped game of the year" category or sumthing? i thought i heard sumthing like that...o and gamespot also won for fav gaming site or sumthing like that

LTM360
12-15-2004, 02:23 PM
This show disrespects every human who considers themselves a 'Gamer'. Yeah we'd like to see boobs, and women (who doesn't)? But the show almost stereotypes Real Gamers as Rap-loving people who'll never ever ever ever see a women.

Best Song is a game; every single song in that category was from an EA Game. Best Soundtrack... all was rap oriented soundtracks. Every human who considers themselves a gamer also would've never in a million years wanted to see GTA: San Andreas GotY, because most gamers know GTA isn't the best there is. Metal Gear Solid 3 got screwed out of the two awards it was nominated for. Best Action Game, and Game of the Year. If C.J.'s "homies" don't even touch Snake. Grand Theft Auto and EA (except Burnout 3) can burn in hell for being an absolute disgrace to games.

Highlite23
12-15-2004, 02:24 PM
I missed it, but the only catagory I have a problem with is GOTY...please, I can think of at least 5 games more deserving.

Oh well, what do they know anyway. :cool:

Hugopolo
12-15-2004, 02:30 PM
I stopped watching after I saw Snoop Dogg turn himself off on the TV. Sorry but I dont think snoop dogg makes a very good host for a video game show. The same goes for G4s crappy awards two( Jamie Kennedy?)

ramprider0
12-15-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm glad I didn't waste my time watching it last night! But I everything I really wanted to win won! I voted Halo 2 in every category that I could and I voted for Bloodrayne in the cyber vixen of the year and the Nintendo DS got my vote for best new tech. and I think I voted for Burnout 3 a few times as well.

halofreak101
12-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Quote:Grand Theft Auto and EA (except Burnout 3) can burn in hell for being an absolute disgrace to games.

Damn! calm down! EA has alot ofgood games. I am not saying that the show was crap but that statement was a little crazy man... As for Grand Thft Auto, the games are decent but it shouldnt have one GoTY.

LTM360
12-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Quote:Grand Theft Auto and EA (except Burnout 3) can burn in hell for being an absolute disgrace to games.

Damn! calm down! EA has alot ofgood games. I am not saying that the show was crap but that statement was a little crazy man... As for Grand Thft Auto, the games are decent but it shouldnt have one GoTY.

In case you didn't know there's a 'QUOTE' button at the bottom right of each post. For refference, not being a jackass. :)

As for EA having alot of good games, I couldn't disagree more. The only game that comes from EA that's worth anyone's time is Burnout 3: Takedown. Which is easily the best racer ever made. Now, if you wanna say "LTM, you're giving EA credit." Hell No I'm not. EA didn't develop Burnout 3, Criterion did. And guess what, EA uses their servers for Burnout 3... what? "The game lags and is really f-ed up after every online racer to the point where the game is funner single player? EA ruined the online play?" I rest my case that EA will find someway to ruin great games. They managed to keep Burnout 3 from being GOTY of 2004 in my book because of how horrible the game is online. Game modes rule, but the technical issues are so rediculously awful. You have to resign-in after every race.... half the time you get kicked offline anyways...

Crazy Joe
12-15-2004, 03:20 PM
am i the only one that noticed that when Samuel L. Jackson accepted the award for GTA: San Andreas, that he called it Grand Theft Auto 2 TWICE!! I mean if you are going to get a celebrity to accept the award, at least be sure they know what the game is called!

skorp
12-15-2004, 06:23 PM
I didn't agree with some winners of course.

But I thought Halo 2 should have won GOTY... Or Half-Life 2 or even FarCry. Or...

I guess I don't really understand what they were really looking for in a GOTY game?! :huh: :rolleyes:

I guess if Halo 2 could win an award in the "music" category in a gaming awards they should have another category just like the Academy Awards like "Best Music (Score)" or "Sound Mixing" ... and the winner is HALO 2!!!! YAY! :hail:

Also, I thought maybe ESPN 2k4 would win Best Sports Game....

LTM360
12-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Also, I thought maybe ESPN 2k4 would win Best Sports Game....

You're a fool to think the better/unpopular/notsomainstream sports game would win over the mainstream God Madden is. They've gotta please the majority of casual gamers who've never bothered to play ESPN and think it sucks.

skorp
12-15-2004, 06:58 PM
You're a fool to think the better/unpopular/notsomainstream sports game would win over the mainstream God Madden is. They've gotta please the majority of casual gamers who've never bothered to play ESPN and think it sucks.

You're right! What was I thinking!!!

and I thought an Xbox game had a better chance at winning GOTY! Just to many PS2 owners/ voters out there...

xbox genius
12-15-2004, 07:27 PM
dang GTA SA is getting lots of respect... i wish i have a ps2 to play it... i have heard alot of good things about it

natedog8
12-15-2004, 07:40 PM
dang GTA SA is getting lots of respect... i wish i have a ps2 to play it... i have heard alot of good things about it
have you played any of the other ones?
its a LOT like those

BlindSniper
12-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Spike TV is biased in my opinion, but those are pretty legit winners!

Dyslexic Chaos
12-16-2004, 01:54 AM
Here are my opinons on each of the "winners" and my choice...

The Results:

Best Gaming Publication: Game Informer (Complete BS, EGM owns GI by far)

Best Song in a Video Game: American Idiot by Green Day (Madden2005) *WTF!?!?, everyone knows the best song in a game is the Katamari Damacy theme)

Best Military Game: Call Of Duty: Finest Hour (Ahaha, This over RS3: BAand since when is "Best Military Game" a catergory? Guess they squeeze in sponsors where they can...)

Best Role Playing Game: Fable (Good, but not great. This over KOTOR 2, Paper Mario, Tales of Symphonia, etc. etc..)

Best Mass Mulit-Player Game: City Of Heroes (I agree completely. WoW pretty much just came too late. FFXI is the only game I could see actually being better, but I myself prefer CoH anyway.)

Best Handheld: Metroid: Zero Mission (Over Astro Boy? No)

Best New Technology: Nintendo DS (Well, with the exeption of the new GFX cards this year, yes. WTF else "new" game related technology was there thi year though? The N-Gage QD?!?)

Best Graphics: Half Life 2 (Yes, they actually got something right)

Best Wireless Game: Might and Magic (Never played it, so i cant tell you)

Best PC Game: Half Life 2 (Yup, on the money.)

Best First Person Action: Halo 2 (another Winner)

Designer of the Year: Jason Jones (Halo2) (Sure, why not)

Best fighting Game: Mortal Kombat: Deception (ahahahahaa. DOA: U or GGX2: #Reload)

Best Soundtrack: GTA: San Andreas (I liked Halo 2's much more. It doesn't feel sooo... Cut and Pastey, if you know what i mean...)

Best Sports Game: Madden 2005 (ahahaaha... seriously? ESPN NFL/NHL 2K5, Mario Power Tennis, Smackdown! Vs RAW, hell, even Tiger Woods 2005, but MADDEN? Goddamn mainstream pricks.)

Best Action Game: GTA: San Andreas (IMO, yes. I know it's Not everyones bag, but let me have my opinion guys...)

Pontiac GTO Best Driving Game: Burnout 3: Takedown (WTF, is this category sponsored by Pontiac, or it has to feature a GTO or WTF? Anyway, yes, agreed.)

Cyber Vixen of The Year: BloodRayne (BloodRayne2) (over, like has been said, Cortana?)

Best Performance by a Human Male: Samuel L. Jackson (GTA:SA) (He does a very good job, but like has been said, he has NO IDEA about games. Oh well, I still think it's funny when people refer to GTA3 as the "First GTA". lol.)

Best Performance by a Human Female: Brooke Burke (NFSU2) (Breast female perfomance is more like it.)

Best Game Based on a Movie: Chronicles Of Rid**** (Uhh.. Technically, it's a prequel to the movie and such, but still an AWESOME game. Very deserving.)

Game of the Year: GTA:SA (No. Fantastic, IMO, yes. But GoTY? No. Half Life 2 or Halo 2.)

Well, them's my 2 cents.

DemonLoki
12-16-2004, 03:35 AM
This was one of the lamest attempts to use every HipHop cliche imaginable.
Girls reading cheat code?
D/J yelling all ghetto?
Snoop Dogg self promoting?
Nerd fest...

Casper
12-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Tycho from PA had a great write-up for the show, as he was at it:

Things have certainly taken a turn for our heroes! Fear not, dear readers. I have faith our rollicking conclusion will satisfy readers in general - and homosexuals in particular.

I can always eulogize Sony Style, and I'll probably get around to it Friday. I was on a plane twice yesterday, and I'm not sure but I think that at some point I attended the Spike TV Video Game Awards, so I should probably transcribe those hazy visions. Robert and I went down there, I don't remember why Gabe didn't fly as well, but I understand that he's pretty focused on his new rogue. We got out of here at noon and we came back at midnight, which is itself a kind of ridiculous feat whose effects I may never recover from. Airborne pressure appears to be stored up beneath my molars, piping from time to time like a calliope.

I think that it's well understood that the realm of live television is the realm of artifice. However, I propose that it is one thing to feel reasonably assured that it is a construct and another thing to literally behold a hangar full of its mechanical guts. The awards show itself was a relentless, punishing spectacle punctuated from time to time by odd exchanges, strange victors, and product placement.

I do not hold it against them that they did not feature gamers of the sort that I would recognize. I have no interest in seeing a person who looks like myself on television. At the same time, I think there may be a gaming culture and a gaming aesthetic that is definable and does exist. The musical elements of the show I found immensely entertaining, but I did not recognize or resonate with the lion's share of what was happening. This is something else I don't hold against them. I think that the process started by Sony's Playstation is now one hundred percent complete. I think that what has happened is that we are no longer relevant. Gaming culture has been seized, reconfigured, and commodified and programs like this are just the taut skin over a pulsing boil.

If we wanted to catch our plane, we had to cut out early - which meant skipping the "afterparty" said to feature the prince of the dirty souf, Ludacrisp. There was an image of him on the ticket, and he had been modified with Photoshop or perhaps Goo to make his left arm large and imposing, like a fiddler crab's. At any rate it seemed like a a dangerous arm and it's probably for the best that we avoided it.

www.penny-arcade.com

shrew king
12-19-2004, 04:59 AM
It appears Snoop Dogg will be anyone's b*tch if given a little money.

gingerj
12-19-2004, 01:44 PM
What a sorry excuse of a game award show.

Best fighting Game: Mortal Kombat: Deception err No? Street Fighter Anniversary, Guilty Gear Reloaded, DOA Ultimate would of been a better choice.

Game of the Year: GTA:SA err nope! I would of chosen Metroid Prime 2, Fable, Paper Mario 2, Katamari Damacy or Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater