PDA

View Full Version : Quick question-system link

Panda
12-18-2004, 12:31 AM
I need to hook up two xbox's but they will be in seperate rooms so the xbox system link cable isn't long enough and it's costly for a long enough crossover cable to get it to work

I have three computers sharing wireless internet and i'm pretty sure they're sharing it on a hub or switch(am i right?) can i then use this hub to connnect two xboxes with two standard ethernet cables? So each ethernet cable would hook up to the hub and the back of the xbox. Would this work? i've been searching google for an hour trying to find the answer to this question but to no avail..

JJXB
12-18-2004, 06:08 AM
the system link option is basically a LAN connection which means you should be able to as it does say you can use a hub to link them through a network. as long as both of the ethernet cables plug into the hub, it should work

Variation-XBA
12-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Think you might have to shell out the $ for the crossover if you want system link.

CRAYMAN
12-20-2004, 01:44 PM
I need to hook up two xbox's but they will be in seperate rooms so the xbox system link cable isn't long enough and it's costly for a long enough crossover cable to get it to work

I have three computers sharing wireless internet and i'm pretty sure they're sharing it on a hub or switch(am i right?) can i then use this hub to connnect two xboxes with two standard ethernet cables? So each ethernet cable would hook up to the hub and the back of the xbox. Would this work? i've been searching google for an hour trying to find the answer to this question but to no avail..

If that doesn't work, buy a coupler and a small section of crossover cable. You can then connect the ethernet plug to the crossover cable and it will work the same as having an extra long crossover cable. Ooooorrrr you can purchase a Nyko net extender which will also connect two Xboxes wirelessly sans crossover cable(which is what I do). :cool:

GreenFire
12-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Yes, you can plug it straight into your hub/switch. Just go buy a Cat5, Cat5e or Cat6 cable and run it from your xbox to your hub. Simple networking. Don't let these people make you pay more for stuff just because they dont know what they are talking about. Here, i'll even make you a little model.

XBOX---cat5 cable---HUB/SWITCH-----cat5 cable----XBOX

That will work.

Oh, definately dont buy a wireless. Thats dumb

CRAYMAN
12-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Yes, you can plug it straight into your hub/switch. Just go buy a Cat5, Cat5e or Cat6 cable and run it from your xbox to your hub. Simple networking. Don't let these people make you pay more for stuff just because they dont know what they are talking about. Here, i'll even make you a little model.

XBOX---cat5 cable---HUB/SWITCH-----cat5 cable----XBOX

That will work.

Oh, definately dont buy a wireless. Thats dumb

He's right(although an ass), if that's what you have.
Why is a wireless set-up dumb? It's easy and wires aren't running all over your house.

mrmp3
12-20-2004, 05:56 PM
the general impression is wireless is laggy. which in a sense I can agree with. I had an 802.11b wireless router for a while and to say the least it was horrible. jumpy and skippy like a MUH. i haven't had experience with the Nyko net extender but what I have experience with 802.11b was not a quality experience. Though I hear it's no problem with 802.11g and 802.11a .

CRAYMAN
12-20-2004, 06:02 PM
the general impression is wireless is laggy. which in a sense I can agree with. I had an 802.11b wireless router for a while and to say the least it was horrible. jumpy and skippy like a MUH. i haven't had experience with the Nyko net extender but what I have experience with 802.11b was not a quality experience. Though I hear it's no problem with 802.11g and 802.11a .

Did you try it with System Link???
I would propose that the lag you were experiencing was probably due to the online connection and NOT from the wireless set-up.
You're not going to get a bad experience with the wireless system link, I guarantee it. To each his own. :cool:

GreenFire
12-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Why wireless is dumb for system link:

When you are doing a system link game, you want the maximum throughput possible. If you were playing on xbox live, wireless B would be just fine, although it only transfers at 14mbps, your cable modem or DSL line will only upload to the internet at a max of 5mbps. For system link, however, you want to use the maximum the xbox supports, which is 100mbps. Wireless G is only half of that bandwidth. The only way to do this is with cat5/6 cable. Its more reliable, faster, cheaper, etc. Oh, and if you have to make your own cables, heres the standard 586B wiring code.

Orange/White Orange Green/White Green Blue/White Blue Brown/White Brown

You'll know what I mean when you open it up.

citosicarius
12-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Why wireless is dumb for system link:

When you are doing a system link game, you want the maximum throughput possible. If you were playing on xbox live, wireless B would be just fine, although it only transfers at 14mbps, your cable modem or DSL line will only upload to the internet at a max of 5mbps. For system link, however, you want to use the maximum the xbox supports, which is 100mbps. Wireless G is only half of that bandwidth. The only way to do this is with cat5/6 cable. Its more reliable, faster, cheaper, etc. Oh, and if you have to make your own cables, heres the standard 586B wiring code.

Orange/White Orange Green/White Green Blue/White Blue Brown/White Brown

You'll know what I mean when you open it up.

Since we're on the topic.. I've somehow managed to memorize a different color combination. Who the hell decided to change it several times? oh and not to be an ass, but you're slightly mistaken;

Orange/White, Orange, Green/White, Blue, Blue/White, Green, Brown/White Brown

Pair 3 is seperated across pins 3 and 6. This is to further dampen the effects of EMI and will help your connection reliability and speed.

GreenFire
12-21-2004, 09:28 AM
Yeah, youre right, I was tired last night. I know how to make em cause I network all day long. My bad

mattgame
12-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Wireless works fine for me. I wouldn't go any other way.